Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Find A Death Fan Guest

Cool Currently Reading.......

When SaTan Wore A Cross-The Shocking True Story of a Killer Priest.

lovemymonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    oh wow! actually I'm in Lakewood too but I like to post Tacoma cus it's more recognizable to some...let's do lunch! lol
    Bremerton here! We're almost neighbors! LOL

Mark Guest
    My favorite true crime book is Wiseguy. It is about Henry Hill, and his times in the mafia.

Patricia Cornwell's "Jack The Ripper: Case Closed" was very interesting. I, too, think she solved it.

"In Cold Blood" is excellent, as well. "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" is a good death hag book. I just wouldn't suggest eating while reading (I made that mistake. I was having chicken noodle soup as she was describing the bodies, at the Body Farm, as looking like that :yuck!)

Some of these sound great. Does "Helter Skelter" has death photos in it?

I have never even heard of Ann Rule

Sphr798 Guest

What are you reading?

I apologize if there is a thread out there already but I didn't see one

What book are you currently reading -OR- what book(s) would you recommend reading?

I have just finished:

Starvation Heights - Gregg Olsen (recommend if you like weird history)
    You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again - Robin & Co. (Ehhhh....not that great)
    Hold Tight - Harlan Coben (recommend (disclaimer) I LOVE his books)
    Chill Factor - Sandra Brown

Guest Guest
    I've just finished Midnight in the garden of good and evil.....again...love love love that book.

Just about to start on Atonement. I've been putting it off. My friend who loaned it to me insists its amazing (she read it years ago) but I'm finding it hard to start

sunshine74137 Guest
    I think Hox did one on any good books lately or something like that,

Starvation Heights-Gregg Olson
    Monster of Florence-Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi
    And Patricia Cornwell's The Front

Sphr798 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post

I read a lot of Patricia Cornwell. Love her books as well!

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphr798 View Post
    I read a lot of Patricia Cornwell. Love her books as well!
    She's very up and down!! I hated blowfly And I wasn't too impressed with her Jack the Ripper one. Did you know about her big drama, being held hostage in a church because of a love triangle? I've forgotten the details but she's had some real life drama

Sphr798 Guest
    She's very up and down!! I hated blowfly And I wasn't too impressed with her Jack the Ripper one. Did you know about her big drama, being held hostage in a church because of a love triangle? I've forgotten the details but she's had some real life drama
    I think I remember hearing something about it but at the time I wasn't really sure if it was true. She can be up and down but overall I find her stuff to be good. I do remember she was on a talk show going on about how she was going to uncover the "real" Jack the Ripper. Guess that's not going to well. LOL.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Patricia Cornwell’s real-life love triangle

The American crime writer Patricia Cornwell, best known for her Dr Kay Scarpetta novels, finds herself one of the protagonists in a real-life thriller due to be published in the US. Twisted Triangle tells the story of the lesbian affair that developed in the 1990s between an FBI agent, Margo Bennett, and Cornwell. It resulted in Bennett's husband Gene plotting to kill his wife in revenge, for which he is still serving a 23-year jail sentence.
    Margo Bennett says that she met Cornwell at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, near Washington DC, when the thriller writer visited to research a new Scarpetta novel. "As they sat in chairs next to each other, Patsy [Cornwell] kept swiveling around and touching Margo's leg with the toe of her shoe," Twisted Triangle relates. "As they talked, Margo felt the blood coursing through her veins, very aware of the close proximity of her body to Patsy's."
    At further meetings the temperature rose and the two women became lovers. In 1996, Margo's husband Gene, an undercover agent for the FBI, lured his wife to a church and tried to shoot her. After his arrest, he accused Patricia Cornwell of trying to steal his wife.
    It was not the last time Cornwell went on a research trip and found the source of her intelligence irresistible. She admitted in an interview last year that she had been 'married' in a civil ceremony in February 2005 to Dr Staci Gruber, assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Cornwell met Gruber when she visited Harvard to research neuroscience for a new novel.
    Cornwell lives in Boston. Margo Bennett, who agreed to tell her story to the writers Caitlin Rother and John Hess for Twisted Triangle, lives on the other side of the continent in San Francisco, where she is now an officer in the University of California police department.

