Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney

RoRo Guest

Walt Disney

Most remembered for creating Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and a host of other cartoon characters. He has won 32 Oscars, more than any other person, for his extraordinarMost remembered for creating Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and a host of other cartoon characters. He has won 32 Oscars, more than any other person, for his extraordinary achievements in films. y achievements in films. In 1950, he produced his first live-action film, "Treasure Island," and in 1955, he opened his first theme park, Disneyland. Prior to his death in 1966 in Los Angeles, California, of lung cancer, he began work on his latest theme park in Orlando, Florida: Walt Disney's World. His brother, Roy, the business genius behind the scenes, continued to run the company, and 40 years after Walt's death, the Disney empire is still financially strong and keeping to Walt's legacy.

Gotta love the man who gave us "The Mouse"

Walter Elias Disney

Birth: 5 Dec 1901
    Death: 15 Dec 1966

Walt Disney's dream of a clean, and organized amusement park, came true, as Disneyland Park opened in 1955. Walt also became a television pioneer, Disney began television production in 1954, and was among the first to present full-color programming with his Wonderful World of Color in 1961.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Disney's death spawned two rumors that have become urban legends. The first is that he had his body cryogenically frozen. The second held that he was buried somewhere on the grounds of Disneyland. Both rumors have been found to be untrue. Actually, he was cremated and his ashes are now interred at Forest Lawn Cemetary in Los Angeles, California.

Interred at Forest Lawn, Glendale, California, USA. Facing the Freedom Mausoleum, to your left hand side are two small private gardens. His is the one farthest back. Plaque is on the wall behind the trees (to your left standing at the gate).
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 09:00 PM.

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]Walt Disney was one of my childhood idols. I adored him. I never missed the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. He died just three days before my birthday. I remember that my mother told me on the phone that afternoon after school and I broke down in tears. [/SIZE]

poppie Guest
    Stage hands tell stories that Walt Disney was known to fire anyone at anytime if there was any profanity on the sets. The Mouseketeers heard no blue language and that was strictly enforced by Disney.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Stage hands tell stories that Walt Disney was known to fire anyone at anytime if there was any profanity on the sets. The Mouseketeers heard no blue language and that was strictly enforced by Disney.
    While that is true, Walt should have fired himself LOL

Years ago in a book I read about Disney, he himself enjoyed having that stiff drink and at times enjoyed using some blue language himself.

Also male employees at Disneyland were not allowed to have mustaches.
    Did Walt have one?

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Walt was rumored to be a homosexual.

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine of Siena View Post
    [SIZE=3]Well, that's a new one on me. He's been dead nearly 41 years and rumored to have been and done pretty much everything by now. There were books attempting to give you the "real story" on him as far back as the 70's as I recall. [/SIZE]

JHONWAYNE Guest
    I currently work at Walt Disney World. I've been here 18 years and I have seen so many changes. Not all good. I would've loved to have worked here with Mr. Disney at the helm. I wonder just how "corporate" would've Walt ended up like if he were here today? I don't want to imagine him expanding so much like they are nowadays that they are losing the feel and spirit of what Walt wanted. Too hunger for the benjamins.

supposedly he tripped with huxley. would'nt it been fun if he had gone off with kesey instead/too?
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 11-06-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: relax and float down stream,it is not dying

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    I had dinner at Club 33 earlier this year. We were in the main trophy room that Walt used to entertain and hold meetings in. Our waitress had worked there for many years and told me stories about all the different famous people she had waited on including all the living presidents at one table, our table. Another thing I thought was very interesting was that in the main trophy room there is many great photographs of Walt around the park. Since Walt was a heavy smoker, apparently they air brushed cigarettes out of his hand in most of the pictures. I looked closely at the pictures in this room and you could kind of tell that there was something missing.

Last edited by D3LIVIĆ?N; 07-14-2008 at 01:57 PM.

donetodeath Guest
    did you know he gave his mother a gas heater,and well it was faulty and she died from poisonous leakage from the heater.He lived with the guilt of that for the rest of his life!

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Walt Disney has given me the best holidays to WDW and Florida (lovvvvvvvvvveeee the people there). I would've loved to have known where he got his imagination from. That's some magic he created.

lulu Guest
    I love everything Disney!
    I recently read some not so nice things about the man, and I've chosen to not believe it.

lulu Guest
    I also heard they turned Club 33 into a room for "the year of a million dreams." Some lucky SOB is going to be able to spend the night there.

poppie Guest
    jhonwayne - You speak of the many changes at Disney. His production company now makes pictures starring Bette Midler and Whoopie Goldberg. I can just image ole Walt twirling in his grave over those two choices to be in his movies. IMO, their names would have never even been spoken in Walt's presence.

This is not a complaint about Whoopie or Bette, I love their work.

