Thread: Eddie Rabbitt

Eddie Rabbitt

Singer, Songwriter. Born in Brooklyn, New York and raised in East Orange, New Jersey, he was one of the most innovative country artists of alltime. His recording career began in 1964 but he didn't establish himself until he moved to Nashville in 1968. His earliest success was as a songwriter. In 1970 Elvis Presley recorded his song "Kentucky Rain" and in 1974 Ronnie Milsap had his first number one country single with the Eddie Rabbitt composition "Pure Love". In 1975 he signed with Elektra Records and from 1976 to 1988 he had 33 consecutive Top 10 hits on the country charts, 16 of them reaching number 1. Many of those songs also crossed over onto the pop charts. Among his biggest crossover hits were "You And I"(a duet with Crystal Gayle), "Step By Step", "Drivin' My Life Away" (from the movie "Roadie" starring Meat Loaf), and "I Love A Rainy Night" which reached number 1 on both the pop and country charts. His biggest success on the country charts came in 1979 with the title song from the Clint Eastwood movie "Every Which Way But Loose". He continued recording sporadically in the 1990's but never matched his earlier success. In 1997 he was diagnosed with lung cancer and he died the following year in Nashville. His album "From The Heart" was issued posthumously.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

I know him best from "I Love a Rainy Night", never would have guessed that he did "Kentucky Rain." Love that song.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

b57hrle Guest
    I love Kentucky Rain! He was a really good songwriter!! He was my mother's favorite!! I certainly wouldn't kick him outta bed for eating crackers.... LOL

cachluv Guest
    My favorite of his was "Suspicions". Not the best BY him, but my favorite.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    I love Kentucky Rain! He was a really good songwriter!! He was my mother's favorite!! I certainly wouldn't kick him outta bed for eating crackers.... LOL
    LOL I likes I love a rainy night

Dotty Guest
    Blimey, I didn't even know he was dead, unless I'd forgotten.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Blimey, I didn't even know he was dead, unless I'd forgotten.
    Yeah. This is news to me too.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I read somewhere that he smoked 5 pack of cigs a day. If this is true, the lung cancer is not a surprise, I am afraid...

[SIZE=3]"Driving My Wife Away" was one of my favorite songs. Come to think of it, it was one of my favorite pass times also.[/SIZE]
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    [SIZE=3]"Driving My Wife Away" was one of my favorite songs. Come to think of it, it was one of my favorite pass times also.[/SIZE]
    LOL!

Actually "Two Dollars in the Jukebox" is one of mine - plus a few others.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I loved Eddie Rabbit as a kid. my mom was a big country buff when I was growing up, so to see Eddie all decked out in leather, to me it was COOL! and the songs were quite good as well.

Actually the duet by Eddie and Crystal Gayle "You and I" is mine and hubby's song. I'm sad that he's gone. I sure didn't know it until now. Man, this forum is better than the obits. I've heard people say, "I just get up every day and look in the obit column. If my name isn't there, it's going to be a good day." Well, people, you better start looking on the FAD forum!

knothere Guest
    Name:  eddierabbit.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  2.1 KB

CCB72 Guest
    Yeah, Eddie was cool...Suspicions was my fave tune by him. I remember the last thing I saw him do was a Time-Life collection ad in the mid 90s before he died

bump

Eddie was one of the people that sang the soundtrack of my very early years. My parents played his stuff constantly. I think he was very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    Eddie was one of the people that sang the soundtrack of my very early years. My parents played his stuff constantly. I think he was very underrated.

me too, never hear about him anymore

Jod6cindy Guest

Eddie with fellow singer Sami Jo Cole in Las Vegas (c. 1981). Here's what Sami told me about Eddie when I interviewed her in 2006:

“My memories of Eddie Rabbit are nothing short of fabulous. He was supportive and wonderful to me and I could never explain how much he meant to me. He was such a gentleman and so talented and I feel fortunate to have shared many good times and conversations with him. I was so sorry when I heard of Eddie's illness and his death later on came as a shock to me. It broke my heart...”

Sami’s camaraderie with Eddie was evident when she chose to redo one of his earlier hits, I Can’t Help Myself (Here Comes The Feeling), as her next single for Elektra. Although Sami gave the song a fresh and unique interpretation and Jimmy and Dixie Gamble Bowen were again at the helm, the record fared even less successfully than its predecessor, and only went to # 82 on the charts. Still, there was a certain hoopla surrounding the song—not in the States, however, but in Korea, of all places. “I had the privilege of performing Eddie’s song at The World Music Festival in Seoul. I was asked to represent the United States in the competition, and amazingly, I won first place with that song. I was on cloud nine...even though my winning was never even announced here in the States.”

