Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

NOVSTORM Guest
    The Onion Field by Joseph Waumbaugh, That story breaks my heart.

spoiledkitty Guest
    "needlework" about that chick up in flint michigan that's the most recent one I bought I have found that Wally world (WAL-MART) has a nice array for under the $5. range.

Noelle Page Guest
    "Helter Skelter"--the book that made lil me a hag, I suspect.

"The Two Mrs. Grenvilles"--dominick dunne's fictionalized account of the Woodward high-society shooting

"Nutcracker"--woman convinces son to murder her rich dad for the $$$

"Small Sacrifices"--Diane Downs shoots her kids so she can be with some man

"Until the Twelfth of Never"--Betty Broderick!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Reading a book about Bobby Fischer the chess champion.
    (not a very nice guy)
    I heard a tape of one of his anti-Semitic rants the other day....holy shit!

Death Hag Book Recommendations

I *know* y'all read...

Anyone wanna post their book recommendations? I am always looking for more stuff to read at the library but often have a tough time judging a book by its cover, so to speak. I'll go first:

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald~ A city girl gets married young to a dude that wants to be a chicken rancher in the westerly most tip of Washington State. This describes her trials and tribulations running a ranch, having a kid and dealing with her wacky neighbors, Ma and Pa Kettle. It's not a "I accomplished all of this" type of book; that's the funny part. She tells you why it sucks and that she never wants to do it again but really cleverly. This is my "comfort" book. When I feel out of sorts or sad, I read this.

Women by Charles Bukowski~ All I can say about this book is if you like reading about sex, booze and women, this is your thing. I loved it. This goes for all of Bukowski's work for me, though. With the exception of Ham on Rye because I didn't like all of the family violence. Gave me the jibblies.

The Foxfire Books Edited by Rabun County Georgia teachers and their students~ These books are a must have for anyone interested in the old way of life in the Old South. Tons of pictures and instructions describing ways to cook, clean, hunt, blacksmith, build almost anything, and general ways of living.

I am currently reading The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. Pretty engaging. I'm also reading Fast Food Nation but I haven't really bitten into it yet but I know a lot of people have said it was good.

Anyone else???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"the a-z encyclopedia of serial killers" is one of my faves, i try to read it every year. loads of good stories and info, if you're into serial killers.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

AlaskaDeathHag Guest
    Last Days of Dead Celebrities by Mitchell Fink.

I thought that it wouldn't be too good... I was quite suprised... I've read it twice.

I got funny looks in the breakroom when I had that cracked open along with my quesadillas!

hehe

I love "The Egg And I" Hardly anybody I know has read that! I also recommend "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. A good one that I am in the middle of is "Warrior Queens" by Antoina Frasier. That is non-fiction and a really good read, if you can stand a good dose of history in your books.

Andrea Guest
    I've read The Heroin Diaries and it was interesting. I have an autographed copy. I also enjoy the Sixx A.M. cd.

Recent reads have been Just A Man and The Final Days of Michael Hutchence.

I just finished Becoming Eichmann and am currently reading The Princes In The Tower, the book about the sons of Edward IV who were incarcerated in the Tower Of London and died (or were killed) there.

I like biographies / autobiographies. Recommendations are always welcome!

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    being the death hag that i am i have an afinity for richard laymon books which are kinda like stephan king and are really descriptive i love them.

as for biographies and autobiograpies dave and richard pelzers book are amazing they are about theyre childhood abuse they really make you wonder what goes on in some peoples minds and how a mother could do they things she did to them. i also enjoyed a million little pieces before i found out the it was fiction.

12. 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    I *know* y'all read...

Anyone wanna post their book recommendations? I am always looking for more stuff to read at the library but often have a tough time judging a book by its cover, so to speak. I'll go first:

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald~ A city girl gets married young to a dude that wants to be a chicken rancher in the westerly most tip of Washington State. This describes her trials and tribulations running a ranch, having a kid and dealing with her wacky neighbors, Ma and Pa Kettle. It's not a "I accomplished all of this" type of book; that's the funny part. She tells you why it sucks and that she never wants to do it again but really cleverly. This is my "comfort" book. When I feel out of sorts or sad, I read this.

