Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback

MmmRavioli Guest

Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback

Anyone buy these yet? I just bought a Mountain Dew.

A quick lowdown - until June 13, they will be making Pepsi and Mountain Dew with natural sugar, the way they used to make it back in the day, instead of the now-customary high fructose corn syrup, which the big cola companies switched to sometime during the 1980s.

They've also gone back to the retro labels for a while. Seeeee?

I like the old Mountain Dew label much better. I don't know why they made it look so jaded and ugly. I guess the new label is more "mountainy"? More "rugged-looking"? Eh. I like this good old wavy-lettered hippy '60s label.

I've read a lot of different reviews online from people who've tried it.
    I'm not generally a huge Pepsi and Mountain Dew drinker anyway, but from what I can tell? It tastes very similar. Definitely not as fizzy. (And other people have said that too.) It doesn't seem to have as much of an aftertaste, either. While it tastes good, you don't feel the need to keep guzzling it. I am thinking that one subtle difference must be the absence of the highly addictive quality of high fructose corn syrup, which is in practically every bad-for-you food and drink nowadays. Okay, I know, sugar isn't any better, but... I can see why so many more people struggle with weight today vs. 30 years ago. Our food and drinks are getting more and more fake and full of strange additives.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I like the old labels too. I'm not a big Pepsi drinker either but I'll certainly try out the "new" version.

DeadRinger Guest
    The new old labels look great, but I loathe and detest Mountain Spew.

guardmom2008 Guest
    I agree, I like the old labels. I would try the Pepsi, can't stand Mountain Dew

angelo's ghost Guest
    I've been drinkin Mountain Dew for years and years now. Switched to diet dew a few years ago and love it. Would like to try the throwback kind, that's how I remember it back in the 70's and 80's. Too bad its not in the glass bottles anymore. Nothing tasted better than a cold frosty dew in a chilled glass bottle. I liked the old logo with the cartoon hillbilly fishin on the side of a mountain.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Nope....but I wish to hell they would make DP the way they used to....and I don`t mean packaging...* sigh *

Danny62 Guest
    Cool retro labels...I love that stuff. I am not much of a soda drinker anymore, used to be back in the day but I might try the Pepsi at least.

Actually we are off to the store for groceries I will have to see if they have them.

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    I LOVE Pepsi, and like Mt Dew...but try to stick to diet because of all the sugar.
    I would like to try these two though, why not?
    I too love the retro label...anything retro is awesome to me!

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Nope....but I wish to hell they would make DP the way they used to....and I don`t mean packaging...* sigh *
    My 17 year old son is a DP addict! He swears he needs DP rehab! He actually really likes the diet too, I wish he'd drink that over the regular.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Diet Rite is my favorite cola.
    The others seem to go flat after awhile.

I am no longer used to the old fashioned drinks. Sad.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnygirl12 View Post
    My 17 year old son is a DP addict! He swears he needs DP rehab! He actually really likes the diet too, I wish he'd drink that over the regular.

He must be a very special kid. We DP drinkers are a different breed .

vandal Guest
    not only are the labels different but these are also supposed to be made with natural sugar, has anyone tried them? im curious if they taste any different than the pepsi we drink now.

RubySlippers Guest
    oooh, i might get one today for lunch.

DexterKitty Guest
    I like Pepsi products but, for the most part I drink Mello Yello and Coke. Whoever made the comment about the glass bottles being the best is dead on. Nothing better than bottled soda.

Sam Guest
    I think we all need to go back to more natural things like sugar and even butter, all this fake stuff is killing us!

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    I wish we could get Dew here...I am trying to give up dark drinks to help with my efforts to whiten my teeth some, but NEED the caffeine. lol I gave up sugar, too, so Diet Dew would fill my needs. *sigh* For now it's limiting the coffee and drinking more lemonade (I hate plain water), and dragging assssssssssssssssss without the caffeine.

Danny62 Guest
    Can someone help me, All I Can find is this shit is made in mexico and only available in mexico!! WTF!!

anyone know if it will be available in the USA? But if its made in mexico I ain't buying it!!!

