Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eric Smith: 13 y/o Convicted of the Murder of Derrick Robie, age 4

I think that it was a case of jealousy as well as a pent up rage from the abuse he (ERIC) had endured at the hands of other kids.

The jealousy being that DERRICK represented to ERIC an ideal
    All American Boy- good looking, blond, nice smile; something that ERIC would never be. (And) by being years younger, lots smaller than ERIC it was possible for ERIC to do his sick deeds. The sodomy aspect leads me to believe that ERIC likely had/has some sexual angst.

As for not knowing the ramifications of committing a murder; At 13 ERIC most certainly knew that what he was doing was wrong. It's just pitiful that ERIC was so full of rage, pent up rage, that he expelled it via murder.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    I also caught this episode of 48 hours. The thing that struck me was the letter Eric read. He read it with as much cold detachment in his voice as is on his face. He said he felt 'trapped' and that the world would be a better place with him out in it. He also said that he wanted to achieve "great things" such as becoming a counselor for children.

Is it me, or is this a cold blooded fiend asking us not only to release him from his cage, but also to send more potential victims his way?

I hope he gets the same treatment in prison that other child killers and molesters get, and I hope he rots in the cell he's 'trapped' in.
    Shay, when I heard him read that letter it crossed my mind that possibly his lawyer(the one that is trying to get him released) may have written it for him or at least helped. AND yes, he did have loving grandparents that totally loved him and he seemed to feel the same way about them. It was his grandfather that he confessed to about what he had done. Poor Grandpa....he was floored, absolutely could not believe this little boy he loved was confessing to such a horrific crime. He said he never saw a trace or hint that his grandson had the ability to murder another child.....never saw it coming at all. The grandparents seemed to be quite loving and caring. Have to admit, when I read the whole report of what he actually did, it makes sense that he stays where he is.

octobersky Guest
    He seemed like he was medicated to me. Which is certainly possible. That can cause a flat affect like he had. He was an outcast and instead of rising above that - he took the wrong way out. Parole - DENIED, I say.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by octobersky View Post
    He seemed like he was medicated to me. Which is certainly possible. That can cause a flat affect like he had. He was an outcast and instead of rising above that - he took the wrong way out. Parole - DENIED, I say.
    You sound just like Suzi Orman when she says DENIED.

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    You sound just like Suzi Orman when she says DENIED.
    LOL. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Watching a show on this case right now. It was horrible. Happened on my 6th birthday too.

Makes me so sad to think that a child around my age died on one of the happiest days of my life. I wish I could have traded places with little Derrick. He didn't deserve a life so short.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 11-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Mammy Guest
    Hi, TM! Long time, no see!

I haven't thought about this little fucker for years. I had never seen the thread about him here before. I was kinda scared to read the thread because I was afraid it had been bumped up because he was being released. I'm glad that isn't the case. I've seen shows with him being interviewed and he is one of the creepiest people I've ever seen. I hope he never gets out.

Hey Mammy! How are you?

Yeah, the kid who did it creeps me out. He looks evil.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Mammy Guest
    That little sumbitch gave me goosebumps like no other on the show I watched about him. He had the coldest, deadest eyes I've ever seen, especially to be on a kid. It's like there was no human behind them. He should never be released.

RebelRocker Guest
    anybody have a link to what the guy looks like now?

wow nevermind, i just googled it. i normally have an attraction to red heads but not this guy. creepy.
    Last edited by RebelRocker; 11-10-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Starstruck Guest
    I don't understand what stopped her from jumping down there to get her child, I'm a mum and I wouldn't have thought
    twice about it. I mean don't all parents have the instinct to throw yourself under a bus to save your child. I have been in the
    situation where I have hurt myself grabbing my child from a perceived harm so I just don't get it.

OMG - I am so glad I am not the only person who thought (thinks) this little fawker is creepy... He should NEVER get out - Like...... Never............
    My Posse's On Broadway

Mammy Guest
    If he wasn't so cold and evil, I could almost have some compassion for him. He is one of the ugliest humans I've ever laid eyes on!

14. 05-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Eric Smith denied parole for the seventh time

Attachment 50662

A New York state prison inmate serving a life term for killing a 4-year-old boy when he was 13 has been denied parole for the seventh time.
    The 34-year-old Smith is in maximum-security Collins Correctional Facility south of Buffalo. After a hearing April 11 2014, the parole board
    says the "serious and brutal" crime is more compelling than Smith's clean disciplinary record, positive prison programming and release plans.

The board notes "significant community opposition" to Smith's release from prison.

Mammy Guest
    I hope he NEVER gets released!

He is so creepy. He was psychopath at an early age for sure. I doubt he will ever be released, or at least I hope not.

Mammy Guest
    I've watched him in interviews and he comes across as cold and remorseless. I doubt if being locked up for over three decades has done much but make him angrier and more sociopathic. He's creepy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I've watched him in interviews and he comes across as cold and remorseless. I doubt if being locked up for over three decades has done much but make him angrier and more sociopathic. He's creepy as hell.
    Exactly. He looked way creepier as a kid than he does as an adult. It's like something out of a horror movie.

Mammy Guest
    I sure wouldn't want him in the neighborhood!

I sure wouldn't want him in the neighborhood!
    He could hang with Mr. Rogers and sing the song.......................creeeeeeepppppyyyyyyyyyy.

Wendy A. Guest
    I saw the thread and I was afraid he was released! Thank God he's still locked up! Even with age and tinted glasses he still looks cold and creepy! A 13 yr old is old enough to know right from wrong, what he did is horrible, I hope he spends the rest of his life locked up!

OMG - he is STILL a creepy looking fucker.... He needs to stay right where he is!
    My Posse's On Broadway

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    Attachment 50662

A New York state prison inmate serving a life term for killing a 4-year-old boy when he was 13 has been denied parole for the seventh time.
    The 34-year-old Smith is in maximum-security Collins Correctional Facility south of Buffalo. After a hearing April 11 2014, the parole board
    says the "serious and brutal" crime is more compelling than Smith's clean disciplinary record, positive prison programming and release plans.

The board notes "significant community opposition" to Smith's release from prison.
    Whoa, same reaction I get whenever I see a pic of Damian Echols....

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Whoa, same reaction I get whenever I see a pic of Damian Echols....
    Hell yeah! I'm with you on that one!

I thought this was interesting little link. Nothing spectacular but a little insight and detail. Plus it has some interesting video links.
    http://krazykillers.wordpress.com/20...c-smith-story/
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    I thought this was interesting little link. Nothing spectacular but a little insight and detail. Plus it has some interesting video links.
    http://krazykillers.wordpress.com/20...c-smith-story/
    Thanks for the link! It surprised me to see people who commented on the article who are sympathetic toward Eric. No matter how pissed off and bullied Eric claimed to be, it takes a sick fuck to sodomize a four year old with a tree limb along with everything else he did to Derrick.

Okay, I hate to be THAT person, but I can't help it. Who lets a four year old walk to summer camp by themselves? Before anyone says "Well, it was a different world then," it happened in 1993. I won't let my seven year old grandson play in my front yard unless someone is out there with him, much less walking somewhere alone. Ginger boy wouldn't have had a chance to get his paws on Derrick if an adult was there with him.

Wendy A. Guest
    Thanks for the link! It surprised me to see people who commented on the article who are sympathetic toward Eric. No matter how pissed off and bullied Eric claimed to be, it takes a sick fuck to sodomize a four year old with a tree limb along with everything else he did to Derrick.

Okay, I hate to be THAT person, but I can't help it. Who lets a four year old walk to summer camp by themselves? Before anyone says "Well, it was a different world then," it happened in 1993. I won't let my seven year old grandson play in my front yard unless someone is out there with him, much less walking somewhere alone. Ginger boy wouldn't have had a chance to get his paws on Derrick if an adult was there with him.
    Ok, it's cool to be "that person" at least in my eyes. I don't care if I lived in frickin' Mayberry, a 4 yr old has no business walking somewhere by himself like that. I couldn't imagine anyone being sympathetic towards Eric (I didn't read the article) I feel he was old enough to know right from wrong and can spend the rest of his life pondering it. Anyone who feels people like him should be released can take them to their house with an armed guard ready to shoot him if he escapes, we'll see how sorry they really feel for him then.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    Ok, it's cool to be "that person" at least in my eyes. I don't care if I lived in frickin' Mayberry, a 4 yr old has no business walking somewhere by himself like that. I couldn't imagine anyone being sympathetic towards Eric (I didn't read the article) I feel he was old enough to know right from wrong and can spend the rest of his life pondering it. Anyone who feels people like him should be released can take them to their house with an armed guard ready to shoot him if he escapes, we'll see how sorry they really feel for him then.
    I haven't seen any interviews of him since right around the time of the murder. He was so cold and creepy in the interview that it gave me goosebumps. I don't understand people who let very young children go unsupervised. There was a four year old from Kentucky who went missing in 2007 and was murdered by a sex offender who lived behind the apartment complex where the little boy lived. The little boy's mother let him wander around all over the place by himself and the guy who murdered him had watched this little boy and knew he was often outside alone. When the opportunity presented itself, he lured the little boy into the guy's home, gave him alcohol, raped him, and then drowned him in the bathtub. Eight months before the little boy was murdered, he was a couple of blocks from his home wandering around alone and got hit by a car. You would think it would have been a wake up call for his mother and she would have seen that it was dangerous for him to be unsupervised. Obviously she didn't give a shit and he was brutally murdered.

Wendy A. Guest
    I haven't seen any interviews of him since right around the time of the murder. He was so cold and creepy in the interview that it gave me goosebumps. I don't understand people who let very young children go unsupervised. There was a four year old from Kentucky who went missing in 2007 and was murdered by a sex offender who lived behind the apartment complex where the little boy lived. The little boy's mother let him wander around all over the place by himself and the guy who murdered him had watched this little boy and knew he was often outside alone. When the opportunity presented itself, he lured the little boy into the guy's home, gave him alcohol, raped him, and then drowned him in the bathtub. Eight months before the little boy was murdered, he was a couple of blocks from his home wandering around alone and got hit by a car. You would think it would have been a wake up call for his mother and she would have seen that it was dangerous for him to be unsupervised. Obviously she didn't give a shit and he was brutally murdered.
    I remember that! It happened in Louisville! That son of a bitch tossed the babys body in a dumpster! The mother was an immigrant, not sure where from. I'll never forget him.

babyblujems Guest

Complete agreement, I live on a street in which we know every neighbor (we recently just bought the house my husband grew up in and moved back) and I would not let my 6 year old play outside alone much less walk to camp.

Mammy Guest
    I'm glad other people here agree. I feel bad for Derrick's parents and I'm sure it probably haunts them and they wish they had done things differently. It's a shame that kids can't be out of their parents sight and be safe, but four is too young for a child to be wandering around alone even if a predator didn't get him. There are too many dangers that a child that age wouldn't know to avoid. It's horrible that Derrick was so brutally murdered by another child.

Wendy, Ivan Cano's mother was from Guatemala. That is where he is buried. I'll never forget him either.

Just watched a story about this on an episode of Killer Kids. Derrick sure was a cutie, poor thing. Makes me so sad to think about what he endured at that evil boys hands. I hope he never gets out of prison.

I hope he never gets out.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    13 or not they should have just killed the little bastard straight off. He is defective. God's and/or natures mistake.

Mammy, you're not alone... it's now "those people" -- you said what needed said, and I completely agree.

On the -- not sure which news story show it was featured on, but on the story.... did anyone else feel sorry for Derek's little brother? I mean it just seems... Well did they HAVE to say he was being "fussy" (he was an infant, wtf) and that's why she let her little boy walk that day? Why on earth would she say that, even if it were true? It's TV, he's gonna see it and damn.... doesn't he matter? Pissed me off.

Also: (I'm being "that person" as well, Mammy...) why is it that so many child abductions seem to happen "the first time we ever let him walk alone." Not saying they're big liars or anything, but it happens a lot. Etan Patz was one... a lot more, I know. Just... I mean maybe it was. Or maybe that's how they like to see it, because any other way would make the guilt unbearable. I get it. But man, if you watch these stories, 99.999% of a kid's lone journeys are just fine, it's that first step that ya gotta watch. Just an observation.

And I know it was a show about Derrick, so of course all we saw were family moments concerning him. But the brother... he just... I felt like maybe he's under the shadow of an older brother he can never outdo, never outshine, and never win the adoration from his parents they so obviously had/have for his brother. I felt bad for him... I may be wrong as hell, I know. But that was my take on it. That poor child. Yes, they lost a son, God knows I can't pretend that isn't a living nightmare. But they had another, and it just looked like... they were kinda losing him too. Hope he gets fantastic therapy and works through all that (right...) I doubt he will but I hope he does.

And yeah, what a beautiful child Derrick was, my God. Just... when I watched that I kind of asked myself if I could, under any circumstance, harm that child anything close to how Eric did, and it was so unfathomable. He was jealous, which was understandable: Derrick was a beautiful child with worlds to conquer... and that made him hate him enough to do that. Boggles the mind but there it is. That's some pretty strong hate for someone he didn't even know... I seriously wonder if that sort of thing just goes away. I just don't think it could, without extraordinary work, and Eric's had no kind of help... he's still the angry kid who hated a four-year-old enough to... to that. The fuck he's sorry. That's fine, but they're getting it right by keeping him there.... just a hunch.

And I got chills when that woman (on the featured story) said, "Eric doesn't like bananas!" Would've been terrified, child or no. And he's where he belongs, I think. Hate to say that but I get a vibe about him that's void of compassion or the capability to feel compassion. Stoic, unrepentant, and crazy as hell. Still. Not sure he had much of a chance at a great life given his genetic makeup, and I hate that for him, I do. I swear I see anger in his eyes when they show him... might be indifference, might be the glare from a lamp... but it looks like hatred to me. And it's chilling.
    Last edited by TaupinJohn; 07-15-2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: apostrophe's gone wild!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Mammy, you're not alone... it's now "those people" -- you said what needed said, and I completely agree.

On the -- not sure which news story show it was featured on, but on the story.... did anyone else feel sorry for Derek's little brother? I mean it just seems... Well did they HAVE to say he was being "fussy" (he was an infant, wtf) and that's why she let her little boy walk that day? Why on earth would she say that, even if it were true? It's TV, he's gonna see it and damn.... doesn't he matter? Pissed me off.

Also: (I'm being "that person" as well, Mammy...) why is it that so many child abductions seem to happen "the first time we ever let him walk alone." Not saying they're big liars or anything, but it happens a lot. Etan Patz was one... a lot more, I know. Just... I mean maybe it was. Or maybe that's how they like to see it, because any other way would make the guilt unbearable. I get it. But man, if you watch these stories, 99.999% of a kid's lone journeys are just fine, it's that first step that ya gotta watch. Just an observation.

And I know it was a show about Derrick, so of course all we saw were family moments concerning him. But the brother... he just... I felt like maybe he's under the shadow of an older brother he can never outdo, never outshine, and never win the adoration from his parents they so obviously had/have for his brother. I felt bad for him... I may be wrong as hell, I know. But that was my take on it. That poor child. Yes, they lost a son, God knows I can't pretend that isn't a living nightmare. But they had another, and it just looked like... they were kinda losing him too. Hope he gets fantastic therapy and works through all that (right...) I doubt he will but I hope he does.

And yeah, what a beautiful child Derrick was, my God. Just... when I watched that I kind of asked myself if I could, under any circumstance, harm that child anything close to how Eric did, and it was so unfathomable. He was jealous, which was understandable: Derrick was a beautiful child with worlds to conquer... and that made him hate him enough to do that. Boggles the mind but there it is. That's some pretty strong hate for someone he didn't even know... I seriously wonder if that sort of thing just goes away. I just don't think it could, without extraordinary work, and Eric's had no kind of help... he's still the angry kid who hated a four-year-old enough to... to that. The fuck he's sorry. That's fine, but they're getting it right by keeping him there.... just a hunch.

And I got chills when that woman (on the featured story) said, "Eric doesn't like bananas!" Would've been terrified, child or no. And he's where he belongs, I think. Hate to say that but I get a vibe about him that's void of compassion or the capability to feel compassion. Stoic, unrepentant, and crazy as hell. Still. Not sure he had much of a chance at a great life given his genetic makeup, and I hate that for him, I do. I swear I see anger in his eyes when they show him... might be indifference, might be the glare from a lamp... but it looks like hatred to me. And it's chilling.
    Yeah, I think he would have to be a pretty hardcore psycho to do the things he did to an innocent little boy. That doesn't seem like something that would be a one time thing just for shits and giggles.

I also think it wasn't necessary for Derrick's mom to make the excuse of his little brother being fussy and that's why she let Derrick walk that day. He was a baby for God's sake, it wasn't deliberate on his part. I always feel especially sorry for children who have had a sibling murdered. It's understandable that the parents are in deep grief and it's hard to concentrate on anything else, but the remaining children usually get pushed to the side. It's hard to compete with a ghost.

I suppose if they can do it once, they can do it again. The look on this kid's face is just blank and it creeps me out, massive psychiatric help needed here and even then I'm not sure it would work.

40. 01-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    Good choice, he should stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    I suppose if they can do it once, they can do it again. The look on this kid's face is just blank and it creeps me out, massive psychiatric help needed here and even then I'm not sure it would work.
    Please combine these two posts. It's against policy to make consecutive comments less than 30 minutes apart.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

42. 10-16-2021, 07:55 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	503A5467-92F4-4FA7-A3E3-18C12B21D8BE.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	55256

All growed-up.
    Wonder how rehabilitated he is.

I don't know mirror, I was hoping he would never get out, let's hope he doesn't kill again.

I was wondering the same thing when I heard, Mirror....
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."