Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

You bet, Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMIE View Post
    I agree, but I am really not sure I want to see a movie on the Dark Tower series. It was such a great adventure and really brought great characters to life in my imagination. Not sure, but it may ruin it for me. I may have to skip it.
    I'm the same way about it.

If it comes on cable, I may check it out. Now if it ends up as an HBO series like he talked about, that would be something I'd make a point of watching. Although I think it's likely going to be a film (or three...who knows) since Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are affiliated with the project. Here's the itsy bit that's on imdb about it right now: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    You bet, Priceless.

I'm the same way about it.

If it comes on cable, I may check it out. Now if it ends up as an HBO series like he talked about, that would be something I'd make a point of watching. Although I think it's likely going to be a film (or three...who knows) since Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are affiliated with the project. Here's the itsy bit that's on imdb about it right now: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/
    Thank you. I wasn't sure how I would be recieved. My participation will be short lived however. I'm sure nobodys crying about that! lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

endsleigh03 Guest
    New book coming in November, it's called 11/22/63.

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

From the website...

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the studentsā??a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunningā??s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.
    Not much later, Jakeā??s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insaneā??and insanely possibleā??mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jakeā??s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jakeā??s lifeā??a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    New book coming in November, it's called 11/22/63.

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html

From the website...

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the studentsā??a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunningā??s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.
    Not much later, Jakeā??s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insaneā??and insanely possibleā??mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jakeā??s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jakeā??s lifeā??a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
    Wow! Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up, hun.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jacksmum Guest
    Thanks for posting. Looks great!

That sounds like a must-read and it sounds suspiciously like the case we discuss here where the California physician killed his wife and one child with a hammer before killing himself. I wonder why King keeps going back to 1958? No complaints, it should be a good book.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Pet Semetary is my favorite, followed closely by "Christine". If you'd have told me before I picked up "Christine" that a book about a possessed car could scare the shit out of me, I'd have told you you were crazy. But scare the shit it sure did!

Bassetlover09 Guest
    My favorite King story is "Storm of the Century"...esp the movie. It was long but boy is it awesome. I love watching it on a cold dark snowy day.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Oh, I love that movie.

It's a great rainy day stay in and watch flick.

I read that Stephen King is in talks to write an episode of AE's Walking Dead.

Guest Guest
    hey Paulination..that's AMC's The Walking Dead and yes..there is a rumor and so far the rumblings are that's it true WOULD BE AN AWESOME EPISODE FOR SURE!

Currently SK has his own graphic novel of the Dark Tower Series which is GREAT..hoping that when the do do the movie they cast accordingly I don't like some of the casting talk now..but imagine what a series of movies that story will make!

My fave is The Stand followed by IT. The Stand movie was ok, but they made a big mess out of IT. On the other hand, IT the movie scared my then preteen nieces and nephews to death. When they were older I tried to get them to read the book, but they refused. Lol. I did enjoy Pet Semetary and Thinner, but I just could not get into Christine, the book nor the movie.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bassetlover09 Guest
    ^^That clown in IT scared the sh*t out of me! Creepy for sure.

Guest Guest
    I would LOVE IT if they re made the mini series The Stand..some of the casting was PERFECT..such as Gary Sinese and even Rob Lowe...But some of it was SO OFF like Molly Ringwald as Frannie...yuck!

the effects were very cheesy as well but considered high tech for the time and for being on TV Morphing was HUGE when they shot it..would love to see it made now with the CGI effects making it possible for it to be more visually stunning

IT scared me and still does..I loved John Ritter so the fact he is in it is enough for me to love it...Pet Semetary the book was better than the movie IMO

my favorite book is THE STAND..and I loved Delores Claiborne as well

endsleigh03 Guest
    I didn't care much for the guy who played Randal Flagg in the movie.

If they ever remake I hope they cast that part better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    hey Paulination..that's AMC's The Walking Dead

The Stand is a classic. About once a year we'll sit down and marathon the whole movie in a sitting. I also love the Langoliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    The Stand is a classic. About once a year we'll sit down and marathon the whole movie in a sitting. I also love the Langoliers.
    That little blind girl is so damned annoying.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    That little blind girl is so damned annoying.
    That was probably the one casting fail. It takes a little away from the movie when you start rooting for the deranged guy with the knife.

gemini33 Guest
    I thought I read somewhere they were talking about remaking The Stand as a big screen movie... so I googled it. Here's the link: http://www.movieweb.com/news/stephen...e-stand-remake

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    hey Paulination..that's AMC's The Walking Dead and yes..there is a rumor and so far the rumblings are that's it true WOULD BE AN AWESOME EPISODE FOR SURE!
    I agree! If it's true I'm super excited. Still, I'm a bit upset about them replacing the writers from the first season. They're a huge reason as to why it was so amazing in the first place!

