Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891017 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post
    but the books that we read today may well be considered classics themselves one day

Oh yes! I think Alice Walker and maybe Toni Morrison will be on that list one day.

hoxharding Guest
    Both 'Out' and 'Grotesque' are definite reads.
    The first one is a group of women that start out trying to hide a murder and are black-mailed into working with the Yacuza.
    The second one is mainly from one woman's viewpoint. Her sister was murdered and an old school friend was also murdered.
    You see what it was like growing up and you see what they become. Not a cheerful book-very psychological. The author is one of the top writers in Japan. I am surprised she only has two books translated here.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Oh yes! I think Alice Walker and maybe Toni Morrison will be on that list one day.

i think stephen king should definately be on the list

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    the list would probably also include dan brown i didnt think his books were that great but some people did

surprisingly i enjoyed the davinci code movie

marimbagirl Guest
    I like Angels and Demons much better then the Da Vinci Code. The rest of his books....meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    NO! NO!

I can't DO that. One at a TIME! I have some really hot used ones here that just came in the mail. However, I'm not through with DNA/trace evidence collection on them yet. After, that, I shall snuggle up with them ONE at a TIME. You know how it is, trick someone into getting their DNA, you have to make the most of it.
    That would be neat. But what if the person kept the books in a sterile environ and wore nitrile gloves while reading the books? You may have a hard time with that. You should just go ahead and read the books. I would be more worried about anthrax powder in pages 154-189.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cherryghost Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    What should us Christopher Moore fans be called?
    Moore-ites
    Moore-arians

Hopefully not:
    Moore-ons
    or
    Moore-men

A Moore Fan Club?
    Covey of Moores
    School of Moores
    Pride of Moores
    Mor-bids?

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Mor-bids?
    Ha!
    Thank You!

Mor-bids?
    Yeah yeah! That's it!

Talking

Hey, who says it has to be intellectual? I've tried to read many of the 'classic' authors and could not do it. No Dostoyevsky, Dickens, or Victor Hugo for me!

I can't read fiction crime stuff. I'm like, Oh, bullshit! Are there any that are really really realistic?

Also, was anyone else not impressed by The DaVinci Code? I did not get the hype. I finished it and said, "So?" Plus Dan Brown's incessant use of incessant foreshadowing drove me insane.

Biggest over hyped work of disapointing fiction taken as fact I have ever read. Blah!!! And how about that horrible movie. Holy Blood Holy grail was far better in my opinion.
    And I want 800 books 2 that forshadows my measly 600 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth32 View Post
    Holy Blood Holy grail was far better in my opinion.
    And I want 800 books 2 that forshadows my measly 600 lol
    I actually have that one on one of the bookcases, but haven't read it yet. Hmmm.

This is turning out to be a successful thread!

coleysabusybabe Guest
    I've never read The Witching Hour, my boyfriend says the Mayfair books are far superior to the Vampire Chronicles.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorites. I've read it at least half a dozen times, along with The Color Purple. The language is so wonderful you can just snuggle up in the story.

I read a lot of nonfiction, so Jack Olsen is my favorite author at the moment. Everything I've ever read by him has been wonderful.
    The book Last Man Standing is phenominal by Jack Olsen. I too am a book nerd! My problem is that i become overly analytical about the books I am reading and will often re-read them to be sure that I correctly read what I read the first time. I also had developed this fascination with Hitler's regime for a while and read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich twice (once in order to read all the footnotes and then again to read it without the footnotes) and Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary which was used largely for the movie Downfall. SOOOOOOO GOOD to be a book nerd!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I just picked up Julie Andrews' new autobiography, "Home: A Memoir of my Early Years." So far, it's fantastic...fascinating and NOT ghost-written.
    She's a real gem of a lady, imo.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I've never read The Witching Hour, my boyfriend says the Mayfair books are far superior to the Vampire Chronicles.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorites. I've read it at least half a dozen times, along with The Color Purple. The language is so wonderful you can just snuggle up in the story.

