Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire

Attachment 46986 I don't know if this piece of silverware came from someone's private collection or if it is in the current Beverly Hills Fire exhibit in Ft. Thomas. Maybe I'm foolish, but I wouldn't want to bring stuff home from the site of the fire. Bad ju-ju or whatever you want to call it. It's sacred ground, the place where 165 lives were lost.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Ich you rule. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I was talking to my best friend the other night. And, he was asking about what places around here were haunted...and that he wanted to go someplace haunted. I told him about this...and I'm trying to convince him to go up there with me.

A little trip to Southgate to scare the crap out of us. YAY!!
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Incandescence Guest
    I've always been quite obsessed with the BHSC disaster even though I don't remember it; I wasn't born until almost ten years later. My Mother had visited the club a night or two before the fire for a graduation ceremony of sorts for her high school's senior class.

Growing up in the heart of Cincinnati, a lot of people have memories of the place. My Mom would tell me stories of how amazingly extravagant it was and how much of a 'big deal' a place like that was existing in the Tri-State area. Also, how she likely avoided death by just a couple of days. She knew several people affected by the fire that night. Clearly, the event affected her as well and like I said, I was not around when it originally happened but I still feel this strange connection. I've researched and read everything I've been able to find. I've walked around the bottom area to the driveway a few times. There's a gate not far up and it's usually patrolled, so I have never actually made it up the long winding road to the actual site. I keep thinking there must be a way to get permission to go to the top of the hill but a few friends of mine that have asked the local police in the past have been turned away because they don't have any "official business" to be on the property.

I actually just registered on this site tonight (after many years of just browsing) to ask if anyone knew of a legitimate and legal way to visit the hilltop.
    Any suggestions would be fantastic! I live just right across the river and I really hope to get a chance one day to visit this place that I feel like I already know. Thanks in advance!

cjllvslife Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Incandescence View Post
    I've always been quite obsessed with the BHSC disaster even though I don't remember it; I wasn't born until almost ten years later. My Mother had visited the club a night or two before the fire for a graduation ceremony of sorts for her high school's senior class.

Growing up in the heart of Cincinnati, a lot of people have memories of the place. My Mom would tell me stories of how amazingly extravagant it was and how much of a 'big deal' a place like that was existing in the Tri-State area. Also, how she likely avoided death by just a couple of days. She knew several people affected by the fire that night. Clearly, the event affected her as well and like I said, I was not around when it originally happened but I still feel this strange connection. I've researched and read everything I've been able to find. I've walked around the bottom area to the driveway a few times. There's a gate not far up and it's usually patrolled, so I have never actually made it up the long winding road to the actual site. I keep thinking there must be a way to get permission to go to the top of the hill but a few friends of mine that have asked the local police in the past have been turned away because they don't have any "official business" to be on the property.

I actually just registered on this site tonight (after many years of just browsing) to ask if anyone knew of a legitimate and legal way to visit the hilltop.
    Any suggestions would be fantastic! I live just right across the river and I really hope to get a chance one day to visit this place that I feel like I already know. Thanks in advance!

Quick correction. Mr. Dammert is in Alexandria, Kentucky. You would probably find a listing in the phone book or directory. He would have to be in his 80s by now. If his sons live close to the site, they might have an easier time of climbing the hill.
    Last edited by Alanwench; 05-29-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Combined spammed posts

8. 05-28-2014, 08:12 PM
    Reason
    Spammed post

You have been warned about spamming threads with your posts. It's okay to stack if the posts are hours apart, but not minutes. Combine these too ASAP. You will not be warned again, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Probably the best way to legally access the winding path would be to contact Wayne Dammert in either Ft. Campbell or Covington,Kentucky. Thirty seven years ago tonight, he helped patrons exit the top.floor of the club. Mr. Dammert was working as Banquet Captain.
    Quick correction. Mr. Dammert is in Alexandria, Kentucky. You would probably find a listing in the phone book or directory. He would have to be in his 80s by now. If his sons live close to the site, they might have an easier time of climbing the hill.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I found an article from Cincinnati Magazine featuring interviews in-depth with people who worked at BHSC, firefighters and survivors. None of this info. has been posted here before. How do I post this without spamming? In order for the story to have continuity and make sense,I will need to post the sections one after the other.

