Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: James Dean

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    i fell in love, if not lust, with Dean after watching Giant. And I could'nt care less if he was straight, gay, bi, or screwing german shephards. I just love his acting.

I will have to agree with that statement as well!!!

jimmy's One Guest
    I decided to buy the papers from the site for $15.00 us dollars
    it might be worthwhile looking through. ..

I will let you know when I get them if there is anything interesting in them

Dylgem22 Guest
    With Jimmie's 53rd death anniversary coming up on Sept. 30th, anyone have any plans to visit the site? Or his grave in Indiana? I would love to be able to visit one on that date, but I know I will make it out to either (or both!) someday!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredMirror View Post
    Don't know so much about the bondage thing (nor the so-called S&M side of his sexuality ie. according to Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon the keloid scars found on Dean's body at his autopsy was 'proof' that he liked to have lighted cigarette ends stubbed on his body. Make of that whatever you will). However.....I think from the books which have been written about him the general consensus was that he was almost certainly bisexual and maybe, just maybe gay (though I'd say that was arguable). But that's no big deal; many actors and actresses experiment with members of their own gender. Look at Brando, for instance, a notorious, full-bloodied womaniser yet slept with men along the way, as well. Garbo, too, and Dietrich and Monty Clift and allegedly some of today's biggest stars.
    IMO, by and large, Kenneth Anger is full of shit. Not only concerning Dean, but the whole book.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Oh Pshaw Guest

Fairmount

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    With Jimmie's 53rd death anniversary coming up on Sept. 30th, anyone have any plans to visit the site? Or his grave in Indiana? I would love to be able to visit one on that date, but I know I will make it out to either (or both!) someday!!
    I've been lurking a bit reading the boards for a while now.

I'm a James Dean fan. Have been since high school, way back in the 80s. On our senior skip day, we headed to Fairmount and visited his grave. This was shortly before it was stolen in the late 80s and turned up in Ft. Wayne behind a dumpster.

I'm only about 45 minutes from Fairmount, but I've never made it their festival in the end of Sept. A lady I know, though, goes every year, and has a website here http://www.deaners.net/.

I was fortunate to meet Dean's teacher, Adeline Mart Nall in 86 or 87 at a play about his life in Ft. Wayne. I also share my birthday with Dean.

Anyway, thought I'd de-lurk and say hey.

Kel

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    I plan on being at the site of his memorial with the three. I don't live too far. I just hope I can make it. I'm planning on visiting his grave (FINALLY) next year. But I know I'm gonna cry if I see his grave. *sigh* But like you I will make it to both!!

jimmy's One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh Pshaw View Post

I'm a James Dean fan. Have been since high school, way back in the 80s. On our senior skip day, we headed to Fairmount and visited his grave. This was shortly before it was stolen in the late 80s and turned up in Ft. Wayne behind a dumpster.

I'm only about 45 minutes from Fairmount, but I've never made it their festival in the end of Sept. A lady I know, though, goes every year, and has a website here http://www.deaners.net/.

I was fortunate to meet Dean's teacher, Adeline Mart Nall in 86 or 87 at a play about his life in Ft. Wayne. I also share my birthday with Dean.

Kel

hello
    Glad you decided to de- lurk and join us here on jimmys thread

Kel
    Welcome to the forum! Please stay de lurked! Ahahahaha. BTW I love your alias.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dylgem22 Guest

Kel
    Just wanted to say welcome to you !! Thats neat you live so close .. I would love to make the festival too .. but I will, it's in my plans!

Oh Pshaw Guest
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome. =)

I just told my husband that we should go to the festival this year, pointing out that they have a car show, and he'd probably really enjoy that. He didn't seem too opposed to the idea.

miz rosebud Guest
    i visited the crash site this weekend for the first time.i saw the memorial at teh jack ranch cafe. It was cool.They had alot of posters and we bought a sign.my hubby is a big fan.I think he was a hottie.poor guy. i read that marlon brando didnt liek how he was trying to be him.I think he just looked up to him.elvis loved james dean I bet james wasnt offended by that.

