Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Welk

Lawrence Welk

So I got to thinking, Liberace had his own thread or two. Why not Lawrence? Personally I never liked him, but he was liked by lots. He was on tv for it seemed like ever (27 years). He popularized champagne music.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I was just watching his old black and white show a little while ago!

poppie Guest
    On the way to San Diego, there is a Lawrence Welk Village. Also, a very nice restaurant where the food isn't too bad. Lots of old people love to go there. I was entertaining my Mother one year and a trip to see this place was number one on her tourist attractions. No one has ever talked aboout the size of Welk's estate, but it must have been almost in the billions.

the band was great,they did well under the direction of george cates,i think. he had guest stars such as jack benny and the mills bros.

Kathyf Guest
    I remember when my Grandpa had to move in with us it was on the same time as "The Gong Show" We fought all the time.

JeffD Guest
    When I was young, my parents watched him every Saturday afternoon. I hated it. I appreciate him more now.

Danny62 Guest
    My grandmother....every Saturday!! He was like god to her!!!

Jaxxx Guest
    My Grandmother too, We had popcorn and Lawrence Welk

Kathyf Guest
    I often think about how now being older I would give anything to watch anything with him.

Bidmor Guest
    When I was little, it was always Lawrence Welk on Saturday nights...mom liked him. Then afterward it was me and dad's time...for wrestling from Ft. Worth with the Von Erich's.

A one-a and a two-a.

Darrianne Guest
    Yep, I sat with my beloved Granny and watched him many times. As a kid, I liked the dancing and the bubbles. LOL

FannyB1923 Guest

The Lawrence Welk Show!

ah one! ah two!

Mostly, I couldn't stand it- such "Hokey" music. I used to say if I was bad and got sent to Hell, the Devil would be standing there playing the accordion, saying "let's polka!"
    I remember really liking the Lennon Sisters of course.

Remember the great big GERITOL sign? so appropriate!

insanejeff Guest
    I'm surprised it still runs every Saturday here, as if it were 1975.. or 65.. or however long it dates back. I must confess I'm sometimes entertained by the overall goofiness of the show.. and the fashions.. haha.

I still have a favorite memory of the show, sometime in my teens when we had our first VCR I somehow ended up goofing around and recording Lynn Anderson performing "Ride Ride Ride" and I used to play it over and over and laugh hysterically.. and I didn't even do drugs!

I would love to see that performance again. I've checked YouTube before with no luck.

Armcast Guest
    We used to watch it when I was a kid...my parents liked Ana Connie (sp?) who would sing in Spanish and did have a beautiful voice...

There are reruns on our PBS station here sometimes and when I'm channel surfing I look at the programs that are probably 30 to 40 years old and I see all these older people dancing, I think to myself...man, most of those people are dead by now!

Doug81506 Guest
    my grandparents used to eat their dinner on tv trays and watch lawrence welk. sometimes they would get up and dance. i was very fond of my grandparents so this always led me to have a soft spot in my heart for lawrence welk. he comes on saturday nights (like he's done since 1955) on pbs here. i hate to admit this, but i always watch if i'm home as it reminds me of simpler times. btw, lawrence was a damned shrewd business man and ended up the second wealthiest entertainer in his day, right after bob hope. not bad for a kid who did not speak english or leave the family farm until he was 21.

RoRo Guest
    Since I take care of the elderly, I watch this alot...too much.....but I do enjoy it at times......a one and a two........

17. 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Nicki Guest
    My parents watched it every weekend also. I use to love to watch the Lennon Sisters because the youngest Janet was just two years older then me. Later on I met them all when they were here in San Carlos, CA doing a show with Andy Williams. They had their kids with them and drove up in a a not so new station wagon. All of them were very nice . Surprising.. since their father had been murdered not too many years before by a derange fan who was delusional and thought Peggy Lennon was his wife. Here is a Wedsite with alittle bit about what happen to the dad:

http://www.singers.com/jazz/vintage/lennonsisters.html

And here is a Lennon Sister Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMo-...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Doug81506 View Post
    my grandparents used to eat their dinner on tv trays and watch lawrence welk. sometimes they would get up and dance. i was very fond of my grandparents so this always led me to have a soft spot in my heart for lawrence welk. he comes on saturday nights (like he's done since 1955) on pbs here. i hate to admit this, but i always watch if i'm home as it reminds me of simpler times. btw, lawrence was a damned shrewd business man and ended up the second wealthiest entertainer in his day, right after bob hope. not bad for a kid who did not speak english or leave the family farm until he was 21.

oh what a sweet memory! god bless them!
    Quote Originally Posted by siameseman View Post
    My grandparents use to watch Lawrence Welk as well. They use to love shows like this along with the Tommy Hunter show and the Grand Ole Opry. The Lawrence Welk show still comes on TV in reruns where I live but I can't watch it. Maybe when I am in my 60's or 70's it will appeal to me though.
    watched it with parents/grandmother. she had a cartel of him (those lifelike standing things) in her dining room! i think she just loved him!
    pull the string!

wunna fulll a wunna fulll!
    pull the string!

