Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Harold Perelson Murder/Suicide

LemonPopsicle Guest
    Oh no! I wanted to know what the presents were! Do you think the new occupants opened them? I'm obsessed with that house. I want to go visit it.
    Anyone up for dressing like adult Girl Scouts and selling the new owners some cookies?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    I have been told that when one is making like a Ninja, black is not the best color to wear, because it's TOO dark. Recommended colors are dark gray and dark blue (so I've been told)

Ok going with dark grey...I still fit in my old police uniform lol nawww I would go to jal lol

NOVSTORM Guest
    I did a few double checks on the house and it is not occupied. They are puting a roof on it I heard becasue the city said it was going ot condem it if they didnt..maybe that is why they had the lights and garbage cans ready lol..After sitting all those years they are going to have to rewire that house and reroof it and many other things before it can be inhabited. Since the city has already issued a warning about the roof you can bet that no one will move into that house until it is insepcted by the city and fire marshals ...need to go in daytime.I wish I could go this next weekend darn it!

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I did a few double checks on the house and it is not occupied. They are puting a roof on it I heard becasue the city said it was going ot condem it if they didnt..maybe that is why they had the lights and garbage cans ready lol..After sitting all those years they are going to have to rewire that house and reroof it and many other things before it can be inhabited. Since the city has already issued a warning about the roof you can bet that no one will move into that house until it is insepcted by the city and fire marshals ...need to go in daytime.I wish I could go this next weekend darn it!
    This makes a bit more sense... it just didn't seem like enough time had passed for all the necessary repairs and upgrades to make it habitable.

Aha! Ok. Thanks for the update Nov. That all makes sense.

Eerie Frightenstein Guest
    So not only does someone own it, pay taxes on it, and NOT live in it, they spend money out of pocket to repair a roof for house they wont sell or live in? Roof repairs are not cheap either. I don't get it....

Lily_Aleister Guest
    Took these this morning. The no trespassing sign is taunting me, I really want to crawl the property at night. I've never been arrested though and I don't know if I should start now.
    Last edited by Lily_Aleister; 06-08-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Lily_Aleister Guest

Nicki Guest
    Lily if I lived close to your area I would most definitely be right there with you for the adventure of checking out that place!

Lily_Aleister Guest
    There's a house DIRECTLY across the street which is obviously occupied, and I have a feeling they get annoyed by lookie-loos. So, I would have to park down the street and hike the hill. (Hope they don't read this!)

RogerV Guest
    Thanks for taking the pics, Lily! It's such a beautiful house that shouldn't be left to just rot.

GAdeathhag Guest
    You da bomb girl

pvezz Guest
    Awesome photos, Lily! Thanks for sharing them!

Lily_Aleister Guest
    You're welcome. I'm hoping to go back at night soon and climb the stairs.

Lisamarie Guest
    hanks Lily awesome !!!! Thanks !!! xoxoxoxox I would just walk in ...then again Im both stupid and careless ! Lol!!!

pattykad Guest
    Yes you must go! People have done allot worse things! We
    will stand with you!

pattykad Guest
    Can you get something that looks like a uniform to wear and take
    a clipboard and pretend you are taking notes, like a city worker?

I bet the security sign is a fake...I bet they don't pay for a
    security service for it.

Remember the good old days when you could just go up to an abandoned house and look in the windows? sigh

Old Soul Guest
    LOL!!! Love these pictures!! Thank you for saving me a big round trip!

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I almost parked and got out but I could see the neighbor in the window across the street watching me. I want to wait until the sun is about to go down. I'm waiting for my friend to go with me in a few days, I'm too chicken to go alone since I'm just a tiny girl! Coyotes and snakes worry me more than people (unless they're coppers!)

You Rock!!! We should take a collection to bail Lily out of jail.....just make sure you download and post the pics before they confiscate them!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Lily_Aleister Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    You Rock!!! We should take a collection to bail Lily out of jail.....just make sure you download and post the pics before they confiscate them!
    LOL! Seriously.. I'm heading back up sometime this week (at night). Wish me luck!

trose Guest
    Thanks for posting the pics, Lily - and good luck with the next adventure!

Lily_Aleister Guest
    One more pic I forgot to post... I think the neighbors use this garage as their driveway.

Duke Six Guest
    Lily, YOU ROCK.... Thank you, Thank You, Thank You... Keep up the GREAT WORK with the pics and posts......

Duke Six Guest
    Roger, I think you have brought a thread which brings all on this site to a common interest and I thank you again. This is Great Stuff......

GOOD LUCK LILY!!!!!!! Call if you need a good defense lawyer
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

pattykad Guest
    If someone already posted this I apoligize profusely in advance. But I
    don't have time to reread all this and I don't recall seeing it. A friend
    sent it to me:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

sunshine2828 Guest
    Great pics Lily! I love the mailbox photo!