Guest Guest
    oh that was a misquote that turned into a huge rumor...not all the writers were "let go" what happened was one writer in particular had already contracted to do another show..because the 1st season was a pilot season with only 6 episodes..that writer wanted more money to break the contract with the other show and TWD wouldn't meet his demand..so he took himself and two of his assistants with him...most of the writing staff is the same and Robert Kirkman oversees the writers and script reviews anyway...there is rumor that they actually will have a fan contest..where fans can submit for a chance to write an episode..which would be awesome!

oh and truth is...the 2nd season was not slated to begin until October but..they have pushed production up and are pushing for July instead!

Bassetlover09 Guest
    John Saul is one of my favorite authors. I would love it if there were more thriller writers out there! We need more dang it!

I've only read one of his books, cant remember which. Just remember the end the writer ends up having multiple personalities. Any other recommendations to start off with that I can read?

Lucy Riccardo Guest
    Secret Windows & Danse Macrabe

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SelenaFan View Post
    I've only read one of his books, cant remember which. Just remember the end the writer ends up having multiple personalities. Any other recommendations to start off with that I can read?
    I really liked Geralds Game. The situation the woman ends up in is terrifying.

Also, The Stand, and It are great.

Lot to choose from.

I just bought another of his audiobooks. It's called UR...about a guy who interacts with alternate realities/worlds through his ebook reader and was released soley on Kindle initially. Has anyone else checked it out yet?

Bag of Bones premieres Sunday, December 11, 2011, at 9pm on the East Coast, on A&E. It's a two parter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	christmas-animated-gifs-16.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	40516

GOD IS NOT DEAD

ScarletStarlet Guest
    Love Stephen King! The Stand is also my favourite, followed closely by IT. Thoroughly enjoyed Duma Key too. That really creeped me out, to the point where I was lying in bed, too scared to go to the loo. And when I eventually did go, I had to do the mad running jump from light switch back to bed, you know just in case there was anyone under there.

I was 31 at the time

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Bag of Bones premieres Sunday, December 11, 2011, at 9pm on the East Coast, on A&E. It's a two parter.

Thanks for the reminder!!!!!

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletStarlet View Post
    Love Stephen King! The Stand is also my favourite, followed closely by IT. Thoroughly enjoyed Duma Key too. That really creeped me out, to the point where I was lying in bed, too scared to go to the loo. And when I eventually did go, I had to do the mad running jump from light switch back to bed, you know just in case there was anyone under there.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletStarlet View Post
    I was 31 at the time
    Lol!

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post

The previews look scary as hell! Planning to check it out nevertheless

doyleloyal Guest
    We (me and the hubs...especially the hubs) were really disappointed in "Bag of Bones" throughout the whole thing all he kept saying was "that didn't happen, that was like this, why are they doing it that way" and on and on. I think I'll read the book, it sounds much better and I was really hoping this was gonna be like well done true to the book show not just a like dinky two part movie. such a bummer.

Hellena66 Guest
    man do i love Stephen King!!! my fave is Salems Lot i read it every year still scarces the crap outta me! The only one i find kinda hard to get into are The Gunslinger series i read the 1st two but after that lost interest. scariest Stephen King movie? Carrie and The Shining also It was awesome the clown was just disturbing.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    We (me and the hubs...especially the hubs) were really disappointed in "Bag of Bones" throughout the whole thing all he kept saying was "that didn't happen, that was like this, why are they doing it that way" and on and on. I think I'll read the book, it sounds much better and I was really hoping this was gonna be like well done true to the book show not just a like dinky two part movie. such a bummer.
    I totally agree. I was very disappointed. The show was nothing like the book...the acting wasn't even that good. I'll just stick to my book.

babyblujems Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    I totally agree. I was very disappointed. The show was nothing like the book...the acting wasn't even that good. I'll just stick to my book.
    I find this happens with a lot of Stephen King books that are turned into movies or shows. Misery was a very ood one, so was the Shining but It sucked and I literally screamed at the TV flipping out at the end of The Mist.

Jacksmum Guest
    It reminded me very much of American Horror Story. I watched Part 1 last night and will watch Part 2 tonight.

