Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

"pins and niddles"....lol

crazedfemale Guest
    I agree, nothing better on a Sunday morning before church, my husband can hear me cackling in our bedroom watching "I Love Lucy." What funny episodes, some are funnier than others, but I laugh anyway. I shared my love for ILL with my nieces, and they named their ferrets Desi and Lucy!

ksol Guest
    I Love Lucy!!!!!!

Rudy's Girl Guest
    To look at me you would say I was more like Lucy. I have red hair and round blue eyes and am fairly out going....But I adore Vivian Vance (as you can tell from my name and avatar.

I just always loved Ethel, she was such a cool friend! I remember watching talk shows before Lucy died, and when ever they brought up Viv's death, Lucy would get very teary eyed. I Love Lucy will always be my favorite show, but the fact is that I Love Ethel!

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    naa, sean astin is that other guys son, patti duke and the guy from the addams family, name escapes me. I am such a huge Lucy fan.. in fact.. I found out today that her mother (who lived to a ripe old age) sat at EVERY SINGLE I love lucy taping and her voice in heard in several episodes!!
    Actually, Sean found out through a DNA that his real father was a man named Michael Tell who was briefly (and I do mean briefly, 13 days) married to his mother, Patty Duke. He considers John Astin however, to be his real dad. He is also close to Desi Jr. who despite the DNA test result, is still considered to be Sean's bio dad by his mother Patty.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    To look at me you would say I was more like Lucy. I have red hair and round blue eyes and am fairly out going....But I adore Vivian Vance (as you can tell from my name and avatar.

I just always loved Ethel, she was such a cool friend! I remember watching talk shows before Lucy died, and when ever they brought up Viv's death, Lucy would get very teary eyed. I Love Lucy will always be my favorite show, but the fact is that I Love Ethel!

i love vivian vance too! my boyfriend's mother gave me the book "the other side of ethel mertz" and i absolutely love it. ethel mertz was such a great character.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

crazedfemale Guest
    I have that book too. I loved Ethel because she always went along with Lucy. I remember a great line from the barbecue building episode. "If this is what friends are for, I would have signed up as an enemy."

Another thing I am notorious for, I quote lines from the show at work from time to time and integrate them into the conversation. This guy at work thinks I am so original, he doesn't know I am stealing the best lines of Lucy!

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I have that book too. I loved Ethel because she always went along with Lucy. I remember a great line from the barbecue building episode. "If this is what friends are for, I would have signed up as an enemy."

Another thing I am notorious for, I quote lines from the show at work from time to time and integrate them into the conversation. This guy at work thinks I am so original, he doesn't know I am stealing the best lines of Lucy!

i do that very same thing. ha ha ha! that's awesome. quoting lines from lucy and integrating them into everyday conversation is a must.

Vivian Vance

Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    But I adore Vivian Vance (as you can tell from my name and avatar.

I just always loved Ethel, she was such a cool friend! But the fact is that I Love Ethel!
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Chunga Guest

I do the same thing with the Andy Griffith Show. People just don't get it. Younger crowd. One more off topic thing, somebody said their husband could hear them cackling in the bedroom. The lady at Starbucks on Sunday morning laughs just like Phyliss Diller! I always get her to laugh without fail and nudge my wife!

just a side note, i've named my new kitty cat fredrick william frawley III, doesn't it just sound so good?

we call him "fred". when i can't find him i wander the house calling.. "fred?, fred? OH FRED!"

crazedfemale Guest
    It's good stuff. One day my boss was complaining about his phone not working and I told him we had the two cans and a string phone system. He started laughing..."two cans and a string...LOL" Another Lucy line stolen!

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Hear it is. It will make you tear up. It made me cry. But don't you dare tell any one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYs85r3aSo
    that was wonderful, there was no one like them, and never will be!
    pull the string!

Last Year I Bought All 6 Seasons Of I Love Lucy On Dvd. So One Of My Favorite Pastimes Is Putting In A Dvd Getting To Watch The Episode Of My Choice Which I Enjoy All Of Them I Also Got The Lucy-desi Comedy Hour Which Is Titled I Love Lucy Too. I Wonder How Did Vivian Vance And William Frawley Work So Long Together ?given The Fact They Couldn't Stand Each Other?

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    Last Year I Bought All 6 Seasons Of I Love Lucy On Dvd. So One Of My Favorite Pastimes Is Putting In A Dvd Getting To Watch The Episode Of My Choice Which I Enjoy All Of Them I Also Got The Lucy-desi Comedy Hour Which Is Titled I Love Lucy Too. I Wonder How Did Vivian Vance And William Frawley Work So Long Together ?given The Fact They Couldn't Stand Each Other?