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Voodoo View Post
    I wish we could get Dew here...I am trying to give up dark drinks to help with my efforts to whiten my teeth some, but NEED the caffeine. lol I gave up sugar, too, so Diet Dew would fill my needs. *sigh* For now it's limiting the coffee and drinking more lemonade (I hate plain water), and dragging assssssssssssssssss without the caffeine.
    Mountain Dew has more caffine than Coke.

DisneyStacy Guest
    I bought it not realizing that it was any different than Pepsi I bought last week. I didn't even notice a difference but my husband did right away and didn't like it. I think it's fine and I think natural sugar is definitely better than high fructose corn syrup. I think they should all go back to using it!

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Mountain Dew has more caffine than Coke.

I know....lol. The only "clear" soda that I can find here is Miranda Citrus, and it's like Sprite, only a little more carbonated. Tastes great, but no caffeine.

Sam Guest
    I used to work with a girl who said her mother told her the best remedy for a headache was a Mountian Dew and a BC Powder.
    Now there's another blast from the past!

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    I used to work with a girl who said her mother told her the best remedy for a headache was a Mountian Dew and a BC Powder.
    Oh no shit! I remember those, too! But that makes sense, really. After all, isn't Excedrin Migraine just acetaminophen and caffeine? That knocks 'em out for me...

Danny62 Guest
    My doc told me one of the best things to do for a migraine is a soda. Its funny sometimes the cheap remedies out there.

And I did find some of the pepsi throwback at another walmart. Bought 4 bottles, I am drinking one and It tastes a little different for the better that is!

Dixie Girl Guest
    I might have to try it--I simply ignored it and figured it for yet another marketing gimmick to make money. I became addicted to Mountain Dew when I used to pull my 16 hour shifts at the hospital, and have not been able to kick the habit since then

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Girl View Post
    I might have to try it--I simply ignored it and figured it for yet another marketing gimmick to make money. I became addicted to Mountain Dew when I used to pull my 16 hour shifts at the hospital, and have not been able to kick the habit since then
    Its actually pretty good the pepsi that is....

Doesn't have such a surpy taste.

I wish they would make a Coke throwback, in glass bottles.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Dixie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    Oh Lord and then the shades of the old Pepsi vs. Coke wars would begin again!

Danny62 Guest
    Glass bottles rocked. Really the only way to have a cola!

kimba Guest
    I remember the old Dew!
    and the Hillybilly on the bottle!
    and each bottle had a different "bottled by" on it..
    bottled by Clem and Daisy
    Luke and Pansy
    that kind of stuff...

Actually, for the DP drinkers, there is a little town here in TX, Dublin, that still makes DPs with real sugar. They always have. They come in glass bottles, too. Everyone knows them as Dublin Dr Peppers. It's amazing the difference. It's like the corn syrup kinda coats your mouth, but with the sugar is a cleaner feeling. That may not make any sense, but I know what I mean. I used to be a huge DP drinker, then started on diet Cokes when they actually became drinkable. Diet DP was the WORST! In any event, if you ever get your hands on a Dublin DP, you'll love it!

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    Actually, for the DP drinkers, there is a little town here in TX, Dublin, that still makes DPs with real sugar. They always have. They come in glass bottles, too. Everyone knows them as Dublin Dr Peppers. It's amazing the difference. It's like the corn syrup kinda coats your mouth, but with the sugar is a cleaner feeling. That may not make any sense, but I know what I mean. I used to be a huge DP drinker, then started on diet Cokes when they actually became drinkable. Diet DP was the WORST! In any event, if you ever get your hands on a Dublin DP, you'll love it!
    They sell those at the 7th street barber shop here in Ft. Worth out of an old 1970's DP cooler for $1.00. I don't drink DP very often, but I love to have one with a good old fashioned greasy hamburger!

angelo's ghost Guest

Talking

If they came out with a Coke throwback wouln't they have to go back to adding cocaine?

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo's ghost View Post
    If they came out with a Coke throwback wouln't they have to go back to adding cocaine?
    That would RULE! Call it "really retro Coke"! If the truth be known the high fructose corn syrup is probably much worse for you than a micro-sprinkle of the powder.

I got to get some of this though, I'm a sucker for new..retro products.

Sam Guest
    That would be pre 1906 wouldn't it?

The Mt. Dew tastes like Sprite

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D3LIVIĆ?N View Post
    That would RULE! Call it "really retro Coke"! If the truth be known the high fructose corn syrup is probably much worse for you than a micro-sprinkle of the powder.

