Thread: Preston Tucker

Preston Tucker

Preston Thomas Tucker (September 21, 1903 â?? December 26, 1956) was an American automobile designer and entrepreneur.
    He is most remembered for his 1948 Tucker Torpedo, an innovative automobile which was unsuccessful, but which introduced many features that have since become widely used in modern cars. His legacy was documented in the 1988 movie, Tucker: The Man and His Dream. Starring Jeff Bridges, the film was produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

If he could have designed cars, it would have been amazing to see what and how they would have looked like.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Jaxxx Guest
    Man before his time...................

Forever-27 Guest
    He had a dream. His dream of building the perfect car was squashed by the other 3 auto companies. Only 51 Tuckers exist today.

The Tucker that was at RM's Monterey California auction sold for $ 1,125,500 , yep thats over one million dollars. Tucker number 1050 is at Dicks Classic garage in San Marcos Texas. That car has 0.4 original miles logged on the odometer.

He must have been a awesome guy to know. Interesting how visionaries get squashed time and time again.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Forever-27 Guest
    His Tucker was literally decades ahead of its time. It had factory seat belts as standard equipment , crumple zone in case of a wreck, the entire instrument panel was actual gauages in front of the driver, They had comfort ride where the car would level itself out in case of fat people or lots of luggage for a more comfortable ride, the cyclops headlamp would move left or right when the headlamps were on when the driver made turns , releys and switches were in the cars rims so a light would come on on the cars instrument panel in case air in the tires was low. All of these were unhead of in 1948 when the Tucker first rolled off the factory in Chicago. I believe Jay Leno owns one of these cars.

Lots of things on the 1948 Tucker are used in todays cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    He had a dream. His dream of building the perfect car was squashed by the other 3 auto companies. Only 51 Tuckers exist today.

The Tucker that was at RM's Monterey California auction sold for $ 1,125,500 , yep thats over one million dollars. Tucker number 1050 is at Dicks Classic garage in San Marcos Texas. That car has 0.4 original miles logged on the odometer.
    Thnaks for the image Forever27. Im gonna check out the museum this coming weekend.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

jaylene Guest
    Loved the movie with Jeff Bridges. He put more thought into that car than anything
    the big 3 came up with.