I found an article from Cincinnati Magazine featuring interviews in-depth with people who worked at BHSC, firefighters and survivors. None of this info. has been posted here before. How do I post this without spamming? In order for the story to have continuity and make sense,I will need to post the sections one after the other.
    Post links for every section on one post.
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-29-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

So, for example,I post the first paragraph of the story and then the links to the sections?

So, for example,I post the first paragraph of the story and then the links to the sections?
    Yes, Rule 7.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This article comes from Cincinnati magazine, "The Last Supper" and was published for the 30th anniversary of the disaster. One of the best, if not the best articles I've ever read about this fire. Firefighters, BHSC employees (plus a great deal of info. from Walter Bailey), survivors and former attorney Stan Chesney.
    http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/ci...spx?ID=1709130

I hate the type of revolving glass doors those poor people were stuck in. It was the only way out.

Mammy Guest
    This article comes from Cincinnati magazine, "The Last Supper" and was published for the 30th anniversary of the disaster. One of the best, if not the best articles I've ever read about this fire. Firefighters, BHSC employees (plus a great deal of info. from Walter Bailey), survivors and former attorney Stan Chesney.
    http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/ci...spx?ID=1709130
    Thank you for the new link! Looks like I've got some interesting reading to do!

You're welcome, Mammy. A BHSC group on Facebook has pics of people who were part of the alleged mob connection that supposedly caused the fire, according to the most recent book published. This is the expensive hard-backed book that came out either last year or the year before. Most folks on the Facebook.site are not convinced that the person who posted the pics of her patents is telling the truth. She was two years old at the time of the blaze . Reviews for the book are mixed, with some praising the author for exposing the corruption of the former Gov. Julian Carroll, the greed of the BHSC' s owner and the mob connection. Others feel that the author is trying so hard to convince himself of the arson theory that his credibility as a writer is questioned.

Mammy Guest
    Ooh, I never thought to look on Facebook for anything related to the BHSC! Thanks for that, too. It will give me something else to look at on there besides dead malls. Lol

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    How could I be from Kentucky and never heard of this? Granted I was a lil baby in 1977 but still.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    How could I be from Kentucky and never heard of this? Granted I was a lil baby in 1977 but still.
    Wow, really? This fire and the Carrollton bus crash were likely the two biggest tragedies in Kentucky. If you are interested in learning more about this fire, there is tons of information and pictures on the internet about it.

Don't feel too bad. Back in 1983 the county I used to live in had a massive tire fire that even though nobody was killed thank goodness it did burn for months. Most people of course still remember that..and the fact that it did bring Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Maury Povich and just about every TV station from Pittsburgh to Virginia Beach into the area to cover it. However far fewer remember the 1974 hotel fire that took place in the very next county, a fire that killed 12 and that fire still remains to this day West Virginia's most deadliest fire. Even those who live in that county until the recent 30th anniversary of the tragic event it was like "..oh wow..I had forgotten all about it".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fire.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	51442

http://www3.gendisasters.com/west-vi...-town-aug-1974
    Last edited by choff; 09-07-2014 at 02:22 AM.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Wow, really? This fire and the Carrollton bus crash were likely the two biggest tragedies in Kentucky. If you are interested in learning more about this fire, there is tons of information and pictures on the internet about it.
    Yeah I checked out a lot of stuff about it. I do remember the Carrollton bus crash. I was old enough then to be able to remember.

