Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Princess Diana

Adiposeur Guest
    halogirl5 - I cannot imagine how palpable the grief felt in England! It only dominated our TV. Very few people were openly mourning the same way they did in the UK. Understandable but still...

I think your comments about the "feelings" in the air are very insightful and spot on.

Where do they claim she's buried then?

RogerV Guest
    I couldn't help but think when I saw that little island "that is going to be a very WET grave." Even though it's lined with lead, that coffin won't stay watertight forever, and the wood will decay quickly. Bodies tend not to last long in wet locations, so if she really is buried there, and unless they followed the Medieval practice of actually soldering the lead shroud around her body, I'd guess she's in pretty poor shape by now.

I don't remember where, but I recently read accounts of some of the soldiers who acted as pallbearers. The actual coffin was about twice as heavy as the one they practiced with. I imagine that knowing that the eyes of the world were on them is what kept them going with their enormous load.

Thanks for the info. Has anyone ever seen pics of Harry and Wills at the island grave?

I was in the exact same spot when I heard Diana was dead as I was when OJ took his dramatic ride down the freeway. I had graduated from college on the latter incident, and had just finished graduate school when Diana died, and was staying with my parents, standing in front of the tv in their bedroom.

I watched Diana's wedding and her funeral. So tragic.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by halogirl5 View Post
    Well that's what he told me. He lived very close to Althorp House.
    I heard the same story too (although not from the same source ) I think they released some documentation to show that she was buried at Althorp though.

Desertrose Guest
    I would like to think that Diana is buried in the family plot at the chapel. It seemed so lonely to be on that little island all by herself.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    I would like to think that Diana is buried in the family plot at the chapel. It seemed so lonely to be on that little island all by herself.
    Me too, I think the island is a good focal point for visitors, but if I was travelling to visit Althorp I'd include the church on my trip too.

I remember being woken up by my mum when Diana died and a few of my mates had stayed over so we were all really shocked.

She seemed like a lovely person and her down to earth nature made the British Public able to relate to her as a normal everyday person.

When I was in my teens I always thought she was extremely attractive and you couldn't help but see her in the same light as you would a celebrity pop star because she had massive sex appeal and was probably a lot of mens ideal woman.

She just had a natural beauty that was unexplainable but could make your heart melt.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    I'll never forget hearing her death on the radio and calling my parents in tears to tell them Di had died. Everywhere laid memorials and remembrance books were available to sign. I remember doing that in my home town. The day of her funeral, I dont think the UK saw so many empty streets as people went home to watch her funeral.

Incidentially, I shared my birthday with Di (July 1st). I always used to moan that she always got more attention than me every year, and I'd give anything to say that again.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
    The day of her funeral, I dont think the UK saw so many empty streets as people went home to watch her funeral.
    I headed out to the route and watched the car go past, it was very surreal.

radiojane Guest
    I really think the clearest memory I have is of the day Diana died. I was almost 12. I can remember the breaking news on the tv. My grandparents were visiting, and the tv said she was injured. My father came in the door from work (I can still see what he was wearing), and the first thing he said was: "She's dead. CBC just broke in with it."

At that age, all of us little girls wanted to be Diana. It was a big thing. I always think of 97 as a sucky year. We lost Diana, Mother Theresa and I lost my grandpa Al.

She wouldn't have aged well in the public eye. We'd have tired of her, mocked her, whatever. Eventually she'd have done something less than saintly (not that she hadn't before), and the public would've spurned her.

From a publicity standpoint, she died with perfect timing.

I was at my bachelorette party, sitting in the hot tub when a late arrival turns up.
    She proceeds to tell us a ton of jokes and then says "Did you hear about Princess Diana? She's dead"
    We all waited for the punch line............

End of party.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I was at my bachelorette party, sitting in the hot tub when a late arrival turns up.
    She proceeds to tell us a ton of jokes and then says "Did you hear about Princess Diana? She's dead"
    We all waited for the punch line............

End of party.

You would think she'd have opened with that news....

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I really think the clearest memory I have is of the day Diana died. I was almost 12. I can remember the breaking news on the tv. My grandparents were visiting, and the tv said she was injured. My father came in the door from work (I can still see what he was wearing), and the first thing he said was: "She's dead. CBC just broke in with it."