Queenofthehighway Guest
    I'm also delurking

I used to live in the Central Valley, and visited friends often at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. We always went via 41 (by Corcoran prison, by the way, where my cousin is a prison guard watching over Charlie Manson), and I have to say, that intersection of 41 and 46 was always frightening. I hated driving back through there at night; those hills are hauntingly quiet and dark.

I might be wrong about this, but it seems like the last time I drove through there they'd put a traffic light at the intersection. Would have made it much safer. I'm not positive, though... it's been a few years.

Incidentally, my grandmother was buried a few weeks ago in the same cemetery in Tulare that Turnupseed was buried in.

Shano Guest
    I am a huge Jimmy fan. My kids, hubby and I went to the Model T Centennial (yes the car!) in Richmond in July so we made a side trip to Fairmount. I had never been to his grave before. I wrote a story in the Model T newsletter about the trip. Here it is!

A Story That Has Nothing to do With Model T??s
    Humor me while I fill you in on a side trip that we took on the way to the Centennial.
    I was about 14 years old when I first saw Rebel Without A Cause. Since then I have watched that movie and all others that star the American icon James Dean no less then 500 times. Yes, obsession is a problem for me. Especially when you are talking about James Dean. Now we know all about this beautiful face that graced movie screens. All of the good and the bad. With Jimmy the bad never really mattered to me. I always thought of him as being the guy next door, my first crush on a star.
    On Sept. 30, 1955, a 24 year old young man died on a lonely stretch of road in a Porsche Spyder 550. The Porsche had been purchased with his earnings from the yet to be finished movie, Giant. Custom car artist George Barris had just recently finished the personalization of the car for Dean. Barris painted the words ?? ??Lil Bastard ? and the number 130 on the car. At 5:45pm at the intersection of 46 and 41 near Cholame, CA. Dean??s Porsche collided with a Ford Sedan driven by a young man named Donald Turnupseed. While Dean??s passenger Rolf Wutherich (his mechanic) and Turnupseed survived the accident Jimmy did not. Ironically two events leading up to the accident didn??t raise red flags in Dean??s mind. At 3:30pm just 2 hours before the crash he received a speeding ticket and on Sept. 17, 1955, 13 days before his death, he made a 30 second commercial for the National Highway Safety Commission with Gig Young about the dangers of driving too fast. When he signs off at the end of the commercial he says, ??Take it easy driving. The life you save might be mine.?
    East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, and Giant are what you probably know about Dean??s acting career. But did you know he starred in many TV movies, TV shows, Commercials, and on Broadway? Dean was accepted into the famed Actors Studio in 1953 and became a student of ??Method Acting?. He was one of only seven selected that year into the studio.

