Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I actually posted my reply and walked to the bookstore.
    I found this book
    'There but the Grace if God' by Fred Rosen- The book contains interviews from people who survived some of the most famous serial killers.
    I also bought:
    'Green River,Running Red' by Ann Rule (Green River Killer)
    Those were both pretty good, although the Green River book by Tomas Guillen (spell?) was better.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Green River, Running Red was really difficult for me to read. Ann Rule did a very good job of putting faces and lives on the victims and there were just so many.

I just started a book called Darker Than Night by Tom Henderson. It's about a well known missing persons case here in MI. Two deer hunters go missing and it's 18 years before the crime is solved. So far, pretty good.

alessa Guest
    Love books, love books!

Right now, I'm on History of Death and Death in the Pot.
    Favorite book: In this House of Brede

Mrs Watson, I agree Ann Rule is SO good about putting faces and lives on the victims.

I used to read a book a day, until I got my computer over two years ago.

My fave books:

John D. MacDonald
    Stephen King
    Dean Koontz
    Pat Frank
    Ann Rule
    Bentley Little

And a bunch of others.

My fave books:

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
    The Stand, IT by Stephen King
    Watchers by Dean Koontz
    The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule
    The Store by Bentley Little
    The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    I like Stuart O'Nan
    and about 1000 others that don't come right to mind.

I love the true crime genre.

My favorite fiction are old dystopian and/or post holocaust social science fiction.
    1984, On the Beach, Level 7, Brave New World, Farenheit 451, Handmaid's Tale

Anybody love those best too?
    (The sun...mother...I..) I LOVED Level 7! I read the Handmaids Tale, but it was a loong time ago, and I forget the specifics. I do remember I liked it. Have you read Alas Babalyon? Pat Frank wrote it, best I remember.

bluebear71 Guest
    It sucks for me right now, being that I do love to read (mostly history and politics) but all I have time for are my text books, which aren't exactly page turners.

Quote Originally Posted by alessa View Post
    Love books, love books!

Right now, I'm on History of Death and Death in the Pot.
    Favorite book: In this House of Brede

Mrs Watson, I agree Ann Rule is SO good about putting faces and lives on the victims.

The Stranger Beside Me, about Bundy, was her best, IMO.

hoxharding Guest
    I will be looking up some of the titles you guys mentioned too. I just got Atonment in from amazon, anyone read it?[/quote]

I have read it and it amazing. Have you ever read any other Ian Mcewan's novels?
    At least 3 of his novels have been adapted into films. This includes 'Enduring Love', 'The Comfort of Strangers' and 'Cement Garden'
    'Enduring Love' involves a man who tries to save the lives of some people only to have one of the other men who are there fall deeply on love with him on first sight.
    I can't recall all the details,but I believe Ian submitted something to professionl mental health people and fooled them into thinking there was yet another mental health disease.
    'The Comfort of Strangers' is a ver odd,discomforting story about a married couple who goes in Venice. They meet up with a man named Robert who leads them into a very strange world.
    'Cement Garden' is about a family who loses their father. The Cement Garden mainly refers to the fact the father died while covering the garden with cement.
    Their mother dies and the children are faced to survive by themselves and hide the fact that they are orphans.

I'm a big book nerd too.

Favorite Authors:
    Fannie Flagg
    Philip Gulley
    Jean Auel
    Billie Letts
    Jan Karon
    Olivia Goldsmith- her earlier books, not the crap she was putting out right before she died.
    Jeff Guinn
    J.K. Rowling
    Stephen King
    John Saul
    Maeve Binchy

Favorite Books:
    Harry Potter
    The Clan of the Cave Bear series
    Standing in the Rainbow
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    The Entire Wizard of Oz series
    Gone With the Wind
    The Harmony Series
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I used to read a book a day, until I got my computer over two years ago.

My fave books:

John D. MacDonald
    Stephen King
    Dean Koontz
    Pat Frank
    Ann Rule
    Bentley Little

And a bunch of others.

My fave books:

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
    The Stand, IT by Stephen King
    Watchers by Dean Koontz
    The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule
    The Store by Bentley Little
    The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald

Another Bentley Little fan! Yay!=)
    'The Store' is one of his best- I also like 'Dispatch', 'The University' and
    'The Mailman' as my top faves of his.
    I have his books and I have them in alphabetical order.
    Bentley wrote a short story that was used in the 'Masters of Horror' series 'The Washingtonians'(?)

You might try 'R. patrick Gates'-for some reason some of his novels remind me of Bentley Little's.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Anyone read "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold?

I just finished it, and it was amazing...great reading for death hags, as it's narrated by a 14-year-old girl who has been murdered by a serial killer.

Fascinating, sad, and compulsively readable (I read the entire book in one sitting)--but mostly, something different. Not the same old stuff!