I read a lot of nonfiction, so Jack Olsen is my favorite author at the moment. Everything I've ever read by him has been wonderful.
    The Witching Hour is great. I need new copies so I can reread.

Quote Originally Posted by coleysabusybabe View Post
    The book Last Man Standing is phenominal by Jack Olsen. I too am a book nerd! My problem is that i become overly analytical about the books I am reading and will often re-read them to be sure that I correctly read what I read the first time. I also had developed this fascination with Hitler's regime for a while and read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich twice (once in order to read all the footnotes and then again to read it without the footnotes) and Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary which was used largely for the movie Downfall. SOOOOOOO GOOD to be a book nerd!
    I'm pretty sure I read that one, it was about Geronimo Pratt? Salt of the Earth is my fave Jack Olsen, and Misbegotten Son.

hoxharding Guest
    'Charlie's Web' by Joy Fielding(love her books)

Also- for mainly Pulp Fiction:
    Jim Thompson- he wrote 'After Dark,My Sweet', 'The Killer Inside Me' and some other novels.
    'The Killer Inside Me' was made into a film(quite a few of his writing was made into films)
    It is about a Sheriff who is also a serial killer.

alessa Guest
    I just read a new book, Rock n Roll Heaven, a book about all the pop musicians that are now in the big theater in the sky, with info on deaths, funerals, graves, etc.

ajurk Guest
    i like Chuck Palahniuk, Choke is prob. my favorite from him.

angels and demons def. better then da vinci code.

the lovely bones is good, and depressing. i liked the idea of ryan gossling playing the dad more then marky mark.

liked anne rice and the vampire chronicles until memnoch the devil, i dont think i got through the first chapter.

favorite books:
    their eyes were watching god - zora neale hurston
    ordinary people - judith guest

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajurk View Post
    i like Chuck Palahniuk, Choke is prob. my favorite from him.

angels and demons def. better then da vinci code.

the lovely bones is good, and depressing. i liked the idea of ryan gossling playing the dad more then marky mark.

liked anne rice and the vampire chronicles until memnoch the devil, i dont think i got through the first chapter.

favorite books:
    their eyes were watching god - zora neale hurston
    ordinary people - judith guest
    I've never forgotten "Ordinary People" either, and I read it over 25 years ago! What a wonderful book (and also a great film, perfectly cast).

Judith Guest wrote a crime novel, "The Tarnished Eye," just a few years ago...about the mass murder of an entire family in their home and the investigation into, well, who dunnit. It was SUPERB and scary as hell, I literally couldn't put it down. Highly recommended for death hags!

hoxharding Guest
    Here a couple of books I am reading"
    'The Ghosts on the 87th Lane' by M.L. Woelm
    and
    'Ghost Hunting' by Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson with Michael Jan Friedman

My mom appears to be a closet Death Hag! She's highly recommended this book to me, about death and the American Civil War. My sister had to leave the room when my mom flashed pictures from the book of a man being embalmed and another dying of gangrene!

_This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War_ by Drew Gilpin Faust

Here's part of the review blurb from Washington Post's Book World on the book (as quoted on Amazon dot com):

"Faust shows how American institutions adapted to the staggering burden of this new kind of war and wholesale death with a blend of can-do humanitarianism, pragmatic improvisation, mawkish sentimentality, political cant, commercial hucksterism and downright fraud. Freelance embalmers flocked to battlefields in the aftermath of the fighting. "Bodies taken from Antietam Battle Field and delivered to Cars or Express Office at short notice and low rates," read the business card of one entrepreneur. "Bodies Embalmed by us NEVER TURN BLACK! But retain their natural color and appearance," boasted another. In 1863, a Washington undertaker was imprisoned on charges of making a practice of recovering and embalming dead soldiers without permission and then extorting payment from families that wanted the bodies returned.

