Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Carmody from The Mist is one of my most horrific horror character.
    She was just evil incarnate. I'd like to read that again. The movie was so-so, but the novella rocked.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I have read somewhere that a lot of his books are actually from dreams that he had at one time or another.
    Tis true.

He also wrote some books that paralleled what he was going through when he got hit by a guy in a van awhile back. The injuries, rehab, tue whole thing. I remember reading an interview where he talked extensively about how even though the pain was excruciating sometimes, writing, papers strewn all ober the floor the old fashioned way, was what helped him stay sane while letting go of his anger over the situation.

I'm hoping the new Carrie will put some stuff back in from the book. I don't know why, but the part in the book where some of the townspeople were trying to get the the school and the street they were on had live wires all over it kind of creeped me out. The woman testifying as to how everyone kept stepping on the wires and getting fried, and then she was the only one on the street still alive, and she had to take giant steps over the wires.
    I've always loved the fact that King is so descriptive in his stories....or as he calls it "diarrhea of the word processor".
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	998526_10152978627200296_1440740323_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	47286
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I like that pic.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I do too, but I think if all those characters showed up at his house for reals he'd run screaming out the nearest empty door.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Nah, those are his kids. They love him.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Nah, those are his kids. They love him.
    Maybe so, but I've heard some of his own books scared him.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

GOD IS NOT DEAD

stay_zee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    That is an interesting way to see oysters. I never saw it like that. Now I don't know if I want to eat them again.

Quote Originally Posted by stay_zee View Post
    That is an interesting way to see oysters. I never saw it like that. Now I don't know if I want to eat them again.
    I feel the same way he does--oysters and slimy things--snails--uh, nope, gag. I will admit to eating oyster stew when I was young, but they were cooked. I hate the thoughts of eating something that is alive. And I have heard that when you squirt lemon juice on them they squirm.

However, I do love me some cheese cake, the New York style. Yum!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

He was on Reddit the other day, answering questions from the minions. Someone asked him what his favorite book was that he wrote. He said it was Lisey's story. I'd never heard of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    He was on Reddit the other day, answering questions from the minions. Someone asked him what his favorite book was that he wrote. He said it was Lisey's story. I'd never heard of it.
    I have, but haven't read it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I am an avid reader. I have never read a Stephen King book.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I am an avid reader. I have never read a Stephen King book.
    Why?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Just never have. I don't know. What is a good one to start with. I have watched some of the movies.

I think I read Salem's Lot first, and then Carrie. But my all time faves are IT and The Stand (unabridged), in that order. All his early work is good, but I'm not too keen about the later books.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

endsleigh03 Guest
    It and The Stand are good starters (long books) I also liked Duma Key a lot, just a good read with supernatural twists. Under The Dome was lackluster. 11/22/63 was good also, and more recent.

Hubs loved Under the Dome, he said. I haven't read it yet, nor have I read 11/22/63, which I think I'll buy.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I loved the Bachman Books. The Long Walk, Running Man, and Rage were some of my favs.

I liked Thinner and The Dark Tower series, though I didn't read but the first 4 or 5. Cujo and Fire Starter. I didn't really are for Christine, Rose Madder, and Delores Clayborn, and some others. Salem's Lot scared the living daylights out of me. I could not put it down and finally finished it around 4:30am and had to be at work at somewhere around 7am, but I was too afraid to sleep.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

babyblujems Guest
    Personally my favorite was Rage, and though I love It and The Stand I think that they might be a bit long for a first timer. Apt Pupil was good.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Hubs loved Under the Dome, he said. I haven't read it yet, nor have I read 11/22/63, which I think I'll buy.
    I just pulled my Under The Dome to maybe read it again, see if I liked it better. It's the hardback and it looks like you could kill somebody with it because it's so heavy. Makes my hands and wrists throb just looking at it.

I hope they don't fuck up the remake of IT ... actually how can they? First, the ending sucked ass more than any horror tv movie could possibly suck & second, IT was a tv movie... I think as far as editing goes, this remake, a regular motion picture production, will have more bad language, nudity, blood, gore ...etc. At least I hope so. You can't "fuck up" a tv movie

PS anyone read his novel (based on true events of his life), The Body? Stand by Me is based from that novel.....if so, did the movie portray the novel accurately? Was there more in the book?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

babyblujems Guest
    I did, it was a part of the Bachman Books set I had. The movie just didn't quite do it for me. There were things that were screwed up and somehow, believe it or not I think they missed a lot with the kids. As for IT, seriously they thought it was based on the book? Sometimes it seemed completely different, so much edited out you didn't even get to know enough about the monster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I hope they don't fuck up the remake of IT ... actually how can they? First, the ending sucked ass more than any horror tv movie could possibly suck & second, IT was a tv movie... I think as far as editing goes, this remake, a regular motion picture production, will have more bad language, nudity, blood, gore ...etc. At least I hope so. You can't "fuck up" a tv movie

PS anyone read his novel (based on true events of his life), The Body? Stand by Me is based from that novel.....if so, did the movie portray the novel accurately? Was there more in the book?

