Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OK men fess up. How many can cook?

onehunglow Guest

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Come on to Minnesota. I'll cook for you.
    By the way, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE chicken and dumplings. YUMMMMMMMM
    Getting anyone to North MN in the winter!! Iowa at -30 is bad enough and with the wind chill -95. I can't wait to move south. Global warming HELL YEAH! Ihave 1/4 inch of ice on my truck right now. Field of dreams my ass!

Do 90% of the cooking in our house...pretty much anything and everything.

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Getting anyone to North MN in the winter!! Iowa at -30 is bad enough and with the wind chill -95. I can't wait to move south. Global warming HELL YEAH! Ihave 1/4 inch of ice on my truck right now. Field of dreams my ass!
    I am NOT looking forward to winter. Hate it, hate it, hate it........
    Last year when I went to the tribute show in Clear Lake, wind chills were 70 below every day, but the sun was out, so that was the good news...and my car started every morning without being plugged in. WOO HOO!!

Analyst_Rob Guest

I donâ??t really cookâ?¦

[SIZE=3]But hereâ??s a wash-day tipâ?¦[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I never iron my collar shirts out of the dryer (who has time???)â?¦ I do hang them hotâ?¦ usually waiting to iron them a few at a time (or worse workday mornings!!)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Anywayâ?¦. Itâ??s easy to mix-up whatâ??s ironed and whatâ??s notâ?¦ especially if you want to know at a glanceâ?¦ So I hang my out of the dryer shirts with the hook facing the right shoulderâ?¦ and after I press them, They are re-hung with the hook facing the left shoulderâ?¦.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]QED[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

mike Guest
    My cooking has improve alot since i got married.I use to be a microwave chef.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    My ex-sig-other, whom I am still living with (he's just been diagnosed with cancer and I volunteered to be his copilot, I'm a 14-yr survivor as of Oct. 1) bought one of those HUGE turkey fryers. It's his delight to drag it out every year, and every year at least one more person asks to be added on his list, which he usually loves. He also cooks all his Christmas gifts, and his boss pay$ him extra to cook extras to give out as HIS gifts.

Unfortunately, Thursday morning they surgically implanted a port into his chest for the first month of chemo, which begins Monday, and this will be our first year we won't be frying turkeys for friends and family. Depending on how badly chemo affects him, the Christmas cooking may be off the list too. It's sad because he gets such joy from it. We'll see though; he's got a good streak of "stubborn" in him, that will come in handy in his fight!

I've never tasted better turkey than his fried ones! Booyah!
    Shoot......I'm speechless. That's a very sad story. Not about the turkey, about the SO. I'll remember you both in my prayers tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst_Rob View Post
    [SIZE=3]But hereâ??s a wash-day tipâ?¦[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I never iron my collar shirts out of the dryer (who has time???)â?¦ I do hang them hotâ?¦ usually waiting to iron them a few at a time (or worse workday mornings!!)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Anywayâ?¦. Itâ??s easy to mix-up whatâ??s ironed and whatâ??s notâ?¦ especially if you want to know at a glanceâ?¦ So I hang my out of the dryer shirts with the hook facing the right shoulderâ?¦ and after I press them, They are re-hung with the hook facing the left shoulderâ?¦.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]QED[/SIZE]

if you have one hang them in the shower room and let the steam do the work.

I learned to cook from my Mom, but over the years only did it when I had to. Between wives, etc. But when I was married to my third wife I did all the cooking, and baking. One of my favorite Thanksgivings was when my older brother and his wife came over. My Brother and I did all the cooking. We stuffed the turkey with homemade stuffing we cooked and prepared all the side dishes. He even made homemade cranberry sauce. I made pumpkin pies with scratch crusts. It was great. We prepared dinner for eight people that day and never once felt tired.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny62 Guest
    I make a mean TV Dinner...does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Since that is what I did in the Air Force for 23 years, I guess I can cook. Usually for 1000-1500 people at a time. I like making stews and soups mainly

