Thread: TV Dinners...yum, yum!

Danny62 Guest

TV Dinners...yum, yum!

Okay, lets hear some thoughts on these nummy taste treats. I think we have alot of baby boomers that grew up on these!

I know during the 50's they were going to change the way the homemakers prepared food. They had designed into kitchen plan's freezers and special ovens so you could eat these every night!!!

Don't worry about all the sodium in them!! LOL

Kathyf Guest
    I used to love the salbury steak or meatloaf. I remember there was always one thing in there I would never eat.

Shes Not There Guest
    I love the ZZ top song "TV Dinners"

I go for Banquet Salisbury Steak and the Old El Paso mexican entrees

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I used to love the salbury steak or meatloaf. I remember there was always one thing in there I would never eat.
    Let me guess...the green peas??

They grossed me out...tasted like heated up little green round puke ballls...well that is what I called them!

deathybrad Guest
    There's peas in my browny. There's peas everywhere...

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Let me guess...the green peas??

They grossed me out...tasted like heated up little green round puke ballls...well that is what I called them!
    Yes the peas and whatever they called pudding(was like slime)

djdeath-hag Guest
    Ahhhh the memories! Does anyone else recall the ones aimed at kids.....back in the early 70's? I don't recall the name or brand.....but they used pirate themes and ALWAYS had pudding. I know that there are hags here who have no recollection of tv dinners that came before microwaves......but trust us old folks....they used to come in compartmentalized tin trays....and as Dan mentioned.....salt was the main ingredient. What is even MORE frightening.....I recall that it was a special TREAT to get to eat these things!

Kathyf Guest
    LOL We only could have them if my dad went fishing out of town.

Jaxxx Guest
    Oh My God, I remember thinking TV dinners were the greatest when I was a kid, but Mom wasn't the greatest cook. I liked the Turkey/Dressing one.

Kathyf Guest
    It was a big treat for us. We would also go to K-mart once a month to get the coke Slush (slurpee) I loved that. Nothing is special like that anymore.

Danny62 Guest
    Yes the peas and whatever they called pudding(was like slime)
    And those dam aluminum trays they came in! with the aluminum foil tops!!

I would sometimes get the tin foil mixed in with the meal!

disco Guest
    When I was a kid, I would die (appropriate for this forum) for a swanson tv dinner. My favorite was fried chicken and the meat loaf thingy. I would get one, heat up that big ole oven and cook that little thing, watching and savoring the smell or whatever. Gas musta been cheap then cause that was a big ole stove.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Ahhhh the memories! Does anyone else recall the ones aimed at kids.....back in the early 70's? I don't recall the name or brand.....but they used pirate themes and ALWAYS had pudding. I know that there are hags here who have no recollection of tv dinners that came before microwaves......but trust us old folks....they used to come in compartmentalized tin trays....and as Dan mentioned.....salt was the main ingredient. What is even MORE frightening.....I recall that it was a special TREAT to get to eat these things!
    Oh yes, I loved those. The manufacturer was Libby's and they were called Libbyland dinners. Yes, it was a special treat! The one thing I could never understand was the concept of pudding. Who in their right mind eats hot pudding?

For the young death hags here on the board, the equivalent today is called "Kid Cuisine" and those are microwaveable. Back in the old days, microwaves didn't exist. Can you even imagine???

Check out the following link for everything you ever wanted to know about Libbyland dinners:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/fod12.html
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Kathyf Guest
    Thanks Geeky I remembered as soon as you wote the name. My kids used to eat the Kid Cuisine when they were younger.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Thank you, GeekyGirl! You've personally prevented me from a sleepless night...lying in bed next to the "near-comatose.....but not quite in a persistant vegetative state" husbear. You, my dear death hag....are a LIFESAVER! (what flavor is yours?)

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Thank you, GeekyGirl! You've personally prevented me from a sleepless night...lying in bed next to the "near-comatose.....but not quite in a persistant vegetative state" husbear. You, my dear death hag....are a LIFESAVER! (what flavor is yours?)
    You are too sweet! This board is great and so are its members... Alas, I finally feel at home.

Hmm, that would make a great thread in itself, but I think my flavor would be butter rum. Yum!

I love the ZZ top song "TV Dinners"
    "If the sauce is not too blue"-My sister's all-time fave song lyric, LOL.

Meatloaf was my fave, I think. And the brownie was always a special treat. Mashed potatoes with fake yellow buttery stuff on em? Yep!

I liked Stouffer's spinach crepes, too.

I used to find a t.v. dinner a treat. There was something about the insta-meal in compartments that was cool, even if the food wasn't the tastiest.

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I had a microwave version last night for dinner, and it was Salisbury Steak! Made dinner for the kids, but didn't feel like cooking for myself.

Cheers,
    Amy

Gary Guest
    I love Swansons and Banquets TV dinners. Always have, always will. I miss the aluminum trays....*sigh*
    My favorite ones now are Chicken Fried Steak with the white gravy and just about any Hungry Man dinner.

Morbid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I love Swansons and Banquets TV dinners. Always have, always will. I miss the aluminum trays....*sigh*
    My favorite ones now are Chicken Fried Steak with the white gravy and just about any Hungry Man dinner.

TV Dinners?

I think my mom had purchased stock in Swanson's company..lol.

We probably had those things at least 4 days a week..if not more
    my all time favorite was the turkey dinner..not so much the dark
    meat but the white..with the gravy!! (who the hell doesn't love gravy)
    and I would agree that they were WAY better in the aluminum foil wrap.

Cheap also..$1.39 I remember...ahhh,the good old days!

That and Dolly Madison cakes!

-Morbid1

ComputerGuy Guest
    Boston Markets TV Dinners are awesome. The Turkey, Salisbury Steak are great. Need to find a different cut of meat for the Beef Tips Portabello.

They also neet to trash the tart tasting apple crisp crap in the turkey dinner because it carmelizes into the turkey

Gary Guest
    Dolly Madison was good, but I prefer Hostess.

Morbid1 Guest
    Dolly Madison was good, but I prefer Hostess.
    Just for you Gary!

I love these heart clogging baby's!

-Morbid1

Gary Guest
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmtwinkieeeees

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmtwinkieeeees
    Did you know that if you try to set a Twinkie on fire, it doesn't burn? Seriously, it's true. One of my son's classmates did his science fair project on the lack of inflamability of Twinkies. For this reason, twinkies are the perfect snack in event of nuclear war!

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Did you know that if you try to set a Twinkie on fire, it doesn't burn? Seriously, it's true. One of my son's classmates did his science fair project on the lack of inflamability of Twinkies. For this reason, twinkies are the perfect snack in event of nuclear war!
    And who says this is a useless forum.............

endsleigh03 Guest
    Yes, me too, ALWAYS.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid1 View Post
    Just for you Gary!

I love these heart clogging baby's!

-Morbid1
    Ok, thats it...I am off to the store shortly