Yeah, I hated IT, the movie.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This thread inspired me to revisit King's works via Wikipedia, which states that a film adaptation (not remake) of "Carrie" is coming out this fall! Chloe Moretz (the girl from "Kickass") will play Carrie. I'm not sure how to feel about this yet, since I love the original movie - it's one of my all-time favorites (with "The Shining" and "The Exorcist"), and its 70's-ness is fantastic (house crumbling at the end; music cheesy & freaky). Guess it'll be an entirely new take on the book & I'll try hard not to draw comparisons.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

endsleigh03 Guest
    Didn't they already make a Carrie remake? ETA: it was a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Didn't they already make a Carrie remake? ETA: it was a sequel.
    Yes - there was a 1999 sequel that didn't do well (The Rage: Carrie 2), and a different remake (2002) which ended with Carrie still being alive, thus the potential for a TV series afterwards (but I never saw any of that).
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    The Stand (unabridged) and Duma Key are my faves. The first I ever read was Bachman's Thinner. Bag of Bones is very good as well. I have gotten half way through Under the Dome and Needful Things before calling it quits. If I quit reading a book, it is b/c I hit something that I just cannot get past. In 'UtD' it was the girl (can't think of a name) looking at her son, Little Walter, and saying Mommy loves you--then attempting or succeeding in suicide. With 'NT' the scence that has Nettie cracking the Polish woman's head open with a meat cleaver did it. I cannot move beyond those things to the rest of the book. Oh, I try and sometimes read on a few pages. Though I always 'abandon ship' after them. I may pick them back up when I grow a spine.

Although I did not read IT, theres no way to fck up a TV movie. If anything it will have more explicit material & more gore
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

endsleigh03 Guest
    Forgot about Black House (collab between Stephen King and Peter Straub) Excellent book, I am rereading it from the library but again it's a hardback, over 600 pages. Wish the library had more e-sources like the Patti Smith one I downloaded to the computer.

I enjoyed Needful Things, especially the IT tie in. ouldn't finish Duma Key, for some reason, ditto Insomnia, and Dreamcatcher,
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

endsleigh03 Guest
    Encore is running a SK movie each night in Sept. It's a must watch for me, lead-up to Halloween.

Also read Joyand. Short but good.

Waiting for the library to cough up Mr. Mercedes now.

There's a new book coming Nov. 2014, called Revival.

11/22/63 is a great book. I found the book Lisey's stories at the Goodwill and am having a hard time getting through it. I hate when he goes into this style. I'm very close to just re-donating it. I liked Joyland if anyone wants a quick read. Pet Semetary will always be one of my favorites along with Misery. But Green Mile is some of his best work.

But this Lisey story is why I stopped reading him. If anyone else has read it and can say it got better I will trudge onward.

Quote Originally Posted by SheeBee View Post
    11/22/63 is a great book. I found the book Lisey's stories at the Goodwill and am having a hard time getting through it. I hate when he goes into this style. I'm very close to just re-donating it. I liked Joyland if anyone wants a quick read. Pet Semetary will always be one of my favorites along with Misery. But Green Mile is some of his best work.

But this Lisey story is why I stopped reading him. If anyone else has read it and can say it got better I will trudge onward.
    I agree. I couldn't get through Lisey's Story either. I gave it to a friend (after I gave up on it) and he couldn't get past the first chapter and he's a huge SK fan.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Ok, now I'm just going to put it in the Goodwill pile.

Misery is my all-time favorite.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Auntie Vi Guest
    For years, my fave was The Shining, until I heard Joyland on Cd, now that is my favorite. Unfave = Lisey's Story. I love Stephen King, however, I skip over the parts where he describes sex, ew, he didn't always do that, did he?

I actually think King is underrated by the literary "establishment". I teach English at the college level, and I am always thrilled when there is a King story in the textbook.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Happy Birthday, Mr. King!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

endsleigh03 Guest
    Yeppers.

Happy birthday. He's getting up there.

Let's see I love The Body, ( Made into Stand By Me) Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, (Made into The Shawshank Redemption) The Stand, and It, Eyes of the Dragon, and the Colorado Kid. (Made into the t.v. series Haven), Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (Made into Rose Red).
    Last edited by pkstracy; 09-23-2014 at 09:21 AM.

My all time favorites are IT and the uncut The Stand. I left my copies at the last house, so in October I'm buying them again for another read or two. I mean I've read each only four or five times.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

There was a marathon all day today on Encore I watched "Sometimes they come back", Shawshank, and I recorded Christine just to have it.

I would have Christine on Blu-ray however the only way to get this masterpiece of film on blu-ray is amazon at a whopping 150-160 bucks.

One of my favorite episodes of Quantum Leap where Sam leaps and befriends a young Stephen King and accidentally gives him the ideas for most of his books.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    There was a marathon all day today on Encore I watched "Sometimes they come back", Shawshank, and I recorded Christine just to have it.

I would have Christine on Blu-ray however the only way to get this masterpiece of film on blu-ray is amazon at a whopping 150-160 bucks.

One of my favorite episodes of Quantum Leap where Sam leaps and befriends a young Stephen King and accidentally gives him the ideas for most of his books.
    I would have loved seeing that. Quantum Leap is on Netflix and I going to watch it just to catch that epi. Lol.
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-21-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm so glad this is a Happy Birthday post... I got worried when I saw his name. I love The Stand, when I started reading it, I only put it down to sleep! And, the mini-series 'Kingdom Hospital' based on his accident. So good. Happy Birthday Mr. King!

I would have loved seeing that. Quantum Leap is on Netflix and I going to watch it just to catch that epi. Lol.
    The episode is called The Boogieman.

Bidmor Guest
    Recently watched Maximum Overdrive, one of King's early films and self described as his "moron movie". Can't say I disagree with him but a not bad light movie anyway. King makes a cameo early on. The premise is a comet passes close by earth and we are in its tail for a couple of days and during which all machines, including trucks, develop a mind of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    The episode is called The Boogieman.
    I'll go through them and find it. Thanks!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD