Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

wanderoze Guest
    I think it was just this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, TV Land had an I Love Lucy marathon......OMIGOD, I loved it, one episode right after another for a couple of hours. And they added little tidbits of "back stage" information under certain shots. Did anyone else catch that marathon?

magblax Guest
    She is a classic! Loved her wardrobe in the old I Love Lucy shows! This is a great quote from her...
    "Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead. "
    Lucille Ball

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    She is a classic! Loved her wardrobe in the old I Love Lucy shows! This is a great quote from her...
    "Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead. "
    Lucille Ball

She did have some great dresses. I guess that man was none other than Desi. Or Gary Morton....depending on when she said that.

wanderoze Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    She did have some great dresses. I guess that man was none other than Desi. Or Gary Morton....depending on when she said that.

Her and Viv's dresses were fabulous and you rarely ever saw Desi without a tie. And look how dressed up they all got when they just went "up town" or dinner. Those were the days.....

Quote Originally Posted by wanderoze View Post
    Her and Viv's dresses were fabulous and you rarely ever saw Desi without a tie. And look how dressed up they all got when they just went "up town" or dinner. Those were the days.....

That was the 'standard' for America in the 1950s.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kafenervosa View Post
    I love Lucy, too. She's the greatest and there will never be another! I have also heard on TV bios that she didn't know what was funny. The writers wrote it and she did it. She was a great physical comic. Have any of you seen the biography special done on her? They have a video of her and Desi in the pool with their first grandchild. It was the last time they were filmed together before Desi died. It made me cry.
    Here's that clip on YouTube... very touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYs85r3aSo

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    That was the 'standard' for America in the 1950s.
    Hard to believe you dressed up like as well in the 40's and 50's to see a movie. I hear going to movies was a major night out in those days...

Noelle Page Guest
    Sigh....I wish we could have the 50s back, just with today's medical advances and a little more tolerance of things people can't help.

Then again, we wouldn't have the internet....I'm of two minds about that!

Well I for one do not miss Butch Wax! Of course now it would be a moot point.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

magblax Guest

Wonder if Desi was a "Dapper Dan Man"?

smooches27 Guest

Wonder if Desi was a "Dapper Dan Man"?
    He would have been a Dapper Desi!!

Sorry I couldn't help it....

magblax Guest
    Yes! Dapper Desi.

Remember how much Lucy loved to accompany him to the club?..."Babalu"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Hard to believe you dressed up like as well in the 40's and 50's to see a movie. I hear going to movies was a major night out in those days...
    They dressed to go out period, even the grocery store. I don't mean 'Dressed To The Nines', but in general women back then dressed better to go to the supermarket than most women dress today for a big party.

Sportswear for men was non-existent til after WWII, so even on one's day off, men still wore dress shirts- that's all there was. Back then you didn't want to look like a bum. Most men wanted their women to be well dressed because for one thing it was a reflection on them; the fact that they could afford to keep their wives well dressed.

For the past near 4 decades, we've swung to the other end of the spectrum where people don't want to look 'made up', or (be) considered 'over-dressed' by their peers. Whereas young people (late teens) back in the 1950s wanted to look grown up and well groomed/dressed up until the mid 60s, most folks since then have not. Whether you're 17, 28 or 40 most people these days all dress like college kids on their way to a class.
    Funny, but when I see someone really dressed up today, I almost automatically think that they're on their way to a wedding. Don't forget, many restaurants refused service to women wearing slacks up until the early 1970s by which time so many women were wearing pantsuits that they had to give in & plenty of restaurants still reserve the right not to seat men who aren't in a coat & tie.

Danny, you & I are the same age; I bet you too can vaguely recall when we were really little, say 1965,66 and you know, when you went out to eat, to church etc that the men were in suit & tie, the women in dresses & pumps. The styles though in a just a short 5 year span, say those from 1965 compared to 1970 are/were worlds apart.

The original Darin (DICK YORK) & Samantha (ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY) in 1966

VS.

4 years later with the 2nd Darin (DICK SARGENT)
    1970....What a difference a few years makes

FAMILY CIRCLE 1965

VS.

McCALLS 1970

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    And the movie theatres of that time really were showplaces in their own right.

Warner Theatre in Washington, The Denver Paramount and of course
    Radio City Music Hall.

We had a theatre just like that here in Winchester, VA called The Colonal.
    Really classy place !! Plush carpeting even the snack bar was beautiful.

The Colonal closed in 1941 and was still standing ( complete with stage, seats and even the snack bar..even some of the old movie posters were still up in the lobby ) until just a few weeks ago when the building's roof fell in due to rain water.

There were attempts to bring the place back to life over the years but local politics got in the way.

Noelle Page Guest
    Everything changed in, I'd say, 1966-67.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderoze View Post
    I think it was just this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, TV Land had an I Love Lucy marathon......OMIGOD, I loved it, one episode right after another for a couple of hours. And they added little tidbits of "back stage" information under certain shots. Did anyone else catch that marathon?
    Yes I did catch it, but it pissed me off because they only chose a certain few episodes to add the tidbits to, and just kept running them over and over again. I enjoyed it, but would have liked it if the Marathon had included more episodes. After they started repeating them, I stopped watching the Marathon. It was good amusement until then, LOL

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post

Radio City Music Hall.

The Colonal closed in 1941 and was still standing ( complete with stage, seats and even the snack bar..even some of the old movie posters were still up in the lobby ) until just a few weeks ago when the building's roof fell in due to rain water.

There were attempts to bring the place back to life over the years but local politics got in the way.
    We had a few of those here too, and like the Colonal, attempts to bring them back failed. I soooooooo wish there was a theater like this open now that runs nothing but classic movies. If I ever win a big lottery, this is what I'm going to do, even if it doesn't make any money, LOL

Suebabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post

Radio City Music Hall.

The same politics that hosed the Patsy Cline museum?

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suebabe View Post
    The same politics that hosed the Patsy Cline museum?
    some of it..
    actually the local paper here did a story about the place recently

http://www.winchesterstar.com/articl...ArticleID=4437

knothere Guest
    i wanna hear from the ppl that live in Lucy's Roxbury home now to see if they have had contact with her spirit

Suebabe Guest
    Ya know? When I was a kid the paper ran The Almanac, which listed events which happened on this date in history?

On a certain date for 1960, they reminded us that was the day Lucy was granted her divorce. I so do not want to believe it happened so I scratched that tidbit from the paper. Though if I made it disappear from the paper, it did not really happen.

Kids -- how they think!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    i wanna hear from the ppl that live in Lucy's Roxbury home now to see if they have had contact with her spirit

I'd like to know that too. They did change the look of that house.....wonder if Lucy's mad about that???

melodylee Guest
    They dressed to go out period, even the grocery store. I don't mean 'Dressed To The Nines', but in general women back then dressed better to go to the supermarket than most women dress today for a big party.

Sportswear for men was non-existent til after WWII, so even on one's day off, men still wore dress shirts- that's all there was. Back then you didn't want to look like a bum. Most men wanted their women to be well dressed because for one thing it was a reflection on them; the fact that they could afford to keep their wives well dressed.

For the past near 4 decades, we've swung to the other end of the spectrum where people don't want to look 'made up', or (be) considered 'over-dressed' by their peers. Whereas young people (late teens) back in the 1950s wanted to look grown up and well groomed/dressed up until the mid 60s, most folks since then have not. Whether you're 17, 28 or 40 most people these days all dress like college kids on their way to a class.
    Funny, but when I see someone really dressed up today, I almost automatically think that they're on their way to a wedding. Don't forget, many restaurants refused service to women wearing slacks up until the early 1970s by which time so many women were wearing pantsuits that they had to give in & plenty of restaurants still reserve the right not to seat men who aren't in a coat & tie.

Danny, you & I are the same age; I bet you too can vaguely recall when we were really little, say 1965,66 and you know, when you went out to eat, to church etc that the men were in suit & tie, the women in dresses & pumps. The styles though in a just a short 5 year span, say those from 1965 compared to 1970 are/were worlds apart.

The original Darin (DICK YORK) & Samantha (ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY) in 1966

VS.

4 years later with the 2nd Darin (DICK SARGENT)
    1970....What a difference a few years makes
    My husband and I were just talking about that the other day. Growing up, both my grandmother and mom NEVER left the house without sprucing up a bit. It didn't have to be a full face of makeup (well, my grandmother was a little more particular, ha ha), but if you were going downtown, your clothes were clean and pressed, your hair was done and you dang sure had some lipstick on! I grew up in the 70's and 80's were it became a little more relaxed but their habits definitely have had an effect on me. I NEVER leave the house in sweats, hair a mess and I ALWAYS have a tube of lipstick, ha ha. I can't hold a candle to the sharp women back in the day though.

If you guys were watching the Lucy & Desi videos on YouTube, you probably already saw this, but I thought it was sweet so I thought I would post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtrdj5Ci-Gc

DoubleZ1013 Guest
    I would really like to hear Desi Arnaz Jr.'s take on his mother.

lisalouver Guest
    I was in the Navy when I heard the news that Lucy had died. I was so sad I remember.

I love watching the old shows.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MPetro108 View Post
    Here's that clip on YouTube... very touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYs85r3aSo

Thank you for that link.. I constantly look for this type of thing re: lucy and desi, and this was wonderful.. thank you!!

unihikid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by melodylee View Post
    My husband and I were just talking about that the other day. Growing up, both my grandmother and mom NEVER left the house without sprucing up a bit. It didn't have to be a full face of makeup (well, my grandmother was a little more particular, ha ha), but if you were going downtown, your clothes were clean and pressed, your hair was done and you dang sure had some lipstick on! I grew up in the 70's and 80's were it became a little more relaxed but their habits definitely have had an effect on me. I NEVER leave the house in sweats, hair a mess and I ALWAYS have a tube of lipstick, ha ha. I can't hold a candle to the sharp women back in the day though.

If you guys were watching the Lucy & Desi videos on YouTube, you probably already saw this, but I thought it was sweet so I thought I would post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtrdj5Ci-Gc

Well i grew up in the 80s,and my grandmother was trapped in the "dress up" stage well into her late 80s when she stopped driving.she owned the duplex next door to us and she use to dress up to collect the rent! i also remember when i had to go shopping with her she made me ware a bowtie,and we shopped at orbachs on wilshire,then we would go across the street to may co and have lunch at johnnies(i wanted ships because they had toasters at the tables).but it was always an event,where with my parents it was the other way around,dad was color blind and dressed like he was a "members only" club cat.mom was more into slacks,but they worked in the record industry and i guess they had to keep up with the times.

as far as movies palaces go there are a few still around,i know in la they want to fix up downtown broadway just for the theatres,but out here in dallas most of the "palaces" are devoted to musicals.

AL HIRSCHFELD drawing of
    LUCILLE BALL, circa 1963.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

AL HIRSCHFELD drawing of

LUCILLE BALL, circa 1963.

Thank you KELT. I love Hirschfeld. I didn't know he did one of Lucy. I love that he's got the cig in her hand!

31. 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
    Reason
    response is in wrong spot

32. 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
    Reason
    response in wrong spot

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smooches27 View Post
    He would have been a Dapper Desi!!

Sorry I couldn't help it....
    "I don't want FOP goddamit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!", lol hilarious

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Ugh, I wish dressing up came back in style.

madmravyn Guest
    I remember I was going on 9 years old when she died and her death was the first celeb death to really make me sad. I was so sad because I loved her in I Love Lucy and she, along with the Stooges were sources of laughter for me in a time when laughter was rare. I remember literally crying because "Lucy Ricardo" died.

playmateshorty Guest
    i visited her grave in jamestown, ny. for such a funny and beautiful woman, that town is pretty crappy! i wouldn't want to be buried there.

she was no marilyn, but she has got to be the funniest red head ever =]

desi bi sexual?

i was googling around for any dirt on desi's affairs, and i've run across an article that claims him to be bisexual.

thoughts? confirmations?
    http://www.nndb.com/people/411/000045276/
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Caesar Romero supposedly outed him in an interview.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by playmateshorty View Post
    i visited her grave in jamestown, ny. for such a funny and beautiful woman, that town is pretty crappy! i wouldn't want to be buried there.

she was no marilyn, but she has got to be the funniest red head ever =]
    Jamestown, New York is a VERY depressed city with high unemployment. Actually the whole region is quite depressed. The biggest city to Jamestown is Buffalo. Hard to believe but at the time when Lucy was roaming the streets of Jamestown, Buffalo was one of America's largest cities. Today its about half the size as it was when I Love Lucy was big.
    Oddly across the boarder into Canada, the area from just across Buffalo ( Fort Erie, ON ) all the way to Toronto is the biggest booming area of Canada.

Of course Buffalo and Jamestown can't share that growth with its Canadian neighbors.

crazedfemale Guest
    Desi, bisexual??? I thought he was quite the womanizer. If my grandmother were alive, she would be having me cut out another article because she wouldn't believe it herself!

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Desi, bisexual??? I thought he was quite the womanizer. If my grandmother were alive, she would be having me cut out another article because she wouldn't believe it herself!

Slept with: Cesar Romero (per Romero's interview with Boze Hadleigh)
    Slept with: Richard Kollmar (husband of Dorothy Kilgallen, also per Romero's interview)
    pull the string!

Yes! Dapper Desi.