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]Well, he was born in 1901 and would be 106 this coming December 5th. He was obviously a forward thinking kind of guy...maybe he would realize that time marches on.[/SIZE]

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JHONWAYNE View Post
    I currently work at Walt Disney World. I've been here 18 years and I have seen so many changes. Not all good. I would've loved to have worked here with Mr. Disney at the helm. I wonder just how "corporate" would've Walt ended up like if he were here today? I don't want to imagine him expanding so much like they are nowadays that they are losing the feel and spirit of what Walt wanted. Too hunger for the benjamins.
    I worked at Disneyland for 8 years until March of this year when I quit. I totally agree with you. It has definately changed and not for the better. I have talked with several cast members worked there when Walt was still alive and all had nothing but positive things to say about him.

Amaya-chan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine of Siena View Post
    My friend told me that he was bisexual, and that's why they have the Gay Day events there. Learn something new everyday, lol.

TNpuck Guest
    I had never seen a Disney movie until my daughter was born. I'm just not into them. When I was a kid my mother would take me to a horror movie and my dad would take my sister to a Disney movie.

You tell me who had the better childhood!

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaya-chan View Post
    My friend told me that he was bisexual, and that's why they have the Gay Day events there. Learn something new everyday, lol.
    Walt was not bi-sexual. I worked at Disneyland for 8 years. They have gay days because it's a very popular place for gays to gather. Also a lot of gays work there. The park does not sponsor these days. When Walt was alive he never would have allowed Gay Days. The park also has a Goth day every year which again the park does not sponsor. This does not mean Walt was a goth!! Your friend doesn't know what they are talking about!!!

Rev.josh Guest
    He is one of the few people in this world I would have loved to sit down and pick their brain.

Is his house open for tours, a'la Elvis and others?

Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    supposedly he tripped with huxley. would'nt it been fun if he had gone off with kesey instead/too?
    Love to see the cartoons he doodled when tripping!!!! Maybe Mickey had an evil twin hehehehe
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I read some where once that he was a huge anti-semite.

Sad, if true.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Walt was not bi-sexual. I worked at Disneyland for 8 years. They have gay days because it's a very popular place for gays to gather. Also a lot of gays work there. The park does not sponsor these days. When Walt was alive he never would have allowed Gay Days. The park also has a Goth day every year which again the park does not sponsor. This does not mean Walt was a goth!! Your friend doesn't know what they are talking about!!!
    Actually most if not all major theme parks have their own Gay Days even though like Disney, the park themselves do not officialy sponsor them.

I have been told over the years that next to Disney World, the park with the biggest "Gay Day" on the east coast in terms of attendance is Pittsburgh's Kennywood. Somewhat surprised it wasn't Ohio's Cedar Point since that park is a lot bigger than Kennywood.

True, if Walt was alive I doubt he would have allowed Gay days either, but OTOH, how would he stop it from happening?
    I would imagine that would be very tough to do.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 11-11-2007 at 09:57 PM.

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    True, if Walt was alive I doubt he would have allowed Gay days either, but OTOH, how would he stop it from happening?
    [SIZE=3]Especially if you're over 100 years of age. [/SIZE]

Bidmor Guest
    Another innovation of Disney was the first television program broadcast with stereo sound...kind of.

Story goes that in the late 50's or early 60's the Disney played around with it as a gimmick for ratings. Anyway, eventually they picked a "special" Disney show to do it and how they did it was quite creative.

The program was broadcast the usual way but with one radio station in each major city simulcasting audio for the second channel. So the viewer would place the radio a few feet away from the TV and tune into the station broadcasting the second audio channel. Out of the box thinking.

Actually most if not all major theme parks have their own Gay Days even though like Disney, the park themselves do not officialy sponsor them.

I have been told over the years that next to Disney World, the park with the biggest "Gay Day" on the east coast in terms of attendance is Pittsburgh's Kennywood. Somewhat surprised it wasn't Ohio's Cedar Point since that park is a lot bigger than Kennywood.

[SIZE=3]Cedar Point does have a "gay day". It's on father's day every year. It's not sponsored by the park, but man oh man....the queens come out! LOL. I've been to a couple with my "gays" and it was good times.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Missa310 View Post
    [SIZE=3]Cedar Point does have a "gay day". It's on father's day every year. It's not sponsored by the park, but man oh man....the queens come out! LOL. I've been to a couple with my "gays" and it was good times.[/SIZE]
    No surprise there !!!!

After California, I have heard the state with the largest gay population is Ohio followed close behind by Indiana. I have also heard that America's two most gay friendly cities ( again outside of California ) are Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, neither of which isn't that far from Cedar Point.

Also many waterparks have their own gay days as well.

[quote=JHONWAYNE;38699]I currently work at Walt Disney World. I've been here 18 years and I have seen so many changes. Not all good.