Born in Marion, IN. on February 8, 1931, Dean was raised from the age of nine by his aunt and uncle on their Fairmont, IN. farm after the death of his mother. In 1975 Fairmount, IN. and Marion, IN. took each other to court over who really could ??claim? James Dean. This fact tends to make me a bit sad.
    Fairmount is 52 miles north of Indianapolis. Like most small towns it seems time has stood still. The area is largely unchanged since Jimmy walked the streets of downtown. Each September, Fairmount hosts the James Dean Festival that brings fans from all over the world to remember the Rebel that touched a generation. The forever teenager. The voice of youth.
    The James Dean Gallery is located in downtown Fairmount. This was our first stop. As you walk into the Victorian home that houses the collection you get a feeling that you are no longer in the Hollywood dream that has become James Dean. You are in the reality that Dean lived. From personal letters, to movie props, to clothing. Pieces from Jimmy??s life are displayed in glass cases along with antiques, and novelties.
    Our next stop; the Fairmount Historical Society. Fairmount is also the hometown of Jim Davis, cartoonist and creator of Garfield. The Historical Society has a small exhibit for Davis. What is intriguing is their James Dean display. Baby clothes, movie costumes, 2 of Dean??s motorcycles, high school year books, personal letters home to his family, boots, and even some of Jimmy??s artwork (yes he was a really good artist!) all donated to the Society by the Dean family. In one display case; all of his membership cards to? car clubs!
    Both the elderly lady from the Historical Society and a nice gentleman from the Gallery told us how to find Dean??s grave. If you don??t get directions or have a map (they give them out at both places we stopped) you would drive right past the rural cemetery. Very peaceful and quaint, the Park Cemetery is situated between corn fields. They have only 2 small signs up with an arrow pointing you in the direction of the Dean family plot. You are not sure which is Jimmy??s grave until you do some searching. It is here where you truly are hit with the reality of James Byron Dean. The small town boy, who lost his Momma too young, who struggled in NY before making it to the big screen, then just like his Mother his life is cut short, almost before it could really begin. Standing at his grave you tend to forget what has been written in the 50 or so books about his life and death. Fact or fiction we aren??t sure, only James Dean knew who he really was. It seems easy for death to bring out both good and bad stories whether true or not. Looking down on the simple headstone I saw the name James Bryon Dean. He was not the movie icon of the 1950??s, he was not the careless youth that authors have written about since 1965, he was at that moment for me a farm boy, from Indiana.

Did you know?
    ? In Japan James Dean??s image has been used so successfully to sell Levi jeans that all billboards now produced for the company in that country only have Dean??s face pictured. They do not need the word Levi for consumers to know what is being advertised.
    ? Failure Analysis Associates, re-constructed and re-created all details of the accident and concluded that Dean was traveling 55 to 56 m.p.h. when the fateful accident occurred. He had not been speeding.
    ? Dean also worked as a "stunt tester" on the game show "Beat the Clock", testing the safety of the stunts that some of the studio audience members would later perform.
    ? His father inherited his estate, which was valued at the time of his death at $96,438.44 after taxes. The bulk of the estate came from his life insurance policy as well as $6,750 in insurance claims from his Porsche. His checking account had a balance of $3,256.48.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenofthehighway View Post
    I'm also delurking

I used to live in the Central Valley, and visited friends often at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. We always went via 41 (by Corcoran prison, by the way, where my cousin is a prison guard watching over Charlie Manson), and I have to say, that intersection of 41 and 46 was always frightening. I hated driving back through there at night; those hills are hauntingly quiet and dark.

I might be wrong about this, but it seems like the last time I drove through there they'd put a traffic light at the intersection. Would have made it much safer. I'm not positive, though... it's been a few years.

Incidentally, my grandmother was buried a few weeks ago in the same cemetery in Tulare that Turnupseed was buried in.
    Fresno...such a funny word for a silly town in which I was raised. I know the Central Valley too well...don't miss the fog and dreary winter

deathaddict Guest
    I saw the film Rebel without a Cause a few weeks ago. It was a really sad film. i wonder what he would be doing now had he lived. Would he be still in acting or would he be retired from acting. There has been talk that the film was cursed because 4 of the stars died young, natalie wood, dean, nick adams and of course sal mineo.

I just watched the James Dean biographical movie with James Franco playing Dean. I loved it...except DVD was damaged and wouldn't play the last 20 minutes...not that I don't know how Dean's life ended. I loved Franco's portrayal of Dean, any other opinions out there. I especially loved the scene of him and Pier Angeli in bed while they were hiding away in Miami - smokin!!! I hope I can get a copy of a better DVD so I can see the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Dylgem22 Guest
    ^^ that was my favorite part of that movie too!!! That scene was soooo sexy!! I really loved the job James Franco did portraying JD .. that made me an even bigger Franco fan .. I had already heard of him from other movies, but since I was a huge fan of Dean already, that just made my opinion of him skyrocket!! ...

