Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy L. "Rocky" Dennis

Roy L. "Rocky" Dennis

Roy L. "Rocky" Dennis (19621978) was an American boy afflicted with craniodiaphyseal dysplasia, an extremely rare, disfiguring, sclerotic bone disorder. The condition usually results in neurological disorders and death during childhood; Rocky died at the age of 16. Following Rocky's death, his family donated his body to the University of California, Los Angeles for medical research.

Well allow me to de-masculinate myself. Whenever the movie "MASK" (NOT THE JIM CARREY MOVIE ) comes on and it ends, I am a weeping good for nothing cry baby. Came on the other day and my GF said I was so cute for crying (but I know she was planning her escape). Anyway, this kid (as portrayed by the movie) was a poor unfortunate soul that was so beautiful yet so judged... like the Elephant man. I would like to think I would be his friend and not judge him (had I known him) but I know I could have been just as cruel... makes one realize how ugly they can really be inside.

Anyway... what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Jason; 11-09-2007 at 10:35 AM.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Roy L. "Rocky" Dennis (1962??1978) was an American boy afflicted with craniodiaphyseal dysplasia, an extremely rare, disfiguring, sclerotic bone disorder. The condition usually results in neurological disorders and death during childhood; Rocky died at the age of 16. Following Rocky's death, his family donated his body to the University of California, Los Angeles for medical research.

Well allow me to de-masculinate myself. Whenever the movie MASK comes on and it ends, I am a weeping good for nothing cry baby. Came on the other day and my GF said I was so cute for crying (but I know she was planning her escape). Anyway, this kid (as portrayed by the movie) was a poor unfortunate soul that was so beautiful yet so judged... like the Elephant man. I would like to think I would be his friend and not judge him (had I known him) but I know I could have been just as cruel... makes one realize how ugly they can really be inside.
    I had never even heard of this boy until just now. I had to go to wikipedia to research him. Sounds like a sad sad story. When you said the film Mask though, I thought you meant the rubbish Jim Carrey one, I was like ''Why the hell would that film have anything to do this boy''. On a side note, I actually cried at the Jim Carrey film, but because it was so bad. Anyhow, now you've mentioned the other ''Mask'' film I will have to check it out.

Mamma Guest
    Absolutely! This movie moves me to tears every time at the end!

Try to hook up with a website that gives the true story of Rocky Dennis, and his family, as opposed to the artistic liberties in the film "Mask". I wish I would have kept it, but I saw a People magazine article way back in the 80's when the film was first released. If I'm not mistaken, Rocky had a brother, older or younger I am not sure? But I think he also died, reasons due to drug abuse and quite possibly AIDS as well. Several run-ins with the law as well. Don't quote me on it though ! I'll have to dig up some info before I can say for certain.

On a personal note, "Gar" is absolutely HOT in this film, and I've never seen Cher look better than what she did in "Mask". Good thread!

~Mamma

ETA ~ SuckMyKiss, please do check out the film. You will not be disappointed. It pulls at your emotions, both the good and the bad.
    Last edited by Mamma; 11-09-2007 at 10:36 AM.

4. 11-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    I had never even heard of this boy until just now. I had to go to wikipedia to research him. Sounds like a sad sad story. When you said the film Mask though, I thought you meant the rubbish Jim Carrey one, I was like ''Why the hell would that film have anything to do this boy''. On a side note, I actually cried at the Jim Carrey film, but because it was so bad. Anyhow, now you've mentioned the other ''Mask'' film I will have to check it out.
    SUCKMYKISS it is a great film... even if it wasn't a true story it would still be extremely touching... definitely check it out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    Absolutely! This movie moves me to tears every time at the end!

Try to hook up with a website that gives the true story of Rocky Dennis, and his family, as opposed to the artistic liberties in the film "Mask". I wish I would have kept it, but I saw a People magazine article way back in the 80's when the film was first released. If I'm not mistaken, Rocky had a brother, older or younger I am not sure? But I think he also died, reasons due to drug abuse and quite possibly AIDS as well. Several run-ins with the law as well. Don't quote me on it though ! I'll have to dig up some info before I can say for certain.