Women by Charles Bukowski~ All I can say about this book is if you like reading about sex, booze and women, this is your thing. I loved it. This goes for all of Bukowski's work for me, though. With the exception of Ham on Rye because I didn't like all of the family violence. Gave me the jibblies.

The Foxfire Books Edited by Rabun County Georgia teachers and their students~ These books are a must have for anyone interested in the old way of life in the Old South. Tons of pictures and instructions describing ways to cook, clean, hunt, blacksmith, build almost anything, and general ways of living.

I am currently reading The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. Pretty engaging. I'm also reading Fast Food Nation but I haven't really bitten into it yet but I know a lot of people have said it was good.

Anyone else???
    books that stick out in my mind:

papa john~~john phillips

tarnished angel~~jennifer lee (her life w/ richard pryor, shocking)

will there ever be a morning~~frances farmer

dreamgirl~~mary wilson

a father's story~~lionel dahmer

strange days: my life with and without jim morrison~~patricia kennealy (beware: looney groupie)

the life and death of sharon tate~~?

any gacy or bundy book

and online @ www.aboundinglove.org will you die for me?~~ charles watson
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

Gorey Guest
    Helter Skelter I read in 3 days and stayed up all night with a kitchen knife and a flashlight. Ive read 99% of the others in fact I have true crime and celebrity death books stacked everywhere. I just finished the Portable Obituary in one day it was fascinating. Of course I read Scott's site regularly .

Andrea Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorey View Post
    Helter Skelter I read in 3 days and stayed up all night with a kitchen knife and a flashlight. Ive read 99% of the others in fact I have true crime and celebrity death books stacked everywhere. I just finished the Portable Obituary in one day it was fascinating. Of course I read Scott's site regularly .
    Helter Skelter will do that to you! I read it as a child while babysitting in a rich, secluded neighborhood in the summertime --- talk about surreal! I'm getting ready to read Ann Rule's Small Sacrifices for the third time.

Andrea

Found this this one in a bookstore yesterday:

Nashville Babylon by Randall Riese. Lots of great stuff all about the country stars. Also has some great death scene photos - including Jim Reeves crash site, Patsy Cline's crash site, and also photos of Stringbean and his wife laying dead after being shot.

Pretty much in the same vein as the Hollywood Babylon books. Lots of great gossip and trash - highly recommended for the country fan!

I just saw them on Amazon for sale for less than two bucks!

And I also wanted to add three highly recommended books that I just remembered about in my vast death hag collection by this certain author - Coral Amende. Get all three of her books: "Country Music Confidential", "Rock Music Confidential" and "Hollywood Confidential". If you enjoy ready trashy and hilarious gossip stuff about celebs - you'll love these books. I sort of think Coral is actually a Gay man - using a woman's name as an alias.
    Last edited by Aries65; 02-17-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Years ago I befriended this guy who writes 'fanzines' about death. I have his entire collection of "MURDER CAN BE FUN". He wrote them and they are all done on a photocopy machine, two sided, and most informative. There are 10 or 12, each has a subject, such as "Death at Disneyland", "I Hate Sports", "Kids Who Kill".... I'd have to go upstairs and look to get a full list. We wrote back and forth for a while. He sent me something not too long ago. He hates to waste postage, so he always encloses some sort of filler, such as a religious tract. He always has the facts straight and has a great sense of humor. I will save those forever, even though they aren't books per se, some of them are out of print. I'm glad he likes me.
    Last edited by Hidium; 02-17-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: once again, for spelling

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Just finished The Wishbones, by Tom Perrota, same guy who wrote Election and Little Children. Not a death hag book, but very very funny.

Reading This Crazy Thing Called Love, by Susan Braudy. Remember The Two Mrs. Grenvilles book, by Dominck Dunne? TV movie, too. This is a book about the actual murder case. Ann and Billy Woodward. She shoots him, claiming she thinks he's a prowler.

This book is packed with society DISH. OMG. Billy Woodward's great uncle founded Hanover National Bank and Billy owned Nashua, a very famous racehorse. Ann was a poor girl from a farm in Kansas. Truman Capote hangs out with them. Just an incredible cross section of WASPy types.

I can barely put the thing down.