I am pretty sure both Vivian Vance and Wlliam Frawley were paid pretty well and thanks to those paychecks plus Desi paid them in Desilu stock too anyway with all that money well I guess they could stomach each other for a little bit anyway.

JestersKiss Guest

ethelmaepotter Guest
    I don't think Lucille Ball was a bitch. She was propelled into a very high-ranking position in Hollywood, that of heading one of the most powerful independent production companies in the history of Hollywood. She couldn't be the scatter-brained Lucy character while running a multi-million dollar company that employed thousands of people. She had to be firm, sometimes nasty, but such is life.

Was Lucy a saint? No. From my sources, she was insecure which can cause people to lash out the way Lucy was known to do with other people. She took charge by force, while Desi did it with charm & charisma.

The Lucy-Desi marriage was over before "I Love Lucy" hit the airwaves. Had it not been for I Love Lucy, they would have separated for good in the early 1950s instead of 1960. You take a marriage that is hanging by a thread and add to it the pressures of producing a weekly series and running a production company that produces dozens of other series, and you have a sure-fire recipe for a divorce. While it was not highly publicized, the fact was Desi and Lucy had not even been living together for almost five years before they officially split in 1960. They didn't want to split during the run of the series because they felt it would end the show.

As for Vivian Vance, she was a dynamite talent. Actually, she was probably a better actress than Lucy but that is hard to prove entirely. Unfortunately, Vance's talent was not really appreciated until years after her death. It was sad, because her contributions to television can never be underrated.

Lucy & Vivian did have a great friendship but who really got too involved with it was Gary Morton. Vivian loved Desi, but wasn't too fond of Gary. Vivian often would praise Desi in front of Gary and Gary felt she did it on purpose. You can blame Gary for Vivian's early departure from "The Lucy Show" in 1965. He told Lucy a bunch of things that were untrue and Lucy felt betrayed by Vivian for several years.

Finally, Frawley's contract called for him to get residuals from "I Love Lucy" for the rest of his life and for years after his death. I don't believe Vivian got a deal like that which some believe was the source of her anger at Frawley when she heard about it.

Vamp Guest
    I loved her in Stage Door with Katherine Hepburn. People forget about what a great movie career Lucy had before TV.

I'm going to Lucy's Birthday Celebration in Jamestown NY this August. They do alot of different things to commemorate her birthday. Vivian Vance's sister is going to be a special guest this year, along with Lucy's secretary and her chauffeur. Any other fans out there that are going?

Chunga Guest
    Lucy meets Lucy. Classic clip of Lucy talking to herself.

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media..._Lucille_Ball/

Guest Guest
    I totally adore Lucy

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    Lucy meets Lucy. Classic clip of Lucy talking to herself.

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media..._Lucille_Ball/

Wow, great find Chunga!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    and Lucy says something about Ethel having the biggest "Pottamus" she's ever seen.......hahahahahahaa......FUNNY shat that is

I wanted a toaster!

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    I wanted a toaster!
    LMAO!!!!!

Zombiegirl Guest

crazedfemale Guest
    Isn't that her former final resting spot? Isn't she interred in Jamestown?

leeny994 Guest
    I agree, nothing better on a Sunday morning before church, my husband can hear me cackling in our bedroom watching "I Love Lucy." What funny episodes, some are funnier than others, but I laugh anyway. I shared my love for ILL with my nieces, and they named their ferrets Desi and Lucy!
    i used to have Love birds named Lucy and Desi
    now i have Sid and Nancy and Jackie and irving lol

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    I wanted a toaster!

Then what will you wear to all those smart dinner parties you'll be giving?

Anyone else seen this?
    Weird as hell to see in color, but also really neat I thought since we're (apparently) seeing it how the audience saw the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEEKRGzDCU&feature=related
    â??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.â? - Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    'i don't want those checkerboard britches'

'ethel i should have known better than to shop for you in the young modern section'

lol
    pull the string!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    I'm going to Lucy's Birthday Celebration in Jamestown NY this August. They do alot of different things to commemorate her birthday. Vivian Vance's sister is going to be a special guest this year, along with Lucy's secretary and her chauffeur. Any other fans out there that are going?
    I have been to the one back in 2000. It was actually kinda fun ( saw a man with a pic of Vivian Vance tattooed on his back !! ).

It was also kind of sad too, not so much Lucy but because of Jamestown.
    Very depressed city !! Lots of people holding signs that said "will work for food". If it wasn't for Lucy, that town really would starve !!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I read somewhere that Vivian Vance really liked the Gay boys - and even married one!