At that age, all of us little girls wanted to be Diana. It was a big thing. I always think of 97 as a sucky year. We lost Diana, Mother Theresa and I lost my grandpa Al.

She wouldn't have aged well in the public eye. We'd have tired of her, mocked her, whatever. Eventually she'd have done something less than saintly (not that she hadn't before), and the public would've spurned her.

From a publicity standpoint, she died with perfect timing.

Madonna should read this.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    interesting article on whether Diana would have survived if her accident occured in the USA. It took the French EMS 1 hour and 45 mins to get her to a hospital which was 4 minutes away.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HealthCare/Story?id=8437560&page=4

THe reason it took them so long was because she kept going into cardiac arrest in the ambulance. Every time her heart stopped they would stop to try to resuscitate her. They knew something was wrong with her heart and they went slowly to try to stop the damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    According to Paul Burrell, the butler (or whatever his job was), is Diana wasn't as into Dodi as they want you to believe and he didn't believe that they were engaged either.
    I cant stand that bloody Paul Burrell, he is a pain the in the ass! He used her once she died, selling off her clothes and so on. He is a tosser and luckly he's not been around for a while! YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post

LOL! I love it! Good one!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    THe reason it took them so long was because she kept going into cardiac arrest in the ambulance. Every time her heart stopped they would stop to try to resuscitate her. They knew something was wrong with her heart and they went slowly to try to stop the damage.
    French paramedics prefer to stabilize patients before they get them to a hospital, as opposed to the 'scoop and run' approach, which is to get patients to hospital asap. Either probably would not have made much difference in Diana's case, she was a goner.
    Apparently,Trevor Rees-Jones (the bodyguard) was initially thought to be in much worse shape than Diana due to his facial injuries (half his face torn off). Diana didn't appear that badly injured but she was bleeding out internally. I've read she was conscious in the wreck, moaning "My God, I'm in such pain" and "Leave me alone".

I think with a faster medical intervention she could still be alive today, there are a lot of fatal car acciedents here, partially because they drive too fast, but also because of the emergency services. Usually first on the scene are the gendarmes (para-military police) and then the pompiers (firmen) who do the medical stuff, i don't know how well trained they are with regards to para-medic's but its not a place to be if you are in a serious car accident. The hospitals still use some treatments that are 30 years out of date and some of the doctors are arrogant beyond belief.

radiojane Guest
    This is what gets a little tiresome about the US (or at least a teeny part of it). This same discussion was had when Natasha Richardson died. So many people swore up and down that if the all mighty US of A had been in control of the situation instead of us lovable but backwards Canadians, she'd still be kicking. Not so.

Diana was a goner. They were trying to stabilize her. Had they just shoved her in the bus and ran for it, she'd simply have died sooner.

I live in france, it used to say on my profile. I've been in hospital here, seen how the emergency services work. My husband fell 12 foot from a ladder then got hit on the head by a breeze block (concrete brick thing weighing approx 10LBs) went to the emergency room with a large delve in his head, all they did was put staples on the cut no head x-ray or anything. Sorry to go off topic but tryng to illustrate that hospitals and emergancy care is not the same worldwide.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    I live in france, it used to say on my profile. I've been in hospital here, seen how the emergency services work. My husband fell 12 foot from a ladder then got hit on the head by a breeze block (concrete brick thing weighing approx 10LBs) went to the emergency room with a large delve in his head, all they did was put staples on the cut no head x-ray or anything. Sorry to go off topic but tryng to illustrate that hospitals and emergency care is not the same worldwide.
    I hear ya.... I just had kidney stones, and had to drive two hours to the larger hospital for the cat scan, drive back the two hours to be admitted over night because there was no bed for me there, and then drive back for the surgery (when they did find me a bed), and this is in Canada.

Standards of care do differ, but from what I've read, I don't think much difference could've been made in Diana's case. Anything's possible, but I think she probably would've had to crash INTO a hospital, even in the US.

crazedfemale Guest
    The two people on the left were killed instantly. There used to be photos of Dodi and the driver on the Internet dead after the crash and if it was them they were torn up badly. The bodyguard - whatever happened to him?