I got to get some of this though, I'm a sucker for new..retro products.

I am sure HFCS would be alot worse...that stuff is so bad for you!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I am sure HFCS would be alot worse...that stuff is so bad for you!
    wasn't there that crazy "red" color that was cancer causing? did they put that in dr pepper or coke?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    wasn't there that crazy "red" color that was cancer causing? did they put that in dr pepper or coke?
    You know I am not sure? I will have to look into that.

RubySlippers Guest
    this sorta answers my question...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_coloring

40. 05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
    Reason
    posted twice

angelo's ghost Guest

Talking

I remember the red dye scare. They stopped making red M&Ms for awhile. A bag of M&Ms was pretty boring without the red ones.

And that's a problem, why? LOL
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Mark Guest
    I triedthe pepsi. Pretty good.

opheliahardin Guest
    I remember the red dye scare. They stopped making red M&Ms for awhile. A bag of M&Ms was pretty boring without the red ones.

Yeah, the green ones weren't very good at coloring your lips like the red ones were....

WendyK Guest
    Rotten Teeth! I can always pick out a Dew Pepsi Grill!

They do, my husband buys then whenever he can find them. I could tell you a dozen places here but it won't help you. Try 7-11, Albertsons and the convenience stores that sells many different kinds of soda. It is usually known as 'mexican coke' because that is mostly where it is sold.

Wanna see my grandkids?

deathybrad Guest
    The throwback Mountain Dew tastes terrible, almost like diet. We've all be consuming corn syrup for too long I think.

insanejeff Guest
    Had to quote this, because actually they do... it's made in Mexico though. Here in Kansas, some Kroger stores have it... in 12 oz. glass bottles, for 1.85 each. They're on the 'international' foods aisle, Mexican section. It's the only "Coke" I've actually liked since I was a kid. Real sugar makes a world of difference in Coke, which tastes way too sweet with HFCS in my opinion.

But back to Throwback.. it's making a comeback December 28, redesigned to be even more retro

Personally, I hated the Dew, though the real sugar got rid of the disgusting bitterness in regular Dew, it seemed very flat and unappealing to me. However the Pepsi is just fabulous and I even drove to a nearby town to stock up when it ran out here (I still have three 12-packs left!).

I can definitely tell a difference. HFCS has a certain bitterness to it. I can usually tell when it's in something. Such as Kellogg's Frosted Flakes... they taste horrible now, to me.. but anyway...

Too much of anything is always bad. The problem was that high fructose corn syrup was in almost everything, along with regular corn syrup too. It was getting to where you couldn't avoid corn! Watch the documentary "King Corn" if you don't believe me. Amazing to learn how much corn we consume. So anyway... as far as I'm concerned, any opportunity to go back to something a little more natural, which the body processes properly and offers some variety, is a good thing.

There are alternatives.. Jones Soda makes delicious drinks with pure cane sugar (Pepsi Throwback actually mixes in some beet sugar) and they have a Cola which is fantastic in my opinion. But it's a little higher in sodium than Throwback. And there's Hansen's sodas, though I don't believe they offer anything with caffeine. I recommend the grapefruit, served ice cold.. probably the most refreshing soda I've ever tasted.

I probably sound like a ranting madman. I'm battling a horrific sinus infection at the moment and can't sleep

I remember what it used to say on the old glass bottles
    of Mountain Dew.

It'll tickel Your innards!
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

hoxharding Guest
    I am not a fan of Pepsi,but I like Pepsi Throwback. There is also 'Pepsi Raw'
    The reason it is so popular to buy from Mexico(from what I have read) is that many of the factories have the older machinery there. They also use sugar-so you are getting an older version(aka retro) of Coke from there.
    Evidently it is highly popular,which makes me wonder why Coke hasn't jumped on the Retro idea.
    I have also had Azuki Bean Pepsi and Green Tea Diet Coke.

I didn't try the Pepsi Throwback. Hubby said it was good, but not as good as Mexican Coke (and he's a Pepsi diehard). The MD Throwback did taste somewhat familiar to me, but honestly I like regular MD better, HFCS and all. The MD Throwback tasted like Mello Yello to me.