Page 1 of 15 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucille Ball

Lucille Ball

I know she wasn't the warmest person in the world, but I still love Lucy. Have you read that book, The Other Side of Ethel Mertz? Vivian Vance was a wonderful and strong woman. I remember seeing her on the Dean Martin Roasts show back in 1979, shortly before she died. Desi was soooo dreamy back in the 30's and 40's. Bill, well..he was Fred.

candleinthewind Guest
    Desi was one smooth cat. He doesn't get enough credit as a tv innovator. Not only was he a very successful producer and mogul (Desilu produced Bonanza among other things) but he pioneered the three camera set up basically inventing the modern sitcom. TV shows used to be filmed with a stationary camera and looked like a play. He was also concerned about how I Love Lucy looked on camera. Because the show was filmed in black and white, he had the sets decorated in various shades of gray. The costumes were also primarily white, gray, and black for sharp contrast on camera.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I've always read that Lucy was a bitch.

I read somewhere that Vivian Vance really liked the Gay boys - and even married one!

I really liked Lucy in one of her final roles, playing a homeless woman in "Stone Pillow" - great movie!

Guest Guest
    I love Lucy.........literally. Me and her share the same last name! As for her being a bitch we have that in common too. I should have been her spawn only without the red hair.

I read that when asked what to do with her remains after she died, Vivian answered.."Oh, I don't know, surprise me!". That's cool.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I was watching a 1943 movie with Lucy in it Friday night. Talk about a knockout! What a beautiful woman Lucy was back then.

erin Guest
    is it true that lucy made viv sign a contract with the stipulation that viv remain 10 or 15 pounds heavier than lucy for the show?

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    For my money, Carol Burnett is funnier than Lucy. Also Patricia Rutledge of "Keeping Up Appearances." Still, I don't dislike Lucy.

She must have a crackerjack lawyer draw up her will, ya know. Her kids got NONE of her talent. It's spooky when you think of it.

I LOVE Patricia Rutledge! Carol is awesome, too. I was raised on her.

poppie Guest
    I saw Lucy in person when she did her show at Clarmont Colleges. Some questions asked were by people planted in audience; some questions were not. Lucy was a real ball buster with some of her answers.

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    is it true that lucy made viv sign a contract with the stipulation that viv remain 10 or 15 pounds heavier than lucy for the show?
    I don't think there was a contract, more like an understanding that Lucy was to be the glamourous one and that Vivian would be dressed frumpy. William Frawley was WAY older than Ethel.

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    William Frawley was WAY older than Ethel.
    And those two HATED each other off-camera too!

I don't think there's one episode of I love Lucy I didn't have recorded at one point or another.
    Other than Marilyn, Lucille Ball is definitely my other favorite actress from that era.
    It was always so sad to hear of the many problems each actor had in their real life, or even with one of their co-workers offset. However they were all damn good at what they did.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I know she wasn't the warmest person in the world, but I still love Lucy. Have you read that book, The Other Side of Ethel Mertz? Vivian Vance was a wonderful and strong woman. I remember seeing her on the Dean Martin Roasts show back in 1979, shortly before she died. Desi was soooo dreamy back in the 30's and 40's. Bill, well..he was Fred.
    Yes I read that book too. Glad she and Lucy made up before Vivian Vance
    died.
    I remember seeing Vivian Vance on a episode of the tv show Rhoda.

Bellfire Guest
    Lucy and Fred were Leo's and Vivian and Ricky were picese. The ladies faught but Lucy liked Fred. Ethol Didn't like Fred and Desi put that drunk clause in Fred's contract. (Don't you hate hearing about those contracts where you control the actors life lol.)

JeffD Guest

Lucy's star

About 7 years ago I was taking soil samples and doing site elevations for a possible new Krispy Kremes doughnuts on Hollywood Blvd. I looked down at the sidewalk and I was standing right on top of Lucy's "Walk of Fame" star "Lucille Ball". I almost jumped out of my work boots.

If any of you Death Hags are in town and want to see it, it's on the SW corner of Hollywood Blvd & N. Gower St., about 20 steps west of the SW corner.

http://http://www.mapquest.com/maps/...te=ca&zipcode=
    Last edited by JeffD; 10-08-2007 at 05:23 PM.