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    I read somewhere that he smoked 5 pack of cigs a day. If this is true, the lung cancer is not a surprise, I am afraid...
    I bet that hit song of his was probably "Smoking My Life Away" in the early stages...

Forever-27 Guest
    Wow , I didnt know he was gone. The only song I knew from him was Love a Rainy Night. I just figured music since then changed and he didnt. Thats how musicans sort of fade away. I thought he faded away.

Makes me wonder if he ever guest stared on Dukes of Hazzard. Not sure but my instinct tells me, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    My favorite of his was "Suspicions". Not the best BY him, but my favorite.
    A good one - altho not quite "country"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5lQK0jfm8

I♥TinyTim Guest
    My dad and I would be driving down the road and if "Driving My Life Away" would come on the radio, we'd both sing it at the top of our lungs together. Especially the fast part, "The windhsield wipers... Slappin' out a tempo... Keepin' perfect rhythm with the song on the radio-o... But I gotta keep roooooooooollin'..." He'd alway get tongue-tied; I'd always be a smarty pants and sing it through without stumbling over the words. I'd give anything to have dad back so I could shut up and let him sing it through without messing up.

RIP Eddie Rabbit
    RIP dad

**Jenna** Guest
    I liked Eddie Rabbit. It's to bad he died.

simon69 Guest
    I share a birthday with him, loved all his music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ19rFAZWzU Miss you Eddie!!

motherogod Guest
    Back in 79 or 80 my dad got my sister and me a rabbit... we named her Edie... Edie Rabbit in honor of our favorite bearded singer.

Edie died years ago, too.

lisalouver Guest
    I still forget he's dead some days.

I love a rainy night!!!!

I really like his music, beautiful voice

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Wow , I didnt know he was gone. The only song I knew from him was Love a Rainy Night. I just figured music since then changed and he didnt. Thats how musicans sort of fade away. I thought he faded away.

Makes me wonder if he ever guest stared on Dukes of Hazzard. Not sure but my instinct tells me, yes.
    I remember that song and the one he did with Crystal Gail. The only thing I never understood about him was he was always looped into the Country Music crowd. He never sounded country to me he didn't have that nasal snort twang of the 80's that alot of Country singers had during that time Jon Anderson comes to mind

don't_axe_me Guest
    I thought he was younger than that when he died. I learn something new on here every day.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    "Pop me down, jack me up, shoot me out, flying down the highway.. YEEHAH!!!
    RIP Eddie!!!

radiojane Guest
    Gotta chime in with the love of a rainy night

You don't run across a lot of brooklynese country singers. Interesting.

Love his song "Step by step".

King Tut Guest
    Don't smoke, children.

gemini33 Guest
    I have a co-worker who met and introduced Eddie Rabbitt at a county fair back in the late 80's. My co-worker said Eddie was extremely nice and humble. "I Love The Rainy Nights" is my favorite by him. Liked "Driving My Life Away" and the sappy side of me loves "You And I" with Crystal Gayle and "Both To Each Other (Friends and Lovers)" with Juice Newton. Crap, Now I have to go listen to some Eddie Rabbitt!

Cettie Guest
    We saw one of his shows when he was on tour and he was fantastic. When he did Driving My Life Away the entire crowd was singing along.

Mammy Guest
    Eddie would be turning 70 in a few days if he was still alive. I love his songs and it makes me sad to think about him being gone. "Every Which Way But Loose" is my favorite song of his and I really like "You Don't Love Me Anymore" and "I Can't Help Myself," too. He had a unique voice and was sooo handsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Eddie would be turning 70 in a few days if he was still alive. I love his songs and it makes me sad to think about him being gone. "Every Which Way But Loose" is my favorite song of his and I really like "You Don't Love Me Anymore" and "I Can't Help Myself," too. He had a unique voice and was sooo handsome!
    Oh yes, Eddie Rabbitt...I love him. The last songs you mentioned are two of my favorites also. I just listened to both of them on YouTube and they sure brought back some memories.
    Last edited by Cynful; 11-23-2011 at 10:16 PM.

The Lucky One Guest
    One of the ringtones on my phone is a song by him called American Boy! Just what I am, kinda

Didn't he have a son that died? I recall hearing that somewhere.

Mammy Guest
    Yes, he had a son named Timmy who was born with biliary atresia and died in 1985 after a failed liver transplant.

Yeah!! Eddie Rabbit!! Haven't heard or talked about him in a long time. Grew up listening to him. My dad played in a band that played locally for weddings, etc., and I recall the time they decided to include Driven My Life Away to their songs and my dad was going to sing it. Lots of words. Happier times. Can't think of Eddie without thinking of Dad - who has passed on.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Mammy Guest
    Aww, I'm glad you were reminded of a nice memory, especially on Thanksgiving! I have my Eddie Rabbitt CD in my car stereo as we speak.

43. 12-22-2017, 06:12 AM