OMG I too worked at WDW from 88-02 at both Epcot and MK I enjoyed my time at Epcot but I did not like MK at all pay was bad and so was the way the supervisors and leads back then treated you. Although we had some great times doing things we probably would of been fired for but I remember when Eisner was hired and how Roy Disney was PO'd about it...Walt would not of liked it at all.

Yeah there were old timer stories how Walt was a miser did not like to pay people what the were worth seems that still holds true today..People thought it was so cool knowing I worked there? I told them I hated that place then and even now...

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    "Walt was a goth" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post
    I had the pleasure of having dinner at Club 33 earlier this year. We were in the main trophy room that Walt used to entertain and hold meetings in. There is hidden microphones in the chandeliers and all sorts of unique things going on in there.

Our waitress had worked there for many years and told me stories about all the different famous people she had waited on including all the living presidents at one table, our table. Another thing I thought was very interesting was that in the main trophy room there is many great photographs of Walt around the park. Since Walt was a heavy smoker, apparently they air brushed cigarettes out of his hand in most of the pictures. I looked closely at the pictures in this room and you could kind of tell that there was something missing.
    Do you have any more pics of club 33?
    I love Walt and Disneyland which is why I tattooed Haunted Mansion and classic Pirates stuff all over my body.

Do you have any more pic of club 33?
    Last edited by JefeStone; 12-12-2007 at 02:46 PM.

ajlposh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I read some where once that he was a huge anti-semite.

Sad, if true.
    I've heard that too. In Milton Belre's biography that was written by his son, he said that Milton never took him to Disneyland because Walt Disney was anti-semetic. I wouldn't be surprised, but that's just terrible. Mr. Disney left behind a great legacy.

halogirl5 Guest
    There is something intensely creepy about DisneyWorld to me, and I don't know what it is. I'm sure it's a good day out and all that, but 'magic?' Get a grip. It's a good,well run theme park. I hate seeing intelligent adults brainwashed into coming home on the plane with Mickey T shirts and buying things from Disney store outlets that are meant for kids. Don't get me wrong I love cartoons and stories (I'm a writer anyway so I'm not being snobbish about imagination or tapping into things that appeal across age groups)
    I am a death hag and I'd rather read about all of that in detail than about some of the ideology surrounding this company. Perhaps because Im from a 'poor' town in the north east of england and when I was little, people were in awe of those who could afford to pay for a whole family to fly to America and go to Disney World. It seems that the company are so terrified of it becoming tainted. The image, I mean. If something happened that was in any way negative at an English theme park, nobody would give a shit.
    The thing that frightens me is that it seems to try to tie itself in with the image the powers that be in the USA want to give out. They are so terrified to show themselves for what they are...a very well run family theme park.
    I don't know, it's creepy.

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    I've heard that too. In Milton Belre's biography that was written by his son, he said that Milton never took him to Disneyland because Walt Disney was anti-semetic. I wouldn't be surprised, but that's just terrible. Mr. Disney left behind a great legacy.
    I talked to one of his animators from the golden days...
    this guy was Jewish. He said that not only wasn't Walt anti- semite...he was actually quite generous to his employees. He remembers coming in to work one day..he'd been working a lot of overtime, and there was an envelope on his desk.
    Filled with shares for the Disney company.
    Disney desperately wanted his company to be a family..and as it grew, and the unions got involved..it all changed.I'm talking the 30's here...
    Just like anything else, people like to shit on the successful company..the bigger you are the bigger target you are. Some people are gonna be unhappy no matter what the job, or where they are.
    As for me...it was the best company to work for, and the best job I'll ever have.
    We worked with the best equipment, with projects that we gave a shit about..we all tried to make them the best we could.We were treated great, the money was fab.
    Colour me true blue Disney....

kimba Guest
    While that is true, Walt should have fired himself LOL

Years ago in a book I read about Disney, he himself enjoyed having that stiff drink
    ayup- legend has it that he loved dipping his morning donut into a glass of whisky...or was it scotch?

and at times enjoyed using some blue language himself.
    But NOT in front of the kiddies...ask any kid who worked on the Disney lot

Also male employees at Disneyland were not allowed to have mustaches.
    Did Walt have one?
    yep- a little charlie chaplin one.
    Last edited by kimba; 07-12-2008 at 10:11 PM.

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JHONWAYNE View Post
    There was a problem after Walt's death...they spent too much time stuck in a rut- what would walt do??? Walt was an innovator...
    It was good for a while when Eisner first came on board...
    but Once the board got control and got rid of Roy jr...the death knell sounded.

