Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: There, Their, They're

I think this is a very interesting thread. One of my all time favorite books is George Orwell's 1984 and the use of Newspeak. How that seemed like such a crazy idea back in high school! And yet, how close are we coming? I've recently finished reading Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth, and must say there are parts of it I had a hard time with. The words, sentence structure, etc., are so much more complicated than what we've become used to. It was written in 1905, barely more than 100 years ago, yet I seriously doubt a lot of high school students would be able to grasp the language. Even here, in the thread about the New Orleans Insane Asylum -

(New Orleans (La.) City Insane Asylum Record of Patients, 1882-1884; 1888
    Sad yet interesting read:

http://nutrias.org/inv/cityinsaneasylum.htm )

some of the entry notes are almost poetic in the descriptions.

And so, as we move to double goodthinking, let us look fondly back to the days of flourishes and long words!

My peeve is 'too and to'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shano Guest
    100%!!Yaay! I is smart two! lol

Mrs Tingles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post

(New Orleans (La.) City Insane Asylum Record of Patients, 1882-1884; 1888
    Sad yet interesting read:

http://nutrias.org/inv/cityinsaneasylum.htm )

some of the entry notes are almost poetic in the descriptions.

And so, as we move to double goodthinking, let us look fondly back to the days of flourishes and long words!
    Oh my gosh! that was such an interesting read. The english language changes so quickly. 100 years from now, they may think that we are quite pompus
    Last edited by Mrs Tingles; 05-21-2009 at 03:24 AM.

Nicksmorbidfascination Guest
    [SIZE=+1]Correct!
    Your score is 100%

I speak terribly, a lot of "colloquial" language, I type how I think the word sounds in my head, therefore it gets pretty messy. I do try to draw the line with "me" and "yer" and "yous" instead of "my" and "you" and "you"...its hard being an Aussie country yobbo...
    [/SIZE]

don't_axe_me Guest
    We also have to deal with "are" versus "our". "Are kids are home." Agh.

And this is more verbal than written, but who in the world started the "supposably" crap? "Irregardless" is another....and of course "nucular".

Fujicakes Guest
    Oh, here's another one: affect and effect

100% Yay!!

I know people who will insist they always use spell check on emails, not realizing that it doesn't do everything for you. As long as it's spelled correctly the program thinks the job is done.

So must admit, I'm a bad speller.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    So must admit, I'm a bad speller.
    Me too, but fortunately spelling deputies have no power here.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I spell really good, some would say I spell perfect.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I spell right goodly like.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I spell right goodly like.
    Goodliness is next to Godliness, phonetically.
    Did I spell that good?
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

It annoys me when I see "should of" instead "should've" or "should have": I should of used spell-check instead of I should've used spell-check.

I had a coworker in a branch office who sent an email to everyone in every branch office/division (offices on at least five continents) that she was getting married on such and such a date, so her last name was changing from __ to __. Someone clicked "reply to all" to wish her a happy wedding day. THEN someone clicked "reply to all" stating something like "Please keep personal emails such as this within your department and/or building". That sender (I looked up his name in our directory) was one of the Grand High Exalted Mystic Executive Rulers !

To finally get to the point: someone in my building then clicked "reply to all" and said ***and I quote***: "Take me off you email list. I don't want to get any more you emails." Just about everyone in the building was totally embarrassed by that final email. Forget the fact that he got involved in that email - the rest of us just read them, deleted them and resumed working. To have anyone think that someone in our building had such poor grammar was like being in a posh restaurant with someone who takes their shoes and socks off and starts cleaning their toenails with the toothpicks.

I don't understand the misspelling of lose as Did you loose your head? Lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD