Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dearly Departed Tours - What Did You Think?

surfca2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    Neither of the 2 times I've been on the tour has traffic even been an issue, knot. It's quite honestly the shortest 3 hours I've ever experienced. Scott, and Richard both know what they're talking about, and I for one was grateful for all the little non-death related tidbits they threw in.

They didn't have to do that, but with the amount of knowledge they have about the city, and it's wacky cast of inhabitants, that just makes it that much more worth it as far as I'm concerned.

As for the mention of the house where the Dahlia killer may have lived - what exactly should be shown there? The lot where she was found is no longer a vacant lot, first of all, it's somebody's driveway. And the crime is UNSOLVED to this day!

You will not be able to find ANYBODY who can entertain, teach, and show you the places/things that Scott and DDT can anywhere else. It's an experience that can't even be described until you've experienced it firsthand. Maybe you'll enjoy it, perhaps you won't, but no one can say that they didn't get their money's worth.

Call me weird, but I'd rather see the front lawn where the Dahlia's body was actually found than the house of a guy whose son says might have been the killer.

Call me weird that I don't get excited about an old car parked in front of a house on Sunset. If I wanted to stop and stare at an old car I'd walk down to La Jolla Motor Car Company and look at them.

Call me weird that I don't really care one way or the other about Scientologists. Our tour guide seemed to have an unnatural fetish about them.

And for the last time, it has NOTHING to do with my "money's worth". I don't care about "money." The problem was that the tour became nearly all non-death related tidbits about has- been gay actors. You can easily take out the George Takei house, the house of naked David's (maybe that's why it's included), and most of that whole section of the tour and actually go to another DEATH SCENE like the tour is supposed to be about.

So sorry to get so many supposed "Death Hags" panties in a bunch just for giving my opinion of the tour.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-13-2009 at 07:49 AM.

surfca2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    hay i got an idea start ur own death tour cuz the true death hags are comfee right here surf dude

hell im always the one to say if u can do better pleez do

True Death Hags? No, TRUE Death Hags don't get excited about where George Michael pulled his pud. TRUE Death Hags don't care about where George Takei makes his breakfast or Richard Simmons does pelvic thrusts. They don't care about some nut who puts a dozen statues in his front yard nor do they care about where Paris Hilton douches. When you add up all of those and a dozen or 2 other unimportant, unrelated tidbits of uselessness, the time spent could have been much better allotted to another death scene. The tour starts out fine and then sinks into a second rate gay trivia contest and driver's name dropping.

Before leaving my house for the tour, we put together a backup itinerary from info gathered from Wikipedia maps and other on line sources. I'm glad we did. We ended up seeing more exciting sites in 1.5 hours of driving in my car (leaving out Syvester Stallone's mother's house and all the other crap) than in 3+ hours in that cramped van.

A TRUE Death Hag would want to see areas where MACABRE things actually occurred not some restaurant where Dean Martin used to belch.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Snoopy Guest
    Gotta let you know Scott..if it makes a difference..Your tour was the highlight of my trip to LA..you've got it down and your tour rocked..I still have the pic of my family and I in front of the Hollywood sign.. we never would have gotten that close if it weren't for your tour..You rock.

I guess you'll never understand the logistics of mapping a tour, time restrictions and geography. One think I do know, is what a "true" death hag is. I coined the term and I own it.

*edit* I just realized how much that sounded like I was taking my toys and storming home to mom. Heh, sorry about that. Just protective of my tour, and what I've created.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Let's see. I'm from Georgia, never been to Cali, much less LA, never mapped a tour of any kind, but I get it. What's not to get? I would be miffed if I took a tour that was filled with blocks of silence because there were no death scene spots from A to B, only to find out later that there were interesting places between the two. Of course, the whole tour would be in silence for me because I am deaf but, hey, I'd go anyway. You rock, Scot.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-13-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

knothere Guest
    hmmmmm where does paris hilton dooosh?

LOL

HA
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    It's funny. One of the things I remember most particularly about the tour was the very close proximity of 'Rydell High' to the LaBianca home. I guess it was the juxtaposition of such a happy thing with a tragic, horrific one. Anyway, it stuck with me.

Scott, your tour struck quite an intricate balance between the morbid, the bizarre, and the downright hilarious. It was an extremely memorable afternoon--it was two years ago--and we still talk about it.

And I will NEVER forget your playing (several times!) that tape of Liz Taylor screeching during an interview, I don't think I've laughed that hard since. And I LOVED waiting to see if Bob Barker would come out his back door and give us the finger (he didn't, dammit).

It's the little things, the small details that make something memorable.

surfca2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Let's see. I'm from Georgia, never been to Cali, much less LA, never mapped a tour of any kind, but I get it. What's not to get? I would be miffed if I took a tour that was filled with blocks of silence because there were no death scene spots from A to B, only to find out later that there were interesting places between the two. Of course, the whole tour would be in silence for me because I am deaf but, hey, I'd go anyway. You rock, Scot.
    I never said that there shouldn't be ANYTHING between point A & point B. And YES, in between there SHOULD be other sites mentioned that might not be morbid but just interesting, that's fine.....I get it...I get it.... I get it...... but there were entire neighborhoods in the tour that were nothing BUT gay actors' homes and other boring non-tragedy locations that could have been skipped entirely and instead put in another MORBID point C.

Ah forget it.

I sold my nightclub after 2.5 decades.....maybe I'll just buy a few passenger vans, get the permits and come out of my retirement and start a REAL Death Tour.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.

surfca2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    I guess you'll never understand the logistics of mapping a tour, time restrictions and geography. One think I do know, is what a "true" death hag is. I coined the term and I own it.

*edit* I just realized how much that sounded like I was taking my toys and storming home to mom. Heh, sorry about that. Just protective of my tour, and what I've created.

I believe I wrote that I "mapped a tour, drove the tour in my car"...saw MORE morbid sites in LESSER time....So I guess I DO understand. Brain surgery it ain't.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-14-2009 at 11:55 AM.

knothere Guest
    do u have 30 ppl in your car from all over the world

you can be as real as you want but you aint true

Desertrose Guest
    There are so many tours in the L.A. area, I have been on several doing the touristy, camera around the neck, waiting to see a movie star tour through Beverly Hills. The last tour I went on about 9 years ago, was extremely disappointing. It was a little costly, which hubby and I decided would be worth it, because it was the thing to do in Hollywood. However, our tour guide must have just landed here from a foreign country, because she knew very little, did the basic drive by pointing out homes in a very robot like voice, which by the way her accent was so thick you could only understand every 4-5 words. Very disappointing. She really didn't care too much about what she was doing, I guess it was just a job, but she brought so little to the table. Scott's tour is the only one I would take, and I hope to sometime very soon.

surfca2 Guest
    do u have 30 ppl in your car from all over the world

you can be as real as you want but you aint true

And what does the number of people in the vehicle have to do with the number of true death sites you can visit and the length of the tour? And what does it matter WHERE they are from? I could have had 50 Russians, Germans, and Bulgarians jammed in my vehicle like a clown car and it still doesn't change the facts.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-14-2009 at 01:46 PM.

lol, I'm done. Enjoy your thread.

surfca2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    lol, I'm done. Enjoy your thread.
    Me too. Have a good one.
    Last edited by surfca2; 11-14-2009 at 04:36 PM.

knothere Guest
    clown car n im done lol

ShellBell Guest
    I took the tour a little over a year ago. Loved it.... everything! All three plus hours, I was like a sponge soaking everything up. Among the thoughts in my head during the tour:

-Why is Bob Barkers house so seemingly near the street?
    -The football field where the finale of Grease was filmed-- it looks so much bigger on screen....
    -George Michael restroom stop- I didn't care if it was the men's room. I was going in.
    -The Labianca House- it isn't isolated at all.......there are lots of houses around
    -Trying to get a glimpse of the motel room where Janis died. Gawd, if walls could talk....

I hope to go back to LA next year and I am going to do all the tours, esp Helter Skelter. Can't wait.
    Last edited by ShellBell; 11-14-2009 at 08:17 PM.

knothere Guest
    if i cood i wood
    n id bring others
    in a heart beat
    n i think my cuz wood show me around 2
    when /if i ever go to hollywood the tour (scotts) the 1st stop on my thingys to do

cupcake187 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellBell View Post
    -George Michael restroom stop- I didn't care if it was the men's room. I was going in.

Didn't stop me either!! LOL.. the tour was awesome.. scott was awesome.. and the gardeners by the bathroom got a kick out of me going in there..

21. 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
    Reason
    More hostility toward other members. Enough.

Just got back from a great vacation, topped off by me and husband Alex taking the Dearly Departed Tour this past Sunday! I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you! The tour was a blast, and it was really great to meet Scott at the bookstore before the tour after being here on the boards for almost three years! Richard was an entertaining, informative and friendly guide- two big thumbs up to him! I hope my pictures all turn out. If so, I'll post 'em.

I wasn't sure how my non-Death Hag dude was going to take it all, but he turned to me after we we on our way and said: "That was a great tour!" He wants to do the Helter Skelter tour when we're in L.A. next time. He was a little grossed out by the Black Dahlia pictures (I had seen them before and read Hodel's book, so I knew the gruesome details), but found himself fascinated somewhat despite himself.

My final analysis: the tour was even better than I expected and a fast and very entertaining 2 and a half hours! I hope we'll get a chance to do them all.

John carpenter Guest
    I'm i always the last to Post?Scott totally Rocks & i watched Dearly Departed & The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter..I loved both. It would be so fun to hang with Scott & hear his take on different death sites. He has some cool stuff in his home..especially the pieces of Rocks & bricks from various places. Can't wait for Dearly Departed 2.

measureinlove Guest
    Jealous as heck of all of you! I'm creating a Death Hag Tour Bucket List and listing all the sites I need to visit and the tour is #1. Thank goodness I married someone awesome who doesn't think I'm a freak, even though I spent hours reading Buddy Holly's thread and staring at the crash scene pictures. ("Oh my god I think I see Ritchie's naked butt! ...I SEE THE PILOT'S FOOT STICKING OUT of the wreck, COME SEE!!!")
    Last edited by measureinlove; 08-25-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: no idea why i wrote "rickey"...i know his name!

measureinlove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by surfca2 View Post
    I never said that there shouldn't be ANYTHING between point A & point B. And YES, in between there SHOULD be other sites mentioned that might not be morbid but just interesting, that's fine.....I get it...I get it.... I get it...... but there were entire neighborhoods in the tour that were nothing BUT gay actors' homes and other boring non-tragedy locations that could have been skipped entirely and instead put in another MORBID point C.

Ah forget it.

I sold my nightclub after 2.5 decades.....maybe I'll just buy a few passenger vans, get the permits and come out of my retirement and start a REAL Death Tour.

You seem to be hung up on the "gay actors" thing. Time to build a bridge and get over it

Rosebud666 Guest

It's on my bucket list . . .

If God is willin' and the creek don't rise.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if the LaBianca home is occupied?

aedgar5000 Guest
    Not a dumb question. Yes, it is occupied. I believe the current occupants have been there since 1998.

Link

Note: The original address of 3301 Waverly was changed to 3311 Waverly.
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 08-25-2011 at 05:56 PM.

motherogod Guest
    I took my "I'm turning 40" bucket list trip to LA just to take the tour, and there were no disappointments! My friend and I took the Helter Skelter tour in the morning, then dearly departed in the afternoon. It was the best thing we could have done for our first day in LA! Saw everything I wanted to see in the span of a few hours. The guys are great and it is totally worth the trip. LOVED IT!

Andrea Guest
    I can't wait to get to L.A. and do Scott's Helter Skelter Tour! Am saving the pennies. Can't wait to see the Bern - Sebring house and the drive up Cielo!

I had a great time and I hope some day I can take it again.

deanfan Guest
    One of these days....I hope.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfan View Post
    One of these days....I hope.
    Indeed. I will find a way to take the Helter Skelter tour.

deanfan Guest
    Hope you do. I guess I'm gonna have to start an L.A. fund. Always wanted to go see the sights.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    I'm a SoCal native and I've been on two DD Tours so far. Loved both of them. Both times I've gone, Scott has been the guide. (Yay!). I think I have some weird crush on all the info he had in his head.

Helby Guest

Finally taking the tour!

May 5th get to take the tour finally! Gonna do the Helter Skelter and the Tragical History Tour! Any death hags in the LA area? I will be staying there for a few days...be cool to have a meet up. Or any advice would be sweet to. First time to LA. Staying at the Standard On Sunset!

Ty

www.tyhelbachphotography.com

June 16 for me! (Is it true that for an extra $20.00 they bring a shovel and we really get to see some dead celebs?)

Town Without Pity Guest
    Sorry, not me unfortuantly, but I hope you have a great time....well I don't doubt you'll have a great time. My next visit down south I'll for sure be there.
    Have fun

I took the tour today. Five stars! Met Scott and Brian. Brian did the tour. All the many positive reviews are correct. If you haven't done it, what are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    I took the tour today. Five stars! Met Scott and Brian. Brian did the tour. All the many positive reviews are correct. If you haven't done it, what are you waiting for?
    It was great to meet you. Thanks for the nice words!

andrea22 Guest

I took the tour this week. It was amazing.

After wanting to take the DD tour for years, I was finally able to do so this week -- and WOW is the only way to describe it. From meeting Scott and wandering around the shop, to actually seeing the sites with Brian, who was just the best guide anyone could ask for, I was thoroughly impressed and loved every single minute. I took along a semi-curious friend and she loved it as well. I am throwing out recommendations for the tour left and right.

Scott, it was a pleasure meeting you! We will definitely be back, hopefully soon.

Andrea
    Kansas City

Thanks, Andrea! It was nice to meet you as well. Thanks for coming on board and seeing our display of silly things. I love that stuff, and I think you do too. I appreciate you coming and your support. x

I would love to take it some day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I took the tour a second time on the Fourth and had a great time.

Glad to make your acquaintance, Scott, and 'twas good to see Brian again, too.

Some day; some day!

The Death Hag Weekend sounds like such a great adventure!

Sadly, I cannot participate this year - hopefully it will be a smashing success and become an annual event that I can enjoy once my circumstances improve; which is taking shape now.

Thanks Scott; and your team for a great web site and a wonderful forum.

I didn't even know that I was a Death Hag until I did a search for "Jayne Mansfield" on a rainy Sunday afternoon; and found FAD.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

man i wish i could go but afraid of flying. sad.

Hitchhike!

Everso Guest

Brian Donnelly

I thought I'd dedicate a thread to a great person I went to LA in 2011 and convinced my husband to do the tour with me and it had to be one of the highlights of my trip. It was a pleasure to listen to him and it's so obvious that he loves his job and knows his stuff. I sat at the front of the bus and every time he pointed out something that interested me, like the Lana Turner house, I would lean over and excitedly whisper or nudge my husband. He then started talking about a certain Hollywood Book and I muttered to my husband "Hollywood Babylon". Brian noticed me through the rear view mirror and said "It's people like you that make my job so great. I've been watching you nudging your husband the whole time I've been talking...." etc. etc. All I could do was sit there with a silly grin. If I only he knew how much that meant to me: the tour was such a thrill to me, to see the places that I've read so much about. The whole tour made me realise that I'm not the only one out there. My one regret was that I was talked out of staying at the Roosevelt Hotel. Next time I go, I will stay there and definitely take another tour!! (PS: I was also singled out at another tour I did. We did a Starline Tour before our Universal Studio trip and the tour leader asked the group to name all the members of the Rat Pack. When I mentioned Peter Lawford, he looked surprised and said that nobody could ever remember Peter Lawford- which I thought was kind of funny)

skaterags Guest
    I was in LA about a year ago and did the tour. I have wanted to do the tour since I read about Scott and Graveline tours back in the 80's. While I had hoped Scott was going to do the tour I have to say that I loved doing the tour with Brian. We are now FB friends, not that we are special since he told everyone on the tour to friend him. My plans at the moment are to retire in Hollywood. My wife mentioned not too long ago how I would fill my time if she died before I did. I said well, I will get up grab some coffee and go hang out at Dearly Departed.

I would love to go to a Departed tour. Question- do you do Nicole Brown Simpson's condo where she was killed??? Forgive me if that was answered. And, do you or can do you do requests?? Or do you need legal permission to have Nicole Brown's death location to be on it??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Tiffany. The Simpson crime scene isn't on the tour now. It won't be until construction on a nearby freeway is completed. In the meantime, we provide information for visiting this location on your own. Thanks!