Faust convincingly demonstrates that the trauma of the Civil War revolutionized the American military's approach to caring for the dead and notifying families. After the war, a massive and superbly organized effort by the War Department to recover, identify and rebury Union dead in newly established national cemeteries was an act of atonement for the nation's failings during the war itself."

hoxharding Guest
    I bought a bunch of books the other day-here are 2:
    1) Harold and Maude by Colin Higgins
    2)'The Exorcist and the Possessed:The Truth about Exorcism' by Christopher Neil-Smith

Here are some books that are supposed to be good(that I haven't personally read)
    1) The Blood of Strangers:Stories from Emergency Medicine by Frank Huyler
    2)Lustmord:The Writings and Artifacts of Murders Edited by Brian King
    3)After The Funeral:The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses by Edwin Murphy
    4) Funeral Customs:Their Origin and Development by Bertram S. Puckle

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    "Bodies Embalmed by us NEVER TURN BLACK!"
    Oh my GAWD!!!! That's quite a selling point!

Thought I would play alchemist and raise the dead.......(this thread I mean). I was wrong in the Goodfellas thread about the title of Henry Hill's book I was reading. It's called: Gangsters and Goodfellas: The Mob, Witness Protection, and Life On the Run. Good stuff; it picks up where Wiseguys left off. He answers all the questions you wondered about at the end of the movie! Pick it up TODAY!!!! Or else....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

SueWahoo Guest
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. He's the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft. I got it for Xmas and I've read it 5 or 6 times already.

cherryghost Guest
    I have just read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy......a suitable read for a deathhag.....harrowing and beautifully descriptive! Recommended!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I have just read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy......a suitable read for a deathhag.....harrowing and beautifully descriptive! Recommended!
    I just bought this one today! Looking forward to reading it...

PvN73 Guest
    Non death hag related:

I love anything by Douglas Coupland, he is hilarious and such differnt style of books.

I loved the book My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Maddox, it was such a bizzare book to read.

Also loved the book by Rosalie Ham called The Dressmaker. It is an Australian book, I loved it.

I love reading travel books, especially any by Bill Bryson. I laugh out loud reading them, his descriptions of people, places and observations are just fantastic! If ever you want to be cheered up, I highly recommend him.

Nick Hornby is good too, I just absolutely love his book High Fidelity (yes I thought the movie was great too).

Oh and while I am at it, American Gods & Anasai Boys by Neil Gaiman, they both were crazy amazing!

I am sure I will add some more later on! I love reading!!!!

alicecooper91 Guest
    I started rereading Alice Cooper, Golf Monster yesterday. I've also been sorta into the Chicken Soup books.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I just bought this one today! Looking forward to reading it...
    Let me know what you think Jacko I woke up in the middle of the night to keep reading it the other night!

Im a painter and just had a big MFA exhibition of my work at a very good Gallery in Sydney. The bloke who I got to hang it for me told me the paintings I had done reminded him so much of the book and that I should read it! He than settled on a painting of mine as payment for his work! That was enough for me to dash out and try very hard to find it! Its hard to get here!

Also books by Tim Winton, "Dirt Music", also "The Turning" (great short stories) are fantastic reads! He also wrote "Cloudstreet" beautiful, horrific stories set in Australia that are so evocative of the landscape and people here! He is in MHO our greatest writer.

Luke Davies is good too, He wrote "Candy" which was make into a film with Heath Leger!

There is my Australian input for the day!

Meanwhile Im also reading "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller in spurts which is more palatable than in one big hit!

PvN73 would you agree on the Aussie plugs?
    Last edited by cherryghost; 04-29-2008 at 03:34 AM.

cherryghost Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    currently reading "The Secret"... I'm not a big reader so I've been reading this book for almost a year now. I pick it up when I am proctoring 4 hour tests (which I do for side cash, boring but every little bit helps).
    I have just bought "The New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle to gain my equilibrium in this harsh world, I did love "The power of Now" and was able to stay in the moment all the time I was reading it and then got lost again! Oprah is now on his bandwagon and may be deconstructing his credibility but I... I... I... was put onto him by a friend who is a gay Jesuit priest! So there .... about 8 yrs ago! Not that its all about me or anything.