^^ that was my favorite part of that movie too!!! That scene was soooo sexy!! I really loved the job James Franco did portraying JD .. that made me an even bigger Franco fan .. I had already heard of him from other movies, but since I was a huge fan of Dean already, that just made my opinion of him skyrocket!! ...
    I'm really starting to adore me some James Franco *marches off the Adonis group to add pics*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

krypy22 Guest
    Wasn't he gay?

deathaddict Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krypy22 View Post
    Wasn't he gay?
    I think it was more of a bi sexual thing. He had an affair with pier angelli. there were stories about him having affairs with men. but he never actually came out and admitted anything.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm really starting to adore me some James Franco *marches off the Adonis group to add pics*

I am right behind you!! I can't believe I haven't posted pics of him or JD yet!!

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krypy22 View Post
    Wasn't he gay?

If he was, who cares?! He was still a hottie and I still admire him .. not like he can prove or disprove it now anyways!! LOL

deathaddict Guest
    If he was, who cares?! He was still a hottie and I still admire him .. not like he can prove or disprove it now anyways!! LOL
    yeah he was the brad pitt of his day. The films he starred in were defining for their time. i wonder what he would have made of todays crop. Would he still be acting. Or maybe hed retire and be an acting coach.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathaddict View Post
    yeah he was the brad pitt of his day. The films he starred in were defining for their time. i wonder what he would have made of todays crop. Would he still be acting. Or maybe hed retire and be an acting coach.

Ugh .. comparing him to Brad Pitt .. LOL (I never found Brad Pitt to be good looking or a great actor, but thats just my opinion) .. but I often wonder what type of movie rolls Jimmie would have accepted, and would he have stayed famous, or fizzled out?! I wonder what he would look like now at 77 years old!! I bet he would have aged well ..

deathaddict Guest
    Ugh .. comparing him to Brad Pitt .. LOL (I never found Brad Pitt to be good looking or a great actor, but thats just my opinion) .. but I often wonder what type of movie rolls Jimmie would have accepted, and would he have stayed famous, or fizzled out?! I wonder what he would look like now at 77 years old!! I bet he would have aged well ..
    LMAO he'd probably be like Rob Redford.

Dylgem22 Guest
    LMAO he'd probably be like Rob Redford.

Now thats better!! LOL

mike Guest
    I could care less about Dean's sex life.He was a great actor and there is no telling what he would have went on to do later in life.I could have easily seen him in Easy Rider ( i think Dennis Hopper said that too.)I could have also seen him in One flew over the cuckcoo's nest too. Casper Van Dien also play a good James Dean too.

deathaddict Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I could care less about Dean's sex life.He was a great actor and there is no telling what he would have went on to do later in life.I could have easily seen him in Easy Rider ( i think Dennis Hopper said that too.)I could have also seen him in One flew over the cuckcoo's nest too. Casper Van Dien also play a good James Dean too.
    yeah casper looks a bit like jimmy dean. He was the original rebel. I think he could have been in Easy Rider too. a lot of that was probably modelled on jimmy dean.

Mrs. James Dean Guest

Jimmy was and is in a class of his own, in my opinion. Wich of course is very biased! *look at my screen name*

deathaddict Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    Jimmy was and is in a class of his own, in my opinion. Wich of course is very biased! *look at my screen name*
    there'll only be one jimmy dean!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    there'll only be one jimmy dean!
    AMEN to that!!

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    AMEN to that!!

I love this MJD!!! Thanks for posting it!!

Warren Beath Guest
    Is anyone going to Cholame on the 27th?

Dylgem22 Guest
    ^^ I have plans to go out there someday .. I would love to do it on the anniversary though .. Sept. 30th .. but just being able to go out there, I would be happy enough with that!!

Warren Beath Guest

27th

I think I'll go out on the 27th and stick around until late afternoon. Matt Grant is the grandson of the late postmistress and he's going to be out there with all her scrapbooks, which are interesting. It's kind of cool to walk the old highway east of the intersection. They filmed the Halicki movie "The Junkman" around the monument-- Halicki had a ranch near the crash site. Matt's parents both were extras in the movie, which is out on a good video, now.