NOVSTORM Guest
    I think there is a lot more to this story tht we will never find out. Somewhere along the line the new owners is related or was ninvolved some with these dead people and I wonder if it isnt one of those kids ????? There had to be insurance and the kids probably got it and I bet a family member got that house after the murders, and kept it in the family . I wonder if we could find out nsomehow if it isnt one of the remaining kids that have that house or their kid???? Has to be a reason for them to be keeping this house.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    One more pic I forgot to post... I think the neighbors use this garage as their driveway.

Cool! I wonder if there's an underground passage from the garage to the house!

RogerV Guest
    I think there is a lot more to this story tht we will never find out. Somewhere along the line the new owners is related or was ninvolved some with these dead people and I wonder if it isnt one of those kids ????? There had to be insurance and the kids probably got it and I bet a family member got that house after the murders, and kept it in the family . I wonder if we could find out nsomehow if it isnt one of the remaining kids that have that house or their kid???? Has to be a reason for them to be keeping this house.
    I THINK someone located the property records, and the house was sold by the estate a year or two after the doctor and his wife died. Indicators are that they were in deep financial trouble, and it's entirely possible that the children ended up with squat once all the dust had settled.

The children were taken by relatives to live on the East Coast, and the trail kind of goes cold there. A reporter located what he believed was the phone number of one of the boys, but it was never answered. I THINK that was in New York State, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Last edited by RogerV; 06-09-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Lily_Aleister Guest
    I live only about 3 miles from the house so I'll be going back VERY soon when it's a bit darker. I HAVE to go up to the front door and windows. There's no turning back now!

ksol Guest
    Lily, U r my hero!!!!!!!!!!

What was Lillian Perelson's maiden name? I'd imagine the children were taken by her relatives rather than their murdering Daddy's, and raised under the maiden name, or that of one of their Mother's in-laws.

As to whether they took back the father's surname eventually, it's possible, I guess. Sometimes survivors rationalize that if they were not killed at that time, it all had nothing to do with them, and may even defend the murderer if s/he was a close relative.. Dr. P. did appear to spare his younger children at first, but perhaps he simply thought it would be easier to wait until they were safely asleep to finish the job (small chance of that, as it turned out.). When the oldest daughter somehow escaped and alerted the neighbors, he surely knew he wouldn't have a chance to kill everyone, and killed himself right away.

The younger children, who were already pre- and early teens, would have known, or soon learned that their oldest sister was sharing the family's dirty laundry with others, and probably talking and arguing with her parents about it as well, especially the night of the tragedy. They may have directed any anger and resentment at HER, holding her responsible for setting off the chain of events that deprived them of their parents. If they're all still alive, I wonder if the younger siblings communicate with their eldest sister.

As for poor Judye, she must have been in the hospital for months, and then, maybe followed by years of therapy. Hard to believe she disappeared so thoroughly, unless she died within a few years of the incident.
    Last edited by Linnie; 06-09-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Lisamarie Guest
    Its weird isint it to think something so awful happend in that house and it sits up there quiet and peacful .....just makes you think dosent it ...

Rhonda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily_Aleister View Post
    I almost parked and got out but I could see the neighbor in the window across the street watching me. I want to wait until the sun is about to go down. I'm waiting for my friend to go with me in a few days, I'm too chicken to go alone since I'm just a tiny girl! Coyotes and snakes worry me more than people (unless they're coppers!)
    We would not want you to get thrown in the hoosegow on our account. On the flip side, I'll bet there would be some good Death Hag stories you could email us to us from the inside.

LemonPopsicle Guest
    Lily you're my hero! If I lived out there with you, I'd be right there with you.

Thanks soooo much for the cool photos!!!! I'm kicking myself...HARD, that I didn't take the time to go there when I was in LA in April...oh, well...I keep telling myself, next time...!!!!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

trose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    If someone already posted this I apoligize profusely in advance. But I
    don't have time to reread all this and I don't recall seeing it. A friend
    sent it to me:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
    I don't recall seeing that before.

Wonder if the owner's a Death Hag? Sure sounded like one to me.

Tami

Lisamarie Guest
    I winder why he did it...I mean beating your family with a hammer is pretty up close and personal ......Im obsessed with this one as well....I soo wish we could get inside..wouldent it be cool to do luiminal on the murder rooms???

burgtwngrl Guest
    Lily Please be careful. We all have your back but I don't want to see you get a record because of Death Haggery... Leave the Creepy Crawls to the Pro. Scott Michaels.

I think Lily already went above and beyond the call of Death Hag duty (if there is such a thing)!
    This isn't some abandoned shack in the back woods somewhere, and even those sometimes have police patrolling the neighborhood if the neighbors complain. I don't know what just the fine for trespassing is in the LA area, but it's surely higher than, say, a small town in New Jersey (where youths are regularly busted for emulating the exploits of WEIRD NJ magazine.).
    Not to mention getting an arrest record!!!