I believe the film version is to be directed by Peter Jackson...

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Anyone read "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold? ...I believe the film version is to be directed by Peter Jackson...
    Hey Jack!
    Looks like the film version will be coming to a theater near you in 2009!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/

Kugmu Guest
    I highly recommend Christopher Moore.
    Check out and read these in this order.
    Bloodsucking Fiends â?? Vampires in love
    A Dirty Job â?? About Soul capturers
    You Suck â?? The return of the Vampires â?? this story takes place on top of A Dirty Job
    The are very funny and kind of Vonnegut-ish.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    Hey Jack!
    Looks like the film version will be coming to a theater near you in 2009!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/
    Thanks Kugmu! I hadn't seen the imdb listing...
    I'm a bit disappointed with the casting...but then the mind's eye always "sees" literary characters differently than a casting director.

I'll still go see the film though!

Kugmu Guest
    I'm a bit disappointed with the casting...
    I take it you're not much of a Marky Mark fan.
    Me too.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I take it you're not much of a Marky Mark fan.
    Me too.
    Bingo! Wahlberg's persona does not fit that character at all--I don't think his acting chops are up to it either.
    But we'll see...miracles can happen.

Kugmu Guest
    He was good in Boogie Nights
    Not so good in Planet of the Apes

I highly recommend Christopher Moore.
    Check out and read these in this order.
    Bloodsucking Fiends â?? Vampires in love
    A Dirty Job â?? About Soul capturers
    You Suck â?? The return of the Vampires â?? this story takes place on top of A Dirty Job
    The are very funny and kind of Vonnegut-ish.

The Christmas one was good, so was the one about Jesus, lol.

Another Bentley Little fan here!

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    The Christmas one was good, so was the one about Jesus, lol...
    You are, Nessa, are the first person I have ever met that has ever heard of this guy!

I just finish Green Eggs and Ham. Tension all the way through. Before that it was Little Red Riding Hood. The twist at the end with woodsman really got me.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kugmu Guest
    Hey John!
    What was your opinion of the cinematic version of "Horton Hears a Who"?
    Ya know the movies are never as good as the books they are based upon.

You are, Nessa, are the first person I have ever met that has ever heard of this guy!
    No way! That's crazy! I can't remember how I heard of him, maybe one of the doctors at work told me about him? The neonatologist I work with introduced me to Gregory Maguire, so I'm thinking he must have told me about Christopher Moore too.

Christopher Moore is hysterical!

Kugmu Guest
    I found him by mistake!
    Somebody told me about a Christopher Moore who wrote Asian theme detective books. Went to the bookstore and picked up "Practical Demonkeeping". Loved it and now have and read them all. Eagerly awaiting his next one.
    Not the same CM as I was told! The other is Christopher G. Moore. I have seen his books but have yet to buy one.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    The Christmas one was good, so was the one about Jesus, lol.

Another Bentley Little fan here!
    YAY-Bentley Little fans Unite!

Has anyone else read the short story by Bentley Little 'The Mailman' which he turned intowell 'The Mailman'?
    The Mailman is a little person or as it is said in the story 'a dwarf'
    A man who has a fear of dwarves finds out his mailman is one. Or is he the mailman?
    The story ends with the man wrecking his car and the 'mailman' grabbing a quarter to call the ambulance for him.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Has anyone one read the Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series? Elvis's ghost has a great cameo in it

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I just finish Green Eggs and Ham. Tension all the way through. Before that it was Little Red Riding Hood. The twist at the end with woodsman really got me.
    Yeah I sweated that one out too...I did not like Green Eggs & Ham, I did not like it Sam I Am...

Hey John!
    What was your opinion of the cinematic version of "Horton Hears a Who"?
    Ya know the movies are never as good as the books they are based upon.
    Haven't seen it yet. But, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was good. I felt they capture the tone of the book beautifully.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah I sweated that one out too...I did not like Green Eggs & Ham, I did not like it Sam I Am...
    Brilliant!
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Any body read Christopher Moore?
    I really like him. Very funny stuff. "Bloodsucking Fiends" is a good one for us Death Hags.
    Another Moore fan here!

You know if you email Christopher Moore at the email address on the back of his books, he WILL respond? And no, it's not an auto-responder.

I've read LAMB, and You Suck thusfar...Wasn't aware that You Suck was a sequel to BS Fiends. *sigh* Oh well, I'll read the first one and like it just as much! Waiting to read Dirty Job until my best friend starts reading it...
    Last edited by Boxofpandoraz; 04-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.