On a personal note, "Gar" is absolutely HOT in this film, and I've never seen Cher look better than what she did in "Mask". Good thread!

~Mamma
    I was digging for more info on the actual events myself... and I agree Sam Elliot and Cher were at their peek in this film (when or if you find that website please let me know). Eric Stoltz also did an amazing job, it says a lot about an actor when they are willing to be on screen for 2 hours without actually being seen

little trivia for ya, Eric Stoltz was chosen as Marty McFly in Back to the Future but after doing some tests and the producers hearing Michael J Fox was available they realized Stoltz wasn't right for the part and dropped him.
    Last edited by Jason; 11-09-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Bashterd Guest
    Great movie at the end when Cher is craddling him and say's "You can go anywhere you want to now baby" and starts putting the push pins back in the map. Oh yea whole box of Klennex movie.

Oh and +1 on the Sam Elliott yummy for sure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bashterd View Post
    Great movie at the end when Cher is craddling him and say's "You can go anywhere you want to now baby" and starts putting the push pins back in the map. Oh yea whole box of Klennex movie.

Oh and +1 on the Sam Elliott yummy for sure!!!!!
    I got chills just reading "when Cher is craddling him and say's "You can go anywhere you want to now baby"" man why does that movie get to me so much. Actually, when I was younger I went to school with a boy that had an abnormally large head and I had made fun of him once or twice. This movie makes me realize what a stupid little piece of shit I was for doing that... maybe that's why I get sad, on top of the fact the movie is just plain sad.
    Last edited by Jason; 11-09-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Mamma Guest
    Jason m'dear, the best I can come up with so far is the profile for Mask at Internet Movie Data Base.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089560/

It looks pretty solid, and in the trivia link it appears both Rocky's brother AND Florence 'Rusty' Dennis have died. The brother died in the 80's I'm pretty certain, and check this out - mom Rusty died just a little over a year agon. Whoa!

Thanks for bringing up this thread. Great topic!

~Mamma

Mamma Guest
    Stoooooop iiittttt ....

~Mamma

Wow... thanks for the link, I was wondering what happened to everybody.

Also I found this image of the real Roy Dennis. For those who never saw the movie and want to compare here is an image of Roy Dennis as portrayed in the film.

hollywoodsaint Guest
    little trivia for ya, Eric Stoltz was chosen as Marty McFly in Back to the Future but after doing some tests and the producers hearing Michael J Fox was available they realized Stoltz wasn't right for the part and dropped him.

Some more trivia- the film was supposed to feature Bruce Springsteen's music, but at the last minute there was a problem with the rights and instead had to use Bob Seger's music-- which I think works great in the movie. Whenever I hear "Katmandu" I think of this movie. I think a "Director's Cut" came out a couple yrs ago where the whole film is scored to Springsteen- not sure about that, though.

Overall it's a really good movie; very "Eighties", but good nonetheless and really tugs at the heart. I'm not ashamed to admit I get a little emotional at the end, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodsaint View Post
    Some more trivia- the film was supposed to feature Bruce Springsteen's music, but at the last minute there was a problem with the rights and instead had to use Bob Seger's music-- which I think works great in the movie. Whenever I hear "Katmandu" I think of this movie. I think a "Director's Cut" came out a couple yrs ago where the whole film is scored to Springsteen- not sure about that, though.

Overall it's a really good movie; very "Eighties", but good nonetheless and really tugs at the heart. I'm not ashamed to admit I get a little emotional at the end, too.
    WOW great trivia... and I am so glad it was Bob Seger instead of "The Boss" in the film. I actually consider Seger to be the rich mans Springstein, in other words they are pretty similar in some ways except Seger can sing

lulu Guest
    Oh I loved this movie so much! I haven't seen it in forever. I remember though how popular he was with his mom's friends, all the biker dudes. And, he had the one good friend his age. Oh, and his blind girlfriend.
    I hope the real Rocky had friends like that.

Yeah me too, I bet lots was made up for the film but I always hoped Rocky's life was really like that (all the support from friends and family)

endsleigh03 Guest
    Awesome thread, Jason.
    On a lighter note, my fav line in the movie is where he says to the hooker
    "you need a business manager".

I knew his brother had died, but not his Mom.

Cataroo Guest
    I just found this about the death of Rusty Dennis: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obi..._cher_in_mask/

Seems she died from an infection a month after getting into a motorcycle accident ... at the age of 70!!! WOW!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Roy L. "Rocky" Dennis (1962??1978) was an American boy afflicted with craniodiaphyseal dysplasia, an extremely rare, disfiguring, sclerotic bone disorder. The condition usually results in neurological disorders and death during childhood; Rocky died at the age of 16. Following Rocky's death, his family donated his body to the University of California, Los Angeles for medical research.

Well allow me to de-masculinate myself. Whenever the movie "MASK" (NOT THE JIM CARREY MOVIE ) comes on and it ends, I am a weeping good for nothing cry baby. Came on the other day and my GF said I was so cute for crying (but I know she was planning her escape). Anyway, this kid (as portrayed by the movie) was a poor unfortunate soul that was so beautiful yet so judged... like the Elephant man. I would like to think I would be his friend and not judge him (had I known him) but I know I could have been just as cruel... makes one realize how ugly they can really be inside.

Anyway... what do you guys think?
    Yes, I saw it for the first time in like ten years last weekend, and I did cry at the end when Cher found his dead body in bed and then when there's the voiceover of his poem at the end. But I'm a big fag, so I can cry after a movie, you don't have any excuse!

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Wow... thanks for the link, I was wondering what happened to everybody.

Also I found this image of the real Roy Dennis. For those who never saw the movie and want to compare here is an image of Roy Dennis as portrayed in the film.
    I think the real Rocky is smiling in that pic. But that is the only one I've ever seen. I have looked a few times. I'm guessing Rusty kept camera exposure at a minimum.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Wasn't Cher doing Eric Stolz during the filming (hopefully without the make-up)?

lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    I think the real Rocky is smiling in that pic. But that is the only one I've ever seen. I have looked a few times. I'm guessing Rusty kept camera exposure at a minimum.
    I've always wondered why that's the only pic of him.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    I've always wondered why that's the only pic of him.
    Well, if the movie is true, he and his mom were dirt poor and stuff, so maybe no money for film and developing film, even assuming they owned a camera.

The mom dies last year. Cher was a no-show at the funeral.

leppchic Guest
    Oh my gosh I cry like a baby everytime I see this too. It was so touching. I think that movie made me realize that we can even stare not meaning to at people who are different. Now I am very aware. I try not to look even with a smile, I don't want anyone to feel embarrased or like they are a freak and I just can't help but to look. It made me more aware of how I would feel if people stared at me everytime I would go somewhere. Bless his heart.

lulu Guest
    Did Rusty collaborate with the movie?

daisymom73 Guest
    Rocky's poem:
    These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face.
    These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.

I can still hear Eric Stolz's voice saying this! I love that movie!

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daisymom73 View Post
    Rocky's poem:
    These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face.
    These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.

i love that part of the movie~ that movie is still heartwrenching even tho i have seen it a zillion times~ cher & sam elliot were super gorgeous in the movie, but eric stolz was incredible~ i too have searched for yrs & yrs to find other pics of rocky on the net, the one that is posted is also the pic from the 80's people article that was written when the film was out~ i think it is cool that his mom was till riding motorcycles after all these years~ great movie!!!~

Bashterd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daisymom73 View Post
    Rocky's poem:

Ok I need a Puff's just thinking about that poem makes me sniffle again.

I love the part in the movie where he goes to school and wins everyone over. I like to think that was true because we all know how cruel people can be especially kids. I learned from that scene and hopefully taught my girls something (cause we watched together a few years ago) about overcoming obstacles and tolerence of those who are different from us.

