Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

The Green Mile, Misery and The Shining - my favorites made into movies.

The Stand is my all time favorite. I didn't think they did a very good job with the movie IT. Seemed more for kids than adults, plus it was not exactly true to the book.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I love Stephen King. Thanks to my mom , who handed me her battered Copy of The Stand when I was 13. I had all of his books, I had to pack them up and store them at my grandma's their house caught fire and I lost all my books, I just bought The Stand and am trying to get through some books I started before savoring The Stand. I cannot wait for the sequel to The Shining to come out. I also loved The Talisman. . I think that is one where the boy and his mom go to a hotel and he has to go over to another world to save his mother's twinner. It scared the hell out of me, I can't stand clowns now because of that damn movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Excuse me!?!?! Maximum Overdrive is hilarious, fun, full of AC/DC, has a kid getting mowed down by a steam-roller, Emilio Estevez, and some of the best one-liners ever! "Cuuuuuurtis!!?! are you dead?" I must recommend that you re-watch this classic and rethink your opinion.
    You're excused.

I've been reading Stephen King books since I was 19 years old. The first one I read was Pet Cemetery because I was bored. Then I just kept reading them. Although in the 90's I slowed down on his books and fell way behind. But I do pick one up time to time when I'm in a book store. One of the last novels of his I read was From a Buick 8. One book I just could not get through (ended up giving to another Stephen King fan and he couldn't get through it either) was Lisey's Story.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Excuse me!?!?! Maximum Overdrive is hilarious, fun, full of AC/DC, has a kid getting mowed down by a steam-roller, Emilio Estevez, and some of the best one-liners ever! "Cuuuuuurtis!!?! are you dead?"
    By far Emilio's best performance. He should have retired as soon as the movie wrapped, it can't be topped.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

nursewratchet Guest
    Long time Stephen King fan here!! I remember reading Carrie when I was 13 and then I was hooked!! Salems Lot gave me nightmares. The Stand is one of my favorites. I also loved It, Pet Semetary,Misery,The Cell, and The Shining and Christine.

I remember reading somewhere that Misery is a fear of his!!! Also, the part in Pet Semetary where the little boy runs away and gets hit by the truck, was a very real thought in his mind. He and his family used to live in a house on a very very busy road. One of his fears was that his little boy would take off running towards the road and Stephen would not be able to catch him in time. I have that fear too with my very active and always running 18 month old grandson.
    Last edited by nursewratchet; 08-08-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding additional thought.....

Love me some Stephen King. But. YIKES!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yikes.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	44473
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post

And his wife, Tabitha. Double Yikes!!!

Name:	Tabitha.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	44475

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    And his wife, Tabitha. Double Yikes!!!

Name:	Tabitha.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	44475
    Yeah, but she looks way better than he does.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

albert28 Guest
    As I reaction this I'm looking at the bookcase in my living place area that is devoted to Stephen Expert. I own everything by him that I can get my hands on...books, publication material, forewords in other guides, etc and so forth. I first research July when I was about 12 and I've been linked ever since. Luckily my mom never censored what I research, and that she bought me pretty much any information I asked for for. (About the only amazing aspect she ever did for me.)

I love all of Stephen King's books. I live about 50 miles north of Ferndale, Ca. where Salem's Lot was filmed. I have a couple of pictures of movie locations. Just trying to post them. Also, please ignore the Eeyore......the pic was taken for a friend

harlequin_clown Guest
    Didn't he do a cameo on Sons of Anarchy as the "Cleaner"? I just saw that episode a few weeks ago, and I KNOW that was him

Name:	DCFC0081.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	415.8 KB 
ID:	44499

This house was in the movie Salem's Lot

Sorry about the dog picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCFC0082.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	44500  
    Last edited by Stevie Lynn; 11-26-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: posted wrong picture

I don't watch Son's of Anarchy but I did a search and Yes, he did play the Cleaner.