**Jenna** Guest
    LOL. I know what you mean! Read that book the other night to my child.

RoRo Guest
    I am LOVING the novels that Dr. Bill Bass (of the Body Farm) is writing with Jon Jefferson...They have done 3 so far....Flesh and Bone...Carved in Bone....and the Devil's Bones...they are really good reading!
    I love anything by James Patterson and I highly recommend Widow of the South by Robert Hicks it's a blend or real and fiction...excellent! I also like Patricia Cornwell

itsintheeyes Guest
    I am a book slut!!!!

Granted I haven't read much lately because of my thesis, but since that's pretty much out of the way I have a huge list of books to read. My reading interests are widespread from classic to modern to true crime to African-American to postcolonialism....

I want to read Capote's In Cold Blood. I'm also steering towards the Body Farm and others I've heard about on this forum.

Kugmu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    Another Moore fan here!
    What should us Christopher Moore fans be called?
    Moore-ites
    Moore-arians

Hopefully not:
    Moore-ons
    or
    Moore-men

A Moore Fan Club?
    Covey of Moores
    School of Moores
    Pride of Moores

Kugmu Guest
    I got my next read today and Iâ??m very excited to have found it!
    A new book by Kurt Vonnegut!!!!

Armageddon in Retrospect

â??Armageddon in Retrospect is a collection of twelve writings by KV on two of his most important subjects: war and peace. Written over the course of a lifetime, yet never before publishedâ?¦.â?

cherryghost Guest
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I adore books and would read all day long if only I could!

36. 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM

I definately qualify for this one my living room wall from top to bottom to one end to the other is books last time I actually counted was over 600 books. Ive held on to everything I had as a kid to now. Some of my favorite subjects and arthors are
    William Sarabande
    Laurel K Hamilton
    Anything by the Gears like People of the mask and such
    I love Dragonlance I have over 70 of those books
    Terry Brooks
    anything tru crime I just bought beyound the body farm
    I got several books you Death Hags would die for on forensics, embalming and well death ; )
    right now im reading the Merry Gentry series by Laurel K Hamilton and Beyond the body farm and people of the Earth im sort of multitasking right now lol.
    Books
    Books Books give me more give me more ; )

I will be looking up some of the titles you guys mentioned too. I just got Atonment in from amazon, anyone read it?
    I have read it and it amazing. Have you ever read any other Ian Mcewan's novels?
    At least 3 of his novels have been adapted into films. This includes 'Enduring Love', 'The Comfort of Strangers' and 'Cement Garden'
    'Enduring Love' involves a man who tries to save the lives of some people only to have one of the other men who are there fall deeply on love with him on first sight.
    I can't recall all the details,but I believe Ian submitted something to professionl mental health people and fooled them into thinking there was yet another mental health disease.
    'The Comfort of Strangers' is a ver odd,discomforting story about a married couple who goes in Venice. They meet up with a man named Robert who leads them into a very strange world.
    'Cement Garden' is about a family who loses their father. The Cement Garden mainly refers to the fact the father died while covering the garden with cement.
    Their mother dies and the children are faced to survive by themselves and hide the fact that they are orphans.[/quote]

Wow, The Cement Garden sounds great; I've just ordered it from Amazon and can't wait to bite into it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

cherryghost Guest
    Slight diversion... The Comfort of Strangers was made into a film in the late 80's early 90's with Christopher Walken, Helen Mirren and Rupert Everett. I havent seen it for ages but really enjoyed it then!
    "On Chevril Beach" is an intersting read in one go and well written. I have all Ian' s books on my bookshelf and as Ive now submitted my thesis I can get to them gradually!

cherryghost Guest
    Sins of the Brothers. The story of Ivan Milat. The backpacker murderer.
    By Mark Whittaker and Les Kennedy.

Les used to by my neighbour yrs ago and is the crime journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald.

He has like the best job Deathhags!!!

Also tonight at 10.30 on Channel 10 I think is the Crime show about the backpacke murders and Milat, its a repeat but still interesting oh the first 48 is also on.

But not if we are all tucked up in bed reading our books perhaps?
    Last edited by cherryghost; 04-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.

I've been wanting to reread 'The Joy Luck Club' by Amy Tan. Maybe I'll have to hit Amazon.com...

I also lovelovelove Frank McCourt. So lyrical!

marimbagirl Guest
    I just realized that a copy of Madame Bovary that I picked up at a thrift shop is entirely in French! Anyone want it?

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Sins of the Brothers. The story of Ivan Milat. The backpacker murderer.
    By Mark Whittaker and Les Kennedy.

Les used to by my neighbour yrs ago and is the crime journalist for the Sydney Morning Herald.

He has like the best job Deathhags!!!

Also tonight at 10.30 on Channel 10 I think is the Crime show about the backpacke murders and Milat, its a repeat but still interesting oh the first 48 is also on.

