Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

after watching both "lucy and desi: before the laughter" and "lucy" both on you tube, i decided to google myself silly (ha ha) on lucy and desi. i came across this site http://www.savelucydesicenter.org/index2.html.
    it's possible that i'm not too bright, but what does this mean? anyone?
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

DHfromTN Guest
    I always loved Lucy, too. I remember watching it every night as a kid on Nick-@-Nite.. I've heard all the rumors, too, but I choose not to listen to them as it takes away from the innocence and decency of the show, imo.

trose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    after watching both "lucy and desi: before the laughter" and "lucy" both on you tube, i decided to google myself silly (ha ha) on lucy and desi. i came across this site http://www.savelucydesicenter.org/index2.html.
    it's possible that i'm not too bright, but what does this mean? anyone?
    Jessica,

I went there & tried to figure it out too. Maybe I'm not too bright either - which puts me in great company.

I'm REALLY thinking we are just uninformed. From what I could tell, there's been some sort of break-up within the center.

Maybe someone who knows will post.

Tami

radiojane Guest
    Obviously there's an organization in their names that is about to crash and burn because of some internal conflict they couldn't work out.

Kind of fitting. In a sad way.

as a gift for valentines day, my honey got me the box set of "i love lucy" ! what a weekend i've had. the extras are just amazing! i'm completely in love with lucy, ricky, fred and ethel all over again.

i love them all.

6. 02-16-2009, 09:21 AM

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    She is my favorite of favorites. There will never be anyone who even comes close to her...a total comic genius IMO.

I hate to know about the dark side of Lucy and Desi, though

*continues to live in denial*

radiojane Guest
    Never mind the dark side. The sad part is they really never stopped loving each other. I've read so many books about both of them, and it's always the star crossed lovers thing....

It wasn't just that Desi couldn't keep it in his pants, it was that they were two dedicated and passionate people, Maybe better as friends than lovers.

I always think about the accounts of her leaving his memorial, and of that video of them in the pool with the grand kid, and I cry and cry.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Never mind the dark side. The sad part is they really never stopped loving each other. I've read so many books about both of them, and it's always the star crossed lovers thing....

It wasn't just that Desi couldn't keep it in his pants, it was that they were two dedicated and passionate people, Maybe better as friends than lovers.

I always think about the accounts of her leaving his memorial, and of that video of them in the pool with the grand kid, and I cry and cry.

it's really comforting to know i'm not the only one who gets emotional about their relationship. you're in good company jane.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post

it's really comforting to know i'm not the only one who gets emotional about their relationship. you're in good company jane.
    I'm a sucker for star struck lovers....

Snoopy Guest
    Loved that video of Lucy and Desi in the swimming pool with their Grandson..so precious and so obvious that these two loved each other still. Lucy was a heck of a Dame! noone can top her..and I agree there is just something about tuning in to I Love Lucy that brings a smile.

kafenervosa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Loved that video of Lucy and Desi in the swimming pool with their Grandson..so precious and so obvious that these two loved each other still. Lucy was a heck of a Dame! noone can top her..and I agree there is just something about tuning in to I Love Lucy that brings a smile.
    I couldn't agree with you more. What happened after Desi's memorial? I never heard anything about that.

i wonder if Gary Morton at times was jealous of Desi, there were times the kids tried to get their parents back together even after both Lucy and Desi remarried others. oh i just heard they are planning to release "Here's Lucy season one" on DVD. this comming summer. starring Lucille Ball, Gale Gordon, Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz Jr.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kafenervosa View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. What happened after Desi's memorial? I never heard anything about that.
    Her biographies all have stories from people that were with her saying she was just beside herself with grief. One says she bawled all the way home and kept talking about what a wonderful father he was...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    i wonder if Gary Morton at times was jealous of Desi, there were times the kids tried to get their parents back together even after both Lucy and Desi remarried others. oh i just heard they are planning to release "Here's Lucy season one" on DVD. this comming summer. starring Lucille Ball, Gale Gordon, Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz Jr.
    Gary Morton and Ball at least at first seemed to have a marriage based on friendship, but then towards the end he largely ignored her and was interested only in being Mr. Lucy. I can't speak for Desi, but I know that Lucy could have been happier... (at least according to all I've read).

More Cheese Please Guest
    Lucy and Desi Tribute- The Day I Fall In Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PKMH-a1AF0

Lucy and Desi's first joint TV appearance in 1949

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2eeqxL_glU

16. 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Overtaxed Guest
    I remember reading coverage either of Desi's death and/or funeral (I think it was the funeral), and Lucy was quoted as saying that she was "ELATED" that he had died. Definitely a poor choice of words, but she was referring that his suffering from cancer was over.