I really liked Lucy in one of her final roles, playing a homeless woman in "Stone Pillow" - great movie!
    Stone Pillow was great. I just watched it for free on BitTorrent.com

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by norah View Post
    Anyone else seen this?
    Weird as hell to see in color, but also really neat I thought since we're (apparently) seeing it how the audience saw the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEEKRGzDCU&feature=related
    This is awesome!!

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    'i don't want those checkerboard britches'

'ethel i should have known better than to shop for you in the young modern section'

lol
    LOL!!! You guys crack me UP!

Overtaxed Guest
    For whatever reason, the Scotland episode was never one of my favorites.

texasbelle5 Guest
    There is a story about when they were remodeling Vivian's dressing room on the set of ILL. So for a week or so, Viv had to use a room that was further away and part of the hallway was blocked by cables and equipment, causing Viv to be a little late to rehearsal one day. A heavily pregnant Lucy made a smart ass remark about Viv being late, to which Viv replied "I'd tell you to get fucked, but I see someone beat me to it."

Overtaxed Guest
    I read in one of the biographies of the show that Vivian said that to Lucy when they both won Emmy awards.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post

I know, right? LOL!

It's post daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated!
    I knooooooooooooooooooooooow that!

Somebody stop me!
    Last edited by suzycreamcheese1; 07-05-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Zombiegirl Guest
    I know, right? LOL!

It's post daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated!
    I knooooooooooooooooooooooow that!

Somebody stop me!
    HAhahaaa....I saw that one yesterday. Queen of the Gyp, Gyp, Gyp, Gypsy Gypsies!!! LOL

Isn't that her former final resting spot? Isn't she interred in Jamestown?
    yeah Lucy's kids had Lucy and Lucy's mother's ashes moved to Jamestowna few years ago and buried with Lucy's dad. either last year or early this year Lucy's brother Fred Ball died at 91 he was buried with Lucy and their parents at Jamestown.they have a picture of the Ball family headstone
    Last edited by ROBERT63; 07-06-2008 at 11:01 PM.

here is the family grave plot in Jamestown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balls.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	6300  

Guest Guest
    I was watching my favorite episode of I love Lucy this morning...the one where Desi doesn't know he's going to be a father and he sings 'We're having a baby, my baby and me"...... I always cry when I see that episode..... it makes me sad to think of how bad their marriage was in real life...............

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    I was watching my favorite episode of I love Lucy this morning...the one where Desi doesn't know he's going to be a father and he sings 'We're having a baby, my baby and me"...... I always cry when I see that episode..... it makes me sad to think of how bad their marriage was in real life...............

me too! every single time i see that episode i cry like a baby.

speaking of lucy, i watched "du barry was a lady" last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035829/, i love gene kelly! lucy looked so beautiful. amazingly beautiful. i found myself feeling very envious, but i love her so much.

bunny Guest
    YES LUCY...what can you say about this woman...funny totally funny! I bet she was a great woman to be around!!

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    speaking of lucy, i watched "du barry was a lady" last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035829/, i love gene kelly! lucy looked so beautiful. amazingly beautiful. i found myself feeling very envious, but i love her so much.

I watched that too last night!! I mainly watched it for Gene Kelly, but Luci was magnificent in that .. she was stunning in that movie and its quite different to see her as elegant as opposed to "Lucy" ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    I watched that too last night!! I mainly watched it for Gene Kelly, but Luci was magnificent in that .. she was stunning in that movie and its quite different to see her as elegant as opposed to "Lucy" ..
    i'm glad you watched it too! i thought she was completely stunning.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I had seen that movie a while back, but didn't watch it completely .. then I thought I would catch it last night since I loooove Gene Kelly .. and she was beautiful in that movie!! Like I said, it was quite a change from seeing her as mischievous Lucy as opposed to a sexy love interest! My sister is an I Love Lucy collector .. has tons of stuff, collector dolls, etc ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    I had seen that movie a while back, but didn't watch it completely .. then I thought I would catch it last night since I loooove Gene Kelly .. and she was beautiful in that movie!! Like I said, it was quite a change from seeing her as mischievous Lucy as opposed to a sexy love interest! My sister is an I Love Lucy collector .. has tons of stuff, collector dolls, etc ..

when i was younger, i was a complete lucy collector. most of the things i had were framed pictures and they all were broken in storage. i still have an i love lucy tin, coffee mug, street sign and metal pictures, that's as far as it goes though.

Vamp Guest
    Lucy did this amazing movie with Katherine Hepburn called Stage Door in 1939. It was about young actresses trying to make it. She was SO beautiful. She had quite a career even before I love Lucy.