I believe Diana is buried at Althorp. Her grave is not marked. I miss her dearly. Every August 31, I'm saddened she's not still with us. She was lovely.

thinkering Guest
    Remember that Summer before princess Diana died, that some tabloids speculated whether she was anorexic; calling her too thin/a waif?

It's pretty interesting, that Diana today would probably be considered if not pudgy, then normal, conisdering how are standard for normality is pushed to the left side of the normalcycurve.

Mischa Barton, for instance, being told to lose weight. Sheesh.
    Last edited by thinkering; 09-05-2009 at 07:00 AM.

lab_rat Guest
    I hear ya.... I just had kidney stones, and had to drive two hours to the larger hospital for the cat scan, drive back the two hours to be admitted over night because there was no bed for me there, and then drive back for the surgery (when they did find me a bed), and this is in Canada.

Standards of care do differ, but from what I've read, I don't think much difference could've been made in Diana's case. Anything's possible, but I think she probably would've had to crash INTO a hospital, even in the US.
    Her heart was bascially ripped away from the vena cava, if I am understanding it correctly. I don't know how they could have saved her without knowing what was wrong immediately. I'm sure she bled out very quickly.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    The two people on the left were killed instantly. There used to be photos of Dodi and the driver on the Internet dead after the crash and if it was them they were torn up badly. The bodyguard - whatever happened to him?

I believe Diana is buried at Althorp. Her grave is not marked. I miss her dearly. Every August 31, I'm saddened she's not still with us. She was lovely.
    Would LOVE to see those!

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post

Here is news about the bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Rees-Jones

crazedfemale Guest
    I saw Diana in person in 1996 in Chicago. She was tall and slim, but not bone thin. I heard someone on the news estimate she was 5' 10 and 135-140 lbs. That is definitely thin but she was also quite fit. Her muscles in her legs that day (she didn't wear hose) you could tell she was quite the fit lady.

c l p Guest
    she was beautiful. talk about the man who did not deserve her it was that prince charles. he is a joke.

halogirl5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by c l p View Post
    she was beautiful. talk about the man who did not deserve her it was that prince charles. he is a joke.

Why do you think this, CLP? Prince Charles has done lots of very wonderful things for this country and as an abassador for the UK. He is a very kind and dignified person, and had/has his very own very sad story. However, he doesn't do the bleeding heart thing so not as many people know about it as they do Diana's.

Desertrose Guest
    I am pretty sure Diana wasn't so easy to live with either.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by halogirl5 View Post
    Why do you think this, CLP? Prince Charles has done lots of very wonderful things for this country and as an ambassador for the UK. He is a very kind and dignified person, and had/has his very own very sad story. However, he doesn't do the bleeding heart thing so not as many people know about it as they do Diana's.

I'm just curious Halo, how is Charles perceived in the UK now? While I think he's certainly lacking some of his mother's inherent grace and tact, I think that the unfettered adoration for Diana gave him a bit of a raw deal. I'm curious to know now, 12 years after Diana, how popular he is in his own country.

Littleroben Guest
    I don't think people are that bothered by him, although I was pleased that he showed some balls and actually married Camilla.

Quote Originally Posted by c l p View Post
    Wow, I don't agree with you on this. He's done alot of good work and is a wonderful Father to William and Harry. I think Diana's death changed him and really made him become a better father. I dont think he should die. I think people can't forgive his treatment of Diana but come on, I bet she was a pain at times too!

Mrs Tingles Guest
    I wish the media changed their ways after Dianna's death. IMO they don't seem to have at all. I remember those pics of her at the gym and the relentless interference into her private life. Her death taught them nothing.

crazedfemale Guest
    I loved reading about Diana. Finding out from the papers that I was in Chicago at the same time was too exciting for me. I read where she was going to be and went down there two hours early. Already a crowd forming, just seeing her 10 feet away was great for me. The crowd went wild wild, it was like a rock star showing up..she was truly larger than life.

We would lose her a year later and for a week I cried, I mean I balled at work, at home. I went to my sister's house for a diversion and we sat and cried. No, she wasn't perfect and neither was Charles, and he should have married Camilla 30 years ago. Then we wouldn't have known Diana. To this day, I miss her. I can't believe it's been 12 years!