Quote Originally Posted by trose View Post
    Jessica,

I went there & tried to figure it out too. Maybe I'm not too bright either - which puts me in great company.

I'm REALLY thinking we are just uninformed. From what I could tell, there's been some sort of break-up within the center.

Maybe someone who knows will post.

Tami
    The Lucy-Desi Center is in Lucy's hometown of Jamestown NY. There was a huge meltdown with the Board of Directors, Lucie and Desi Jr, and the Director. It culminated with the firing of the director of the Center. Save the Lucy-Desi Center played a huge part in the firing. I was in Jamestown this past August for Lucy's birthday celebration, and all this was going on in the background during the scheduled events. I don't know who was right or wrong in the squabble, but the director that was fired seemed like a nice guy and had the backing of Lucie and Desi Jr when he was first brought in.

radiojane Guest
    Forgive me if this has been posted before, But this is the radio pilot for I love Lucy with Ball, Arnez, Frawley and Vance. The plan was originally to run the shows in tandem, at least according to one source.
    It's kind of cool
    http://www.archive.org/details/ILoveLucyOTRBroadcast

GoldwynGal Guest
    forgive me if this has been posted before, but this is the radio pilot for i love lucy with ball, arnez, frawley and vance. The plan was originally to run the shows in tandem, at least according to one source.
    It's kind of cool
    http://www.archive.org/details/ilovelucyotrbroadcast

that is freaking cool!!!!!!!!

ShockDoc Guest
    When I was a tour guide at Paramount Pictures, our guest relations office was near a corner of the lot. There was a drive-on gate next to it. The story goes that when Lucy and Desi owned RKO (now part of the Paramount lot) that was Lucy's private gate, and if someone wasnt there in the mornings to open it for her, she'd drive right through it. Cant say whether it's a true story.
    Once when I was looking through an old soundstage storage area, I ran across a box full of unproduced Desilu TV series scripts. I put em all back.

ShockDoc Guest
    Another story I heard while a Paramount tour guide- On the RKO 'side' of the Paramount lot a few years ago, they were doing some construction on a soundstage and found a little office that had been walled in. Supposedly all that was in there was a cot and a file cabinet that contained the names of the female extras or bit players for all the Desilu shows. The implicatin was that Desi used it for his 'casting'. Who knows if it's true...

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    cool, I'm sure that will be a best seller!!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Forgive me if this has been posted before, But this is the radio pilot for I love Lucy with Ball, Arnez, Frawley and Vance. The plan was originally to run the shows in tandem, at least according to one source.
    It's kind of cool
    That's very cool! Thanks for the post!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    It's kind of cool
    Thanks for posting this rj!!

guardmom2008 Guest
    It's kind of cool
    Thanks radiojane for the post. I really enjoyed it.

More Cheese Please Guest
    I think the consensus is that everyone enjoyed your post RJ!!! LOL!

radiojane Guest
    My pleasure!

More Cheese Please Guest
    My pleasure!
    Thanks again Jane!

yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Lucy's death. hard to believe she's been gone that long. also the Lucy Show season 1 will be available on DVD JULY 21, 2009. Extras include interviews with Lucie Arnaz, and i think the boy who played Lucy's son in the first few seasons.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Wow 20 years. Geez it doesn't seem that long. One of the great shows ever was I Love Lucy. Loved Lucy and Desi together

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Wow 20 years. Geez it doesn't seem that long. One of the great shows ever was I Love Lucy. Loved Lucy and Desi together
    I agree Beatle, I can't believe she has been gone for 20 yrs, I am thankful that they still show reruns of the I Love Lucy show.

hoxharding Guest
    I just was on a site that supposedly has evps recorded around Lucy's grave. One was about how she smoked about 1 to 2 packs of cigarettes a day. Another was about her pets.

Love watching reruns of I love Lucy, she was a very funny lady

LitaMalibu Guest
    Rob Lowe was on Jimmy Kimmel talking about his Snow White-Oscars debacle, but he said the bright side of it was that he ended up watching the rest of the show with Lucille Ball backstage, holding her hand. This was her last appearance as she died a few days later. The funny part was that Jimmy said "You killed Lucille Ball!" Here's the clip (try to ignore the high pitch hissing)...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_8fonV_yI

radiojane Guest
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been anything posted on the Warner Erickson accident, given the theme of this board.