Looks like they're making the Dome into a 13 episode series.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...rder-from-cbs/

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Lynn View Post
    I don't watch Son's of Anarchy but I did a search and Yes, he did play the Cleaner.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

pwem Guest
    Why the gasps at the way they look? They look like two normal middle-aged people to me. His nose is a little small for his face but the face itself seems open and expressive. Like we all look like Cary Grant and Grace Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by pwem View Post
    Why the gasps at the way they look? They look like two normal middle-aged people to me. His nose is a little small for his face but the face itself seems open and expressive. Like we all look like Cary Grant and Grace Kelly
    Agreed.

Excuse me, I do not look like Grace Kelly, but nor do I look spooky enough to scare IT.

Also, we are all free to express our opinions about celebrities, but not other members. I know you were just kidding--werencha?, pwem, but a newbe might not know that. Carry on.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

pwem Guest
    I understand completely, cindy.

I always thought King looked creepier when he was younger. I had never seen his wife before. I saw him recently on Craig Ferguson, and he looked so frail.

Am I the only one that doesn't like It? I've been forcing myself to read the rest of the book and its taking forever.

Keep on reading.. It gets, interesting, a little tidbit they left out of the film.

I love IT second only to The Stand.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I haven't seen all of the film. Don't like the clown parts much since I saw a few parts back when it premiered on tv lol.

I did like The Stand, read in about a week. Been reading It for more then a month heh.

Here you go King fans! First footage from Under the Dome: http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-art...led-under-dome
    I can't wait!!!

IT was the first book I read, and while I didn't have a problem getting through it, my mom and sis both tried and they just couldn't get into it. So don't feel bad if you can't finish it SelenaFan. I however enjoyed it so much that I've actually gone through 3 copies of it!
    As for his mini-series...Rose Red is actually my fav, with The Shining and The Stand running a close second.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

I watched The Stand twice in one year on Netflix. Loved the original Shinning. I am currently watching The Dead Zone film with Christopher Walken and the TV series with Anthony Michael Hall. The only time I watch is during meals. I watched 6 season's of Grey's Anatomy like that last year. lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

tjh960 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    Here you go King fans! First footage from Under the Dome: http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-art...led-under-dome
    I can't wait!!!

IT was the first book I read, and while I didn't have a problem getting through it, my mom and sis both tried and they just couldn't get into it. So don't feel bad if you can't finish it SelenaFan. I however enjoyed it so much that I've actually gone through 3 copies of it!
    As for his mini-series...Rose Red is actually my fav, with The Shining and The Stand running a close second.
    I've never read Under the Dome, It looks really good though, my fist King novel was Salem's Lot which I read just after watching the mini-series with David Soul back in the late 70's.
    My favorite King movies are Shawshank Redemption, The Mist, Misery, The Dead Zone, and King/ Kubric's Shining.

The new Carrie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkjV...e_gdata_player

Looks like they put pretty much everything in it lol.

I always thought King looked creepier when he was younger. I had never seen his wife before. I saw him recently on Craig Ferguson, and he looked so frail.
    He's never been much of a poster boy, for sure. I don't think he's ever fully recovered from getting hit by a van in 1999. I'm not shocked he looks frail, although it makes me sad.

Name:	544367_494571007264428_1644439927_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	46173

Stand by Me is based on Stephen King's real boy-hood (or so I've heard) for instance the part of the movie, based on his novella, "The Body", where Gordy gets leaches, from what I remember Stephen King really did get this happened to him when he was with his boy-hood friends.

As far as the way he looks, Stephen King actually looks like someone whom you would imagine a horror-genre, thriller author would be. Hes not some handsome, good-looking, clean-cut, looking man- hes the way, I would imagine, a somewhat 'creepy', scary-looking, phamtom-looking... man
    Last edited by Tiffany; 04-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Really like that SK quote. He is one a few authors I will buy the hard back copy. I know I will end up reading the shit out of it. No movie can touch the theatre of the mind.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    He's never been much of a poster boy, for sure. I don't think he's ever fully recovered from getting hit by a van in 1999. I'm not shocked he looks frail, although it makes me sad.
    He needs to wear his glasses. They would cover a bit of his ugly. I agree, he gets creepier every time I see him.