I loved the whole cast...I honestly couldn't see anyone else play Ethel Mertz besides Vivian Vance. She seemed pretty nice. Yeah I know Lucy was not the nicest person in real life, but I do think she brought great comic ingenuity. Though they do say that alot of comics live(d) sad lives.

knothere Guest
    Lucy was the first woman producer in Hollywood, so explaines her personality, if she was a pushover she wouldn't have been as successfull. She's supossidly haunting her Roxbury Ave home.

I heard also that she's haunting their former studio too, and that she is one real mean spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentino009 View Post
    I heard also that she's haunting their former studio too, and that she is one real mean spirit.
    The poor girl is probably having a nicotine fit! She was a chain-smoker by the way.

erin Guest
    i honestly think her hostility was because of desi. even though they divorced and they both remarried, lucy still loved desi with all her heart. i remember an interview where her new hubby was sitting right next to her and all she could talk about was desi, even if some of the things she said weren't nice. she was still mad at him for all the fooling around, and the scorn never faded.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Ohh, yes.I love Lucy. I watch her everyday still. She was a pearl.. lol. Plus, I love bitches.
    ~SinKitty

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    Lucy was the first woman producer in Hollywood, so explaines her personality, if she was a pushover she wouldn't have been as successfull.
    [SIZE=3]Yes, bitch is often the popular term used to describe women who don't take crap and are successful in the business world. This kind of thing is still alive and kicking, as we all know, but was especially hard for certain people to take back in Lucille Ball's day. She may have been difficult but I'll bet the perception of her was exaggerated to an extent and had more than a little to do with her ability to do what she did so well (they were expecting maybe Lucy Ricardo? ).[/SIZE]

jester joker Guest
    I love Lucy...always have and probably always will. Back in the late 70's, on SCTV (Second City TV), I remember a sketch they had where an actress/comedienne was portraying an old Lucille Ball and used the funniest, raspiest voice and was tokin' on a cig. If I remember correctly, it was a scene during the Christmas season and when she talked, all the young kids were freaked out!

Bellfire Guest
    Usually I would agree with BeeCee's comment but I heard in more than one bio about Lucille Ball that made her sound insecure. She insisted that the Ethol character not lose the extra weight. Lucy wanted to be the sleak thin one and wanted Vivan's charater to look douty and frumpy. It was partly from insecurity but I think for the most part it had to do with Vivian being so much younger than Bill. (25 years)

The weight made her look older except in that one skit where the two ladies dressed up to fool their husbands. Vivian was a lot better looking than Lucy in her outfit and I think Lucy knew this and that was why Ethol never wore anything else attractive on the show.

onehunglow Guest
    [SIZE=3]Lucy was from a different generation. She was a professional and always on time with a good work ethic. The “Bitch” claim was made when she had a young spoiled guest on her show. They broke for lunch and the guest was an hour late coming back. Lucy said something like ‘I got rich and old in the business and if you want to do the same you will learn to read a watch’. It seems she wouldn’t pamper or coddle the new age kids like a lot of producers. I heard that on some show a few years back. Hmm Scott has a piece of her house? Maybe that is his guest! [/SIZE]

knothere Guest
    hmmmmm Scott's house guest......smellls like another thread

Bellfire Guest
    Any of you heard of nndb.com they say some stuff that makes you really think. I read the Desi Arnez and Caezar Romero were into one another in a most personal way. I wonder why it too so long to come out and if it is true?

I've read about Desi and Cesar elsewhere, Bellfire. Supposedly happened when Cesar was a guest star on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    I've read about Desi and Cesar elsewhere, Bellfire. Supposedly happened when Cesar was a guest star on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour.

hehehe I was picturing it happening on show between commercial breaks. (Probally the one for some cigerrette company lol.)

Daphne Guest
    I love Lucy has got to be my favorite show.. I revisit it every few years and start cracking up again, the 4 of the cast members were just brilliant! Nobody says much about Bill Frawley's talent, but he had it! I just love that show, I laugh at all of them!

different kind of girl Guest
    LOVE Lucille Ball and I Love Lucy is so classic. I can turn on the show at any point in any episode and smile. Something about watching the show brings me "home." Know what I mean? They're so comforting. She was such a knock out and Desi was a total hottie.

