Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    It's good Molly. You should also read Duma Key, reads like vintage King.
    Thanks K.......I`ll get it

endsleigh03 Guest
    I liked Duma also.
    Just finished Sunset and getting ready to read Duma again.

It's good Molly. You should also read Duma Key, reads like vintage King.
    Vintage King? Gotta read Duma Key!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lab_rat Guest
    I think I may have to read Duma Key too!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Vintage King? Gotta read Duma Key!
    OK......3 of my favorite people have given this the thumbs up.....I must have it

Cangirl58 Guest

His house...

Not sure if anyone has posted these pic's of Steven King's home before by Tony Urban. These are fantastic high-res photos.

Enjoy!

His gate.

Just creepy...lol

lab_rat Guest
    I heard that his house was pretty cool!

Cangirl58 Guest

Side view looking towards the rear of the house...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Wow- it's warm and homely, but kind of creepy too. Very Maine.

He has a property in Florida now too, hence why is wrote Duma Key.
    Florida shows up a good bit in Just After Sunset both in the stories and authors notes. I have been trying to figure out where he lives here, all the roads and landmarks. are near my place. It is somewhere close to me.

Strange to have the books shift from mostly Maine after all those years to somewhere else.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post

Why is it a different color?

Long Gone Day Guest
    After not being able to read a book in the last two and a half years, I was given "Bag of Bones" by a friend. I was shocked how some of the circumstances in the book mirrored what had happened to me. Has anyone read this book? And what did you think? I love his writing and his observations about human nature and relationships.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted these pic's of Steven King's home before by Tony Urban. These are fantastic high-res photos.

Enjoy!

His gate.

Just creepy...lol
    Love the house! Definitely looks like a house Stephen King would live in

Am I the only pervert that notices the giant boobs in his gate?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    LOL, I certainly didn't hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I think 'Salem's Lot' was his most frightening novel ever. It still gives me nightmares, the whole floating at the window tapping thing, also the line (when the child comes upon the vampire on the short cut home), instead of describing what happens, King says "The rest was unspeakable." I've never forgotten that line in 30 years, it froze me with terror.
    ***sitting in chair, afraid to move and attract vampires*** Jack, you are so right!! I haven't re-read that one in years, but that line just roots me to the spot with horror (and speculation)

Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    After not being able to read a book in the last two and a half years, I was given "Bag of Bones" by a friend. I was shocked how some of the circumstances in the book mirrored what had happened to me. Has anyone read this book? And what did you think? I love his writing and his observations about human nature and relationships.
    LongGone...just read your post, and even thinking about Bag of Bones made me tear up. I loved that book-terrified, sobbing, and laughing. I read it all in a day. I cannot imagine what you may have gone through to identify with it, but I wish you the absolute best. I love his writing, and think his observations on human nature and relationships are fascinating. I cannot imagine the boogeymen in his head, and I suspect there may be waaayy more to his childhood that we know.

He has certain phrases that stick in my head, even though I can't necessarily remember from which book, "slow, dreamy, horror", "I'll feed you your lunch!"

It's almost as though he wants to warn you that something terrifying/horrifying is coming, but....don't worry, he'll be there to hold your hand on the way.....

Loved all the early stuff, most of the recent, rereading is great, especially The Stand. Liked Duma Key more than I thought I would, agree The Cell was kind of crap, felt a little like certain elements of The Mist and The Stand woven in, so a cheat.

I loved all of Stephan Kings older books when I was younger. Would love to read them again, but it is really hard to find them here in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    I loved all of Stephan Kings older books when I was younger. Would love to read them again, but it is really hard to find them here in English.
    You could order them off his website if he ships out of the country; plus there's amazon.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CORONERGAL View Post
    I believe his first name is Doug. I SO hated him in that movie. He was also in an episode of "CSI", the Vegas one. He played a psycho that was stalking Nick. He plays a great psycho.
    He actually looks like he would be a nice guy. I'd just have to put aside the whole Percy Wetmore thing.
    Does he like those kind of roles, I wonder ?
    I first saw him in "A Time to Kill" as one of those twisted rapists...

