Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Mythbusters just did a show on the rumor Lucy heard radio signals in her fillings. For years everyone thought she was crazy & made it up as a publicity stunt. They determined that she had new fillings in her teeth & if she had eaten spicy food her saliva would have been plentiful enough to make a charge that she would interpret to be radio signals. The part about finding an underground Japanese bunker was bunk though.
    I saw that on Mythbusters - those guys are great.

I remember watching Here's Lucy when I was young - loved the fashion! For some reason I just loved the opening of the show, I was obsessed with watching it.
    Loved her in Yours, Mine and Ours as well - that movie is GOLD!

Cathy J. Guest
    I wonder what Desi Arnaz Jr. is like in real life? I read on FAD he is a very nice guy.

Lucie Arnaz...well thats another thin !!!

Well to give them both creidt they did save the city of Jamestown, New York.
    before they "rediscovered" Lucy & Desi, the city was in a severe financial crisis with falling property vaules and high unemployment. Maybe those things still exist there but those Lucy-Desi days ( two are held each year ) do bring in a ton of money for that city some 60 miles southwest of Buffalo.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    I read when William Frawley died, Vivian Vance said, "Let's open up a
    bottle of champagne". I don't blame her for not wanting to do a show
    with him after I Love Lucy. Although there are two sides to everything,
    it sounds like he was pretty mean to her.
    Vivian Vance was a long time supporter for mental health. Sadly that cost her a job, being on Candid Camera.

Story goes, Allan Funt had Vivian play a sales clerk at a New York City department store. I guess the joke was to see how many customers would notice that it was Ethel Metrz behind the sales counter.

A young man walks up to Vance to purchase a nightgown. As most sales clerks did in those days Vivian tried to start to conversation with the young man. She asked him who is he buying the nightgown for. He says its for his wife, then the young man starts to cry. She asks him what the matter and he says his wife was in a mental hospital. Soon tears were rolling down the faces of both Vance and the young man. The whole thing of course was filmed.

Allan Funt thought this was very funny, the sight of a grown man crying his eyes out. Vance of course thought otherwise and demanded not only that Candid Camera not use that film ( I dont think they ever did ) and that the film be destroyed. This pissed off Funt, to the point he never invited her back to Candid Camera.

BTW..Vance went to visit the young man's wife in the hospital for support.

Class

Vivian Vance sounds like she was a very classy lady. I have always liked her as an actress, but now I like her as a person as well.

Good for her!

-K.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Vivian Vance was a long time supporter for mental health. Sadly that cost her a job, being on Candid Camera.

Story goes, Allan Funt had Vivian play a sales clerk at a New York City department store. I guess the joke was to see how many customers would notice that it was Ethel Metrz behind the sales counter.

A young man walks up to Vance to purchase a nightgown. As most sales clerks did in those days Vivian tried to start to conversation with the young man. She asked him who is he buying the nightgown for. He says its for his wife, then the young man starts to cry. She asks him what the matter and he says his wife was in a mental hospital. Soon tears were rolling down the faces of both Vance and the young man. The whole thing of course was filmed.

Allan Funt thought this was very funny, the sight of a grown man crying his eyes out. Vance of course thought otherwise and demanded not only that Candid Camera not use that film ( I dont think they ever did ) and that the film be destroyed. This pissed off Funt, to the point he never invited her back to Candid Camera.

Sounds like Funt was a real jerk. But Vivian was great.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Cathy J.....that's a great story about Vivian. I'd not heard that one before. It's too bad that Funt was such an ass.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post

What a great story! I LOVE(d) Vivian Vance, and my all-time favorite episode of ILL was "Ethel's Birthday." Screamingly funny, still to this day.

I loved Lucy too, except in "Mame." She was truly awful in that...and Angela Lansbury (who originated the role on Broadway) has nothing good to say about Ball's tactics in usurping the role from her. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    What a great story! I LOVE(d) Vivian Vance, and my all-time favorite episode of ILL was "Ethel's Birthday." Screamingly funny, still to this day.
    Is that the one where Lucy goes shopping for Fred for Ethel's birthday present? And she gets her a pair of short pants to wear to "smart dinner parties" LMAO....that is one of my favorites! I laugh just thinkin' about it. LOL

Noelle Page Guest
    I honestly would put her at the top of the list of performers who gave the most happiness to the most people. When I'm feeling low, a good episode of Lucy always puts things right.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    Is that the one where Lucy goes shopping for Fred for Ethel's birthday present? And she gets her a pair of short pants to wear to "smart dinner parties" LMAO....that is one of my favorites! I laugh just thinkin' about it. LOL
    That's the one! "Hostess Pants" LOL !

Zombiegirl Guest
    That's the one! "Hostess Pants" LOL !
    and Lucy says something about Ethel having the biggest "Pottamus" she's ever seen.......hahahahahahaa......FUNNY shat that is

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    and Lucy says something about Ethel having the biggest "Pottamus" she's ever seen.......hahahahahahaa......FUNNY shat that is
    ...and ends in the theatre with the two of them vying for the armrest and Lucy reaching under the seat and pulling the shoe off the guy sitting behind her.
    THAT was comedy.

Zombiegirl Guest
    ...and ends in the theatre with the two of them vying for the armrest and Lucy reaching under the seat and pulling the shoe off the guy sitting behind her.
    THAT was comedy.
    LMAO!!! yep...that was just hysterical, LOL Definitely one of my favorites. Another one I really like is where they dress up like aliens and go on top of the Empire State Building......."itsa moo mooo" LOLOLOL

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    LMAO!!! yep...that was just hysterical, LOL Definitely one of my favorites. Another one I really like is where they dress up like aliens and go on top of the Empire State Building......."itsa moo mooo" LOLOLOL
    Do you have this? If not, I highly recommend splurging on yourself. It has every single episode, plus all the Lucy/Desi comedy hours, plus clips from her Emmy wins, everything you can think of. 34 discs.

The list price is just under $250; Amazon has it for $190, and being the cheapskate I am, I held out and !!! found it @ Costco for $125. I finally caved and bought it there, and it was worth every penny!

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Lucy-Co...1322668&sr=8-2

Zombiegirl Guest
    Do you have this? If not, I highly recommend splurging on yourself. It has every single episode, plus all the Lucy/Desi comedy hours, plus clips from her Emmy wins, everything you can think of. 34 discs.

The list price is just under $250; Amazon has it for $190, and being the cheapskate I am, I held out and !!! found it @ Costco for $125. I finally caved and bought it there, and it was worth every penny!

Wow, I didn't know that this existed. Thank you for telling me about this! I'll have to go see if they have it at the Costco here. $125 is a pretty good price for ALL the episodes. 34 discs......WOW!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    I honestly would put her at the top of the list of performers who gave the most happiness to the most people. When I'm feeling low, a good episode of Lucy always puts things right.

You said it. I always feel good after watching an episoed of ILL. It's hard to pick a favorite episode, but I do love when they're in Calilfornia. And I like most of the Europe episodes too.

Noelle Page Guest
    I did kind of wish they never moved to Connecticut. That was a bit of a jump-the-shark moment for me. For some reason, I also preferred the apartment without the window--the one with the exposed brick wall.

Daisy'sMom Guest
    I did kind of wish they never moved to Connecticut. That was a bit of a jump-the-shark moment for me. For some reason, I also preferred the apartment without the window--the one with the exposed brick wall.

Same here. I watch the DVDs every night, going to sleep with them. I never watch the Connecticut ones though. I think it makes me sad because Lucy and Desi were over by then.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    Same here. I watch the DVDs every night, going to sleep with them. I never watch the Connecticut ones though. I think it makes me sad because Lucy and Desi were over by then.
    ...and it showed

BANTAMBILL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    No.....she was married to Gary Morton when she died

SHE WAS FIRST LAID TO REST AT FOREST LAWN LISTED AS [[ LUCILLLE BALL MORTON ''. HER REMAINS WERE TRANSFERRED TO JAMESTOWN, NY 10 YEARS LATER AND THERE IS NO MENTION OF ' MORTON' ON THE GRAVESTONE

Daphne Guest
    I have not read all posts. but... I love lucy is a show I come back to every few years and I continue to crack up at the episodes..She was probably (in my book) the most hysterical woman in the world.. I am in another 'Lucy' mode and watch it at every chance I get, and there have been times recently where I am weeping from laughing...I think Ethel and Fred were flawless in their delivery as actors (fred was hysterical!).. I freakin LOVE LUCY (dear god it was on before I was born, and Im old- the reruns make all generations laugh still!!!)

djdeath-hag Guest

Thanks for the Costco "heads up", Jack! Since I share Lucy's birthday and have always Loved Lucy, I will look for it at my local Costco....I found it sorta heartwarming that she was returned to Jamestown. I've always adored her playing opposite Henry Fonda in "Yours, Mine & Ours"...but have never watched the remake. (How could it be as good as the original?) Lucy, Andy, JonBenet & me..............all born on the same day. Yet only one of us has the odd vantagepoint of being alive in 2008. (At least for now...........I never expect another day, each one is bonus gain-time for me!
    Hag Hugs, Dennis

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Thanks for the Costco "heads up", Jack! Since I share Lucy's birthday and have always Loved Lucy, I will look for it at my local Costco....I found it sorta heartwarming that she was returned to Jamestown. I've always adored her playing opposite Henry Fonda in "Yours, Mine & Ours"...but have never watched the remake. (How could it be as good as the original?) Lucy, Andy, JonBenet & me..............all born on the same day. Yet only one of us has the odd vantagepoint of being alive in 2008. (At least for now...........I never expect another day, each one is bonus gain-time for me!
    Hag Hugs, Dennis
    Same here, Dennis. Who was it that said, "Every day I wake up is a good day" ?? Well that's how I feel !!

Now that I've been watching these episodes again, restored back to their original pristine condition, I've decided this set is really priceless. There are just some things in life that are simple, pure and joyful..."I Love Lucy" is one of those things.

Big hugs back at ya' !!!

Every day I wake up is a good day....

I think George Burns said that, but I'm not sure.

-K.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    I think George Burns said that, but I'm not sure.
    -K.
    Thanks K! I do believe you're right! Definitely words to live by...

malaki Guest
    She's one of my favorite FAD bios to read here, I've read it numerous times, her & Desi, I like his also...

I personally think everyone should picket the networks and demand that they take this crap that's on today off the air and replace it with reruns of "I Love Lucy", "The Andy Griffith Show", and "The Carol Burnett Show". There would probably be a lot more love and laughter in the country!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

wanderoze Guest
    I Love Lucy is without a doubt my all time favorite show. The shows are just as funny today as they were when they first aired.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest

Lucille Ball

When I was in the 8th grade, my school had a career week when people come to talk about what they do for a living. A mortician came up to speak, which instantly caught my attention. He worked in Hollywood and had mentioned that he had done the autopsy and embalming of a few celebrities including Lucille Ball who had just past away. I remember being pretty stoked to have gotten to meet and talk with him.

I used to go and see her at forest lawn Hollywood Hills every so often. I really liked where she was there, just a stones throw from quite a few others famous resting places and tucked away atop a hill. I didnā??t know until months after the fact that she had been moved to New York until I went there one day with someone and thought I had gone temporarily crazy because I could not find it anymore. I wish I had my grave rubbings hobby back then, and I donā??t see myself getting out to New York any time soon.

Noelle Page Guest
    Was there EVER better onscreen chemistry between four people? Just....perfection.

I was reading Kitty Kelly's book on Sinatra the other night (before I threw it out, I've decided I don't like him) and it had a great anecdote about Frank threatening Desi in a club for some stupid reason. Tough guy. Desi wasn't intimidated, basically told him to fuck off, "go have your drinks and relax," words to that effect. Frank backed right down. Good for Desi!
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 01-30-2008 at 04:20 PM.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I personally think everyone should picket the networks and demand that they take this crap that's on today off the air and replace it with reruns of "I Love Lucy", "The Andy Griffith Show", and "The Carol Burnett Show". There would probably be a lot more love and laughter in the country!

Well, yes....tv isn't what it used to be. TVland has old reruns but even they have gone downhill. Now they're showing "Just Shoot Me" My response to that?? Just GAG me. UGH.

I agree, bring on the good ol' reruns : )

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post
    When I was in the 8th grade, my school had a career week when people come to talk about what they do for a living. A mortician came up to speak, which instantly caught my attention. He worked in Hollywood and had mentioned that he had done the autopsy and embalming of a few celebrities including Lucille Ball who had just past away. I remember being pretty stoked to have gotten to meet and talk with him.

I used to go and see her at forest lawn Hollywood Hills every so often. I really liked where she was there, just a stones throw from quite a few others famous resting places and tucked away atop a hill. I didnā??t know until months after the fact that she had been moved to New York until I went there one day with someone and thought I had gone temporarily crazy because I could not find it anymore. I wish I had my grave rubbings hobby back then, and I donā??t see myself getting out to New York any time soon.

WOW. I can't imagine meeting that guy. To think of seeing someone like Lucy in that way. Did he give any details????

Yes, I'd like to visit Lucy's grave. I guess it's nice they moved her to her hometown....but I'll bet all you hollywood folk miss having her there.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderoze View Post
    I Love Lucy is without a doubt my all time favorite show. The shows are just as funny today as they were when they first aired.
    Most of 'em.
    I like the episodes from the 2nd through 5th seasons.
    My personal favorites:

1) ALBEQURQUE- On the way to Hollywood the Ricardos & Mertzes stop by Ethel's hometown. Ethel had been writing to her father telling him that it was she who was going to be in a movie, not Ricky. The townspeople fawn all over Ethel and ignore the others who get their revenge at Ethel's singing recital by doing their own routine behind Ethel as she's singing her heart out ('My Hero' from THE CHOCOLATE SOLDIER).

2)PHIPPS DEPARTMENT STORE- Lucy finds out that Ricky lied to her about how she got to be on their tv show sponsored by PHIPPS DEPARTMENT STORE. She gets her revenge 'On Air'.
    "Oh When We Go On Shopping Trips, Where Else Would We Go But PHIPPS ? From The Top Or To The Bottom If It's Bargains, PHIPPS Has Got 'Em. Down At PHIPPS You're Credit's Great. Ask Today For A PHIPPS-O-PLATE. First Name On Top Of Shopping Lists.......Oh, P-H-I-PP-S ...PHIPPS ! "

3) LUCY TELLS THE TRUTH- Ricky bets Lucy that she can't go an entire day without telling a fib. The climax is at her bridge club when she tells her friends what she really thinks of them.

What's so great about them, is that here, now 50 years later and they're still terrific. Very watchable for the most part. Towards the end they were running out of laughs, straining to be funny. Usually tv shows do 1 of 3 things when they're dying off:
    # 1 Change locations,
    # 2 Get Guest Stars Like Crazy,
    # 3 Add a child to the cast
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I am all for it. literally. Kids today don't have those sweet touchstones.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    Well, yes....tv isn't what it used to be. TVland has old reruns but even they have gone downhill. Now they're showing "Just Shoot Me" My response to that?? Just GAG me. UGH.

I agree, bring on the good ol' reruns : )
    I agree too !!

However most of TV is hell bent on trying to reach that 24 year old who has maxed out credit cards, still lives at home with their parents or with several roomates, smokes Marlboro Lights, drinks Bud Light and/or Mountain Dew, loves fast food, wears torn clothes, listens to modern rock on their Ipods, etc...