I watched a Barbara Walters special where she interviewed Lucy along with her new husband and Barbara said you could tell she still loved Desi. It hadn't ended even though the marriage was over.

34. 10-16-2007, 06:56 PM
    Reason
    duplicate

I agree totally Diff. Just like MASH. It reminds me of being young and worry free. (Sigh)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

WendyK Guest
    I still watch I Love Lucy to this day!! I always thought Fred was a jackass tightwad!I always felt Ricky Ricardo was doing more then playing the conga at his club then what he led on to ( ya get what I mean )LOL

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I was watching a 1943 movie with Lucy in it Friday night. Talk about a knockout! What a beautiful woman Lucy was back then.

I agree - her photos from that time period are just stunning. Even casual shots I have seen.....she is something else.

how many times did lucy and bob hope appear together?

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Ricky and the Joker? I never would have guessed.

Kathyf Guest
    I really loved that show. Sometimes it would be better if we did not know every little thing.

onehunglow Guest
    Oddman out. I never found her funny. I can't think of one time when she made me laugh. Sight gags and all. She even said she was not funny but had writers who were. I do recall my mother saying people had a fit because she married out of her race.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Oddman out. I never found her funny. I can't think of one time when she made me laugh. Sight gags and all. She even said she was not funny but had writers who were. I do recall my mother saying people had a fit because she married out of her race.
    I'm glad you brought that up because when I say things like this people put me on iggy. I always wondered why they considered him to be outside her race. Ricardo Montaban was never considered anything but white hispanic and that was what Desi was yet people called his marrige to Lucy mixed. (I was just thinking about writing about this but I'm so glad you did first.) Lucy wasn't really fun but she reacted well. That nose on fire bit was an accident and she just went with it. When she tried her finally series everyone could tell the magic was gone. She was better in comedy dramas like "His, Mine, and Ours" She was ok in television but came across better in movies. Now answer my question.

43. 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM

JeffD Guest
    John Wayne married into the same race as Lucy did, 3 Times.

My Mom loved Lucy. Lucy kept her company during the day while my Mom was taking care of 6 kids. I am fond of Lucy also!

Lobsters Guest
    Vitameatavegamin! BEST.SKIT.EVER!

It's so tasty too!

kafenervosa Guest
    I love Lucy, too. She's the greatest and there will never be another! I have also heard on TV bios that she didn't know what was funny. The writers wrote it and she did it. She was a great physical comic. Have any of you seen the biography special done on her? They have a video of her and Desi in the pool with their first grandchild. It was the last time they were filmed together before Desi died. It made me cry.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    John Wayne married into the same race as Lucy did, 3 Times.

My Mom loved Lucy. Lucy kept her company during the day while my Mom was taking care of 6 kids. I am fond of Lucy also!

I know and that's just it the race is white lol. They are ethnicly Spanish but the race is white.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were one hot couple. Lucy was beautiful, talented, energetic. Desi was handsome and smart as a whip. He knew everything about how to film and produce a TV show. He pretty much taught everybody else. I don't think he'll ever get enough credit for that.

Vivian and Bill were total professionals. Both were talented and funny.

ILL will always be a classic. If only todays Hollywood could learn from them. Heavy sigh.

Daphne Guest
    quick note:

2 of MY fav episodes were when Ricky thought he was going bald (lucy gave him this elixir that was hysterical)
    and when cousin Ernie from bent ford, tn. came to stay with them..HA!!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    quick note:

2 of MY fav episodes were when Ricky thought he was going bald (lucy gave him this elixir that was hysterical)
    and when cousin Ernie from bent ford, tn. came to stay with them..HA!!

Yes! OMG we could be hear all day and night going over our favorite episodes! LOL.

SistaSara Guest

Lucy and Desi not buried together?

Does anyone know why Lucy and Desi aren't buried together? They stay married until death right?

Jazbabee Guest
    No.....she was married to Gary Morton when she died