Thanks for the photos in any case, Lily, they are beautiful, and close enough to IMAGINE more about the house.
    Last edited by Linnie; 06-10-2009 at 08:46 AM.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    What was Lillian Perelson's maiden name? I'd imagine the children were taken by her relatives rather than their murdering Daddy's, and raised under the maiden name, or that of one of their Mother's in-laws.

As to whether they took back the father's surname eventually, it's possible, I guess. Sometimes survivors rationalize that if they were not killed at that time, it all had nothing to do with them, and may even defend the murderer if s/he was a close relative.. Dr. P. did appear to spare his younger children at first, but perhaps he simply thought it would be easier to wait until they were safely asleep to finish the job (small chance of that, as it turned out.). When the oldest daughter somehow escaped and alerted the neighbors, he surely knew he wouldn't have a chance to kill everyone, and killed himself right away.

The younger children, who were already pre- and early teens, would have known, or soon learned that their oldest sister was sharing the family's dirty laundry with others, and probably talking and arguing with her parents about it as well, especially the night of the tragedy. They may have directed any anger and resentment at HER, holding her responsible for setting off the chain of events that deprived them of their parents. If they're all still alive, I wonder if the younger siblings communicate with their eldest sister.

As for poor Judye, she must have been in the hospital for months, and then, maybe followed by years of therapy. Hard to believe she disappeared so thoroughly, unless she died within a few years of the incident.
    We don't know Lillian's maiden name. I went back to look at what we THINK is the marriage announcement, but no last name for her is given.

Someone would probably have to go to the trouble and expense of getting a copy of her death certificate to find that out. I don't know what format California uses, but some death certificates give the names of parents. The other problem is that sometimes these records are restricted to family or someone who can demonstrate a genuine need for them.

In a lot of cases like this, the wife's family takes over burial arrangements for her and wants her as far away from him as possible. That apparently wasn't the case this time, as the Perelsons' graves have been found, and they are side by side.

As far as taking pictures goes, as long as you're standing on the street or the sidewalk, and are not creating a disturbance, it's legal. It's when you step onto private property that the trouble starts.
    Last edited by RogerV; 06-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.

RogerV Guest
    Cool! I wonder if there's an underground passage from the garage to the house!
    I think I answered my own question when I went back and looked at some of the satellite shots of the property, and a tunnel would have to be VERY long. Most of the lot is in fact in front of the house, rather than behind it.

Interestingly, the house actually has two garages; the one that is accessed directly from the street, and another one behind the house, reached by a very long driveway.

It's too bad we didn't know the property was being re-roofed. While that was going on would have been the perfect time to wander onto the property. I don't think anyone could have gotten inside, but it would have been a good chance to get close to it, and see what it looks like from behind.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Well I found Harold's 1930 census info. He lived with his parents, Henry & molly Perelson at 8530 Pitkin Ave, Queens Borough, NY.
    He had siblings- Arthur Perelson b. 1911, George b. 1914 and Estha b. 1917
    Father was a Polish Immigrant, Mother was Russina immigrant. Both listed as Jewish. Father's occupation was listed as a shipping clerk at a paint factory. Mother had no occupation listed.
    I'm wondering which relatives took the kids, if it was Harold's or Lillian's? Still looking for Lillian's info if its out there.
    Last edited by BigBootyJudy; 06-10-2009 at 11:00 AM.

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    Well I found Harold's 1930 census info. He lived with his parents, Henry & molly Perelson at 8530 Pitkin Ave, Queens Borough, NY.
    He had siblings- Arthur Perelson b. 1911, George b. b. 1940 and Estha b. 1917
    Father was a Polish Immigrant, Mother was Russina immigrant. Both listed as Jewish. Father's occupation was listed as a shipping clerk at a paint factory. Mother had no occupation listed.
    I'm wondering which relatives took the kids, if it was Harold's or Lillian's? Still looking for Lillian's info if its out there.

Nice work, Judy! It's beginning to look like an example of the American Dream that went terribly wrong. BTW, are you SURE about the birth date for George as 1940?

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Nice work, Judy! It's beginning to look like an example of the American Dream that went terribly wrong. BTW, are you SURE about the birth date for George as 1940?
    LOL Oops, I fixed it. Still working on Lillians family. Anyone else come up with anything?

RogerV Guest
    Well, I found a very brief mention of a George Perelson as a salesman for the Sinclair Paint Company in Los Angeles in the 1940's. Definitely Jewish. George's father worked for a paint company... coincidence? I'm guessing not.

If it could only be found, I think there's enough information to write a book about this family...

WOW this has got really exciting, I wonder if the neighbours still have keys??? I bet they have a good look around! Who could resist, not me!

Lily, you could always make friends with the neighbours?

imadeathhag Guest
    The ghoshunter in me says: In this pic in one of the tall windows there's something strange there. It may be glare but it almost looks like an apparition. It's probably my imagination. I took a couple of benadryl earlier LOL.

Last edited by imadeathhag; 06-10-2009 at 09:36 PM.