Kathyf Guest
    What a great but sad movie. I just watched it last month again.

daisymom73 Guest
    Yes, it is cool that his mom was still riding motorcycles at the age of 70........unfortunately not so cool that she also completed a prison sentence for possession of methamphetamines in April 2005. oops....lol.

Guest Guest
    WOW great trivia... and I am so glad it was Bob Seger instead of "The Boss" in the film. I actually consider Seger to be the rich mans Springstein, in other words they are pretty similar in some ways except Seger can sing
    Hey now..Bruce is my ass monkey...easy now!

Guest Guest
    IMHO Cher was ROBBED at the Oscars! of any movie she has done THIS was the one she should have won that trophy for! I hated Moonstruck! okay Snap outof it!

Bob Seger is great but Bruce's ass IS devine...lol

I cry every time I see it..great movie

Didn't know about siblings or that his mom just died...well she's with him again

sniff...now I'm tearing up

xenaswolf Guest
    That is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    I think the make-up folks did a pretty good job.
    Even a big a lesbian as I am, I thought Sam Elliot was HOT! LOL so did my mother. I'd never heard her say anything sexual about anyone till she was watching him. She popped off "he could do me anytime. I'd take a moustache ride!" I about choked I was laughing so hard LOL
    I give it a+2 on the kleenex scale

Thumbs up

Yes, there is a Director's Cut of this movie - and I highly recommend it since there are at least 15 extra minutes to the movie added in - including a biker's funeral when Red (the old biker dies), a duet with Rocky & Rusty around a firepit and some other scenes.

And yes the music is all Springsteen. This is the actual cut that was first released at the premiere of the movie, but then Bogdanovich took it back in and edited the movie and the music. Apparently all along, Springsteen was fine with his music being used - but his record company wasn't.

And the part I always cry at, is when that big biker, Dozer comes up to Rocky at his graduation (the one that can't speak) and sputers out to Rocky "I'm really proud of you...". I'm instantly crying at that scene....

Great movie - director's cut HIGHLY recommended. You'll see the movie in a whole different light!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    IMHO Cher was ROBBED at the Oscars! of any movie she has done THIS was the one she should have won that trophy for! I hated Moonstruck! okay Snap outof it!

Bob Seger is great but Bruce's ass IS devine...lol

I cry every time I see it..great movie

Didn't know about siblings or that his mom just died...well she's with him again

sniff...now I'm tearing up
    Yeah she was excellent in that movie, it's my favorite of hers. She was perfect for that role

erin Guest
    How wierd/funny. I just watched Mask on HBO yesterday. I cry like a baby EVERY time I see it. I start crying before the scene when the phone rings telling Rusty that Rocky wasn't at school. Just knowing what's going to happen makes me get all verklempt!

Thanks, by the way, for this thread. I never knew Rusty had another child, and didn't know until now that she had died.

Chascsq Guest
    My neighbors used to live in Glendora. They told me that they lived a couple blocks from the Dennis', and used to see Rocky occasionally. They pretty much confirmed that the movie was Candylanded compared to the reality. Still the movie was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascsq View Post
    My neighbors used to live in Glendora. They told me that they lived a couple blocks from the Dennis', and used to see Rocky occasionally. They pretty much confirmed that the movie was Candylanded compared to the reality. Still the movie was superb.
    Do tell....

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Do tell....
    seconding that.

The movie is one of those I can watch over and over. Everyone in it was terrific.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

Chascsq Guest
    ^^^

Pretty much what someone else said...the mother was on drugs bad; yes it was speed, and the bikers were rowdy, disturbing the peace etc. Still they said she was a protective mother.

And the part I always cry at, is when that big biker, Dozer comes up to Rocky at his graduation (the one that can't speak) and sputers out to Rocky "I'm really proud of you...". I'm instantly crying at that scene....

OMG Aries...now you got me going with the waterworks. I agree, that was the most moving part for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Yes, great story and great movie!

This thread just made me realize that my formerly sheltered husband (who was not allowed to watch much in the way of movies or t.v. when he was young) probably hasn't seen this one yet. Time to put this in our Blockbuster queue.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Yes, great story and great movie!

This thread just made me realize that my formerly sheltered husband (who was not allowed to watch much in the way of movies or t.v. when he was young) probably hasn't seen this one yet. Time to put this in our Blockbuster queue.

Thanks guys!
    Get the director's cut version!!!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    C'mon ... I can understand Bogdanovich wanting to see his "original" vision realized-- but since the movie had already been out for 20 years before the Director's Cut was realeased, don't you think it was a little late?? Would you really recommend to someone who's never seen the film to get the Springsteen version?? Not knocking it, but for me Seger's music is one of the things that makes the movie for me. JMO.

Batmama Guest
    Mask is one of my all time favorite movies.Best movie Cher ever did in my opinion.

I remember reading about Rusty's death a while back.From what I remember the article I read said that her remains went unclaimed for about a month.I'll see if I can find it again.

Batmama Guest
    Drat! Can't find the link now.Sorry folks.

Kathyf Guest

Smile

Hey now..Bruce is my ass monkey...easy now!
    Bruce does not compare to Seger at all. Seger is one of the best. My friend and I saw Springsteen a couple of years ago. He is on our BOYCOTT list LOL. It was a waste of money. He did not sing Born in the USA or Thunder road. We have also Boycotted madonna her concert was all Kabbala Crap.

I done dood dat.

Thanks!

Guest Guest
    well which concert was it? If it was his acoustic tour then BITUSA wouldn't be on the list...I love him! Seger rocks it...but I must bounce quarters off of Bruce's ASS...aww someday someday! lol

Kathyf Guest
    well which concert was it? If it was his acoustic tour then BITUSA wouldn't be on the list...I love him! Seger rocks it...but I must bounce quarters off of Bruce's ASS...aww someday someday! lol
    Thats funny Dear heart It was not the acoustic. I just had a laugh when I saw that because we still laugh about it. I really do like Sprinsteen but he is still boycotted. I just saw Seger in March he was so good. My 3rd time.

I just looked in our queue again and it said it's the special edition with Bob Seger. I've been listening to him since I was a kid-he's fab.

Maybe there are a few different editions available, but in our zip code that's the one they offer and it's fine with me.

lil_zino Guest
    If there's any extra scenes with Lawrence Monoson in them, I'm so checking that version out.

At any rate, this is the one movie that makes me cry as well. My husband is way younger than I and didn't remember this when it was around the first time, so he and I watched it one night while sharing a bottle of wine. Even he found the movie sad.

I know that it's far from factual, but I really liked the overall message of the film. It's okay to be who you are and not have to apologize for that. Who cares what others think. I like that.

C'mon ... I can understand Bogdanovich wanting to see his "original" vision realized-- but since the movie had already been out for 20 years before the Director's Cut was realeased, don't you think it was a little late?? Would you really recommend to someone who's never seen the film to get the Springsteen version?? Not knocking it, but for me Seger's music is one of the things that makes the movie for me. JMO.
    Well, I prefer the director's cut - because of all the extra scenes in it that makes the movie make more "sense". If you watch both, you will see how the extra scenes fill in the "gaps" and I know you will be thinking, "Oh okay, now I see why that scene was like that..."

As for the music, when the movie was originally made, it was all done to Springsteen music. You can even tell while watching the director's cut that it was Springsteen playing in the background - even while filming the movie.

Seger was just "dubbed" in after the movie was already made - and Springsteen's stripped out.

Sorry, if anyone is confused, but as a hard-core movie fanatic - and a BIG TIME fan of this movie and of Cher (this is one of my favorite movies of hers - and I have them all), I appreciate extended scenes, deleted scenes and director's cuts - and I'm always updating my (very big!) DVD collection when a new version of my favorite films come out.

I just appreciate the fact that this version is the one that was meant to be seen - not the stripped out one that Hollywood wanted all of us to see instead and with the wrong music!

Rocky was a BIG-TIME fan of Springsteen and not of Seger, by the way.