I like a good self help book cus Im very gullible when it comes to positive thinking even though Im a natural realist by nature!

cherryghost Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    currently reading "The Secret"... I'm not a big reader so I've been reading this book for almost a year now. I pick it up when I am proctoring 4 hour tests (which I do for side cash, boring but every little bit helps).
    Got a bit cynical by the Australian expose of "The Secret" I think it was written by an expat Aussie and she and her crew are being discredited by the Australian press here a lot! Let us know what you think all words are powerful and if it works for you thats all that matters! Ya!

I just bought "The New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, I read "The Power of Now" recommended to me by a gay jesuit priest yrs ago and was able to stay in the moment untill I finished the book! Oprah has jumped on his band wagon and is possibly deconstucting his credibility somewhat but I still think the man is a good guide by just a few of his ideas at least!

Im very gullible to positive thought even though Im a natural born fatalist!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 04-29-2008 at 03:50 AM.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I'm in the process of reading "The Ghost of 87th Lane" by M L Woelm. It's a true story about a haunting. Have you read "Cemetary Tales"? That's a behind the scenes kind of book that I loved. Also, on HBO yesterday, they had the documentary of Hollywood Forever Cemetary on. It was great!

I tried to read 'The Ghost of 87th Lane' and what I read was very
    fascinating. Thing is, I didn't have the patience to finish it. I kept wondering why the family stayed there for so many years.
    Here are some fun reads:
    1) Ravenous by Ray Garton(almost anything by him is excellent)
    2) House of Blood and Queen of Blood by Bryan Smith

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Let me know what you think Jacko I woke up in the middle of the night to keep reading it the other night!

Im a painter and just had a big MFA exhibition of my work at a very good Gallery in Sydney. The bloke who I got to hang it for me told me the paintings I had done reminded him so much of the book and that I should read it! He than settled on a painting of mine as payment for his work! That was enough for me to dash out and try very hard to find it! Its hard to get here!

Also books by Tim Winton, "Dirt Music", also "The Turning" (great short stories) are fantastic reads! He also wrote "Cloudstreet" beautiful, horrific stories set in Australia that are so evocative of the landscape and people here! He is in MHO our greatest writer.

Luke Davies is good too, He wrote "Candy" which was make into a film with Heath Leger!

Meanwhile Im also reading "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller in spurts which is more palatable than in one big hit!

Congratulations Cherry on getting an exhibition! That is AWESOME! My best friend is a painter so I know what a milestone it is to get shown in a decent gallery, much less a good one! I've got several of his pieces hung in my home...
    I'd love to see some of your work if you ever want to post!

PvN73 Guest

Like Just Jack said, congrats on the showing, that is great news! One day you might come down to Melbourne to show your work - let me know I would love to go!

Yes, great Aussie picks there, I saw that there was a big article on Tim Winton in the weekend papers but I didnt get around to stealing a copy from work to read it. I read Candy years ago as well I think when it had just come out, it was so heart wrenching to read (I have not seen the movie though).

I have read a few Australian books - have you read these ones:

Neal Drinnan - Pussy's bow (based in Melbourne, it was funny, strange but funny)

Sarah Dazmody - Ticket to Ride - a kinda travelly book based on her getting a green card to the US and going on the Greyhound bus for a few months, it is hilarious to read. I thoroughly enjoyed her observations.

Kate Holden - In my sking. About her heroin addiction and prostitution. I really liked reading it, she has a lovely writing style.

Andrew Humphries - The weight of the Sun. (based in Sydney) such an interesting read, I have recommended this to a few friends to read.

Stephen Lacy - The Tin Moon - very Australian. Brings back memories!

Dorian Mode - A cafe in Venice -what an enjoyable read!

Anyways, they are some other Australian author's that I have purchased and read. I love reading them because it all seems so familiar.

janel Guest
    Thanks to all of you for the interesting titles. On to the library!!!

**Jenna** Guest
    I've been reading Charlotte's Webb to my son. He doesn't care much for it,but I love that book. Haven't really read any good grownup books in awhile.

hoxharding Guest
    I am also reading 'Send Yourself Roses' by Kathleen Turner and Gloria Feldt.

JestersKiss Guest
    Just finished Tony Dungy Bio........Very good chapter on his sons suicide.......Very good read if you like football and want a coaches perception of preparing for a big game with family responsibilities still a factor.

cherryghost Guest
    Thanks for the congrats on the show, sold a painting this week and one for a fundraiser at the National Art school Drawcard show also! Agreed its hard to sell paintings and I do hope to get some work in Melbourne sometime soon! Great art scene there! Damn have to figure posting of work out on here hahah! My artist brain is very right side of course!

Oh just finished "If I did it by OJ Simpson" ucky yahda yahda yahda as he was fond of saying! His description of the murders of Nichole and Ron were just too real! Its winter here so reading is great on these cold nights and mornings!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 05-03-2008 at 05:27 AM.

marimbagirl Guest
    I just finished the Twilight series. I know, they're young adult books, but I fell in love with them. The final book is coming out in August and then the movie based on the first book is coming out at Christmas.

hoxharding Guest
    Two books I just got from the library and I do not know if they are good. They seem intriguing though.

1) 'Elephants on Acid and other Bizarre Experiments' by Alex Boese
    2) 'UFO Religion:Inside Flying Saucer Cults and Culture' by Gregory L. Reece

FannyB1923 Guest
    The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz was pretty good. He does mean, nasty, evil people so well! Plus, dogs figure prominently in this one and I love my dog kids.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz was pretty good. He does mean, nasty, evil people so well! Plus, dogs figure prominently in this one and I love my dog kids.

If you can't tell by now-Dean loves dogs. Have you read his biography? I think Katherine Ramsland wrote it. The key to his love of dogs is in there-I just can't recall what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Aside from the aforementioned Death Hag related books...read anything good lately?

May I suggest:

The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio: How My Mother Raised Ten Kids on 25 Words or Less. By Terry "Tuff" Ryan.

This is the book that was made into the movie with Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson.
    By the way, Terry Ryan died May 19th of brain cancer. RIP Terry.
    No sadly I'm still into the old Death Hags books still waiting for
    the next Kenneth Anger's book. Hope it is here soon.

Has Anyone Read The Republic of Suffering?

Its called The Republic of Suffering. I ordered it today and its suppose to be about how bodies were taken care of during the Civil War I think. I just hope it doesnt turn out to be a bust.
    Thanx
    Opeth

Jazbabee Guest
    Never heard of it......you will have to let us know if it's a good read

I will. I just hope it is worth the money. If you join Quality paperback book club they have a ton of books for death hags ive got alot of mine from them.
    take care
    Opeth
    Last edited by Opeth32; 05-14-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

SEL2323 Guest

Interesting story.

I had a book called True Crime: Infamous murderers throuhout history. and there was a story in it about a woman from England in the late 1800's who had become a maid. She got mad at her mistress one night and then the lady of the house went missing. The maid took up residence in the house and most of the neighbors didnt take very much notice of it. She did the odd thing here and there for money, like selling fat drippings which the neighbors bought up like crazy! They couldn't get enough of it. It was the best they had ever had. Turns out she had boiled her mistress and was selling the drippings off to her neighbors. Needless to say when the truth came out, she didnt last to long herself.
    *I cant remember her name though. I lent the book to an uncle of mine and have not seen it since. Just thought I would share.