"YES, THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!"

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    Am I the only pervert that notices the giant boobs in his gate?
    The "Dirty Pillows" have the numbers 4 and 7... I only saw it because you pointed it out, and I had to go back and look

John Connor Guest
    I read Bag of Bones. It wasn't bad and is considered one of his better by many. Basically it sticks to his same themes but I thought it was a little sentimental for him. He is clearly getting old.

FiestyGal Guest
    I'm a huge SK fan, and have everything he's ever written, all the movies, etc. My fav is "Geralds Game", but I really like "It" and "Lisey's Story".

King-isms

Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    The "Dirty Pillows" have the numbers 4 and 7... I only saw it because you pointed it out, and I had to go back and look
    "dirty pillows" **snicker** that was a classic....

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxyMillions View Post
    LongGone...just read your post, and even thinking about Bag of Bones made me tear up. I loved that book-terrified, sobbing, and laughing. I read it all in a day. I cannot imagine what you may have gone through to identify with it, but I wish you the absolute best. I love his writing, and think his observations on human nature and relationships are fascinating. I cannot imagine the boogeymen in his head, and I suspect there may be waaayy more to his childhood that we know.

He has certain phrases that stick in my head, even though I can't necessarily remember from which book, "slow, dreamy, horror", "I'll feed you your lunch!"

It's almost as though he wants to warn you that something terrifying/horrifying is coming, but....don't worry, he'll be there to hold your hand on the way.....

Loved all the early stuff, most of the recent, rereading is great, especially The Stand. Liked Duma Key more than I thought I would, agree The Cell was kind of crap, felt a little like certain elements of The Mist and The Stand woven in, so a cheat.
    So true, Maxy! I loved all of his early stuff, too. He just pulls you in and then lets you go a little bit, then pulls you in a little more.

I loved this passage from "Bag of Bones:"

"This is how we go on: one day at a time, one meal at a time, one breath at a time. Dentists go on one root-canal at a time; boat-builders go on one hull at a time. If you write books, you go on one page at a time. We turn from all we know and all we fear. We study catalogues, watch football games, choose Sprint over AT&T. We count the birds in the sky and will not turn from the window when we hear footsteps behind us as something comes up the hall; we say yes, I agree that clouds often look like other things - fish and unicorns and men on horseback - but they are really only clouds. Even when the lightening flashes inside them we say they are only clouds and turn our attention to the next meal, the next pain, the next breath, the next page. This is how we go on."

John Connor Guest
    Breasts mama. They're called breasts. And everybody has them.

I knew it would be red.

Breasts mama. They're called breasts. And everybody has them.
    Hee-hee, I had no idea Carrie was southern until I heard Sissy Spacek drawl that line out..

So true, Maxy! I loved all of his early stuff, too. He just pulls you in and then lets you go a little bit, then pulls you in a little more.

I loved this passage from "Bag of Bones:"

"This is how we go on: one day at a time, one meal at a time, one breath at a time. Dentists go on one root-canal at a time; boat-builders go on one hull at a time. If you write books, you go on one page at a time. We turn from all we know and all we fear. We study catalogues, watch football games, choose Sprint over AT&T. We count the birds in the sky and will not turn from the window when we hear footsteps behind us as something comes up the hall; we say yes, I agree that clouds often look like other things - fish and unicorns and men on horseback - but they are really only clouds. Even when the lightening flashes inside them we say they are only clouds and turn our attention to the next meal, the next pain, the next breath, the next page. This is how we go on."
    LGD-that is a beautiful passage, and a perfect example of what an incredible writer SK is. **wiping tear**

Now, I have to go find the cockadoodie book and read it again...!!! **Maxy stomps off to the bookcase**

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I knew it would be red.
    Gonzo, can you see Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford doing that line.....
    "I knew... it would be RED!!!"

