Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

LUCY & DESI divorced way back in 1960, years before they passed away.
    Both remarried (to others) .

Danny62 Guest
    Desi was cremated and his ashes scattered.

CCB72 Guest
    Yeah Lucy and Desi divorced long before they died. I heard they remained somewhat friendly towards the end, according to E True Hollywood Story. There was a home movie when Lucy and Desi were swimming in a pool together and looked happy

They were still in love with each other until the day they died. When she would speak of him after they divorced she'd always tear up and say, "God damn him".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CCB72 View Post
    Yeah Lucy and Desi divorced long before they died. I heard they remained somewhat friendly towards the end, according to E True Hollywood Story. There was a home movie when Lucy and Desi were swimming in a pool together and looked happy
    Could you see their hands above the water?

KristinEileen Guest
    She was such a spit fire...I know that they had their issues, because if the hadn't they wouldn't have divorced, but I think that they held a true admiration for one another, not just because they had children together but because they had a real love for one another.

Lucy & Desi Were Playing In The Pool With Their Little Grandson [lucie Arnaz's First Born Simon Luckinbill.] If You Didn't Know Better You'd Think They Were Still A Married Couple By The Way They Were Laughing And Joking In The Pool Lucy Saying Something To Desi "speak In Spanish" Lucy Even Rubbed Desi On The Head I Have It On Vhs On A 2 Hour Biography Of Lucy-desi Home Movies Lucie Arnaz Compiled Of Her Parents' Home Videos From Early In Their Marriage To Lucy,desi Playing With Little Lucie & Desi Jr. oh yeah Lucy & her mother's ashes were moved from Los Angeles to her hometown of Jamestown,NY and reburied next to Lucy's Father Lucie & Desi JR decided to move their mom & grandma's remains out there.
    Last edited by ROBERT63; 11-20-2007 at 01:14 PM.

8. 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    Lucy & Desi Were Playing In The Pool With Their Little Grandson [lucie Arnaz's First Born Simon Luckinbill.] If You Didn't Know Better You'd Think They Were Still A Married Couple By The Way They Were Laughing And Joking In The Pool Lucy Saying Something To Desi "speak In Spanish" Lucy Even Rubbed Desi On The Head I Have It On Vhs On A 2 Hour Biography Of Lucy-desi Home Movies Lucie Arnaz Compiled Of Her Parents' Home Videos From Early In Their Marriage To Lucy,desi Playing With Little Lucie & Desi Jr. oh yeah Lucy & her mother's ashes were moved from Los Angeles to her hometown of Jamestown,NY and reburied next to Lucy's Father Lucie & Desi JR decided to move their mom & grandma's remains out there.

Hear it is. It will make you tear up. It made me cry. But don't you dare tell any one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYs85r3aSo

1karenhb Guest
    Wow thanks for the link eca1094. I haven't seen this in years and had forgotten how sweet and tender it was. Yes I did tear up.

SistaSara Guest
    Last edited by SistaSara; 11-20-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Jaxxx Guest
    Thanks I sort of got lost in the Lucy videos.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    They were still in love with each other until the day they died. When she would speak of him after they divorced she'd always tear up and say, "God damn him".

LUCY was always crazy about DESI; the trouble was that he catted around, a lot ! She left him in the 1940s around the time that she was doing MY FAVORITE HUSBAND, the radio show that basically morphed into
    I LOVE LUCY on television. DESI went after her & eventually bedded her down the night before the divorce, so in effect the outcome was voided. True, she could be 'cold' and overly officious even in her personal life, however it wasn't DESI who filed. It was LUCY who filed all 3 times til the one in 1960 was followed through to fruition ! Though she cited other reasons like 'indifference, mental cruelty' etcetera in her divorce petition, it was DESI'S screwing around that was the main 'bone of contention' for LUCY.

CCB72 Guest
    The video on Youtube was what I remembered seeing on Biography...they were wonderful together...and are in heaven...

GEAUX LSU Guest
    i loved watching their show. its a shame they split up. and its a shame both of them did a show with two people who didn't like them. yes they are in heaven together

16. 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM

more from the bob hope book. evidently desi was the musical director for bobs show and "auditioned" the talent and sent the hotter specimens on to ski nose.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I love that clip of them....sometimes things are timeless, no matter how much water under the bridge.....

Quote Originally Posted by GEAUX LSU View Post
    i loved watching their show. its a shame they split up. and its a shame both of them did a show with two people who didn't like them. yes they are in heaven together
    That is a largely a misperception: VIVIAN VANCE didn't care for LUCY initially and in fact was quoted as having said to a friend not long after having started working with LUCY & DESI , "She may well be a bitch, but I'm going to learn to love that bitch !" In time the two became good friends. LUCY gave a long leash too where VIVIAN was concerned in respect to the fact that LUCY was VIVIAN'S boss; LUCY bailed her out when she (VV) had psychiatric hospitalizations. LUCY also went to bat for VIVIAN when she had all that trouble with PHIL OBER. The two women were close enough, maybe not bosom buddies, but they cared for one another.