Turnupseed wrote a letter to a friend, a year after the accident, where he griped about the new parts he had installed in the Ford, and which he lost. He came back and salvaged some stuff, and took a few pictures of the cars in the garage, including the cowling of Dean's car that read "Little Bastard."

Warren Beath Guest

whokilledjamesdean.com

....has pictures of the 2005 anniversary.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Warren -- I've been dying to go there for years. I was planning on going on the day of his anniversary though the 30th. When is she going to be there? On the 27th only??

heav85 Guest
    I just got back from fairmount yesterday. I was there for 2 days but couldn't stay for the memorial service on tuesday. But I love the town, and all the people were so nice. I think the woman who was working at the museum knew him pretty well, because she was showing us some things in the cases and was calling him Jimmy, and the tone she used was like she knew him. And some other guy that worked there was telling us about EVERYTHING in there. lol he said he was 8 when James graduated, and that James was like nominated the best something or other in basketball in the state or something. I have photos from the run and the festival. I also found his mothers grave which is in the biggest graveyard i've ever seen in my life. I put flowers on her grave because she didn't have any. You can go to my myspace page and when you click on my photos its the last album there. myspace.com/queer_pud

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heav85 View Post
    I just got back from fairmount yesterday. I was there for 2 days but couldn't stay for the memorial service on tuesday. But I love the town, and all the people were so nice. I think the woman who was working at the museum knew him pretty well, because she was showing us some things in the cases and was calling him Jimmy, and the tone she used was like she knew him. And some other guy that worked there was telling us about EVERYTHING in there. lol he said he was 8 when James graduated, and that James was like nominated the best something or other in basketball in the state or something. I have photos from the run and the festival. I also found his mothers grave which is in the biggest graveyard i've ever seen in my life. I put flowers on her grave because she didn't have any. You can go to my myspace page and when you click on my photos its the last album there. myspace.com/queer_pud

I would love to go to the Festival! I was just there in July and saw Jimmy's, Ethel's, and Winton's but I missed his Mother's grave! Where is it at?!

Funny, the older woman at the historical society was probably the same lady that I talked to... she really acted like she knew him well. To me it seems like time has stood still in that little town.

I totally thought that the cemetery was tiny! I guess you can tell I am from the city! Great pics on your myspace!! Thank you for sharing!

heav85 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    I would love to go to the Festival! I was just there in July and saw Jimmy's, Ethel's, and Winton's but I missed his Mother's grave! Where is it at?!

Funny, the older woman at the historical society was probably the same lady that I talked to... she really acted like she knew him well. To me it seems like time has stood still in that little town.

I totally thought that the cemetery was tiny! I guess you can tell I am from the city! Great pics on your myspace!! Thank you for sharing!
    She's buried in Marion. Thats where we stayed, in a super 8. If I didn't find the directions to where she was in the cemetary, I would have never ever found her, because all the head stones are flat. But yes the cemetary she's in is like 4 times bigger than the one James is in. I wish they would put her with him, its sad shes alone.

Snudgie Guest
    53 years since Jimmy left us...Hope you're having fun wherever you are! xxx

Mrs. James Dean Guest

"If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, if he can live on after he's dead, then maybe he was a great man."
    -- James Dean

May you rest in peace you beautiful man! Love yah!

Guest Guest
    Rest in peace James..................

heav85 Guest
    i wish i could be at the memorial service.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Definitely thinking of him today!! I wish I was able to be at some memorial service for him too, but hopefully someday I will make it!! RIP Cutie!!

*sigh* RIP James ol' buddy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I am thinking of you on this day Jimmy, rest in sweet peace....

jimmy's One Guest
    I Love This

Dylgem22 Guest
    ^^ I love that collage too!!! Thank you for posting that!!

heav85 Guest
    I put it on my myspace, if no one cares. haha