Beef Stew, Chicken and Dumplings, etc.
    I was a cook in the Australian NAVY for 6. Nothing like bulk cooking is there? 2000 was my max (well our watch) but usually 1000 - 1500 on a land base. If you got to be a wardroom cook on a destroyer then it was 30 max. On a patrol boat 10-15 max and they cooked their own breakfast!!!!!!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I was a cook in the Australian NAVY for 6. Nothing like bulk cooking is there? 2000 was my max (well our watch) but usually 1000 - 1500 on a land base. If you got to be a wardroom cook on a destroyer then it was 30 max. On a patrol boat 10-15 max and they cooked their own breakfast!!!!!!
    Breakfast on the grill was always fun. Line up 15-20 omelets at a time while cooking French Toast and pancakes!!. Usually for breakfast we server 500 on a 3x8 foot grill.

panda Guest
    My husband does all the cooking & all the grocery shopping. He loves to cook so why not??? Grocery shopping goes with cooking!!!!

I used to think I could cook... but now admit to only being a master at breakfast and batering.

miamore73 Guest

Oh Noooo!!

I had Sloppy Joes for dinner last night. YUM YUM.

I cook and I mean I can cook my ass off!!!

I'm good in the house and outside the house. I'm the one that hosts all family get togethers-except Thanksgiving (only because I want to make sure I keep Christmas).

Fourth of July my beef ribs are to die for.

Never propane only charcoal and wood chips. What men best grillers....I think not.

Although I have to say most people are extremely surprised when they find out I cooked up everything and not my husband.

Hate to toot my own horn but....TOOT TOOT

My husband can't make anything but Top Ramen, Cup O Noodles, Tuna, Hotdogs and maybe a chicken breast here and there.
    Last edited by miamore73; 11-13-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Breakfast on the grill was always fun. Line up 15-20 omelets at a time while cooking French Toast and pancakes!!. Usually for breakfast we server 500 on a 3x8 foot grill.
    Yes breakfast was tricky!!! Standing at the griddle with trays of eggs each side cracking eggs two at a time, it takes a bit of practice to simultaneously cracking eggs with both hands. The first couple of shifts someone got their eggs crunchy!!! Omelette's were a little easier though, we just poured it all over the griddle and cut it up into squares when cooked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chascsq Guest
    I'm pretty much limited to omelettes and Ramen, but I do make kick @$$ jello and pudding. Bill Cosby would be proud.

Microwave or gas grill, yes. Oven, no.

onehunglow Guest

Oh No

[quote=miamore73;49039]I had Sloppy Joes for dinner last night. YUM YUM.

Never propane only charcoal and wood chips. What men best grillers....I think not.
    Men rule the grill. Just like a Chili cookoff, men do kick ass.

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Right, can someone explain to me what the friggin ell Sloppy Joes are? I have wondered this for years. I hear it on American programmes all the time and I have no clue what the hell they are.
    It must be ell living in England. To think the queen has never had a sloppy joe. We call that deprived royalty. Anyway its a tomato based sauce with onion,sugar, vinegar, and bell pepper mixed with ground hamburger and scooped on a bun ( or bread if the buns are gone). Serve with a baked potato or fries and a cold glass of koolaid. But the easy way is a can of heinz sloppy joe sauce and a pound of cooked hamburger mixed and eat. When I was a kid my mother was away alot and I had to cook for everybody six kids in all. I was the magic chef baby!

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    damn them biscuts sound good
    i dont buy muffin mix no more i buy bisquix
    ok i love muffins n breads to stupid to make bread but
    love/ banana / choc chip /blueberry /cheese muffins tho
    If you want really good biscuits skip the bisquix. Just mix flour, water, salt and shortning (lard), mix to the right texture, As you knead in the flower and water the dough should not stick to the spoon or your hand. but if its hard and crumbly, its too dry. I cook em at 375 degrees and I dont know bout no time. My grandma would say, "go check the bisquits" and thats how I did it. There, a good old standard bisquit recipe and you can find it on the net easy, just type bisquits. Ill tell you something good, pan fried bread. My uncle used to make it, always claimed it was his secret recipe, but it was good though. He never let anyone see him make it, you would come in and there it was.
    Last edited by disco; 11-14-2007 at 12:29 AM.

miamore73 Guest
    [quote=onehunglow;49752]
    Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    I had Sloppy Joes for dinner last night. YUM YUM.