Warner Erickson was a childhood friend of Lucille Ball's younger brother Freddy. In July of 1927 Fred Ball was given a .22 rifle for his 12th birthday. Lucille, her cousin Cleo and a friend of Freddy's named Johanna, were all watching Fred's first lesson with the gun, provided by Fred Hunt, Lucille's grandfather. Johanna took a turn with the gun, and Warner, apparently summoned home by his mother, jumped up just as Johanna pulled the trigger. His spinal cord was severed, and he later died. Lucille's grandfather was sued, lost the family home, and never fully recovered from the incident.

The following is an excerpt from the Ball biography: Ball of Fire that describes the incident in full detail:
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=rAFJ...20Ball&f=false

guardmom2008 Guest
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been anything posted on the Warner Erickson accident, given the theme of this board.

Warner Erickson was a childhood friend of Lucille Ball's younger brother Freddy. In July of 1927 Fred Ball was given a .22 rifle for his 12th birthday. Lucille, her cousin Cleo and a friend of Freddy's named Johanna, were all watching Fred's first lesson with the gun, provided by Fred Hunt, Lucille's grandfather. Johanna took a turn with the gun, and Warner, apparently summoned home by his mother, jumped up just as Johanna pulled the trigger. His spinal cord was severed, and he later died. Lucille's grandfather was sued, lost the family home, and never fully recovered from the incident.

The following is an excerpt from the Ball biography: Ball of Fire that describes the incident in full detail:
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=rAFJ...20Ball&f=false
    Wow, I never knew that. Thank You RJ!

radiojane Guest
    I just reread my Lucille Ball bio, and again I'm wishing that someone talented enough would come along to make a biopic of her story.

She really was interesting. Tough as nails (she made Joan Crawford cry when Crawford guest starred on her show), but so sensitive to public approval that she cried and thought of suicide when she was lambasted for doing Life with Lucy. She really does fascinate me.

guardmom2008 Guest
    I just reread my Lucille Ball bio, and again I'm wishing that someone talented enough would come along to make a biopic of her story.

She really was interesting. Tough as nails (she made Joan Crawford cry when Crawford guest starred on her show), but so sensitive to public approval that she cried and thought of suicide when she was lambasted for doing Life with Lucy. She really does fascinate me.
    I agree RJ. She truly was an amazing woman and inspiration.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I once read a story about how in later years she would "rent" a guest suite in the house to young actors and actresses that caught her eye talent wise. She would share her wisdom with them and give them advice and she charged them rent and made them pay it.
    When it came time for them to move on she quietly gave them a passbook to a savings account she had opened in their name with all of the rent plus interest deposited for them.
    What a wonderful Auntie Mame sort of thing for her to do.
    I too think desi was the love of her life and they screwed it up and neither of them ever got past it.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I once read a story about how in later years she would "rent" a guest suite in the house to young actors and actresses that caught her eye talent wise. She would share her wisdom with them and give them advice and she charged them rent and made them pay it.
    When it came time for them to move on she quietly gave them a passbook to a savings account she had opened in their name with all of the rent plus interest deposited for them.
    I too think desi was the love of her life and they screwed it up and neither of them ever got past it.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I think many people, including us, never thought of them as being apart. The people they married after the divorce was just a friendship.
    Maybe in a different day and age, Desi and Lucy would have gotten better therapy for their problems. I think then it was looked down upon to get therapy. The gossip columnists at the time didn't help either.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

radiojane Guest
    Regards,
    Mary

She also took interest in a teen that her mother introduced her to. When that boy got a job at the May Company, Lucille went down there and spent $600 (and she was pretty frugal), to make his sales figures look good. She tried to use her store charge card, and since it hadn't been used since 1940, the store declined it. Once that was all figured out, they shipped her the wrong stuff!

i think it would've taken ALOT of therapy for Lucille and Desi to work out. He was actually raised believing that adultery was fine, even expected. You have to remember that in Cuba, his father kept a mistress with children of her own until the revolution. While Lucille certainly contributed to their problems, she didn't cheat until right up at the end when it got to be too much.

What pisses me off about Desi, is what he did when they were divorcing. Apparently they had this cigarette lighter in the shape of a pistol, and whenever they were having a fight and one of them wanted to end it, they'd pull out the lighter and pretend to shoot the other. It was a peace signal.
    At the very end of their marriage when Desi's name was in the scandal sheets all the time and the cops were bringing him home drunk, Lucille apparently had a brief fling in New York. Desi had her followed. When Lucille got him screwing around AGAIN, there was a fight and Desi said they should divorce. Lucille said she'd take him for everything and ruin him. Later she wanted to apologize, so Lucille went and got the lighter. When she came up stairs Desi was holding the box bottom that he'd written the name and address of Lucy's fling on. He stared her down and told her never to make threats against him again.