It'll only be through the development of a new classical animation program that Disney will be restored to glory. That and someone taking the reins who is farsighted and innovative like Walt.
    Dump the board! It's NOT all about the bottom line.
    Being a Disney employee, I frequently went to WDW..I've never been to Disneyland. I plan to go this year..but I fear that I will be so disappointed...I left Disney in 1999.

ach..I'm kinda out of the loop- but when I worked for the Mouse- it was a great experience. Until the studio shut down I mean...

kimba Guest

No he wouldn't...you are making that statement with contemporary views...
    Walt was no angel..but he was innovative.

Did you know that the Disney company was one of the first to offer same sex benefits?
    And one of the first theme parks to have gay days?

Things were different in the 60's true...but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be progressive now...

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    [SIZE=3]Walt Disney was one of my childhood idols. I adored him. I never missed the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. He died just three days before my birthday. I remember that my mother told me on the phone that afternoon after school and I broke down in tears. [/SIZE]
    Same here. His death was the biggest loss Hollywood ever suffered. He was like ten David O Selznicks.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    big Disney fan here too!

I'm a big Disney fan, too. I have been to Disneyland and Disney World, and loved them both. It was a little sad at Disneyland because you could see and feel how much Walt loved the place. Little shadow boxes and plaques are posted here and there, marking special events or showing how menus, souvenirs used to be, etc. It isn't as large as Disney World, but truly has that small town cozy feeling like all is right in the world. The California Adventure was good, when I went it had only been open a few months so not all the kinks were worked out yet, but still worth going to see.

steve6 Guest

if you were as old as me.....

........and, as the saying goes, if I knew I'd live to be this old, I woulda taken better care of myself......... you might remember that in the early days of Disneyland, Walt was ACTUALLY THERE. He would wander around and "press the flesh," greet the kids and so forth. And Big Roy would draw your portrait in charcoal. He did one for me, and what I wouldn't give to still have it today.

http://www.menziesera.com/people/images/mmc_roy.jpg

kimba Guest
    Hey- Disneyland was the first thing I watched on tv! Granted I was an infant...
    my Mom said I wouldn't take a bottle until Disneyland was over...
    It was only fitting I would end up at Disney...my parents names were Walt and Mickey.
    seriously....

here you find out what is true and what isn't on Disney. http://www.snopes.com/disney/disney.asp

Who's the leader of the club
    That's made for you and me
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    You're as welcome as can be
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse!

Mickey Mouse!

Forever let us hold our banner
    High! High! High! High!

Come along and sing a song
    And join the jamboree!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse club
    We'll have fun
    We'll be new faces
    High! High! High! High!

We'll do things and
    We'll go places
    All around the world
    We'll go marching

Who's the leader of the club
    That's made for you and me
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    You're as welcome as can be
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse!

Mickey Mouse!

Forever let us hold our banner
    High! High! High! High!

Come along and sing a song
    And join the jamboree!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Hmmmmmmm. Uncle Walt, Uncle Walt.

Whilst I don't doubt the cultural impact he (and others) made on popular entertainment, he wasn't all sweetness and light.

Just ask Bobby Driscoll. If he was still alive, that is.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I LOVE Disney!! I grew up going to the park and visited all of the parks in Orlando .. sadly, haven't made it out to Disneyland in Cali but Florida gets my visit once a year, at least! and I am 30 and have no kids! LOL i think the so-called "magic" is you can go and feel like a kid again, and I certainly do! I enjoy riding all the kiddie rides that I did when I was a kid .. and I love the cartoons and movies .. I can't wait to be able to take my own family someday and hope they grow up enjoying it just as I have!!!

I am pretty sure Bobby would be thankful that the Disney company bankrolled the search for him that located his body buried in a pauper's field as a John Doe.

It is not Disney's fault that the roles dried up as Bobby aged. He could have kept him on contract,but a buisiness can't keep every friend and loved one employed if they aren't working. It sure isn't their fault that he decided heroin was a good choice. Bobby worked steadily after Disney, until he let the drugs take over.

1karenhb Guest
    I worked at Disneyland from 1999 to last year. Definately changed in the 8 years I was there and not for the better. I alwys told people they can build bigger and newer parks all over the world but Disneyland was the first. It was Walt's dream and he walked those streets. His apartment is over the firehouse on Main St. and is left just as it was when he was alive. A lamp is always left on in the window in his memory. Talked with a number of people who worked there when he was alive and all had nothing but good things to say. He was very down to earth and insisted on being called Walt, not Mr. Disney and that is why everyone in the company is called by their first name only even at the top. I liked that.

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredMirror View Post
    Hmmmmmmm. Uncle Walt, Uncle Walt.

Whilst I don't doubt the cultural impact he (and others) made on popular entertainment, he wasn't all sweetness and light.

Walt had nothing to do with Driscoll's death. Driscoll was responsible for that. Drug addicts make their own choices, and sometimes support has to be withdrawn to help them. I'm sure the Disney company did what they could to support him as long as they could...just ask Bill Mumy, Annette Funicello, and Kurt Russell.