Thread: Peter Rogers of 'Carry On' films

TrueBlueAngel Guest

Peter Rogers of 'Carry On' films

This man produced some of the funniest Carry On films!

Film producer Peter Rogers, who was behind the hit British "Carry On" comedy films, has died aged 95, Pinewood Studios announced on Wednesday. Skip related content
    Rogers died at his home in Buckinghamshire on Tuesday following a short illness, according to British media.
    "We were saddened to learn of Peter Rogers' passing," Ivan Dunleavy, chief executive at Pinewood Shepperton, said in a statement.
    "Peter was an institution at the studios. As a prolific film producer, he worked at Pinewood Studios since the 1960s.
    "The 'Carry On' films, for which he was most well known ... were enjoyed by millions internationally and will always remain a part of modern British culture."
    The 31-strong "Carry On" franchise, popular for its innuendos and slapstick humour, began with "Carry On Sergeant" in 1958 and went on to feature nurses, doctors, teachers, spies, cowboys and even Henry VIII and Cleopatra.
    It starred the likes of Kenneth Williams, Sid James, Barbara Windsor and Leslie Phillips.
    According to Phillips, there were arguments between Rogers and the "Carry On" actors over how much they were paid.
    "We all argued about the money he paid us, but I am in a fortunate position and I could move on," Phillips was quoted as saying by the Telegraph newspaper.
    "Some of the others, who have died, weren't able to and if they were alive today I would be interested to see what they would say.
    "Since he made all those people famous the world has changed in every conceivable way. Contracts were not sorted out in those days ... I can afford to say I loved Peter. I was very fond of him and his wife," Phillips told the newspaper. Rogers was married to fellow producer Betty Box, who died in 1999.

letty1970 Guest
    The Carry On movies are the best. I love them, most people i know think I am sad liking them so much. If I feel blue, i put a carry on film on and chill. I know they are cheesey and really dated , thats what i love about them.

Handrejka Guest
    The Carry Ons are great, bit samey but a great giggle.

Guest Guest
    Aww sad news! the Carry On films are legendary to us Brits! I love them and all the greats involved!
    R.I.P Dear Sir.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by letty1970 View Post
    The Carry On movies are the best. I love them, most people i know think I am sad liking them so much. If I feel blue, i put a carry on film on and chill. I know they are cheesey and really dated , thats what i love about them.
    Nothing sad about liking Carry On movies mate.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

letty1970 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Nothing sad about liking Carry On movies mate.
    You would not believe the ridicule I suffer,sob, sniff, sniff. But i love them all the same.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by letty1970 View Post
    You would not believe the ridicule I suffer,sob, sniff, sniff. But i love them all the same.
    Oh I love them too. Can watch them over and over, apart from the revived ones from the 90's - terrible!
    My faves of the group were Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey!

letty1970 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Oh I love them too. Can watch them over and over, apart from the revived ones from the 90's - terrible!
    My faves of the group were Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey!
    They were the best and Sid James.Carry on camping and carry on abroad were my faves So innocent and funny. They just had a day of them on one of the sky movie channels. So will be watching them soon.

Guest Guest
    One of my favourites was Carry on Screaming - with the lovely Fenella Fielding!

slw Guest
    I love the Carry On's too! I have them all! Hattie Jacques is my fave!

Guest Guest
    Here is Peter with the inimitable Kenneth Williams

Such sad news I love the Carry On movies, especially "Up the Khyber" and "Screaming" (Had to look up the English titles on IMDB, because we got totally different ones for Germany, and noticed that most Carry On movies received 5-6 from 10 stars there )

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Persis View Post
    Such sad news I love the Carry On movies, especially "Up the Khyber" and "Screaming" (Had to look up the English titles on IMDB, because we got totally different ones for Germany, and noticed that most Carry On movies received 5-6 from 10 stars there )
    Are the German titles funny?

They were funny when I was a kid and worked for me (as in sparking interest in the movies) but now I think they're totally dated and cheey. I prefer the original titles

I just so enjoyed all the Carry On films and the people
    who were in them.