Men rule the grill. Just like a Chili cookoff, men do kick ass.
    Well we're going to have to agree to disagree. But I kick ass.

Sorry I haven't got back to this sooner but I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to grab the recipe for my husband's Fuck Yeah Biscuits in the recipe thread now.

MbalmR Guest
    Like the food whore that I am, I RACED to the recipe exchange thread to get that Fuck Yeah Biscuits recipe.

I know everyone is going to throw rotting cabbage, but I have to agree; I think men do a better job with a grill than women do. That's not to imply that women CAN'T grill at all; but men take more time to perfect the grilling craft, in my experience.

Last year at an employee appreciation party, my husband received a brand new fancy grill, the kind you use charcoal in, but it has some kind of jet-propelled starter on it that requires no lighter fluid to light the coals. It's on WHEELS!!! I watched him put it together, caressing it, with a tear drop of joy in his eye; it was very exciting. Prior to that, we used a little camping grill, about the size of a tackle box, and it was pitiful to see my poor husband all hunched over it, flipping venison burgers with a pair of tweezers. Also, when we left it out at night to cool, the neighbors kept trying to steal it, thinking it really WAS a tackle box. *sigh*

LOL I've used one of those tiny grills too. Maaaaan they suck!

I do all the grilling around here. My husband has zero interest in it-except for the eating part that is. Not me!

I was getting ready to buy one of those monster grills for a good chunk of change when I saw a guy hauling one out to the trash. So I stopped and asked him if anything was wrong with it. He said no, but they were moving and he couldn't take it with him. When I asked if I could have it he said, yes indeedy. I took it home, gave it a good scrubbing and it works great.

You're also talking to a woman chef (retired or whatever you want to call it due to illness) though so what do I know?

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    Shoot......I'm speechless. That's a very sad story. Not about the turkey, about the SO. I'll remember you both in my prayers tonight.
    We humbly thank you so much!!! There is no greater gift to give, in my book. None. But I also accept 'positive vibes' from those who don't pray, and all well-wishes of all faith except satanism. Two lovely pagans also did candle ceremonies for us ... all of this truly raises our spirits so much. Thank you from our deepest hearts!

My man carnt even cook a chicken without burning it filling the house with smoke and he used to be a chef at a small hotel figure that.

I make the meanest Berliner doughnuts on the planet!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fujicakes Guest
    I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. I make a ton of stuff, and I learned most of what I know in college (not to say I didn't know how to cook before that, but I didn't cook very often). One of my favorite things to cook is fried plantains.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Bieng a master chef myself I can say that my favorite dish I like to prepare is Vienna sausages wrapped in bacon and grape jelly is a delicacy where I come from.

30. 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM

vintagesole Guest
    I am alright. I really like to cook Italian food.

Can't cook worth a damn.

vandal Guest
    I love cooking, in fact I find it pretty darn relaxing. I may not be the best at it but I can hold my own, a lot more than my girlfriend can.

BF is the bomb at cooking and BIL is the executive chef at a very nice local restaurant in Joplin, Wilder's. I am blessed to have such men in our family!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

BooMom Guest
    DH is da grillmaster in our family, and he cooks pretty good, too. HOWEVER---we just can't cook together. He's one of these "clean as you go" types and I prefer to just do a mass wash/clean after I get done !

My husband is an executive chef. When he is home, he cooks.

TallulahDahling Guest
    I love a man who can cook and is good at it.
    If I were to ever have an affair it would be with a man who can make lobster thermidor.

I was a Cook/Baker in the US Submarine Service for 4 years and I have cooked on and off professionally for about 18 years. I work in the IT field as my career but I currently cook at my best friends restaurant 3 nights a week to help him out also.

I am of the opinion that everybody should know the basics of cooking as a life skill. I will be teaching my Son how to cook for sure. If anything the ladies will dig that when he is older.

Long Gone Day Guest
    "I just love to watch a man do domestic chores."

* From the movie, "Stepford Husbands" *

I can cook I love it! My Mamaw Murphy taught me how to make homemade biscuits when I was 9. Anything Southern from fried chicken to any roast, casserole, soups and desserts I can cook. I just hate it when family or friends ask me for my recipes because since ive been cooking for so long I don't go by measurements I just go by feel it turns into a disaster for them when I try to explain how much flour and instant potatoes you mix to make a batter for fried chicken or how to make chicken and dumplings I can show them how but I can't tell them how because I measure nothing out I just go by feelin. Ive finally expanded to Italian foods and I love cooking manicotti more than anything yum yum

But I will always fall back on my Southern roots

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Bieng a master chef myself I can say that my favorite dish I like to prepare is Vienna sausages wrapped in bacon and grape jelly is a delicacy where I come from.
    To this day I can't stand the sight or smell of grape jelly. I had to help my aunts make that shit so much as a kid I just can't stand it. If we weren't making jellies and jams we were making molasses, maple syrup, sour crout, I think one of the most disgusting things in the world to make is cottage cheese. Thats just one of those kinds of foods thats delicious but if you ever saw the process of how it's made you will never ever eat it again

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Opeth32 View Post
    To this day I can't stand the sight or smell of grape jelly. I had to help my aunts make that shit so much as a kid I just can't stand it. If we weren't making jellies and jams we were making molasses, maple syrup, sour crout, I think one of the most disgusting things in the world to make is cottage cheese. Thats just one of those kinds of foods thats delicious but if you ever saw the process of how it's made you will never ever eat it again

Can't imagine watching an info video on how the viennas are made--I buy them all the time to hide pills in for the dogs but I just can't eat them. Just never been that hungry

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I like those little meatballs in the grape jelly mixed with chili sauce. Yum.

havoc Guest
    I'm a fantastic cook. I can do fancy or I can do southern deep fried. My specialties are Chicken Cordon Blue, Pasta Primavera and Beef Wellington. Plus, I'm into lifting weights, so I'm the guy cooking all weekend and making meals for the whole week. I'm the tupperware king.

I used to do most of the cooking. But since the divorce, I'm finding it hard to cook for one person....

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    More and more I'm surprising myself at how well I can cook. I really never learned how to per-say, I have just picked up on things over the years watching other people. Now a few times a week I'm spending a little time preparing new things instead of just popping a can of soup open and calling it dinner.

Snoopy Guest
    My husband is a great cook..we both cook but he likes to do fancy..my brother deep fries a mean Turkey every Thanksgiving..Yummy!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    I used to do most of the cooking. But since the divorce, I'm finding it hard to cook for one person....
    Bingo... I can cook, but being single kind of takes the whole point out of it.

When I lived with three roommates in college, I found myself cooking most of the time simply to avoid being poisioned by the "food" that my roommates prepared...

Goldy Guest
    I've mastered tomato soup (from a can), grilled cheese sandwiches, and fried eggs. Beyond that, I can't cook a lick. Probably the only Southern guy alive who can't grille successfully. So sad...

***note to self: learn to make lobster thermidor***

does anyone have a recipe for homemade stroganoff and goolosh : D

radiojane Guest
    all the men I know are cooks. My dad was a great cook. My brothers can make 4 course meals, and I can barely boil water. My uncle makes an awesome steak. My best friend's bf works as a chef at a chi chi restaurant and I love when he feeds me.

I however, as a woman have NO domestic skills. I even screwed up my caeser salad last nite.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I do almost all the cooking. My Uncle owned a resturant and I worked there along with my Sister. Learned the whole Bizz. How to make those great hash browns (microwave 1 minute then brown on hot grill).

Meatloafs, roasts, you nameit I can cook it. I even did my 3 months in the bakery. My wife has not cooked in years. She never was a cook. Burned everything. Thanksgiving, stay the hell out of my Kitchen. I made both of my sons cook with me as punishment. Now they are glad. They can both hold their own. My oldest worked in another Resturant doing the dinner menus. Not all men are helpless with a set of cookware.
    I can. I'm a trained Chef tho...