Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wendy Richard

The last pics of her... couragous to the end Bless her heart...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ppearance.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    The last pics of her... couragous to the end Bless her heart...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ppearance.html
    Thanks Anne, I really enjoyed that article. I hope our BBC Canada will eventually show it.

slw Guest
    I was working my way through my Are You Being Served dvd boxset when I heard. RIP Miss Brahms. She was also in Carry on Girls. I just can't abide EastEnders. It was really good when it first started but now it just shows whats bad about Britain. Urghh!

RoRo Guest
    She was wonderful and had went through alot in her life..may she now know peace

Just watched a documentary about her. It was filmed when she started chemo...she was so positive & kept repeating how others were doing worse than her so she shouldnt grumble. It was so sad as she got her results 2 days before christmas stating that she was beating it & that her organs were getting better..... it was after that her husband said she was feeling ill in jan & was taken into hospital. after many tests they rushed him back in saying say your last words...she died 5 mins later.
    It was horrible to watch even tho i knew the results already. Wendy had done this film to give other cancer sufferers encouragement.
    It left me with absolute admiration for the woman. RIP dear wendy... your message was heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    one of the best

Robert Vesco Guest
    It's really sad that I learned about the recent deaths of John Inman and Wendy Richard by logging onto this forum. When is the U.S. press going to catch on to the popularity of Are You Being Served, which continues to run on stations throughout the country?

/Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.
    //RIP Miss Brahms

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Wow, I just found this out here, too!! How very sad.
    I'm sitting here, crying at my desk!

c l p Guest
    wendy was a wonderful actress i love aybs. i watch it everyday. first john inman now wendy richard. rip love

monroe27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Oh man! I loved Are You Being Served!! RIP
    I loved it too! I used to watch it as well as another comedy on pbs that used to come on right before it, but the name of the show escapes me at the moment. RIP to Wendy Richards.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    She was fantastic as Pauline Fowler in Eastenders. She played that part for 20 years. Eastenders isn't the same without her. Miss you Miss Wendy

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    It's really sad that I learned about the recent deaths of John Inman and Wendy Richard by logging onto this forum. When is the U.S. press going to catch on to the popularity of Are You Being Served, which continues to run on stations throughout the country?

/Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.
    //RIP Miss Brahms

Same for me It's my favorite show of all time, I spent three days on youtube watching every episode, then I found Grace & Favour and watched those too. RIP Miss Brahms...

I was watching the Roots? episode of AYBS. In its final years the series recycled plot elements and jokes, but still managed to occasionally come up with original (and still silly) funny ideas. The musical episodes are among the most enjoyable to watch IMO.

Roots? had the characters deciding not to spend any money on a gift for Old Mr. Grace's 90th birthday. He's a mean old millionaire who underpays his staff, so who can blame them? They decide the best gift is one from the heart - or more precisely, from the throat. They decide to sing him a song celebrating his heritage. Rumbold's brother (a genealogist) researches the Grace family tree. Each new discovery results in the characters having to change the type of song they plan to sing .... from Welsh to Scotch to Irish to American minstrel. For the minstrel number, all of the characters are performing in blackface except for Wendy. No idea why Wendy chose not to wear blackface, and I can't find any reference (interviews of her etc.) on the 'net that mentions this. Mrs. Slocombe also sang and wore blackface, so it can't be an issue of gender. Maybe Wendy just refused to wear blackface and they let it go at that.

The Scotch musical scene is probably the best choreographed sketch they ever did. Judging by their expressions they enjoyed themselves performing it. This episode marks the last appearances of: young Mr. Grace (cameo role in the last scene) who died later that year; old Mr. Grace; the blonde nurse played by Vivienne Johnson; and Mr. Klein, who worked with Mr. Humphries and Mr. Spooner. Somehow from this point on the recycling of plots/jokes became the rule instead of the exception.

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere above, but Wendy had a scene (deleted before the release) in A Hard Day's Night. I believe the film footage is lost, all that remains are various photos. She mentioned in a 2007 interview that she met Paul once more, years later, and she was delighted that he remembered her and remembered their working together.

I have considered getting AYBS The Complete Series box set, but the price is outrageous ! If it ever comes down I will, it was one of the best shows ever produced. A classic.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I have "Are You Being Served?" on either Britbox or Acorn on Amazon Prime. I actually like "Grace and Favour" better. I wish that they would have been able to make more episodes.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Vivienne Johnson today. She more or less retired after the series to raise a family with her husband a high profile British lawyer, She has fond memories of working with Harold Bennett and said he was a dear man.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	432full-vivienne-johnson.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	55168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MV5BODJjYTcyMWMtMDllYi00N2YzLWIyYjYtZTRmZmJiNzI3MTIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUyODMyMw@@._V1_.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	55169
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Vivienne Johnson today. She more or less retired after the series to raise a family with her husband a high profile British lawyer, She has fond memories of working with Harold Bennett and said he was a dear man.

I have "Are You Being Served?" on either Britbox or Acorn on Amazon Prime. I actually like "Grace and Favour" better. I wish that they would have been able to make more episodes.

Thanks for the photos of Vivienne, she still looks good when you realize the photo on the right is 40 years old. (The man on the left is "Old Mr. Grace" who appeared in only 8 episodes, all broadcast in 1981).

Before anyone purchases any collection of AYBS, do your research to see if it includes unedited versions of the controversial episodes Roots and Father Christmas Affair. Both involve blackface makeup, but edited versions on TV have removed the blackface scenes.

Now that I think of it, Hand of Fate and Monkey Business both involve Asian stereotypes. Fire Practice involves Muslim stereotypes; the Arab sheikh buys a pair of men's pants for his chief wife, then offers the same wife (a belly dancer) in exchange to pay for the pants! A lot of episodes include at least one mention of Mrs. Slocombe's pussy, I'm sure someone's bound to be offended by that. Erotic Dreams of Mrs. Slocombe deals with sexual harassment in the workforce. Can a TV series that ended 35 years ago be added to the Cancel Culture list ?

I enjoyed Grace and Favour but thought the scripts were weak. It would've been great if they'd gotten Trevor Bannister or Mike Berry to do a cameo role just as a joke, even if they didn't reprise their AYBS characters. It was depressing to realize Miss Brahms ended up an old maid (with both parents dead?). There was no mention of Mrs. Slocombe's drinking pal Mrs. Axelby, and Rumbold and Peacock were both apparently widowers. Was any mention made of Mama Humphries?

I couldn't bring myself to watch the 2016 one-off remake. Just the publicity photo of the new cast made me depressed, to realize they're all dead now from the original cast. I did find the casting of an Anglo-African in the Mr. Lucas role to be interesting.

Besides Vivienne, as of this writing Mike Berry (Mr. Spooner) is alive. Not sure about Penny Irving (Miss Bakewell the secretary), Candy Davis (Miss Belfridge the secretary), Doremy Vernon (the canteen manageress). There may be others alive who appeared once in the series (Joanna Lumley appeared in two episodes), I'm just considering those who appeared on a regular basis or in several episodes as the same character.

Here is an interview with Penny Irving from 2019, and a recent photo of her. https://www.retroboy.co.uk/interview...ny-Irving-2019