Long Gone Day Guest
    I read Bag of Bones. It wasn't bad and is considered one of his better by many. Basically it sticks to his same themes but I thought it was a little sentimental for him. He is clearly getting old.
    ..."and I'm gettin' older, too.." Lost my reading glasses, ate too much for Easter, and muscles I didn't even know I have are hurting 'cause I wrestled with a damn rototiller.

I think it was sentimental, too. But I'm a big old sap. His relationship with his wife, the loss of her and their unborn child, and the single mother that he tried to save from a monster and the judges, lawyers, and police that were so easily bought in helping that monster destroy that mother.

He and his wife seem to have such a wonderful relationship in real life.

It's pink mama.

LOVE IT, KC!!! Wouldn't want to play a pink vs. red, or breasts vs. dirtypillows game in any other King book, esp. Gerald's Game or Salem's Lot!!!!

"It's pahnk, mama...."

John Connor Guest
    ..."and I'm gettin' older, too.." Lost my reading glasses, ate too much for Easter, and muscles I didn't even know I have are hurting 'cause I wrestled with a damn rototiller.

I think it was sentimental, too. But I'm a big old sap. His relationship with his wife, the loss of her and their unborn child, and the single mother that he tried to save from a monster and the judges, lawyers, and police that were so easily bought in helping that monster destroy that mother.

He and his wife seem to have such a wonderful relationship in real life.

It was actually the little girl who annoyed me. The whole thing with her was very cloying and she kept repeating something I can't remember but it bugged me.

Tabitha King seems like a pretty tough cookie and without her he'd probably be a drunken loser working the mangler on midnight shifts. She's n absolute shit writer though no matter what they say.

Long Gone Day Guest
    That was the weakest in dialogue: the little girl's. I knew Tabitha wrote but have never read anything by her. And yup, me thinks she runs a tight ship.

John Connor Guest
    By Tabitha King:
    • 1981 Small World
    • 1983 Caretakers *
    • 1985 The Trap (also published as Wolves at the Door) *
    • 1988 Pearl *
    • 1993 One on One *
    • 1994 The Book of Reuben *
    • 1994 Playing Like a Girl; Cindy Blodgett and the Lawrence Bulldogs Season of 93-94
    • 1997 Survivor
    • 2006 Candles Burning

John Connor Guest
    That was the weakest in dialogue: the little girl's. I knew Tabitha wrote but have never read anything by her. And yup, me thinks she runs a tight ship.

I taggled my own quartermack.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Thanks, Gonzo.

I taggled my own quartermack.

**shivers** Poor Mattie got the shitty end of the stick in that story.

Unhappy Swine Superflu?

Just watching the noon news...The story about swine flu makes me very uneasy. Don't know if I would feel that way if The Stand weren't my fave, and if I couldn't remember all the stories of what people were doing as the Superflu hit.

Maybe that's why I bought a lot of extra pet food and water today.....

Aha! So I'm not the only one who thought of that.

See folks? We're not crazy. It's Stephen King's fault!

Just watching the noon news...The story about swine flu makes me very uneasy. Don't know if I would feel that way if The Stand weren't my fave, and if I couldn't remember all the stories of what people were doing as the Superflu hit.

Maybe that's why I bought a lot of extra pet food and water today.....
    The Stand is my favorite book too, and any time I hear about a flu going around a part of me gets super scared! I just had to buy another copy of the book from Amazon because my 15 year old copy has finally fallen apart.

Lynn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] SHHHHHHHHHHH, I am listening to the Best of the 70's

endsleigh03 Guest
    Looks like Stephen King is going to sequel The Shining.

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/20...n-king-news%2F

majcm Guest
    [quote=atlantis;37305]Oh my gosh, Stephen King is my fave author. No one else even comes close. The Shining is a fantastic book. The movie was okay. But I really don't think his books translate to the large or small screen very well. Sometimes his words only make sense as they run through your head, not someone else's head (screenplay). The Stand is a real piece of work. The mini-series was pretty good (Corin Nemec was great not to mention Rob Lowe).

"It" the movie AND the book will freak me out til the end of time. God knows I hate clowns and Pennywise is a fuckin' nightmare on wheels, man.

You know, it's odd, but his horror books don't turn out well (although i did like Jsck Nicholson's Shining), but his regular stories can turn out very good. For example, Stand by Me (based on "The Body"), The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. I really love the way he did the Green Mile by putting out a few chapters each month and you'd have to wait and look forward to it. He should do that again.

Oh, and "It" is still my favorite book by him. It still scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Looks like Stephen King is going to sequel The Shining.

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/20...n-king-news%2F

Very interesting...in the comments section, a lot of people suggested Edward Norton as the grown up Danny.

Anyone read "Under the Dome" yet? I liked it, didn't find it particularly scary or horrifying.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I don't know...The Shining was definitely one of his best books (I hated the movie, mostly because of the worst-case miscasting of Nicholson and Duvall). Though my head says "stay away Stephen," my gut says "I want to read that sequel SO BAD"!

When I read Pet Semetary I couldn't sleep without the lights on for a week!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    When I read Pet Semetary I couldn't sleep without the lights on for a week!
    That one was sad, and scared the shit out of me!

STsFirstmate Guest
    I liked his early work and then he just got too violent and didn't let you imagine your own horrors enough. I like it when the author leads me right up to the brink and then lets me imagine what I would see if I looked in the chasm.
    I thnk my favorite was a short story in Night Shift about a couple of guys working in an old New England Mill building that are ordered to go into the subbasement to get rid of the rats.
    They end up getting attacked by the rats of course and the only thing holding them at bay is the firehose they were cleaning with and slowly the water pressure drops as the rats eat through the canvas in the darkness behind them.
    He just really builds they anticipation. Salem's Lot is my favorite novel by him. I saw him on the View recently and he looked good. That accident came very close to killing him or at least ending his writing career.
    I am glad to see him doing well even if he is a Red Sox fan.
    Regards,
    Mary

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I don't know...The Shining was definitely one of his best books (I hated the movie, mostly because of the worst-case miscasting of Nicholson and Duvall). Though my head says "stay away Stephen," my gut says "I want to read that sequel SO BAD"!

I'll read it.

Just picked up Under The Dome, the new one.
    Its over a thousand pages.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Very interesting...in the comments section, a lot of people suggested Edward Norton as the grown up Danny.

Anyone read "Under the Dome" yet? I liked it, didn't find it particularly scary or horrifying.
    just picked this one up.

Pamebabby Guest
    My all time favorite horror writer. From reading his early works up to now, I think the earlier stuff was better. However, I won't pass up a new book by him, and will be shopping for the new one soon. I didn't expect to like Bag of Bones, but I did, so I'll never say never. Lisey's Story, though, I didn't get.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I liked his early work and then he just got too violent and didn't let you imagine your own horrors enough. I like it when the author leads me right up to the brink and then lets me imagine what I would see if I looked in the chasm.
    I thnk my favorite was a short story in Night Shift about a couple of guys working in an old New England Mill building that are ordered to go into the subbasement to get rid of the rats.
    They end up getting attacked by the rats of course and the only thing holding them at bay is the firehose they were cleaning with and slowly the water pressure drops as the rats eat through the canvas in the darkness behind them.
    He just really builds they anticipation. Salem's Lot is my favorite novel by him. I saw him on the View recently and he looked good. That accident came very close to killing him or at least ending his writing career.
    I am glad to see him doing well even if he is a Red Sox fan.
    Regards,
    Mary
    That story you refer to Mary was 'Graveyard Shift,' another instance where the film version (same title) was just awful--seems it's very difficult to literalize King onscreen.
    "Salem's Lot" was by far my favorite King novel too...I've read it several times and it gets me going every single reading. I wish they'd make a theatrical version (a GOOD one though) of that novel--the TV movie was OK (especially the Mr. Barlow character--ghoulish and scary!), but how great would it be to see a rip-roaring adaptation that's every bit as good (and terrifying) as the book?