That is their favorite demo. Why? Don't know but sadly most of them arent Lucy fans.

unihikid Guest
    (with a sad face) its marlboro reds,and regular bud for me,and i LOVE LUCY! oh and im too poor to afford a ipod

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    (with a sad face) its marlboro reds,and regular bud for me,and i LOVE LUCY! oh and im too poor to afford a ipod
    Me, too - and I'm 36!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Much of what they air on TV Land stinks:

Three's Company - LUCILLE BALL may have thought that this was great comedy; then again, she thought that her last series Life With Lucy was pretty terrific too ! Five years of straining pratfalls with unfunny stooges, and untalented loons. Where is Joyce De HalfWitt these days anyway ?

Sanford & Son- I don't get it, never did. They might as well have placed a hidden camera in a real junkman's living room. Riveting slop.

Green Acres- Successful millionaire Oliver Douglas from New York City with a beautiful but stupid wife gives it all up for the simplistic farm life of Green Acres. Surrounded by useless morons he quickly realizes that he has created his own hell.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Noelle Page Guest
    Kelt, I'll agree on the others (though I like them anyway!) but Sanford and Son was great because of Redd Foxx---what a wonderful, funny, rascally character he created in Fred Sanford. As memorable as Archie Bunker in my book.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    WOW. I can't imagine meeting that guy. To think of seeing someone like Lucy in that way. Did he give any details????

Yes, I'd like to visit Lucy's grave. I guess it's nice they moved her to her hometown....but I'll bet all you hollywood folk miss having her there.
    It was a long time ago so I don't remember if he discussed any details. I know it sounds funny and selfish, but I always think, how dare they not bury certain people in Hollywood, because then I can't go and visit them easily.

knothere Guest
    mom has the series on dvds

leevancleef Guest
    Was there EVER better onscreen chemistry between four people? Just....perfection.

I was reading Kitty Kelly's book on Sinatra the other night (before I threw it out, I've decided I don't like him) and it had a great anecdote about Frank threatening Desi in a club for some stupid reason. Tough guy. Desi wasn't intimidated, basically told him to fuck off, "go have your drinks and relax," words to that effect. Frank backed right down. Good for Desi!
    im starting to think that Frank NEVER relaxed in his whole life.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderoze View Post

I completely agree!! HYSTERICAL!!

Death_Becomes_Her Guest
    I love lucy !! LOL I watch it every single day !!! Love her !!!!!!!

cachluv Guest
    I do like Just Shoot Me. I do not need to see 24 episodes in a row of Fresh Prince or George Lopez on TVLand, Nick@Nite and Nick@Night2.

I also liked the Joey Bishop Show, Mr Ed, the Dick Van Dyke show, and Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    I dont smoke but everything else rings with me.

Considering how much the advertisers break their necks to be a part of the so-called X-games and could care less about the World Series and other "old time" sprorting events, I be surprised that within a few years I Love Lucy will be seen anywhere on TV other than on ones DVD player and channels like TV Land will show "old" TV shows like Will & Grace and Friends.

And Survior and American Idol will be considered "classic" TV.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I dont smoke but everything else rings with me.

Considering how much the advertisers break their necks to be a part of the so-called X-games and could care less about the World Series and other "old time" sprorting events, I be surprised that within a few years I Love Lucy will be seen anywhere on TV other than on ones DVD player and channels like TV Land will show "old" TV shows like Will & Grace and Friends.

And Survior and American Idol will be considered "classic" TV.

God that's scary. I've thought the same thing. Let's hope we're wrong.

cachluv Guest
    "And Survior and American Idol will be considered "classic" TV."

---Tell me this is not a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMjp...eature=related

Daphne Guest
    Lucy--- Not read through all posts... but!! Lucy is what I will watch over anything! for many years (k 40 at least!!) I have gone into hysterical outbursts with her shows...My children and other's children just melt into tears with this show.. Dear God I JUST now saw the Ernie Ford from Bent Ford Tennessee and had to dang near go to the bathroom just from howling!! This 4some (frawley, vance, lucy, desi) were beyond brilliant!!!

I don't understand why TVLand feels the need to cut the
    I Love Lucy episodes. I know which parts aren't shown
    and they are sometimes the funniest lines. I'm sure
    the commercials have something to do with it, but
    frankly I can live without the commercials. If they are
    going to air these shows, please have the decency to leave
    them intact completely.