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    ah one! ah two!

Mostly, I couldn't stand it- such "Hokey" music. I used to say if I was bad and got sent to Hell, the Devil would be standing there playing the accordion, saying "let's polka!"

I used to think it was a form of punishment that my parents would make watch!

Morto Guest
    Anna one anna two!!

When I was young I always thought Lawrence Welk was a form of punishment my parents laid on me... "you have to watch Lawrence Welk with your Grandmother".
    Now when I see the show in reruns on PBS I think back to the nights when I hung out with her and I get a nice and warm feeling. Yeah the music is hokey and the costumes are laughable. But the show represents a simpler time and a bonding for young and old that just isn't there anymore. I don't see kids hanging with Grandma
    watching VH-1 Classic getting the same memories!

bunny Guest
    We get it also...I have to say I love the stuff from the 70's hahah I know sick...the sets, the hair...maybe that is why I am such a big Columbo fan...

NewYorkDoll Guest
    lol. joanne castle and her ragtime piano playing. my grandfather thought she was a hawtie.

it's a laugh riot to watch in reruns. bobby and cissy the dancers, the lennon sisters and myron floren, the hunched over accordion player.

I used to watch regularly when I was a kid. Joanne Castle, who played, Honky Tonk piano was my favorite. She replaced a guy the called Big Tiny Little. I still watch when I catch reruns on TV.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FannyB1923 Guest
    Now I'm older I appreciate it a bit more...all the talent. And the wardrobe lady- imagine whipping up 45 lime green sport coats for the band! And all the fancy dresses the women wore!

With ballroom all the rage I can see how talented Bobby and Sissy are. But it freaked me out because they weren't that much older than me. But the petticoats and the white loafers were pretty freaky. So in 1968 I was like who the heck are these people?

There was only one black person in the cast- Arthur Duncan who tap danced! And this was in the 70s! I'm thinking Mr. Welk was very shrewd. Being in show business I'm sure he knew and acknowledged the talent of nonwhite singers and musicians. But I know in my own family, the older generation was pretty set in their ways and rather prejudiced.

I always get a kick out of Larry Hooper with his big bass voice, singing "This Old House" etc!

I think Ballroom Dancing is so romantic.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

michael d Guest
    LW was an early Post-Modern genius.

The thing I remember most was my grandfather saying during the tap dance routine "its about time for them to bring out those steps for the colored guy to dance over."

bunny Guest
    Oh man I just burst out laughing at that one...thank you and your grandfather for the smile!

Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I used to watch regularly when I was a kid. Joanne Castle, who played, Honky Tonk piano was my favorite. She replaced a guy the called Big Tiny Little. I still watch when I catch reruns on TV.

we're getting old john... i remember big tiny little too lolol
    pull the string!

Always, always had to watch it at Grammie's house.

Remember the woman who played ragtime on the piano? She was talented, but the faces she made were really annoying.

BAGOBONES Guest
    THAT SHOW SUCKED!!!!!! I swear its like watching a bunch of animatrons at disney world or something lol but i did watch it.
    well at least long enough to form an opinion.

My favorite is when two robots sang obliviously about being too stoned on marijuana.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg

Bidmor Guest
    Thank-a-boyce. And now here's da lovely Lennon Sisters singing for ya, I Can't Get Nooo Satisfaction.

Paul Humphrey,in addition to Arthur Duncan,were black. Mills Bros. guested.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    Paul Humphrey,in addition to Arthur Duncan,were black. Mills Bros. guested.
    I don't recall Mr. Humphrey. Wiki says he was on from 1976-1982, so I'll have to pay attention next time I catch the show on PBS.

Baggy, that youtube clip was great! The boys even had on those cool lime jackets!

check out the one called "Disco Freakout" Bobby in yellow shoes!
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 09-11-2008 at 04:40 PM.

michael d Guest
    One of my favorite Andy Kaufman routines was with Kathie Sullivan(gospel singer on LW Show) on the tv show Fridays. Andy was good, but she really sold it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Xdh2DyXWI

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I was in it for the bubbles...ONLY THE BUBBLES!!! I was just a leetle kid and we only had three channels to chose from...One didn't work so great so just two...Pretty bubbles...

