Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

**Jenna** Guest
    OMG thats crazy and kinda funny at the same time.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Selling fat drippings? That’s doesn’t sound very pleasing.
    I have never heard of this fat dripping selling person before; Thanks for the post though. I will have to look it up sometime. J

lab_rat Guest

Read any good books lately?

I am always looking for a good book to read. Read any lately? I am currently reading "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson, which I think I am going to enjoy immensely.

Littleroben Guest
    I read 'Evil Spirits' recently, its a biography of Oliver Reed. It was a really good read on my hols.

Kinda depends on what kind of books you like. As a rule I prefer nonfiction or biographies. Having said that, I recently finished the novel "The Kite Runner" on which the movie is based. The first bit is a little hard to get through, trying to keep names straight etc., but a lot of interesting insite into Afganistanian culture/life; currently reading "She's Come Undone" another novel. So far so good, not to far into it yet.

On the nonfiction side, if you want to raise your eyebrows a few times (), "The Hot Zone" is highly recommended. It's an older book, '80s or so, but completely true. I know some people who have connections. Lady Bird Johnson's autobiography is very enjoyable. "City on Fire" is about the Texas City disaster when the cargo ship the Grandcamp exploded back in the '40s; again a good read.

lab_rat Guest
    I liked both Kite Runner and She's Come Undone. A Thousand Splendid Suns and I Know This Much Is True, which are by the same two authors, are also both fabulous.

I'll have to look into those!

sunshine74137 Guest
    The Castle in The Forrest by Norman Mailer A fictionallized account of Hitler as a child growing up.

hoxharding Guest
    I have so many books of my 'going to read' pile. But here are a few I am reading at the moment:

1) Madness by Marya Hornbacher
    2) Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk
    3) California Dreaming( An A List book) by Zoey Dean
    4) Broken Wings by VC Andrews

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I have so many books of my 'going to read' pile. But here are a few I am reading at the moment:

1) Madness by Marya Hornbacher
    2) Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk
    3) California Dreaming( An A List book) by Zoey Dean
    4) Broken Wings by VC Andrews
    I absolutely love Marya Hornbacher I didn't know about madness I read Wasted

I just started Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Hard to put down. This particular translation is supposed to be very good - by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I haven't read any other version so nothing to compare to. I have quite a pile of books waiting - some Hag books, some on Catholic religion (I'm considering converting); one by Mother Theresa (No Greater Love); Koontz; Patterson; The Incorruptibles, etc.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I just started Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Hard to put down. This particular translation is supposed to be very good - by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I haven't read any other version so nothing to compare to. I have quite a pile of books waiting - some Hag books, some on Catholic religion (I'm considering converting); one by Mother Theresa (No Greater Love); Koontz; Patterson; The Incorruptibles, etc.
    Anna Karenina, I hve seen it a couple of times at the ballet but never read it.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    I absolutely love Marya Hornbacher I didn't know about madness I read Wasted

It is her most recent book- At the age of 24 she was diagnosed as Type 1 rapid-cycle,bi-polar. According to the book flap, this is the most severe of Bi-polar disorder.

I decided to start reading 'Madness', I got it this afternoon. This is just my opionion,but if reading graphic descriptions of self-cutting upsets you in anyway-be careful.

I get grossed out when reading descriptions of it. Plus, I am dizzy today(for some reason I get dizzy when it rains)

Anyway, I had to put the book aside because it was really me to feel awful. It is very descriptive.
    Last edited by hoxharding; 05-23-2008 at 02:07 PM.

'Shot in the Heart' by Mikal Gilmore, Gary Gilmore's brother. It was recommended to me by Mrs. Watson. It's really good!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I read a good part of Anna Karenina and left the damn book on a plane!

lab_rat Guest
    These all sound like good books! Keep the ideas coming!

knothere Guest
    im supposed to be reading
    ghost towns of ontario by ron brown vol 2

I am currently reading The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. It's a page turner about a couple running for their life.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

hoxharding Guest
    Great writer-
    Ray Garton- his newest book is titled 'Ravenous' which involves
    werewolves.(and no, it is not cheesy)

knothere Guest
    my sister has a fortune in books they r all over her house in shelves thats what she does she works shes a damn good cook and she reads n reads 4 ever

mel306 Guest
    Just finished Ordeal by Linda Lovelace. Interesting to say the least.