I love this picture of her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting article about the bridesmaids now.
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...135046,00.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    Interesting article about the bridesmaids now.
    http://www.people.com/people/archive...135046,00.html
    Aah - that article's quite sad, looks as though it was published in the month she died.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    I am pretty sure Diana wasn't so easy to live with either.
    Maybe not, but she did her "deed" by giving him his two heirs and he was out banging that Camilla chic who looks like a Wal-Mart greeter!!! I don't think I would try to be a such a sweet little wifey either. If you are gonna cheat on me and make it so damn obvious, she sure as hell better be prettier than me and have some white teefus!
    My Posse's On Broadway

I do miss Diana...she was remarkably gorgeous and stunning.
    I was however checking out the directory...some wording needs to be changed up...it says that these pictures: http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/p.../the%20car.htm were of the exact interior of the MB that Diana was in...it needs to be worded as "similar" and not exact.

If you look in this picture: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...10_468x300.jpg it had black interior...not beige.

I know minor but just wanted to point that out...don't bite my head off about it lol.

It's hard to find a real princess now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
    It's hard to find a real princess now a days.

We have lots of them.

My "where were you story" is that I was in LA at that time. I was there on vacation and had just spent the morning and afternoon at the Universal Studios (getting wet in the Jurassic Park ride). Unfortunately, Dearly Departed Tours didn't exsist at that time, otherwise my stay there would have been more fun. But anywho, I watched some television on my hotelroom and then came on the news that Diana and Dodi were involved in an accident in Paris. Very soon afterward they said that Dodi had died. I was almost glued to the television. And then, at about 19.30 the news broke that she had died too. At that moment I was ironing some T-shirts and immediatly I put my hand on my mouth out of pure shock. Luckily I used my empty hand, otherwise I would have knocked myself down with the iron. The next morning I had breakfast with an elderly couple from Scotland and I told them what had happened. The woman said with that wonderful accent:" I'm sorry this has happened, but I always thought she was a very silly girl". I'll never forget that. I never saw the funeral because I flew home that day. But it was a strange week.
    Last edited by Linnythepooh; 12-11-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

There's no one that can even come close. The up and coming~Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, etc. Nope.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Everyone needs someone to look up to. I only wish was able to stay married to Prince Charles. She did a lot of good for a lot of people in her short lifetime.

candleinthewind Guest
    The bloody color pic is fake. As others have stated, pictures exist but we won't see them. From what I understand of the accident, she was sitting sideways in the back seat. At impact, she was shoved under the front seats legs first. The first news report I heard, she was reported to have a broken leg. Supposedly she gave instructions to the responders about who to contact and protocol for making arrangements before losing consciousness. I think I read something about her being embalmed at the hospital not long after being declared dead. Don't know if that part is true, it's from Paul Burrell's book I think and I don't trust him much.

Quote Originally Posted by BriLeighLove View Post
    I was home watching TV with my parents... For some reason I want to say "Early Edition". I was glued to the TV the entire week. I still have an entire tote of newspapers and magazines from that time.

As far as Elton's song, I believe he only sang it twice. At the funeral and then he went straight from the service to the studio, recorded it in one shot for the single and that was it.
    WOW...as MUCH as I love Reg Dwight, that sounds a little opportunistic. Straight from the funeral to the studio?

halogirl5 Guest
    I'm just curious Halo, how is Charles perceived in the UK now? While I think he's certainly lacking some of his mother's inherent grace and tact, I think that the unfettered adoration for Diana gave him a bit of a raw deal. I'm curious to know now, 12 years after Diana, how popular he is in his own country.
    Sorry for a post about twelve weeks late, darling!! The following is only my opinion (Snudgy and Spooky please weigh in):
    Charles is kindly beheld because these days, in the UK, nothing is truly sacred or lasting or bothersome to the public psyche apart from drinking, family, celebrity, and doing what we've always done. Affronts to those things are the only things which upset people. We have a huge disposable fleeting celebrity culture now. Charles is not held in either particular revererance nor disgust by the masses because the masses don't care about things like that anymore it's all about the latest reality show or the mortgage. Charles likes organic gardening and so does Jamie Oliver ( a celebrity 'chef') so therefore Charles is not all bad. true.

Ted Challinor Guest
    Charles: I don't want him to be our king.He made a terrible judgement in marrying Diana when he loved someone else....who knows what poor judgements he'd make on the throne