Mammy Guest
    Yeah I checked out a lot of stuff about it. I do remember the Carrollton bus crash. I was old enough then to be able to remember.
    I was born in 1968, so I remember some things about the fire. Of course, there weren't any 24/7 news stations and we only got three channels, so my exposure to it was rather limited. A lot of what I know about it is from reading about it afterwards. Two things that stood out to me was that it was the first time I had ever heard of people looting dead victims and the fire resulted in the first ever class action lawsuit. I believe the fire was arson. I'm amazed that to this day, the land where the club sat is still bare and unoccupied.

Owlette13 Guest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375322_286734678040892_1964051839_n.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	53080  

26. 09-16-2015, 07:28 AM
    Reason
    Dupe

akisserlady Guest
    I grew up in a suburb of Cincinnati and I remember this fire as if it had happened recently.

Both of my parents and the parents of another family ours hung out with had tickets to go see John Davidson that night, but for some reason the plans changed at the last minute and both families ended up not going. Instead, our family went camping at our summer lot on the Ohio River for the weekend. On Sunday, the other family came up to our camping lot and brought a small black and white portable TV in which we watched for the good portion of the day and looked through the names of survivors when they were able to post them.

That Sunday afternoon sticks out in my mind for so many reasons. Obviously because my parents and our friends didn't go to the show, the complete shock of the news reports, and the continuous growing list of victims with their ages with each new posting that Channel 9 made public. I also remember the picture of firefighter Bruce Rath holding Karen Prugh from the newspaper and just couldn't believe at the time it was all so very real and so close to home. Also, it wasn't until a few days after the fire that we learned that some friends who lived down the street from us in Withamsville had perished in the fire. It was a hard topic to avoid as it was featured on the evening news, and in the papers for many months, so the memories of that night and the days following remained very vivid for some time. This was one of those moments in life that happens in which you will never forget where you were and what you were doing when you heard the shocking news of a very sad event that changed the environment of the community around you.

I don't think this has been posted here. It's a recent video from the site.
    https://youtu.be/1hl2ywy6eEA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...LCi6DEqykF&s=1
    Link to article about memorial and 40th anniversary of the fire.

Alan, thanks for the link, wow forty years ago. Still shocking, I hope they get a memorial built for the BHSC.

Wow. Forty years ago today.

navallint Guest

You're welcome.

Former Beverly Hills Supper Club site sold

On Thursday, the former club workers, survivors and family members will make their last trek up the overgrown site of the fire. A few weeks ago, a company purchased the land. Luxury apartments, single homes and a senior citizen assisted living center will be built. The senior apartments/assisted living center will be built over the footprint of the doomed supper club.
    Three are mixed feelings over the sale of the land. There will be a memorial constructed on the hill. One former emp!oyee of the BHSC will not go for the final walk. Wayne Dammert was seriously injured last fall when he agreed to take two high school students and the parent of one student on a guided tour. The kids were filming for a class project.
    Dammert was trying to straighten a flag like when the 25foot long flagpole snapped and struck his forehead. The impact caused Dammert to fall backwards and down the hill. A large bush or brush like kept him from sliding head first to the interstate below.
    Wayne had a deep head wound and he was treated at a local hospital. His family was extremely grateful to the woman and her son's coming to his rescue. Had he not agreed to the intervie, Dammert planned to fix the flagpole by himself.
    He said that he nearly lost his life in the fire and getting in an accident 42 years later was enough to convince him that it was time for him to stop making trips to the former site of the club.
    The BHSC groups in Facebook are abuzz with anticipation of what will be found in the covered over basement of the club. Photographs of the basement after the fire revealed evidence of arson. They want to document the findings with pictures.
    Since bone fragments were found after the fire, I am guessing that more fragments might still be there. Maybe I am crazy or I've read too many paranormal books, but building over the site of an enormous tragedy might not be a good idea.

Alan I agree, I don't think it's a good idea either to build there, clean up the site and build a memorial garden there.

I agree, there should be a memorial. Plus, I wouldn't even consider going to a building set where such bad energy must circulate.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD