Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divine

Divine

I just watched Female Trouble the other night and pissed myself silly. Wasn't she beautiful? I was a senior when she died in March of 88. Rest in peace, gorgeous.

GEAUX LSU Guest
    when i first started being morbid divine was the first one i studied..never heard of him..was facinated at what he looked like as a man i searched and finally found it on divine's page. even tried to do a closeup of casket picture. even found a picture of what his mother looked like. anyway im over it now. divine died the same day my dad did but eight years later. RIP divine

Finally! Another Divine fan!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Zeenie Guest
    I love Divine, and especially "Female Trouble," especially the "Taffy, you are definitely retarded," bit. Genius! Youtube has a lot of excellent Divine clips...

knothere Guest
    I like the music video You think your a man but your only a boy.
    Used to dance to it all the time when I was younger lol.

Zeenie, that's so funny! :We had you tested and you're definately retarded".

onehunglow Guest
    He was the guy who ate dog poop and then worried himself sick over doing it for a few bucks on camera. I guess it didn't kill him.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    i was not even born when she died, but i do appreciate her work. i loved her!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegodeathhag19 View Post
    i was not even born when she died, but i do appreciate her work. i loved her!
    My god that makes me feel old...

Tell me about it, fire! Just think how "Old Man Harry" in CT. feels!! Just kiddin' Harry!

Kathyf Guest
    I love Divine too. My son met john Waters and he signed my PinkFlamingos/Female Trouble set, and I talked to him on the phone.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    I like the music video You think your a man but your only a boy.
    Used to dance to it all the time when I was younger lol.

I loved that song! I had it on my CHOOSE 1985 album, along with other classics - AGADOO... what an album!

I live about a half mile from PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY where DIVINE who would turn 62 tomorrow is buried. While growing up, my best friend for 2,3 years was MILSTEAD cousin of DIVINE'S . I remember well when
    [SIZE=3]PINK FLAMINGOS[/SIZE] came out and my friend's mother had told my friend and his younger brother that if asked
    "NO, you are not related to Glennie ! Got it ?" I think that all of the MILSTEADS were horrified at the time. The younger brother of my friend would be one of the pallbearers for DIVINE. Of course years later, everything changed. DIVINE'S mother wrote a book about him etcetera, but I know that for a time they were NOT speaking.

DIVINE attended the same high school that I did (17 years earlier than I) TOWSON SENIOR HIGH. JOHN WATERS used the school for the scene in SERIAL MOM in which the KATHLEEN TURNER character of 'Mrs. Sutphin' runs over her son's teacher in the parking lot. Up until MICHAEL PHELPS, I think that DIVINE was our most famous alumni. I used to work with a woman who had been a classmate of DIVINE'S. She adored him she said, but her father didn't want "that fruit hanging around". She told me about a Halloween party in which DIVINE came dressed up as ELIZABETH TAYLOR as 'Gloria' from [SIZE=3]BUtterfield 8. [SIZE=2]After high school DIVINE became a hairdresser and was known as 'Mr. Glennie'. He worked at a shop in the Dulaney Valley Shopping Center. He'd known WATERS since high school who used the post h.s. Glennie in his early 8mm films. I don't think that it was until 6,7 years later when [SIZE=3]PINK FLAMINGOS[/SIZE] was made that everything really took off.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

WATERS, btw is an interesting person & one of the best things that Baltimore has going.

Yours truly on the right in the plaid shirt.

Laura1020 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    My god that makes me feel old...
    And me.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

Cutie!

Kareika Guest
    I adore Divine!
    I just felt like I needed to share.

[SIZE=4]I liked DiVINE too, but you just couldn't top [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]EDiTH MASSEY........ [/SIZE]

"I'd be so happy if you bleached your hair and turned nelly....."
    - Aunt Ida in [SIZE=3]FEMALE TROUBLE[/SIZE]

Native Love rocks!!

"And I can have all the eggs I want!?"

[/quote]

"Daddy, daddy, buy me THAT!"

magblax Guest
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Divine!!! Pink Flamingos is a total classic. I loved her in Hairspray too and cannot get over the casting for the remake (John Travolta as Edna (what the eff? I guess they wanted to stay consistent and pick another queen to play the part)

Krissypoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Divine!!! Pink Flamingos is a total classic. I loved her in Hairspray too and cannot get over the casting for the remake (John Travolta as Edna (what the eff? I guess they wanted to stay consistent and pick another queen to play the part)
    AMEN! My mom took my daughter to see the remake of Hairspray a few months ago and my daughter was raving about it...I wasn't thrilled that they had remade it in the first place because I am a big Divine and John Waters fan. So we rented the original Hairspray and have watched it about four times this past week. I boycotted the remake when it hit the theaters this past summer, but I might watch it in DVD. I just can't imagine anyone but DIVINE as Edna Turnblad. From what I have read, Glen Milstad was a very gentle and humble man.

RoRo Guest
    Divine was simply....divine!!!!! Love John Waters too
    Casting Travolta was a travesty, goofy, in the closet, cult boy...jmo

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    [SIZE=4]I liked DiVINE too, but you just couldn't top [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]EDiTH MASSEY........ [/SIZE]
    Oh dear lord. My brother is a Devine FANATIC, because of Female Trouble, we now refer to the strange woman across the street from us (who bears some resemblance to Edith Massey) as "Aunt Ida". I cannot begin to describe how annoying our "Aunt Ida" is.

On another note, one of my favorite quotes from a Pink Flamingos is: "The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." XD
    Last edited by KMKSouthie2001; 10-21-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    On another note, one of my favorite quotes from a Pink Flamingos is: "The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." XD
    I think that quote is from FEMALE TROUBLE.
    The scene in which Aunt Ida is trying to talk her nephew Gator into becoming a homo. Right before she says the line above, she says something about how she worries about him getting married, having children...........

Krissypoo Guest
    I think that quote is from FEMALE TROUBLE.
    The scene in which Aunt Ida is trying to talk her nephew Gator into becoming a homo. Right before she says the line above, she says something about how she worries about him getting married, having children...........
    Is it Female Trouble or Pink Flamingoes where Edith's character becomes really preppy and leisure class and says stuff like "de rigeur" and "gauche"? Oh frick I laugh just thinking about it. I need to see those movies again... No chacha heels at Christmas...and "Who wants to be famous..." so many great lines John Waters has written.

Neither.
    EDITH affects those words in JOHN WATERS'
    [SIZE=5]P O L Y E S T E R[/SIZE]

Morrissey Guest
    I'm a huge Divine fan.

Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble are two of my top films ever.

I grew up on Waters' movies, even though I wasn't alive when Divine died, either.

It's so sad to see how many of the great stars are dead. (Mueller, Lochary, Massey...)

I got a copy of pink flamingos about four years ago i lent it to a friend without telling her what it was like knowing she will go nuts and she did freak out but her then husband loved it and since got me a copy of polyester to add to my collection smashing guy!!!

Dont forget Edie the egg woman she was great

Jazbabee Guest
    I hated Travolta as Edna Turnblad - what a Godawful mess that was !! NO ONE will ever be able to fill Divines shoes ( errr .....stilletos ??)

Irishlass Guest

I live about a half mile from PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY where DIVINE who would turn 62 tomorrow is buried. While growing up, my best friend for 2,3 years was MILSTEAD cousin of DIVINE'S . I remember well when
    [SIZE=3]PINK FLAMINGOS[/SIZE] came out and my friend's mother had told my friend and his younger brother that if asked
    "NO, you are not related to Glennie ! Got it ?" I think that all of the MILSTEADS were horrified at the time. The younger brother of my friend would be one of the pallbearers for DIVINE. Of course years later, everything changed. DIVINE'S mother wrote a book about him etcetera, but I know that for a time they were NOT speaking.

