Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Richard

TrueBlueAngel Guest

Wendy Richard

Its just been announced that Wendy Richard (Pauline from Eastenders) has died following her fight with breast cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7912668.stm

RIP Wendy.

Guest Guest
    Aww sad news, I knew she was on her way out. The soap world will miss her. R.I.P Wendy.

discod Guest
    wow u was quick lol,very sad

Screwtape Guest
    Miss Brahms is free, Captain Peacock.

Snudgie Guest
    Wow...I wasn't expecting it so soon....RIP Wendy......you were a great one!

LadyDay Guest
    I'll never forget her hitting Arfur with the frying pan after he cheated on her - one of EastEnders' finest comedy moments.

I knew it was only a matter of time. It's sad none the less. RIP, Wendy Richards

I loved her character in AYBS.
    RIP Wendy

Was never really a fan of Easteders - but have seen many episodes nevertheless... Sad to hear that she lost the battle with cancer and far too early.. I am sure she will be very much missed. RIP Wendy

Wiki is pretty quick.. they already have her death mentioned...found this tribute site and some pics.. she was very pretty in her youth and aged very gracefully...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendyrichards.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	12843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendyrichards2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	12844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendyrichards3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	12845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendyrichards4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	12846  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Are you being served remains one of my most favourite tv-shows ever. R.i.p. Wendy
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Wendy was so funny in Are you being served and she was cool as Pauline in Eastenders. I knew she was dying, she told people sometime last year. She will be missed. R.I.P Wendy

Valerie Guest
    Aw! I didn't know she was ill. AYBS is so classic. Loved her.

RIP sweetie.

Dollyplum Guest
    Heard the news break whilst driving. I honestly didn't know she was fighting cancer?

Rip wendy

letty1970 Guest
    It is really sad. She did release the news that the cancer had returned last year. She had battled it twice before. She married her long term partner also last year.

trose Guest
    I loved her in AYBS - may she RIP.

Aww just watched a tribute to her on BBC1, RIP Wendy

Sad news, on the Eastenders I think Pauline and Arthur Fowler
    played a great married couple.
    Also remember her from when she was on Are you being served.

rickenbacker Guest
    Dammit, dammit, dammit.

What a gorgeous woman, even in her 60s.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Such an awesome actress...she has made me smile for many many years...from AYBS to EastEnders....
    May she rest in peace now....

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Such an awesome actress...she has made me smile for many many years...from AYBS to EastEnders....
    May she rest in peace now....
    So sad! I never watched "EastEnders" but I've seen AYBS episodes countless times and loved her as Miss Brahms.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    So sad! I never watched "EastEnders" but I've seen AYBS episodes countless times and loved her as Miss Brahms.

Same here. Our local PBS station, the first in the States to carry Monty Python, never showed Eastenders but they still show AYBS. She was lovely. RIP.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I am a huge Eastenders fan. Watched since day one. I loved Wendy, she was Pauline Fowler. She was also great in AYBS. She had a very small role in Help, the Beatles 1965 film, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. You can see it now on the newest Help DVD.
    She was a fabulous woman and will be greatly missed. God's Speed Wendy.

cachluv Guest
    My favorite phrase of hers on EE was "I'll tell you that for nothing".

She was the ultimate Prune SuperMom on EE. She was a phenomenal lady. I cried like a child when Pauline died on Arthur's bench. Sad day. Like today.

R.I.P.

cachluv Guest

Tributes have continued to pour in for actress Wendy Richard, who died from cancer this morning.
    Mollie Sugden, who starred alongside the 65-year-old in Are You Being Served?, said that Richard would "live on in the hearts of so many people".
    "How can I express my grief on hearing of the loss of Wendy? She has been part of my life for so long, almost like one of the family. Many happy memories," Sugden said.
    "She was the daughter I never had and I shall never stop missing her. She lives on in the hearts of so many people who were entertained by her talent and warmed by her charm. It is a sad day and may God bless her."
    Scriptwriter Jeremy Lloyd added: "Wendy was not only a great friend but brought her extraordinary personality to Are You Being Served?, making her a star member of the cast. I shall miss her very much."
    Richard announced in October that she was suffering from an aggressive, terminal form of cancer and has since worked with Macmillan Cancer Support. The charity's chief executive Ciaran Devane said: "Macmillan is very grateful for the support Wendy gave to us and to other cancer patients."
    Longtime friend Dale Winton said that she would be missed, adding: "I'm very saddened to hear the news, she was a real fighter and actually a very kind and funny lady in her own right."
    Sir Terry Wogan predicted that Richard will be remembered as one of the greats of British TV. "In the 1960s and '70s, she was the queen of the sitcom and I'm sorry to hear she's gone," he said.