Duckie Guest
    Books-The Stand, Skeleton Crew, IT, Rose Madder, The Shining, Carrie, Desperation, Pet Semetary

Movies- Carrie (the Sissy Spacek version), The Stand, Green Mile, The Mist (except the ending...), Pet Semetary (probably because I've always liked Fred Gwynne ever since I was a kid watching reruns of The Munsters on Nick at Nite), The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption (hey, it was based on a novella, good enough).

Couldn't make it through Dreamcatcher...the book or the movie.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired and can't think of them at the moment.

havoc Guest
    Yeah, it wasn't as whiz bang as I was expecting. Pretty mediocre....

Good to know that I am the only one who wasn't impressed. I think I was bored with it because I figured out the whole plot within the first 10 mins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    Most of the time, they never are. Look how they screwed up Ann Rule's "Everything She Ever Wanted" when they made it into a TV movie last year (though Gina was pretty hot as Pat ). I think I'll stick to book and let my imagination roam.

I was disappointed by Bag of Bones-I should know better than to think anyone could take a book with such amazing detail and squish it into a 4 hour miniseries. The actors that played Mike, Mattie and Kyra were all too damn old for MY version of the book, lol!

I read 11/22/63 in two days. It almost seemed boring at first, but...wait for it...OMG, it was great. You think if there was a way to avoid JFK's assassination, of course you'd do it. But, by the end, I was thinking, (and I mean NO disrespect) yo, Lee Harvey, do you need some help? Steven King did a hell of a lot of research for this one, and it was fascinating.

I want to read it but I'm gonna wait till its on paperback and I can get it for just a few dollars on amazon

I just ordered Duma Key and started reading Geralds Game. The endless discriptions get kind of annoying. I barely finished Girl Who Love Tom Gordon... Eh.
    And I don't think I'll ever finish reading The Shinning.
    Last edited by SelenaFan; 12-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.

King is writng a sequel to The Shinning, out in January 2013. I read it on Facebook, I believe.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Danny grows up and takes nutty mama Olive Oil (still wearing her turtle neck under a smock and striped knee socks) back to scene of the crime: The Overlook Hotel. They walk into the hallway leading to the grand ballroom and see Jack's image (aka TaupinJohn's avatar) is now among the sea of faces in the 1920's photograph. Let the mayhem begin!

Or something like that. Or not. But you just know something is gonna happen involving that pic. You just know_it.

Lol. That's spooky, Deb.

I am interested in finding out if it's any good. I lost interest in his books a long time ago. I started reading Bag of Bones after it came on TV and I can't get into it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I've never seen many of the movies made from his books after The Stand miniseries originally aired. That one was pretty accurate to the book. But then you have stuff like Maximum Overdrive which was lame and comical. Steve was on set and it still sucked. The exception to not watching most of them after The Stand came out being The Green Mile. The book series done old fashioned serial novel style was fab. And the movie was also fab. Actors too. (Even Doug Hutchinson was perfect as Percy Wetmore. Now lookit him. Crazy old lech married to a couple of chicken cutlets with a sidw of tuna. But I digress...) People are probably losing it over at his foeum about this. I haven't been there in ages. Fun to be a part of his site but talk about over-regulated! He gets some real whackadoodles though, so I can understand. Still though. Every post must be approved before it is posted by one mod for the whole place. And it's only open during certain hours and days of the week. Anyway, there is probably lots of gushing, some wars amongst the disgruntled who will no doubt believe it'll never measure up to the original and a whole lotta people who are so happy and jumping up and down with glee at this news, the occasional naysayer interupting to tell all the happy people that they will be disappointed. And all of this ofcourse depends on people being able to find the right place to post their comments. Anyone who wonders why I say that, go to www.stephenking.com and click on their forum link. Behold the hugeness! Now click on a category. See? Toldja

Gah. Nope. I don't even want to think of the drama over there. King is on my FB friend list for the updates. I am not that into sending friend requests to celebs, but I do have three famous authors and a movie character actor/martial artist/stuntman by the name of Al Leong. Most people have seen him in movies and on TV but don't know his name. He actually spoke to me directly, which made my life. Lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Excuse me!?!?! Maximum Overdrive is hilarious, fun, full of AC/DC, has a kid getting mowed down by a steam-roller, Emilio Estevez, and some of the best one-liners ever! "Cuuuuuurtis!!?! are you dead?" I must recommend that you re-watch this classic and rethink your opinion.

My favorite was Misery, followed by The Tommy Knockers which, I think could be made into a blockbuster instead of the POS that was made for TV. Needful Things was okay.