DIVINE attended the same high school that I did (17 years earlier than I) TOWSON SENIOR HIGH. JOHN WATERS used the school for the scene in SERIAL MOM in which the KATHLEEN TURNER character of 'Mrs. Sutphin' runs over her son's teacher in the parking lot. Up until MICHAEL PHELPS, I think that DIVINE was our most famous alumni. I used to work with a woman who had been a classmate of DIVINE'S. She adored him she said, but her father didn't want "that fruit hanging around". She told me about a Halloween party in which DIVINE came dressed up as ELIZABETH TAYLOR as 'Gloria' from [SIZE=3]BUtterfield 8. [SIZE=2]After high school DIVINE became a hairdresser and was known as 'Mr. Glennie'. He worked at a shop in the Dulaney Valley Shopping Center. He'd known WATERS since high school who used the post h.s. Glennie in his early 8mm films. I don't think that it was until 6,7 years later when [SIZE=3]PINK FLAMINGOS[/SIZE] was made that everything really took off.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

WATERS, btw is an interesting person & one of the best things that Baltimore has going.

You have beautful eyes

Anyway, I read that the makers of "the little Mermaid" Used Divine as a model for Ursula the sea witch
    Last edited by Irishlass; 10-23-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something else

Krissypoo Guest
    Neither.
    EDITH affects those words in JOHN WATERS'

[SIZE=5]P O L Y E S T E R[/SIZE]
    I didn't even realize I'd seen that one......thanks. I love Edith in that. I've got to get a copy to watch asap.

I still have the "scratch and sniff" card that we used for Polyester!!

star82 Guest
    Scott and I witnessed the Regency hotel being torn down. That is the hotel where Divine died.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncydivine2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncydivine1.jpg

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    I love John Waters and Divine was so talented! I hate Travolta in the Hairspray remake...he can't hold a candle to Divine!!

GEAUX LSU Guest
    i didn't see any of divine's movies but watched all his videos on youtube. anyway does anyone have a closeup of divine in his casket?

JGrier Guest
    Just finished watching the remake of Hairspray. Not a bad movie but, would have been better with Divine.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    You have beautful eyes

Anyway, I read that the makers of "the little Mermaid" Used Divine as a model for Ursula the sea witch
    Love that pic!

hilarious parody of john candy as divine, sctv 'a sexy holiday' with dusty towne:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=61wrlmWb1G4
    pull the string!

Big girl, but she carried it well..........
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Cathy J. Guest
    Speaking of Divine & John Waters recently I read on another site that the local Baltimore television stations for some reason have this love/hate thing with John Waters.

A lot of the original Hairspray flick I believe was filmed at Baltimore's WMAR channel 2 even though the Corny Collins show was based on the real life Buddy Deane show that aired on WJZ channel 13 back in the early 60s.

Baltimore's WBAL channel 11 I am pretty sure made an appearance in at least one Waters flick.

But the movie A Dirty Shame, I heard that pretty much all of the Baltimore television station refused to be a part of that.

Wonder how much truth there is to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Speaking of Divine & John Waters recently I read on another site that the local Baltimore television stations for some reason have this love/hate thing with John Waters.

A lot of the original Hairspray flick I believe was filmed at Baltimore's WMAR channel 2 even though the Corny Collins show was based on the real life Buddy Deane show that aired on WJZ channel 13 back in the early 60s.

Baltimore's WBAL channel 11 I am pretty sure made an appearance in at least one Waters flick.

But the movie A Dirty Shame, I heard that pretty much all of the Baltimore television station refused to be a part of that.

Wonder how much truth there is to this?
    I don't believe that it was WMAR/Channel 2 that was used because, very simply it doesn't look like that building. I know it fairly well; it's 2 miles down the road from me and I've looked at for 40 years, plus I've been inside it a few times. (I was on ROMPER ROOM with Miss Sally in July 1967 for 2 weeks too. Wee !) Anyway, I thought that the location for the tv station in HAIRSPRAY looked more like something on (our) TV HILL area meaning WBAL, WJZ or FOX-45.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    The first Hairspray was much better, but the new one was fine standing alone, I enjoyed it at the time.
    So, John Waters said on the Mommie Dearest DVD commentary that he once had an actress boozing on the set, but of course would not elaborate. I don't think Mink Stole or Patty Hearst would booze on the set, so I was thinking either Melanie Griffith or Kathleen Turner. I'm just starting the Kathleen Turner book and she writes on the jacket about how her arthritis caused her to have a drinking problem, though I thought that was long after Serial Mom, but maybe not. Any thoughts??

