Thread: John Fante

John Connor Guest

John Fante

John Fante (April 8, 1909May 8, 1983) was an American novelist, short story writer and screenwriter of Italian descent.

Born in Denver, Colorado, Fante's early years were spent in relative poverty. The son of an Italian born father, Nicola Fante, and an Italian-American mother, Mary Capolungo, Fante was educated in various Catholic schools in Boulder, Colorado and briefly attended the University of Colorado.
    In 1929, he dropped out of college and moved to Southern California to concentrate on his writing. He lived and worked in Wilmington, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, the Bunker Hill district of downtown Los Angeles, California, various residences in Hollywood and Echo Park, and Malibu. In 1955 Fante developed diabetes, which eventually blinded him. He continued to write despite this though, by dictating the stories to his wife.

After many unsuccessful attempts at publishing stories in the highly regarded literary magazine, The American Mercury, his short story "Altar Boy" was accepted conditionally by the magazine's editor, H.L. Mencken. The acceptance of "Altar Boy" by The American Mercury was accompanied by a reply from Mencken that read: "Dear Mr. Fante, What do you have against a typewriter? If you transcribe this manuscript in type I'll be glad to buy it. Sincerely yours, H.L. Mencken."[citation needed]
    By far, his most popular novel is the semi-autobiographical Ask the Dust, the second book in what is now referred to as "The Saga of Arturo Bandini". Bandini served as his alter ego in a total of four novels: Wait Until Spring, Bandini (1938), The Road to Los Angeles (chronologically, this is the first novel Fante wrote but it was unpublished until 1985), Ask the Dust (1939), and finally Dreams from Bunker Hill (1982), which was dictated to his wife, Joyce, towards the end of his life.
    Other novels include Full of Life (1952), The Brotherhood of the Grape (1977), and 1933 Was a Bad Year (1985; incomplete). Two novellas, 'My Dog Stupid' and 'The Orgy' were published in 1986 under the title West of Rome. His short story collection, Dago Red, was originally published in 1940, and then republished with a few additional stories in 1985 under the title The Wine of Youth.
    Recurring themes in Fante's work are poverty, Catholicism, family life, Italian-American identity, sports, and the writing life. Ask the Dust has been referred to over the years as a monumental Southern California/Los Angeles novel by a host of reputable sources (e.g.: Carey McWilliams, Charles Bukowski, and The Los Angeles Times Book Review). More than sixty years after it was published, Ask the Dust appeared for several weeks on the New York Times' Bestseller's List. Fante's clear voice, vivid characters, shoot-from-the-hip style, and painful, emotional honesty blended with humor and scrupulous self-criticism lends his books to wide appreciation. Most of his novels and stories take place either in Colorado or California. Many of his novels and short stories also feature or focus on fictional incarnations of Fante's father, Nick Fante, as a cantankerous wine tippling, cigar stub-smoking bricklayer.
    Fante's screenwriting credits include the comedy-drama Full of Life (1957), based on his novel of the same name, which starred Judy Holliday and Richard Conte, and was nominated for Best Written American Comedy at the 1957 WGA Awards. He also co-wrote Walk on the Wild Side (1962), which stars Jane Fonda in her first credited film role, based on the novel by Nelson Algren. His other screenplay credits include Dinky, Jeanne Eagels, My Man and I, The Reluctant Saint, Something for a Lonely Man and Six Loves. As Fante himself often admitted, most of what he wrote for the screen was simply hackwork intended to bring in a paycheck.
    In the late 1970s, at the suggestion of novelist and poet Charles Bukowski, Black Sparrow Press began to republish the (then out-of-print) works of Fante, creating a resurgence in his popularity. When Black Sparrow was reconfigured on its founder's retirement in 2002, publication of John Fante's works was taken over by HarperCollins under the Ecco imprint, but not before Black Sparrow Press could publish the last of Fante's uncollected stories in The Big Hunger (2000). Full of Life: The Biography of John Fante was published by Stephen Cooper also in 2000, followed by The Fante Reader in 2003. Also available are two collections of letters, Fante/Mencken: A Personal Correspondence (1989) and Selected Letters (1991).

He is known to be one of the first writers to portray the tough times faced by many writers in L.A. Robert Towne has called Ask The Dust the greatest novel ever written about Los Angeles.
    His work and style has influenced similar authors such as Charles Bukowski, who stated in his introduction to Ask The Dust "Fante was my god" and influential Beat Generation writer Jack Kerouac. He was proclaimed by Time Out magazine as one of America's “criminally neglected writers."
    In 1987, Fante was posthumously awarded the PEN USA President's Award.

Last edited by John Connor; 04-12-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Guest Guest
    He reminds me of a young Robert Mitchum on the first pic.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Oooooh, excellent! I had never heard of him. Another novel ("Ask the Dust") to put on my reading list.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Nice one Gonzo. Fante is a literary king. "Ask the Dust" knocked me on my ass when I read it. Haven't liked his other work as much.

I agree. Ask the Dust was also made into a movie with Colin Farrell and Salma Hayek.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Shoot, I didn't even realize it. I saw that movie! I didn't think it was that great. Gonzo, did you feel the movie was a good adaptation? or, as usual, is the book much better.

This guy was a fuckin' writer. Love him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Gone Day Guest
    Good to know. Will get the book.

John Connor Guest
    Just as an aside he was Bukowski's favourite writer. Bukowski wrote a poem about him and does a nice intro in the edition I have.

Also, Gonzo, from what I know Buk went to the LA public library, picked up 'Ask the Dust' read it at the library and from then on went to emulate his lifestyle so that HE COULD write like Fante. Buk is hands down my favorite (don't wanna say 'beat' because he wasn't, but along those lines) poet.

eta: for one thing, I think Buk considered himself too old to be beat but also kinda resented their cliquishness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    Also, Gonzo, from what I know Buk went to the LA public library, picked up 'Ask the Dust' read it at the library and from then on went to emulate his lifestyle so that HE COULD write like Fante. Buk is hands down my favorite (don't wanna say 'beat' because he wasn't, but along those lines) poet.

eta: for one thing, I think Buk considered himself too old to be beat but also kinda resented their cliquishness.

I don't know if he emulated his lifestyle since Fante was not an alcoholic so far as I know but Bukowski certainly worshipped him and yes he did discover him in the library. Bukowski hated the Beats and later the hippies but I don't think he could really connect with anyone so it was easier to hate them.

LGD: I've even seen the film but I will check it out. Right off though I will say Salma Hayek is 20 years older than the character of Camilla, but of course there was no Mexican actress (Hayek is not even Mexican, she's Lebanese) who needed the work. I will see it though. Just reread the book after talking about it. It is beautiful, the ending so sad and Arturo is such a self-obsessed dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't know if he emulated his lifestyle since Fante was not an alcoholic so far as I know but Bukowski certainly worshipped him and yes he did discover him in the library. Bukowski hated the Beats and later the hippies but I don't think he could really connect with anyone so it was easier to hate them.

LGD: I've even seen the film but I will check it out. Right off though I will say Salma Hayek is 20 years older than the character of Camilla, but of course there was no Mexican actress (Hayek is not even Mexican, she's Lebanese) who needed the work. I will see it though. Just reread the book after talking about it. It is beautiful, the ending so sad and Arturo is such a self-obsessed dickhead.
    Since alcoholism when talking about Bukowski seems to be such an issue, I should have clarified myself. What I meant about the emulating his lifestyle, in a hand-to-mouth, living in the slums kind of way. Experiencing a life outside of the suburbs and seeing/being the dregs of society.

If I'm not mistaken, Orwell put himself in jail delibritely to get some inspiration, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]