I haven't read Under the Dome, either, and I've spent my budget allotment for stuff like that this month, so next month, Ima buying it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Definitely should read Under the Dome to all who haven't yet. I don't know why, but it reminded me of The Stand. The last book of his that I picked up was 11/22/63. Loved it! I even liked Insomnia. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, too sci-fi some said, but I enjoyed it. I'm currently re-reading the Stand right now.
    My husband doesn't care for King's books...says they're too descriptive (or as SK likes to say, he has "diarrhea of the word processor). I love his stories though. I like being able to picture everything in my head while I'm reading it.

You're right about the leeches in Stand By Me pyt. King tells that story in the special features for the movie, I believe.

tarsier Guest
    I gave up on King as teenager as there were too many other better writers of the same genre around and his books were getting more annoying than interesting in a fast downward slope. Somewhere around the Shing I began to find his books insulting to the intelligence of his readers and I moved on to better reads.

The last book of his that I picked up was 11/22/63.
    I actually have had this book for over a year and have yet to read it. Is there something you can tell me to get me past the reluctance?

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post

He looks a little like Billie Jean King.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Spew!! Thank you for that.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Not sure if this got posted but the sequel to The Shining, called Doctor Sleep comes out Sept. 24th.

Available for pre-order now.

The blurb says Danny Torrance is now a middle aged man, where did all that TIME go....

Haha
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I actually have had this book for over a year and have yet to read it. Is there something you can tell me to get me past the reluctance?
    I used to be so good at summerizing stories, but I kind of suck at it these days...I'll do my best though. Basically, it's about a man who owns a diner and he finds that there is an area in the back that when he steps through it, it takes him back in time. He decides that history changed for the worse the day that JFK died. After a time, he gets to old and ill to go back and try to prevent it. He recruits a younger man that he knows to try and do it. The bulk of the story is about that man trying to (hopefully) change history for the better by preventing the assasination.
    I'm a JFK buff, so this was right up my alley.

A young King.

Name:	steve.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	46776
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Enough to be in the Men Who Look Like Lesbians thread, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Not sure if this got posted but the sequel to The Shining, called Doctor Sleep comes out Sept. 24th.

Available for pre-order now.

The blurb says Danny Torrance is now a middle aged man, where did all that TIME go....
    I used to be so good at summerizing stories, but I kind of suck at it these days...I'll do my best though. Basically, it's about a man who owns a diner and he finds that there is an area in the back that when he steps through it, it takes him back in time. He decides that history changed for the worse the day that JFK died. After a time, he gets to old and ill to go back and try to prevent it. He recruits a younger man that he knows to try and do it. The bulk of the story is about that man trying to (hopefully) change history for the better by preventing the assasination.
    I'm a JFK buff, so this was right up my alley.
    Thanks for those tidbits. I haven't picked up anything new of his in awhile.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have read somewhere that a lot of his books are actually from dreams that he had at one time or another.

Heh.. I don't even remember what I was rolling my eyes about.. I'm sure that man has turned every single dream he has ever had into a book.

Heh.. I don't even remember what I was rolling my eyes about.. I'm sure that man has turned every single dream he has ever had into a book.
    Haha! I just rolled my eyes to be cute. I read where he said he was asked if he got some of his ideas from dreams and he said something like stories from his dreams didn't really pan out. He does have a muse who gives him ideas. For instance, when he was asked to write a story for some anthology or whatever, he could not think of anything. And then he and Owen or one of his kids were in their supermarket after a storm and his muse "shat" all over him. The story he wrote was The Mist.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Carmody from The Mist is one of my most horrific horror character.