Remember how much Lucy loved to accompany him to the club?..."Babalu"
    I recall seeing a clip of Desi on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson. He was talking about his early days on Broadway and said something to the effect of, "I was doin' 'Too Many Girls'." The audience and Johnny are laughing. Desi grins and says, "I mean the show."

FAMILY CIRCLE 1965

VS.

McCALLS 1970
    OMG! I was doing some serious deep cleaning at my mother's house and I found this pattern among others stored in a closet.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    to give ceasar the benefit of the doubt, if those two did get it on I am sure on desi's part it was a "see who it goes" thing.
    I wouldnt even call desi bi.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I LOVE Patricia Rutledge! Carol is awesome, too. I was raised on her.
    I was raised on Carol Burnett, too and I adore Patricia Rutledge as that "dreadful Bucket woman."

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    i honestly think her hostility was because of desi. even though they divorced and they both remarried, lucy still loved desi with all her heart. i remember an interview where her new hubby was sitting right next to her and all she could talk about was desi, even if some of the things she said weren't nice. she was still mad at him for all the fooling around, and the scorn never faded.
    Before Desi died of cancer, Lucy phoned him and was heard by Lucie to repeat, "I love you, I love you."

LUCY was always crazy about DESI; the trouble was that he catted around, a lot ! She left him in the 1940s around the time that she was doing MY FAVORITE HUSBAND, the radio show that basically morphed into
    I LOVE LUCY on television. DESI went after her & eventually bedded her down the night before the divorce, so in effect the outcome was voided. True, she could be 'cold' and overly officious even in her personal life, however it wasn't DESI who filed. It was LUCY who filed all 3 times til the one in 1960 was followed through to fruition ! Though she cited other reasons like 'indifference, mental cruelty' etcetera in her divorce petition, it was DESI'S screwing around that was the main 'bone of contention' for LUCY.

Lucy was tipped off that Desi was arrested at a cathouse and his name would appear in the newspapers. Some theorized that Lucy's pride was damaged beyond repair and she absolutely could not hold her head up in public after news like that got out to the masses.
    Desilu, a book that tells about the show, Lucy, Desi and the kids, etc. had this info. Plus, Desi's drinking was getting heavier and he was exploding with rage at Lucy and the kids. She does look truly traumatized in the photo from her court deposition. It's so damned sad.

That is a largely a misperception: VIVIAN VANCE didn't care for LUCY initially and in fact was quoted as having said to a friend not long after having started working with LUCY & DESI , "She may well be a bitch, but I'm going to learn to love that bitch !" In time the two became good friends. LUCY gave a long leash too where VIVIAN was concerned in respect to the fact that LUCY was VIVIAN'S boss; LUCY bailed her out when she (VV) had psychiatric hospitalizations. LUCY also went to bat for VIVIAN when she had all that trouble with PHIL OBER. The two women were close enough, maybe not bosom buddies, but they cared for one another.

The gals also had a falling out when Lucy was pregnant with Desi Jr. Vivian Vance said, "I'd tell you to go f*ck yourself, but Desi beat me to it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Desi thought because he slept with hookers she should understand, that it wasn't cheating. I'm sad for them, but Lucy did what she had to do for herself, wish all of us women could be like her.
    That was normal behavior, as viewed by Desi, because his father kept a mistress in a small house on the Arnaz's property. He mentioned that his father said " A virile man should have as many women as he has hairs on his head." Prostitutes didn't 'count' as cheating, since there was no love involved.
    Yes, I wish other women and yours truly had Lucy's intestinal fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    naa, sean astin is that other guys son, patti duke and the guy from the addams family, name escapes me. I am such a huge Lucy fan.. in fact.. I found out today that her mother (who lived to a ripe old age) sat at EVERY SINGLE I love lucy taping and her voice in heard in several episodes!!
    Her mother's name was Dee Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Was it on FAD that I read Kay Ballard's account of a hike with Lucy? Suddenly the two ladies encountered a coyote or some animal....Lucy screamed "Fuck off!" at it---and the poor creature hightailed it outta there, tail between legs.

Nevertheless Lucy has got to be one of the most beloved celebrities ever.
    The Desilu book has Kay Ballard saying that a rabid dog appeared when they were hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Same here, Dennis. Who was it that said, "Every day I wake up is a good day" ?? Well that's how I feel !!

Now that I've been watching these episodes again, restored back to their original pristine condition, I've decided this set is really priceless. There are just some things in life that are simple, pure and joyful..."I Love Lucy" is one of those things.

Big hugs back at ya' !!!

Sophia on Golden Girls