I also recently read that POS Donna Thomas wrote about Scott Peterson but I discussed that elsewhere and really, there's nothing to say. It's utter crap.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post

Reading This Crazy Thing Called Love, by Susan Braudy. Remember The Two Mrs. Grenvilles book, by Dominck Dunne? TV movie, too. This is a book about the actual murder case. Ann and Billy Woodward. She shoots him, claiming she thinks he's a prowler.

This book is packed with society DISH. OMG. Billy Woodward's great uncle founded Hanover National Bank and Billy owned Nashua, a very famous racehorse. Ann was a poor girl from a farm in Kansas. Truman Capote hangs out with them. Just an incredible cross section of WASPy types.

I can barely put the thing down.
    Not bad, but I much prefer "Grenvilles."

I'm re-reading "Until the Twelfth of Never"--Betty Broderick. Can't get enough of ol' Bets.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Did Betty get LWOP? I can't remember.

Her husband was a real prick but she was a loon.

Now I'm going to have to reread Twelth, Noelle. Good book.

Noelle Page Guest
    No, I think she has to serve someting like 21 years before chance of parole.

Prick, loon--that about sums it up. But it's a pretty substantial book, well worth the re-read.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Found this this one in a bookstore yesterday:

Nashville Babylon by Randall Riese. Lots of great stuff all about the country stars. Also has some great death scene photos - including Jim Reeves crash site, Patsy Cline's crash site, and also photos of Stringbean and his wife laying dead after being shot.

Pretty much in the same vein as the Hollywood Babylon books. Lots of great gossip and trash - highly recommended for the country fan!

I just saw them on Amazon for sale for less than two bucks!

And I also wanted to add three highly recommended books that I just remembered about in my vast death hag collection by this certain author - Coral Amende. Get all three of her books: "Country Music Confidential", "Rock Music Confidential" and "Hollywood Confidential". If you enjoy ready trashy and hilarious gossip stuff about celebs - you'll love these books. I sort of think Coral is actually a Gay man - using a woman's name as an alias.

Aries thanks so much for recommending Nashville Babylon by Randall Riese, I really enjoyed it.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Just finished:
    The Crow: The Story Behind the Film by Bridget Baiss

Currently reading:
    James Dean in Death by Warren Beath and Paula Wheeldon

Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Aries thanks so much for recommending Nashville Babylon by Randall Riese, I really enjoyed it.
    Glad you enjoyed it! Lots of great gossip in that one - stuff I never knew about myself!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	4481
    nice crotch pic in upper right
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

You think that is nice?

WTF is wrong with you?

YAY the Chuckster is back!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

RaRaRamona Guest

LOL them's some butt kickin jeans. I bet Jean Claude has a version in pleather.

Danny62 Guest
    They banned Chuck, I hope they are prepared to get some ass kicking now. lol

Chucks benn grounded.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

pattykad Guest

Any True Crime readers amongst the hags?

Seems it might go hand in hand, but I'm a true crime afficianado.
    Anyone else? Favorite books?

Here's some of my all time favorites:
    The End of the Dream - Ann Rule
    Absolutely great characterizations....cannot put it down
    Small Sacrafices-Ann Rule
    Made into the movie with Farrah Fawcett, but the book is always better
    In Broad Daylight
    Terrifying story about a town bully, also made into a movie with
    Brian Dennehy
    Turning the Tide-
    Should be a movie! A scientist moves to the Bahamas to research
    sharks and realizes he's living next to a drug cartel
    The Last Run
    A woman moves to Columbia with her boyfriend and begins life
    as a mule for the Ochoa cartel. Great ending!

pattykad Guest
    I forgot about Betty Broderick....that was a GREAT book too. She was an interesting
    character.

I've not read the OJ book...I've got to get that since I've read nearly ever other
    book on that case. Greatest true crime story ever IMO. And I keep thinking
    there is going to be another chapter in his story, don't you?

I will never forget I was flying home from Mexico and they handed out english
    newspapers (I was on Mexicana). I saw a tiny story about OJ's wife being
    murdered and that a glove matching the crime scene glove was found at OJ's
    house. I asked the man next to me if he spoke english. He nodded and
    I showed him the article. We both sat there looking at each other in disbelief.

Anything by Ann Rule. Read Helter Skelter three times :P, and The Family twice. I've read all the Black Dahlia books and am currently reading Severed, which is supposed to be the Dahlia book. I've read most if not all of the books listed on this thread.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Book Nerds Unite!