But not if we are all tucked up in bed reading our books perhaps?
    i read a book about ivan milat when i was about 13 it scared the beejebus out of me but i loved it

i love books i have been banned from going into shops that sell books when shopping with my mum and she wont take me to the library cos i will litrally stand there for hours looking at different books. when i was younger my best friend (who also loves books) and i went through a phase of planning our dream houses and we both agreed tat any dream house we had would have to have a whole floor dedicated to books. i still have those plans we draw in the back of our maths book and one day i will have a house that has a whole floor of just books.

my favourite of favourites as much as i blush while typing is little womeni have numerous copys of the book and movie

my fav authors
    richard laymon (he was definately a death hag)
    jodi picoult
    j.k. rowlings
    stephen king
    minette walters
    to name a few.

my fav books
    island richard laymon(it was my first richard laymon book)
    harry potter
    tenth circle jodi picoult
    layla's story i cant remember the author of the top of my head but it was a true story
    scolds bridle minette walters

i have box upon box of books but alas they r all in storage in another state. some of them i dont like most of them i do but i cant bring myself to get rid of any of them

im currently reading the woods are dark richard laymon i highly recommend richard laymon

Snudgie Guest
    *Puts hand up*

Total book nerd here...I'm afraid it's nothing intellectual just the good old "Chick Lit"... I have about 800 books mostly by Marian Keyes, Jenny Colgan, Sophie Kinsella, Belinda Jones and other girly writers....also love a good juicy Autobiography by a big star (they have the best gossip!)

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I just realized that a copy of Madame Bovary that I picked up at a thrift shop is entirely in French! Anyone want it?
    Get a copy in English my god its a great read! Especially if your thinking of having an affair

MbalmR Guest
    LOL! Jesus, you're funny.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snudgie View Post
    *Puts hand up*

Total book nerd here...I'm afraid it's nothing intellectual just the good old "Chick Lit"... I have about 800 books mostly by Marian Keyes, Jenny Colgan, Sophie Kinsella, Belinda Jones and other girly writers....also love a good juicy Autobiography by a big star (they have the best gossip!)
    Have you read any Susan Elizabeth Phillips books? Those are really enjoyable books.
    Also- I think it is Liz Smith's book- she is a gossip columnist and wrote about her life. There happens to be alot of good gossip in that. It also gives you a lesson on how to read gossip. How to find out who the person might be who told the gossip.
    For instance, if there is a store or restaurant mentioned. There is a good chance that someone who works there is the insider. They promote the business and blab on someone.

ApricotRoses Guest

Book Nerd

I also have hundreds of books. And I never have less than 3 going at one time. Right now I'm reading "In Cold Blood", "My sister Is Missing", and "Life with Father". I lean more toward true crime, but if I'm not reading that, I like:

Stephen King
    Dean Koonz
    Classics, like John Steinbeck, Dickens, and Mark Twain
    David Baldacci
    John Grisham

Fave True Crime Authors:

M William Phelps
    Gregg Olsen
    Ann Rule
    Aphrodite Jones
    John Glatt
    Corey Mitchell
    Kathryn Casey

hoxharding Guest
    I like Aphrodite Jones,Kathryn Ramsland and also Keith Ablow. I didn't even know Keith wrote non-fiction books and was surprised when he got a talk show.
    I just knew him from his fictional thrillers.
    Elizabeth Hand - I LOVE her books: 'Generation Loss' and 'Black Lights' are so part of my library.
    Sephera Giron and Elizabeth Massie both write horror novels and very talented at doing it.
    If you like psychological hard-boiled crime novels from the female point-of-view:
    'Out' and 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino. She has 2 books translated into English and both are excellent reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Snudgie View Post
    *Puts hand up*

Hey, who says it has to be intellectual? I've tried to read many of the 'classic' authors and could not do it. No Dostoyevsky, Dickens, or Victor Hugo for me!

I like Aphrodite Jones,Kathryn Ramsland and also Keith Ablow. I didn't even know Keith wrote non-fiction books and was surprised when he got a talk show.
    I just knew him from his fictional thrillers.
    Elizabeth Hand - I LOVE her books: 'Generation Loss' and 'Black Lights' are so part of my library.
    Sephera Giron and Elizabeth Massie both write horror novels and very talented at doing it.
    If you like psychological hard-boiled crime novels from the female point-of-view:
    'Out' and 'Grotesque' by Natsuo Kirino. She has 2 books translated into English and both are excellent reads.

I can't read fiction crime stuff. I'm like, Oh, bullshit! Are there any that are really really realistic?

Also, was anyone else not impressed by The DaVinci Code? I did not get the hype. I finished it and said, "So?" Plus Dan Brown's incessant use of incessant foreshadowing drove me insane.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    but the books that we read today may well be considered classics themselves one day