Some of Wendy Richard's former EastEnders co-stars have paid tribute to the actress, who died this morning.
    Earlier today, it was announced that the 65-year-old had lost her battle with cancer.
    Adam Woodyatt, who plays her screen nephew Ian Beale, said: "I am so sorry to hear the very sad news about Wendy's death. I have many fond memories of our time together at EastEnders and will remember her with affection.
    "Knowing that she is no longer in pain and suffering is the only comfort and I hope she rests in peace. My deepest sympathies are with John, their family and friends."
    Meanwhile, John Altman - Nick Cotton in the Walford drama - said: "I am shocked and saddened to hear the news today. I always enjoyed working with Wendy, even though our characters were poles apart. I will always treasure the memories of a trip we shared together around the Mediterranean on the QE2 with her husband John and my mother Tina. The world of show business will certainly be a sadder place without her."
    Pam St Clement, Albert Square's Pat Evans, said: "I was very saddened to hear of the death of Wendy, who was a friend and colleague for many years. My thoughts are with John."
    Barbara Windsor - Queen Vic landlady Peggy Mitchell - said: "Wendy was always a tough lady and I thought she would win this battle. It's very sad and my thoughts are with John."
    Bill Treacher, who played Richard's screen husband Arthur Fowler for just over a decade, said: "Wendy and I worked together for 11 years and in all that time never quarrelled. We were both totally professional and I am truly saddened to hear this news."
    John Yorke, head of drama production at the BBC, said of the news: "It is impossible to overstate Wendy's contribution to EastEnders. For 22 years, whether she was bemoaning Arthur's bad luck, cursing her children's wayward nature or reminding us all once again that it was 'all about family', it was impossible for anyone to mention EastEnders without the iconic image of Pauline coming to mind.
    "It is hard now to imagine the bravery of casting Wendy as Pauline, so successful and utterly identifiable in the role did she become. She was one of the foundation stones of the show, and with her death EastEnders is diminished. She will be much missed by all of us."
    BBC Vision director Jana Bennett commented: "Wendy Richard's death is a huge loss and our thoughts are with her family and loved ones at this very sad time."
    She added: "She started in EastEnders in the very first episode back in February 1985, and became an vital part of life in Albert Square right up until her departure in 2006. Wendy made an enormous contribution to British drama â?? she was hugely respected and will be much missed."
    BBC Director-General Mark Thompson said: "I am enormously saddened by the news of Wendy's death. Her countless BBC appearances across decades, especially as Miss Brahms in Are You Being Served and then as Pauline Fowler in EastEnders, lit up living rooms for millions of British families who regarded her as a member of the family. That was an enormous achievement.
    "Millions of viewers and listeners across the world will mourn her passing today and and she will be hugely missed."
    Tonight's episode of EastEnders will be dedicated to Richard. It will be followed at 8pm by Wendy Richard: A Tribute.

RIP

Paige B Guest
    So sad to hear the news about Wendy Richard! I'm a HUGE EE fan. And I'm with Cach, I cried when "Pauline Fowler" died on Arthur's bench. Sometimes you have to remind yourself its just a damn soap opera!! LOL

Carrie Guest
    Wow, this one really bums me out. RIP Wendy

AlexK Guest
    Very sad how quickly the cancer took her. RIP

beatlebaby4 Guest
    cach, thanks for posting that lovely tribute. I'm so sad about her passing. RIP Wendy.

orionova Guest
    Come outside
    Come outside
    There's a lovely moon out there...

RIP, Wendy.

I actually met Wendy once. When I lived in London, I was an extra while studying at LAMDA, and worked on EE once. Wendy was a lovely woman, and I told her how much my dad loved her as Miss Brahms and that he wished they got EE so he could see her in it. She didn't look down on us extras like some do. She is missed.

Rainwolf Guest
    Loved her on Are You Being Served? Now I'll have to go buy East Enders just because.
    R.I.P.

WendyK Guest
    Gosh...I feel like this a thread to me...

John Connor Guest
    She had that Dollybird thing going on. RIP.

Loved Eastenders. I remember they made a big deal when the Queen Mum died, that it was the first time in the soap's history that they would address a current event as it was happening. The day of her funeral, Wendy and Dot were sitting in the laundrette listening to the funeral on the radio, "End of an era." "mm."
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Dollyplum Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyaeQe8DJVw

Classic Battle Axe, reminds me of my Mother.

violet Guest
    So sad, at least she's not suffering any more....end of an era!

Valerie Guest
    John Inman left all his dame memorabilia to Wendy when he died. Wonder who will have it now? That would make an awesome exhibit.

Littleroben Guest
    It's sad news, I think she'll have a special place in peoples memories for years to come.

Oh man! I loved Are You Being Served!! RIP

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Been reading the tributes on the EE site and BBC. Wonderfully done. Some pics and some video. Worth a look. A couple of articles too and very nice tributes from co workers and people who knew her. Very sad indeed

lynn wilson Guest
    how sad....to have to fight it 3 times...i hope she is having a lovely coffe break with Mr. Humphries

Giada Guest
    Loved her in Are You Being Served ... Sorry news

1karenhb Guest
    Never watched Eastenders but loved AYBS. Good Night Miss Brahms.

KarmaKat Guest
    RIP Wendy.
    She was amazing in AYBS. She had a real flare with comic timing. And to stand out being with so many large characters was really impressive.
    A sad loss

I♥TinyTim Guest

Wendy Richard, British Actress Most famous for show, "Are You Being Served?"

http://www.times.com/aponline/2009/0...t-Richard.html

Man.

Thanks to burgtwngirl for mentioning celebrity death beeper, or I never would have known...

kimba Guest
    Oh no- they're all gone now, aren't they?
    EDIT: oh- man- I just saw that Mollie Sugden and a couple of others are still alive..
    Mollie Sugden- how old is she anyway?
    To do research for a Dorset accent, I just downloaded a bunch of the old Grace and Favour shows- also known as Are You Being Served Again.
    It was really nice to see the old cast together again, and I loved Wendy Richard's character.

RIP Miss Brahms!
    Last edited by kimba; 03-01-2009 at 02:37 AM.

simon69 Guest
    When I heard of her passing it really touched me, I never seen her in Eastenders only AYBS. My cousin and his life partner introduced me to this show on the local PBS station years ago. Wendy gave such a bright spark to that sitcom as did John Inman, now all that is left are just fond memories of them both? Gods speed to her and I hope John was "FREE" to greet her at the pearly gates. RIP.

She was so funny and lovely on AYBS...We are gonna miss her!!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Can't believe she's gone

I thought she'd always be the beautiful sharp-tongued young shopgirl she was in AYBS. I couldn't believe she was 65, let alone that she's gone.

Lovely that so many people remember her so fondly.