Thread: Ryan Shay collapsed at Olympic Trials today

Ryan Shay collapsed at Olympic Trials today

Only 28 years old, he collapsed died less than 30 minutes into today's Men's Marathon U.S. Olympic Trials in NYC. Cause of death not yet know, but it is believed to be heart-related.

Rest in peace, Ryan.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I have to admit, I was stunned.
    Those runners, although in great shape sure have to be careful about their hearts.

poppie Guest
    Sad news. Condolences to his family.

5 1/2 miles in, I guess he was a 4 time National Champion. Didn't another famous jogger die while running? I think he wrote a book espousing the benefits of running.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    5 1/2 miles in, I guess he was a 4 time National Champion. Didn't another famous jogger die while running? I think he wrote a book espousing the benefits of running.
    Wasn't that Jim Fix?
    He was a running god, back in the day.
    He dropped dead after a jog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Wasn't that Jim Fix?
    He was a running god, back in the day.
    He dropped dead after a jog.
    That's what it was. Thanks Tug.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

endsleigh03 Guest
    That is really sad news

cherryghost Guest
    Lets guess performance enhancing drugs?

cherryghost Guest
    Like heath lets blame him for his death even if he just made a mistake!

Maruz83 Guest
    HGH ?????????

Lots of people have undiagnosed heart conditions that are only found when they die, especially people who are super athletic. This happened to me a few years ago, the only way I found out about it was that I thought I pulled muscles in my chest and back, but I wasn't getting better. I could barely walk I was in so much pain. I went to the doctor, and got admitted to hospital immediately. I was lucky, cuz it was found before I croaked!

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    Lots of people have undiagnosed heart conditions that are only found when they die, especially people who are super athletic. This happened to me a few years ago, the only way I found out about it was that I thought I pulled muscles in my chest and back, but I wasn't getting better. I could barely walk I was in so much pain. I went to the doctor, and got admitted to hospital immediately. I was lucky, cuz it was found before I croaked!
    phew!! thank goodness!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]