dbrian Guest
    LOL Check out this outrageous video/interview of Divine!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztntoC7st6E

Cathy J. Guest
    I don't believe that it was WMAR/Channel 2 that was used because, very simply it doesn't look like that building. I know it fairly well; it's 2 miles down the road from me and I've looked at for 40 years, plus I've been inside it a few times. (I was on ROMPER ROOM with Miss Sally in July 1967 for 2 weeks too. Wee !) Anyway, I thought that the location for the tv station in HAIRSPRAY looked more like something on (our) TV HILL area meaning WBAL, WJZ or FOX-45.
    It could very well have been WBAL which was used for Hairspray. They ( channel 11 ) have been used in many movies.

Doubt it would have been WJZ because Westinghouse at the time of Hairspray owned them and they were picky I was told about any of their stations being used in films. Westinghouse at the time also owned Philadelphia's KYW and I seem to recall they wouldn't allow that station to be used in some movie that was filmed in Philly. But then again WJZ was featured in the 1980 flick "...and justice for all", so I really can't rule them out either.

WBFF Fox 45..well they are owned by the Sinclair family. They owned WBFF back then too ( 1987/1988 Hairspray ). Considering their right-wing politics I really doubt they would allow either Divine or John Waters on their parkling lot, much less film anything there.

If it wasnt WBAL or WMAR, maybe Waters used one of the Lancaster, PA stations for the filming such as WGAL channel 8 or Fox 43 WPMT. After all some of Hairspray was filmed in Pennsylvania such as Dorney Park being used as "Tilted Acres".
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 02-21-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Divine was, simply, divine! I can't even look at the posters of the new movie version of Hairspray without getting skeeved out (well, the fact that I can't stand Travolta has something to do with it, too)! I have no desire to see it. Nobody can hold a candle to the original Edna Turnblad, not the least a guy in a terrible fat suit and makeup. What were they thinking?!

We saw Hairspray on Broadway about a year ago, and the guy who played Edna was hilarious! He was a large-ish man, with the same voice as Divine, and played the part very well. I think he was channeling her!

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Haha I thought Travolta was a queen lol

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes1986 View Post
    Haha I thought Travolta was a queen lol
    And not a good one either.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    The first Hairspray was much better, but the new one was fine standing alone, I enjoyed it at the time.
    So, John Waters said on the Mommie Dearest DVD commentary that he once had an actress boozing on the set, but of course would not elaborate. I don't think Mink Stole or Patty Hearst would booze on the set, so I was thinking either Melanie Griffith or Kathleen Turner. I'm just starting the Kathleen Turner book and she writes on the jacket about how her arthritis caused her to have a drinking problem, though I thought that was long after Serial Mom, but maybe not. Any thoughts??
    I worked for Baltimore County government at the time that they were filming SERIAL MOM. I saw several of the actors up close. Funny, I was on an elevator one day and didn't realize at first that PATTY HEARST was standing right next to me; she's really quite small. She always appeared larger on tv to me, so I was surprised. TURNER walked by me one afternoon. She's an OX. I remember (that) I looked down to see if she had heels on; she didn't. She had on tennis shoes, but still- she's a man baby ! She was wearing the suit she wore for some of the courtroom scenes. No wonder she was so good at playing Chandler's transsexual father on FRiENDS. She might have been having a bad day, but she didn't seem to friendly. On then other hand, when SUZANNE SOMERS came to the courthouse for her scenes, she was very sweet. She stopped for anyone who spoke to her, signed autographs etc.

My cousins were approached about using their home in Hampton for the SERIAL MOM movie as the home of Beverly Sutphin (TURNER), but my cousin's wife said "nothing doing" because she had friends who' home in Roland Park had been used in the film ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, and although they were paid a nice fee to let the production company use their home, it had been left a mess. At the time, I remember urging them to do it, but now I can understand why they'd nixed the idea.

As for whether it was TURNER or GRIFFITH who was the booZer, it could also have been another actress. Take a look at the casts of his various films- there's plenty to choose from !