Typical death hag that I am, I have read the following in the last year:

The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears

The Diana Chronicles

In Cold Blood

The Times We Had

Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide

In April, I turned 45. It was a hard birthday because the number represents middle age to me and everything is downhill from there. I have to remember that this is a feeling and not fact. Beginning a little bit before my birthday when it actually hit me that I was turning 45, I started concentrating on my looks, style and fighting age with whitened tooth and acrylic nail. Some of my books regarding this subject include:

Thalia: !Belleza!: Lessons in Lipgloss and Happiness

How Not to Look Old

Making Faces

Makeup Your Mind

Glamour's Big Book of Dos and Don'ts: Fashion Help for Every Woman

I am also a magazine whore, even before I turned 45. I love People, Vogue, Elle, Glamour, The New Yorker, Cosmopolitan, In Style, Lucky, Marie Claire, Nordstrom's Monthly Catalog, and occassionally when no one is looking, The National Enquirer. But of all the magazines in the world, my absolute favorite is Vanity Fair. I know when it hits the news stands and get my copy the first day it is released. I used to subscribe to it, but it would come about a week later after it hit the news stands.

Wow, what a great post this is, not just for getting a listing of Death Hag faves, but to realize how much I have actually read in the last year.

Interesting note: I was at the funeral of my husband's cousin earlier this week, and in attendance was Vincent Bugliosi, the author of the first Death Hag-ish novel that I ever read, Helter Skelter. I think this is the book that turned me into a Death Hag. My Husband didn't tell me that he was there until we were on our way home, and I was so disappointed that I didn't get to meet him... my Husband didn't know who Bugliosi was, or that he would have been a fascinating person to talk to, or at the very least, shake hands with. Grrrr!

But it's probably better that I didn't get to talk to him because I would have stuck to him like flypaper and asked him all kinds of inappropriate questions for a family funeral conversation. I would have loved to talk to him and get inside info on the Manson Family Murders, possible Manson victims at Barker Ranch, and what he thinks about OJ, The Hillside Strangler case, Phil Spector, Drew Peterson, Scott Peterson, Robert Blake, The Black Dahlia, and on and on and on. Oh well, I guess meeting Bugliosi wasn't meant to happen.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Nope, too busy on this forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

VSA Guest
    The Ice Man-Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Phillip Carlo.

25. 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM

hoxharding Guest
    I went to Goodwill today and got a few books.
    One is 'Times Square':Behind the Glitter and the Lights:The True Story of an Undercover Cop on the Toughest Beat in America.
    by William Sherman
    It says the cop worked undercover in Times Square by 10 years.

deathhagcutie Guest
    water for elephants..

mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I went to Goodwill today and got a few books.
    One is 'Times Square':Behind the Glitter and the Lights:The True Story of an Undercover Cop on the Toughest Beat in America.
    by William Sherman
    It says the cop worked undercover in Times Square by 10 years.
    I hit the Salvation Army here and all books are a quarter or .$50 if hard cover. I let me son go crazy since he was little and get as many as he wants.

I think the round robin idea is a great one. I love to read and have books everywhere. I hate to throw them out and I would love to know that they were going somewhere that they would be appreciated. I had to stop buying books and start going to the library since I am running out of room for them in my little townhouse.

My tastes are varied. I enjoy VC Andrews (since I was a teenager), Jude Deveraux (the only romance novelist I will read), I have some true crime and haunting books, I have some fictional crime books, then some drama and comedy books. My favorites change. Right now I love "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult and "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. Another good one is "Drowning Ruth" by Christina Schwarz (this one was in Oprah's book club).

I'm always open to new book suggestions and always willing to suggest books. A good death hag book, if it already hasn't been mentioned is "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. A very interesting read.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I just bought this one today! Looking forward to reading it...
    I read it too. Very moving - I cried at the end.

hoxharding Guest
    I noticed R. Patrick Gates will have a new book out-
    He writes horror mainly and Sci-Fi.
    What is weird is his books are entertaining and I have only found one person who read one of his books(and wasn't that impressed)
    Even more weird? I can't get any information on the author!

One of his books was a twisted on Fairy Tales-(it has a sequel)
    'Grimm Memorials'
    It is about a New England town that has a cute house on the edge of town. She puts a curse on the town and soon people are being killed,by
    'people' such as Little Red Riding Hood!

Since I am thinking of it, I wonder if anyone has heard of this book- I found it once at the library and it was gone the next time I checked. I mean was not even there anymore!

I swear it was titled '9th Symphony'
    The author's name looked like an alias for some reason and there was no bio about the author. Now, I know all of Dead Koontz's aliases are accounted for. But one thing I do recall about the book is this. There was a hero who meets and falls in love with the heroine. One of them also has a DOG who is mentioned often in the book.(Koontz loves to put dogs in his writings)
    It read very much like a Koontz book with the exception of some brutal passages of the likes I have not seen in his boooks(with the exception of one of his earlier books)
    It involved work tools,men using orifices on a person they created with the tools which lead to the victim's death.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by hoxharding; 05-27-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Black Angel Guest
    Just finished Stephen King's latest, " Duma Key " I thought it was very good.
    I've just started " The last Lecture " by Randy Pausch. So sad he's dying.
    Waiting in the wings is Dean Koontz's newest " Odd Hours " it's the fourth in a
    series he's written about a character named Odd Thomas. All have been good
    reads, so I expect this one will be also.

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    water for elephants..
    I loved this book!!!
    I just finished Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson..it is a quick, light read...I enjoyed it.
    Right now I am reading The Black Flower by Howard Bahr...it is set during the civil war and so far I really like it.

Still trying to drag myself through Mister B. Goode the newest from Clive Barker. It's really, really gross and graphic, but not especially scary.

Speaking of Clive Barker, here's my "brush-with-a-Star" story. Clive Barker was in town last summer to give a speech at a dinner honouring Stephen King, and he agreed to come in for a radio interview with us. I went down to bring him thru security and i was REALLY nervous - I'm a huge, huge Clive Barker fan. He turned out to be incredibly nice though; slouching around in ripped jeans, very easy to talk to. I was too chickenshit to ask for an autograph, so my boss asked him for me (without telling me about it). He asked for a pen and paper and not only did he sign it, he took the time to draw that famous picture of Pinhead from Hellraiser for me (he's a well-knkown ilustrator - the movie poster Pinhead pics were drawn by Barker). I haven't had it framed yet but i'm gonna.
    One other note. He was little tipsy when he arrived here (whisky, going by the scent), but when it was time to go on, he sobered right up. Amazing...

After putting it down for a couple of months and reading other stuff, I've picked up 'The Executioner's Song' by Norman Mailer again. It reads sooooo slooooow, and the sentence fragments bother me.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Still trying to drag myself through Mister B. Goode the newest from Clive Barker. It's really, really gross and graphic, but not especially scary.

Speaking of Clive Barker, here's my "brush-with-a-Star" story. Clive Barker was in town last summer to give a speech at a dinner honouring Stephen King, and he agreed to come in for a radio interview with us. I went down to bring him thru security and i was REALLY nervous - I'm a huge, huge Clive Barker fan. He turned out to be incredibly nice though; slouching around in ripped jeans, very easy to talk to. I was too chickenshit to ask for an autograph, so my boss asked him for me (without telling me about it). He asked for a pen and paper and not only did he sign it, he took the time to draw that famous picture of Pinhead from Hellraiser for me (he's a well-knkown ilustrator - the movie poster Pinhead pics were drawn by Barker). I haven't had it framed yet but i'm gonna.
    One other note. He was little tipsy when he arrived here (whisky, going by the scent), but when it was time to go on, he sobered right up. Amazing...
    That is so cool!! you should get the autograph framed and don't hang it where the sun will hit it, it will fade it out.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I just finished the Twilight series. I know, they're young adult books, but I fell in love with them. The final book is coming out in August and then the movie based on the first book is coming out at Christmas.
    I read they are filming the second book right now. Young Adult books seem to be very trendy right now. They are not just for young adults it seems.
    I have wanted to write a Young Adult books series for years and I sometimes keep an eye on the market.
    There is one series you might like to give a try- 'The Uglies','The Pretties'.'The Specials' and 'The Extras'
    They have social commentary and it is in the future and is fun to read.
    This is silly, but I have read 'The A-List' series by Zoey Dean,which is soap,fluffy fun. I am reading the first volume of one of the 'Gossip Girl' spin-offs.
    'The It Girl'
    The second series is actually not a spin-off-it is a restart of 'Gossip Girl' with all new characters. 'The Carlyles'

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    That is so cool!! you should get the autograph framed and don't hang it where the sun will hit it, it will fade it out.
    Yeah, I keep meaning to; right now it's stored between the pages of a big fat book (not one of his)

RoRo Guest
    I just finished Patricia Cornwell's new one The Front, which is the next story with the characters from At Risk...I usually love her books but these two just let me down...she could do so much more with them and the endings seem like she just got tired of writing the story and wrapped them up.
    I am about to start a new book called When Television Was Young....seems interesting

JestersKiss Guest
    Just finished this book

Pretty good, some awesome photos of vintage Hollywood

JestersKiss Guest
    Just started this

Genevieve Guest

Death Book Recommendation

Hi,

Couldn't find a thread along these lines so I'm starting one.

A film reviewer I admire has been blogging about a book he's reading, it's full of gory, morbid detail and should be right up everyone's alley. It's "Fade to Black, A Book of Movie Obituaries" by Paul Donnelley. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fade-Black-B...3052999&sr=1-1 (earlier publications are cheaper so search around before buying)
    I haven't read it but I definitely want to check it out. Anyone else got some must-reads?

msmojorisin84 Guest
    http://www.amazon.com/Buried-Fitting...3053499&sr=8-1

Where Are They Buried? How Did They Die?-Todd Benoit

Excellent book, that even gives the directions to the cemetary where the subject is buried!

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Exits-Il...3053595&sr=1-1

Final Exits:An Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die- Michael Largo

An alphabetized list of random ways that people have died. I give it two thumbs and two big toes up!!

Vamp Guest
    I've read Where are They Buried? I highly recommend it!

Genevieve Guest
    Nice work, I've had a look at the descriptions and those books sound terrific.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    They are!!! I hope you take a look at them and enjoy!

Find A Death Fan Guest
    Helter Skelter was a good read. Im still suprised at how many people that think the murders was random though....

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I'm currently reading The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi.
    It's about Italy's own "Jack the Ripper," a serial killer who haunted Florence and its environs for over 20 years--and who remains unidentified and at large to this day.
    The killer targeted young people, parked in cars in the hills surrounding Florence, Italy. He always waited until the couples were actually making love prior to striking...so he caught them in the most vulnerable possible state. His hatred was definitely reserved for the women though; generally the men were shot to death (to get them out of the way), and the women were shot/stabbed to death and then horribly mutilated (sexual organs cut out and kept by the killer).

This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read about the desperation felt by the public and police during times of extreme stress, and the incredibly stupid (and ultimately self-serving) mistakes made by those in positions of power.

I literally can't put this one down; highly recommended for all death hags!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51XG11YEONL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	5950  

"Scars of Sweet Paradise: Janis Joplin story". Pretty good stuff, since you get to know the REAL Janis. Some of it's pretty cringeworthy if you thought all she did was shoot up heroin, since she was a bit of "slut" too.

Gorey Guest
    I have about 3000 books on true crime, serial killers, cemeteries, death, celebrity deaths, postmortem, and forensics. I also have biographies of old British royalty . I've read them all. Which one shall I name?? Right now I'm reading about the Marion Parker case, Jack the Ripper, and Encyclopedia of true crime. Simultaneously. Oh I crochet to sell and am making an embroidered quilt for mom.

Gorey Guest
    Guys, I'm depressed. I've already read 95% of the books we all have listed here. I still have them and have reread most of them. Help me find some new reading!!!!