ShellBell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    ah one! ah two!

When I think of the Lawrence Welk Show, I have bizarre, frightening memories of polyester and lots of yellow.

*shiver*

Paul is the drummer. There is actually a salute to disco episode .

NOVSTORM Guest
    My first cousin was married to LW neice. He was hard to work for and a dictator. He under paid he Lennon sisters and they were not allowed to sing anywhere wihtout his permission. One of the elder sister wrote a book after their father was murdered about her life with LW. I can't remember the name of the book but it wasn;t too flattering. When the one sister had an affair with one of the men on the show and he divorced his wife and left her with 7 kids the shit hit the fan and I dont know if the sisters got fired or they quit the show. The girls did not become millionaire working for LW.But his neice did not speak too highly of him but then she was a pita. Thhought she was a princess lol Of course my folks watched that show every time it was on too.

jeca Guest
    I remember watching it with my parents. I don't remember any one performer, I just have memories of awful colors and hairstyles. lol

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    My first cousin was married to LW neice. He was hard to work for and a dictator. He under paid he Lennon sisters and they were not allowed to sing anywhere wihtout his permission. One of the elder sister wrote a book after their father was murdered about her life with LW. I can't remember the name of the book but it wasn;t too flattering. When the one sister had an affair with one of the men on the show and he divorced his wife and left her with 7 kids the shit hit the fan and I dont know if the sisters got fired or they quit the show. The girls did not become millionaire working for LW.But his neice did not speak too highly of him but then she was a pita. Thhought she was a princess lol Of course my folks watched that show every time it was on too.
    without question the muscians were seasoned pros,it is unfortunate LW did'nt get out of the way and let Cates run the whole she-bang.I am surprized the band did'nt strike over the polyester,i went to the funeral of a friend of my father,the deceased in a lime leisure suit. if i was him,i would have been out of there,and i thought that in '74,proving again i was a DH before death hags were cool.

John Connor Guest
    I vaguely remember it but wasn't there this dancing couple who he called "The Newlyweds" forever? I remember them.

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    oh what a sweet memory! god bless them!!
    thank you for your kind comment regarding my grandparents. they were such wonderful people and give me such great, lasting memories.

crazedfemale Guest
    I remember going to my great grandparents' home in Houston. They had a huge console TV in the corner with my baby photo on it so I like to go over there..they always seemed to have Lawrence Welk on. I remember watching it and seeing Bobby from the Mickey Mouse Club. They passed away when I was a teenager. I then would go to my grandmother's house (their daughter), she would watch Lawrence Welk and boy she knew about the stars. She knew who was dating who, who was married to each other, their kids' names. She was a walking Lawrence Welk trivia book. She told me about the time she went out to the show in California and watched a taping (at some TV studio named KTLA or something like that) and that Lawrence Welk was such a wonderful man (well to her he was). Fast forward to last week and I walk into my parents' home and my mom is watching Lawrence Welk on the TV. I guess in 20 years I'll be watching it too...

Hoagie78 Guest

Lawrence Welk

Growing up did anyone get forced to watch Lawrence Welk ? His show was corny, campy and unintentionally funny. Lawrence would try to keep up with the times and do his version of Beatles and other current hits. Bobby & Cissy would come out and stomp out a number.

Here's a few examples. If you need a laugh, just pull up some those clips on you tube.

Yup, I was victimized by being forced to watch this show when I was growing up. Could that be considered abuse? It sure felt like it.

Although I do like the SNL version of LW with the creepy singer with the doll hands.

I grew up with the show. I have to admit, I always loved watching Joann Castle playing her ragtime piano!
    Cindy

Everytime it was on!! The Lennon Sisters were cool at the time. But it was definitely a parents' show. If I'm not mistaken they had a black tap dancer who would do soft shoe as well; I remember him being amazing to our young minds. We did not believe he was really making all those sounds with just his feet.

Nobody does soft shoe anymore do they?

Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    Everytime it was on!! The Lennon Sisters were cool at the time. But it was definitely a parents' show. If I'm not mistaken they had a black tap dancer who would do soft shoe as well; I remember him being amazing to our young minds. We did not believe he was really making all those sounds with just his feet.

Nobody does soft shoe anymore do they?
    Didn't he play the spoons too? I remember someone on that show playing spoons and I'd try so hard to play them too.

I think what I didn't like about LW growing up was the lack of skits. I loved Carol Burnett and the skits were awesome. I can remember, in my 5 year old brain, waiting for them to have a comedy skit like Carol Burnett and every week I was disappointed.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.