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    That is a largely a misperception: VIVIAN VANCE didn't care for LUCY initially and in fact was quoted as having said to a friend not long after having started working with LUCY & DESI , "She may well be a bitch, but I'm going to learn to love that bitch !" In time the two became good friends. LUCY gave a long leash too where VIVIAN was concerned in respect to the fact that LUCY was VIVIAN'S boss; LUCY bailed her out when she (VV) had psychiatric hospitalizations. LUCY also went to bat for VIVIAN when she had all that trouble with PHIL OBER. The two women were close enough, maybe not bosom buddies, but they cared for one another.

ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A TABLOID ABOUT A BOOK WRITTEN ABOUT VIVIAN IT MENTIONED WHERE LUCY AND FRIEND MARY WICKES WENT TO VISIT A DYING VIVIAN VANCE IN 1979 THEY KNEW VIV WAS DYING AND THEY VISITED HER AND LUCY AND MARY LEFT VIVIAN KNOWING THEY'D NEVER SEE HER AGAIN MARY SAID SHE AND LUCY CRIED ALL THE WAY BACK.

leevancleef Guest

Lucy and Desi with Lucie and Desi jr

Elizabeth Guest

Lucy & Desi

Lucy and Desi--that video was extremely sweet and loving....you could see how much affection they still had for each other, and how easy it was for them to be around each other....thanks for posting the link!!!

Sonny and Cher had the same kind of relationship--they argued, they fought, but when Sonny died, Cher was *devastated*--this was the man she was in love with for the longest, and trusted implicitly.....it always bothered me that the media painted Cher's eulogy as a publicity stunt (like she needed the ink!!!), when it seemed very genuine and heartfelt to me....sorry--off topic.....

Jaxxx Guest
    Desi thought because he slept with hookers she should understand, that it wasn't cheating. I'm sad for them, but Lucy did what she had to do for herself, wish all of us women could be like her.

CCB72 Guest
    I believe Lucy and Desi are together in heaven, celebrating Thanksgiving with the Mertzes !

RoRo Guest
    I always loved this show and have a few VHS tapes they put out waaay back. You can see the love between Lucy and Desi......but back then men were men ya know and a macho latin? Ya kinda expect him to cat around. Now don't go getting on a racist high horse...I dated a latin blooded man for 7 years and let me tell you he was a walking woman magnet and he was the most macho man I ever met...I still love him <sigh> I'm sure Lucy did too...as the above mentioned man once told me..Just because two people love each other does not mean they can stay together

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Hear it is. It will make you tear up. It made me cry. But don't you dare tell any one.
    That was really nice.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this link. It sure did make me tear up too. What a treasure trove of Lucy and Desi related goodies there is to watch on youtube!

I have to add this too about Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. I read a story about how both worked show hard with the Desilu Productions. They were asked by a friend why they didn't slow down and enjoy there riches. There reply was that they couldn't. Why? Because it wasn't just them. They had to many people depending on them for there bread and butter, from the janitor to the stars, they couldn't let them or there famlies suffer. ( Sometimes the bitches and the assholes have to be what they have to be. We all need them)

Nowereman Guest
    We named our blue cattle dog Lucy after Lucille Ball in 1968.

Lucy

1968 - 1983

RIP

Jaxxx Guest
    My little granddaughter will be named Luci, Yeah.

AmyLea Guest
    The comedy on "I Love Lucy" was spectacular. My favorite all time episode is the Vitameatavegimen (or however you spell that!) episode. I still laugh until my stomach hurts every time I catch that show when chanel surfing. Was she a bitch? Probably, but man she was funny. I agree with one of the other posters...I don't think she ever got over Desi.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyLea View Post
    The comedy on "I Love Lucy" was spectacular. My favorite all time episode is the Vitameatavegimen (or however you spell that!) episode. I still laugh until my stomach hurts every time I catch that show when chanel surfing. Was she a bitch? Probably, but man she was funny. I agree with one of the other posters...I don't think she ever got over Desi.

Ooh yes..Great episode!!

Miss Swallow Guest
    I Love Lucy is in my top 3 favorite shows. It pains me to hear what a nasty person she was supposed to be. I don't like repeating what I've read, it is like backstabbing an old friend.

SugarKane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    [SIZE=3]Lucy was from a different generation. She was a professional and always on time with a good work ethic. The â??Bitchâ? claim was made when she had a young spoiled guest on her show. They broke for lunch and the guest was an hour late coming back. Lucy said something like â??I got rich and old in the business and if you want to do the same you will learn to read a watchâ??. It seems she wouldnâ??t pamper or coddle the new age kids like a lot of producers. I heard that on some show a few years back. [/SIZE]
    I actually read she was a bitch in patty duke's autobiograpy. patty dated desi jr, and supposedly lucy was such a bitch to her it destroyed their relationship.

