Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There, Their, They're

Keyser Soze Guest

95%. Dang it..I read the one I missed TOO fast. lol

don't_axe_me Guest
    100%....It's a peeve of mine.

trose Guest
    100% as well here.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. Do they not teach proper grammar in school any more? Doesn't seem like it. At least, not in our school system. Seems like all they teach is the FCAT.

gemini33 Guest
    100% for me too.

Pet peeve here also. Only time I might say the wrong form is when in chat or something, then I usually correct myself.

Keyser Soze Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    100% for me too.

Pet peeve here also. Only time I might say the wrong form is when in chat or something, then I usually correct myself.
    funny you said peeve, then I looked at your avatar lmfao

Mrs Tingles Guest
    100% yay! i speak english good

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    funny you said peeve, then I looked at your avatar lmfao
    I guess I'm a know-it-all when it comes to their, they're, there. Oh noes! I annoy myself!

rickenbacker Guest
    100% for me as well. Something that bothers me just as much is the misuse of apostrophes. If you have ten books, it is not "ten book's".

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I are smart. I got 100%.

guardmom2008 Guest
    100% which is a good thing, especially with me being a teacher. lol

don't_axe_me Guest
    Can we talk about you're/your now?

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Drives me nuts when I see them used wrong.

don't_axe_me Guest
    And how about when someone makes a mistake and types "opps, I made a mistake", instead of "oops,..."? I could go on and on.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I can't begin to describe how this kinda thing annoys me. I should take a Valium.

John Connor Guest
    For me it's loose and lose.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    100% for me too.

Same here! It's a huge pet peeve for me. My husband says I'm a spelling and grammar Nazi.

The ones that really get me are loose/lose, and an apostrophe in a plural - - glass's instead of glasses.

carebearsluv Guest
    100% piece o' cake

Fujicakes Guest
    100% :d

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    100% as well here.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. Do they not teach proper grammar in school any more? Doesn't seem like it. At least, not in our school system. Seems like all they teach is the FCAT.

...Welcome to Florida. 100% for me too. Pet peeve, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tingles View Post
    100% yay! i speak english good
    LMAO!!! Well joke you have there. *snort*

RogerV Guest

95% for me. Should have been 100% but I misread one of the questions. I'm an Idiot.

You're/your is another major peeve of mine:
    "Its cold out tonight. You're going to need your coat."

It has always been easy for me because where I came from the two words are pronounced differently.

"Your" rhymes with "door."

"You're" rhymes with "tour."

However, I do realize not everyone uses the broad Midwestern/Western accent that I do.

don't_axe_me Guest
    ...and then there's when someone uses "I" (as in "It made she and I very happy") because they think it sounds more edumacated than using the correct "me". Or, using the reflexive form..."If you you have any questions, feel free to call myself or my assisstant."

MorbidMolly Guest
    ...and then there's when someone uses "I" (as in "It made she and I very happy") because they think it sounds more edumacated than using the correct "me". Or, using the reflexive form..."If you you have any questions, feel free to call myself or my assisstant."

* giggle *....95 % here....got a they`re and a their conbobulated

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    95% for me. Should have been 100% but I misread one of the questions. I'm an Idiot.

You're/your is another major peeve of mine:
    "Its cold out tonight. You're going to need your coat."

It has always been easy for me because where I came from the two words are pronounced differently.

"Your" rhymes with "door."

"You're" rhymes with "tour."

However, I do realize not everyone uses the broad Midwestern/Western accent that I do.
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. "It's cold out tinight".

And, of course, there is y'all (plural), y'all's (possessive).

exp: Whereever y'all are going, you are going to need all y'all's stuff.

Noreen Guest
    I screw 'em all up, all the time. Doesn't bother me, I'm very fluent in typoneese

O, and the whole went/gone thing - exp: He should have went with me. ARRRGGG!

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    O, and the whole went/gone thing - exp: He should have went with me. ARRRGGG!
    And then there's "should of" instead of "should've" or "should have". That one in particular makes my skin crawl.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    100%....It's a peeve of mine.
    Me too. Proper grammar please

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Me too. Proper grammar please
    Oh yes, one of my pet peeves is you didn't axe me to go. UGH>

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    Oh yes, one of my pet peeves is you didn't axe me to go. UGH>
    LOL, that's right eh?

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    LOL, that's right eh?
    Okay, so that is your pet peeve eh? I happen to like it.

Correct!
    Your score is 100%.

YAY me!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

100%- I'm the grammar police around work.

I especially twitch at you're/your, and advice/advise.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    100% here as well...
    I spell pretty well...it's just my typing that sucks ass....

Impatience Guest
    100%. I'm a stickler for things like that. I wish there was a Two, Too, & To quiz.

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    I'm two busy write now to take that their quiz.

Flowergrrl Guest
    100%... I *twitch* too. lol My problem is the word "got"... I know I shouldn't say it *twitch* but it rolls out of my mouth so easily. *twitch twitch*

soonerpimp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    meeeee toooooo!

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Alot of what makes me twitch is when I go to the pet's section on Craigslist....I see people trying to sell their CHIWAWAS, or their DATSUNS, or even ROCKWILLERS and DALMASHUNS!!

Dude, if you cannot even spell the breed of dog that you have, maybe you shouldn't have one!!

don't_axe_me Guest
    Something I'm having to get used to here in the midwest is the elimination of "to be". "The car needs (to be) washed." "The dog wants (to be) walked."

100% for me as well. As a member of several message boards, I have always said that the Hags have the best grammar of them all. Great going, guys.

Pet peeve - Text messaging. It's ruining the English Language...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Mrs. Watson Guest
    100% for me, as well.

All of the phonetic crap in texting drives me insane. Have we become a nation of illiterates?

Its/it's is another pet peeve of mine. Very simple rule: Its= possesive. It's= it is.

I chat with a lot of friends on Facebook. One is a nurse with a master's degree. She uses all the "how r u?" stuff. It makes me want to scratch out my eyes. It's not as if she doesn't know better.

panda Guest
    I'm in the 100% club too!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    100% for me as well. As a member of several message boards, I have always said that the Hags have the best grammar of them all. Great going, guys.

I have to agree with you, as a Teacher I see essays from the 7th and 8th graders and they are written in text, I kid you not. Try grading those papers and seeing their faces when they get a bad grade.

NaCl Guest
    This is a HUGE peeve of mine! I have a good friend that misuses "myself" ALL THE TIME and it makes me nuts. "Give myself a call" as an example! People, let me tell ya, there is nothing wrong with using "I" or "me". Those are perfectly respectable words!

BTW I got 100% on the quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I have to agree with you, as a Teacher I see essays from the 7th and 8th graders and they are written in text, I kid you not. Try grading those papers and seeing their faces when they get a bad grade.
    Are you freakin' kidding me?

Truthfully, I hope when you see that you stop right there and put a big ole' F on their papers. This has got to stop!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    That one irks me to no end. Every time I see those I see those being misused I have to resist the urge to be a Grammar Nazi.

Mrs Tingles Guest
    For me it's scarred and scared. Loose and lose tick me off too Gonzo

Mrs Tingles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    YES! Some students put text language in their ESSAYS! Write the number two don't put 2!! ggggrrrrrrrrrrr lol. i'm a english nut