I am a grade-A, 100% USDA prime book nerd. My house is filled with them. It's what I do when I'm not on this damn forum. Anyone else a compulsive book nerd? Who's your favorite author? Favorite book? I'm reading Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song right now, slow going.

Auntie Vi Guest
    Stephen King fave author

Fave books
    Gone with the Wind
    The Shining
    The Witching Hour
    A Cold Wild Wind
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Rereading To Kill a Mockingbird

I have a tendency to stop in the middle of a book and start reading another, then do the same to that book and so on till I have about 4 books going. Right now Im reading River of Gods by Ian MacDonald, Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George, and The Divine Invasion by Philip K Dick. I havent read muck these past few months though because of FAD.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I have hundreds of books, I love them.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post
    Stephen King fave author

Fave books
    Gone with the Wind
    The Shining
    The Witching Hour
    A Cold Wild Wind
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Rereading To Kill a Mockingbird

I've never read The Witching Hour, my boyfriend says the Mayfair books are far superior to the Vampire Chronicles.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorites. I've read it at least half a dozen times, along with The Color Purple. The language is so wonderful you can just snuggle up in the story.

I read a lot of nonfiction, so Jack Olsen is my favorite author at the moment. Everything I've ever read by him has been wonderful.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Nessa, after you read The Executioner's Song, read Shot In The Heart, by Mikal Gilmore, Gary's brother. Different perspective, very good reading.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    A Confederacy of Dunces...by the very dead John Kennedy Toole....a really great book that should get more attention

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Oh, total book nerd here,too.

I enjoy Jack Olsen a lot, too. Some good fiction is Harlen Cobin. I rarely read fiction anymore but I've liked his lately.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I'm a dork...but books (and cooter) rule!

Reading Warrior Queens by Antonia Frasier. Goes from Boudica to Maggie Thatcher and beyond.

I have a tendency to stop in the middle of a book and start reading another, then do the same to that book and so on till I have about 4 books going. Right now Im reading River of Gods by Ian MacDonald, Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George, and The Divine Invasion by Philip K Dick. I havent read muck these past few months though because of FAD.
    I do the exact same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Belle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    I do the exact same thing.

NO! NO!

I can't DO that. One at a TIME! I have some really hot used ones here that just came in the mail. However, I'm not through with DNA/trace evidence collection on them yet. After, that, I shall snuggle up with them ONE at a TIME. You know how it is, trick someone into getting their DNA, you have to make the most of it.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Oh, total book nerd here,too.

I enjoy Jack Olsen a lot, too. Some good fiction is Harlen Cobin. I rarely read fiction anymore but I've liked his lately.

I have many favorite authors and some are:
    Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Elizabeth Hand
    Bentley Little
    Natsuo Kirino
    Ryu Murakami
    Angela Carter
    Thomas Hardy
    Edith Wharton
    Emile Zola

Belle Guest
    I like Stuart O'Nan
    and about 1000 others that don't come right to mind.

I love the true crime genre.

My favorite fiction are old dystopian and/or post holocaust social science fiction.
    1984, On the Beach, Level 7, Brave New World, Farenheit 451, Handmaid's Tale

Anybody love those best too?

hoxharding Guest
    I actually posted my reply and walked to the bookstore.
    I found this book
    'There but the Grace if God' by Fred Rosen- The book contains interviews from people who survived some of the most famous serial killers.
    I also bought:
    'Green River,Running Red' by Ann Rule (Green River Killer)

Deathgoddess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I've never read The Witching Hour, my boyfriend says the Mayfair books are far superior to the Vampire Chronicles.
    I love it in a different way than i love the vampire books, they are both great series though.

I am a ridiculous book nerd! I usually have a few non fiction books I am reading (true crime, spiritual, tarot ) and then a fiction book as well. My faves are :

Beach Music by Pat Conroy
    Border Music By James Robert Waller
    Peach tree road by Anne River Siddons
    Pandora By Anne Rice
    Godfather By Mario Puzo

I will be looking up some of the titles you guys mentioned too. I just got Atonment in from amazon, anyone read it?

Kugmu Guest
    Any body read Christopher Moore?
    I really like him. Very funny stuff. "Bloodsucking Fiends" is a good one for us Death Hags.

I'm a big fan of Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series.
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w