Although I love lucy is pretty funny, I have never thought she was pretty...in fact i thought that desi was too good looking for her!

Noelle Page Guest
    Lucy was a knockout, a timeless beauty. And a TOTAL pro. Desi was wonderful, too, and a better comic than he got credit for. Bless them both.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    We named our blue cattle dog Lucy after Lucille Ball in 1968.

Lucy

1968 - 1983

RIP
    Teared up seeing the pic of your Lucy. Thanx for sharing. Years ago I worked in an office where a friend of a guy in our office looked liked Desi and he was cuban too. VGL! Every time he would come in all of us would yell Babalu and pound on our desks. A new girl told him he did look like Desi and told John, the guy in our office, he looked like Fred (he did, but no one wants to hear they look like Fred Mertz)!

Noelle Page Guest
    Any truth to the rumor Desi Jr. is Sean Astin's dad?

Daphne Guest
    naa, sean astin is that other guys son, patti duke and the guy from the addams family, name escapes me. I am such a huge Lucy fan.. in fact.. I found out today that her mother (who lived to a ripe old age) sat at EVERY SINGLE I love lucy taping and her voice in heard in several episodes!!

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    i honestly think her hostility was because of desi. even though they divorced and they both remarried, lucy still loved desi with all her heart. i remember an interview where her new hubby was sitting right next to her and all she could talk about was desi, even if some of the things she said weren't nice. she was still mad at him for all the fooling around, and the scorn never faded.
    I think you encapsulated my thoughts on that perfectly. Despite his infidelities I think Desi would have been a hard act to follow. Enormous talent and his screwing around must have hurt her very deeply.

To get to where she got she would have had to navigate some pretty high hurdles. So yes Lucy may have been as tough as nails but I found her to be tremendously talented.

A natural born comedienne, you just cannot manufacture talent like that, it comes from within, it is you.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I read that when asked what to do with her remains after she died, Vivian answered.."Oh, I don't know, surprise me!". That's cool.
    Totally!

Yes, thank you for posting that video. I've sure had my share of tears today. But it was sweet to watch them in the pool. I was watching the episode where Ricky thinks he's balding on Friday with my residents at work. It is true, when you watch them on t.v. you are just taken in by their on screen magic.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino009 View Post
    Yes, thank you for posting that video. I've sure had my share of tears today. But it was sweet to watch them in the pool. I was watching the episode where Ricky thinks he's balding on Friday with my residents at work. It is true, when you watch them on t.v. you are just taken in by their on screen magic.
    Yes, it was truly magic. I've been watching Lucy on and off all weekend on TV Land. I just never get tired of watching that show. Timeless comedy it is.

Desi's final resting place

Does anyone know where? I know he was cremated, but what was done with his ashes?

-K.

Suzanne30 Guest
    According to this site, his ashes were scattered at sea.

http://www.lucy-desi.com/info/faq.html

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    naa, sean astin is that other guys son, patti duke and the guy from the addams family, name escapes me.
    John Astin

Anyone remember spotting Lucy in the 1934 Three Stooges short "Three Little Pigskins"? According to imdb.com that was one of her early credited roles...I think I remember seeing her name in the credits but not sure. Talk about excellent training on the job! Soitenley.

I read when William Frawley died, Vivian Vance said, "Let's open up a
    bottle of champagne". I don't blame her for not wanting to do a show
    with him after I Love Lucy. Although there are two sides to everything,
    it sounds like he was pretty mean to her.

I read Phillip Ober physically abused Vivian and one time Lucy told Vivian that
    if she didn't divorce Phillip, Lucy would divorce him for her.

Noelle Page Guest
    Was it on FAD that I read Kay Ballard's account of a hike with Lucy? Suddenly the two ladies encountered a coyote or some animal....Lucy screamed "Fuck off!" at it---and the poor creature hightailed it outta there, tail between legs.

Nevertheless Lucy has got to be one of the most beloved celebrities ever.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    They had a I Love Lucy marathon on this weekend, I can't recall what channel, and they are still good today.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Cesar Romero once performed 'oral love' on Desi!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Was it on FAD that I read Kay Ballard's account of a hike with Lucy? Suddenly the two ladies encountered a coyote or some animal....Lucy screamed "Fuck off!" at it---and the poor creature hightailed it outta there, tail between legs.

Nevertheless Lucy has got to be one of the most beloved celebrities ever.

I heard that story too. I think it was Kaye Ballard. I don't remember where she said that. OMG how funny is that? Lucy was a force not to be reckoned with.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Mythbusters just did a show on the rumor Lucy heard radio signals in her fillings. For years everyone thought she was crazy & made it up as a publicity stunt. They determined that she had new fillings in her teeth & if she had eaten spicy food her saliva would have been plentiful enough to make a charge that she would interpret to be radio signals. The part about finding an underground Japanese bunker was bunk though.