Thread: Woody Guthrie

RoRo Guest

Woody Guthrie

Singer, Social Reformer. Best-known songs include ??The Land Is Your Land,? ??Pastures of Plenty,? ??1913 Massacre,? ??Union Maid,? and ??So Long, It??s Been Good To Know You.? Guthrie grew up in Okemah, an Oklahoma oil-boom town. His experiences there gave him a keen insight into human nature and provided observations that would find their way into his songs. But so would family tragedies: the death of his sister Clara in a fire, his mother??s mental deterioration and eventual institutionalization, financial ruin in the wake of the inevitable oil-boom bust. Guthrie left Oklahoma for Texas, where he first started getting musical gigs with the Corn Cob Trio. He also married and had three children. But hard times followed Guthrie in Texas, and when the Great Dust Storm hit in 1935, he left wife and family and headed to California with the other Dust Bowl refugees, spending two years hitchhiking and riding the rails with other hobos. The prejudice he encountered against him and his fellow unfortunates solidified the themes in his songwriting in songs like ??I Ain't Got No Home,? ??Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad,? ??Talking Dust Bowl Blues,? ??Tom Joad,? ??Plane Wreck at Los Gatos,? and ??Hard Travelin'.? A two-year radio stint on KFVD, Los Angeles, and XELO (just over the border in Mexico), honed his folksy, poetic, Will Rogers-ish, but still passionate and biting style of social commentary. He married Marjorie Mazia, a dancer with the Martha Graham company, in 1945 (four children: Cathy [died young], Arlo, Joady, and Nora) and settled in Coney Island. His health slowly began to deteriorate, with wild mood swings, unpredictable behavior, and gradual loss of motor control, with diagnoses ranging from alcoholism to schizophrenia. Later it was correctly diagnosed as Huntington??s Disease (now called Huntington??s Chorea) a degenerative nerve disorder that he had inherited from his mother. Guthrie was in and out of hospitals for the last thirteen years of his life. His legacy lives through his son Arlo but also other singer-songwriters like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen.

wraith Guest

Woody Guthrie

Woody Guthrie's music definitely touches a careful listener. He had a rootsy, everyman sensibility with both music and lyrics. He's certainly one of the artists who define the Depression (and beyond) for me.

If the U. S. national anthem were ever to be changed, Woody Guthrie's This Land Is Your Land would top my list as the most appropriate (and singable) choice.

His work is a wonderful gift to America.

The local radio station today is playing "Alice's Restaurant " (in its entirity) by Arlo Guthrie today. Woody did some great song in his day. What a great singer/songwriter, inspiring a multitude.

Last edited by nytkrew; 11-22-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

magblax Guest
    Bob Dylan pretty much ripped off Woodie Gutherie's style.

woody carried on writing songs even after he was too sick to hold a pencil. in 1995, woody's daughter nora approached billy bragg, asking him to put music to these songs. there was over a thousand.
    billy joined up with wilco and has done at least a couple of these albums. he calls them 'a collaboration between woody guthrie and a new generation of songwriters.'
    l HIGHLY recommend the 'mermaid avenue' albums to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l HIGHLY recommend the 'mermaid avenue' albums to you guys.
    I will check it out, thanks!
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Guest Guest

Noreen Guest
    He was truly great and inspired so very many.

I do own both the CD's of Billy Bragg and Wilco's Woody tunes. Has been constant
    favorites of mine.