I'm sorry, but that's low. You cheat on a woman for twenty years, and she does it once and YOU get to play Mr. Big Man? I'd have gotten a real gun and shot his balls off.

!

i think it would've taken ALOT of therapy for Lucille and Desi to work out. He was actually raised believing that adultery was fine, even expected. You have to remember that in Cuba, his father kept a mistress with children of her own until the revolution. While Lucille certainly contributed to their problems, she didn't cheat until right up at the end when it got to be too much.

From what I read, in the beginning of their marriage, Lucy met Desi affair for affair. She just tired of all this after the children were born. They had a lot of big fights but they always made up. I am sure that alcoholism accounted for a lot of Desi problems. I might have thought that Desi was bi-polar but I read somewhere that Desi's doctor said that he wasn't and that this was the way alcoholic effected him. Desi didn't really go into rehab until Desi Jr. went with him and then it was too late. Desi and Lucy never stopped loving each other throughout everything and that is amazing.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    From what I read, in the beginning of their marriage, Lucy met Desi affair for affair. She just tired of all this after the children were born. They had a lot of big fights but they always made up. I am sure that alcoholism accounted for a lot of Desi problems. I might have thought that Desi was bi-polar but I read somewhere that Desi's doctor said that he wasn't and that this was the way alcoholic effected him. Desi didn't really go into rehab until Desi Jr. went with him and then it was too late. Desi and Lucy never stopped loving each other throughout everything and that is amazing.

What you've read is probably very true, especially in the time period up until the first divorce. I'm not making excuses for either of them, but I think they cheated for vastly different reasons. And when you factor in Desi's attitudes about infidelity and his alcoholism, as well as Lucille's damage from her childhood and her desperate need for affirmation with their careers going in different directions (at the start), children at a late age, and the pressures of the first television mega hit, it's easy to see where they would've had problems.

mcconk2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Oddman out. I never found her funny. I can't think of one time when she made me laugh. Sight gags and all. She even said she was not funny but had writers who were. I do recall my mother saying people had a fit because she married out of her race.
    I agree totally

radiojane Guest
    I'm really not a fan of "I Love Lucy" at all, but I loved the movies she made before, and even some of her sixties "Sexless sex" comedies.

The real appeal Lucille held for me was her radio work. She was funny as hell as Liz Cooper, and Richard Denning was an excellent costar. They wanted to take that show as it was to tv, Gale Gordon, Bea Benederet and all, but between Benederet and Gordon's other commitments, and Lucille's desire to create a job for Desi, this never happened, which I think is really a shame.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Regards,
    Mary
    I would love to know who those talented young actors/actresses were, and if any of them actually 'made' it in the biz...

Aylen Guest
    Regards,
    Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I would love to know who those talented young actors/actresses were, and if any of them actually 'made' it in the biz...
    Me too! What a great story!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I'll never remember the name but yes the guy who was telling the story was famous but I can't remember who it was for the life of me.
    Regards,
    Mary

Bidmor Guest
    She really was interesting. Tough as nails (she made Joan Crawford cry when Crawford guest starred on her show), but so sensitive to public approval that she cried and thought of suicide when she was lambasted for doing Life with Lucy.
    Lucy making Joan Crawford cry? That's double tough! That and her reaction to criticisms of Life With Lucy is indicative of a true professional entertainer...one who strives to put forth her or his best for their audience. Few like that around anymore. When one of your early screen work is with The Three Stooges, then you've probably seen it all and know the ropes intimately.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 09-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.

I feel like Lucy is something apart of my earliest memories, and I was only born in 1982. I've been drawn to her my whole life and can watch the show whenever it's on. It's still pure genius and holds up by today's standards.

My friend and I constantly quote and/or act out moments that make us laugh the hardest. This includes her turn as the witch in little ricky's school play ("Aah!" "whatdoyouwant!?"), or as the horse in the play for the queen (that's just all her awesome dance moves), or even classics like "tastes just like candy.... HONEST!"

Love the show, love the comedy, it somehow represents a period of time in American culture, yet still has the ability to feel timeless.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemgmve View Post
    or even classics like "tastes just like candy.... HONEST!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfBRRm7RgI
    ...complete with Spanish subtitles