Looks like she's a floozy, Oh well i just want to read her not date her

I'm reading "Someone Cry For the Children" about the 1977 Girl Scout murders mentioned in another thread. It's very good. I haven't read any of Cornwell, although I've heard good things about her. I tried to read one by Ann Rule and just found it dull, although judging by the number of books she has on the shelves, my opinion is the minority.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

derbingle Guest
    Check out Mark Steyn's Passing Parade. It's a great collection of Obits that he has written. BTW: doesn't matter if you agree with his politics or not. This book is just a great read.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Castellano View Post
    I'm reading "Someone Cry For the Children" about the 1977 Girl Scout murders mentioned in another thread. It's very good. I haven't read any of Cornwell, although I've heard good things about her. I tried to read one by Ann Rule and just found it dull, although judging by the number of books she has on the shelves, my opinion is the minority.
    Ann Rule can drone on and on.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I just finished Eclipse and as I always do with these stupid Stephanie Meyer books, I had to fight myself not to put it down & never look back. Why do I do this to myself? Once I start a book or a series I feel like I must finish it. It's my OCD. I even signed up at the library for the new one!!

I have fallen out of love with many writers. Cornwell is one, Janet Evanovich, Iris Johansen (just shut UP about Bonnie already!!) and a few others. I love certain authors fiercely but they inevitably add too much sex (hello, where'd the plot go Evanovich?) or harp on one subject for like a decade too long (I'm talking to you Johansen.)

I love the Tamar Myers series, she's very funny. Abigail Timberlake is a wonderful heroine.

Anyway, I am now reading a murder mystery series by Rita Lakin about an old folks retirement community. I didn't think I'd like it but it's cute.

Lita Guest
    Phantom Prey by John Sandford.

hoxharding Guest

How is the 'Monster of Florence'? It looked really interesting.
    Reading:
    'Platforms' by John R Maxim
    'Life is Hot in Cracktown' by Buddy Giovinazzo

Last three I've read;

The Automatic Detective, by A. Lee Martinez
    A Nameless Witch, also by A. Lee Martinez
    Fearless Fourteen, by Janet Evanovich

On deck is Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson. It's about the legendary Body Farm that's near the University of Tennessee. I'm also picking away at The Andy Warhol Diaries, fascinating stuff in there.
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

bblvnvelphy Guest
    I am re-reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and patiently awaiting for the 4th book to be released. =)

bblvnvelphy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I just finished Eclipse and as I always do with these stupid Stephanie Meyer books, I had to fight myself not to put it down & never look back. Why do I do this to myself? Once I start a book or a series I feel like I must finish it. It's my OCD. I even signed up at the library for the new one!!
    Look back its is only 18 days 6 hours 58 minutes and 5 seconds until Breaking Dawn is released =)

Bruce Lee: the Biography by Robert Clouse. It really smashed some of those cheating and drugging rumors floating out there and gives a rational explanation of Bruce's death.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Patricia Cornwellâ??s real-life love triangle

The American crime writer Patricia Cornwell, best known for her Dr Kay Scarpetta novels, finds herself one of the protagonists in a real-life thriller due to be published in the US. Twisted Triangle tells the story of the lesbian affair that developed in the 1990s between an FBI agent, Margo Bennett, and Cornwell. It resulted in Bennett's husband Gene plotting to kill his wife in revenge, for which he is still serving a 23-year jail sentence.
    Margo Bennett says that she met Cornwell at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, near Washington DC, when the thriller writer visited to research a new Scarpetta novel. "As they sat in chairs next to each other, Patsy [Cornwell] kept swiveling around and touching Margo's leg with the toe of her shoe," Twisted Triangle relates. "As they talked, Margo felt the blood coursing through her veins, very aware of the close proximity of her body to Patsy's."
    At further meetings the temperature rose and the two women became lovers. In 1996, Margo's husband Gene, an undercover agent for the FBI, lured his wife to a church and tried to shoot her. After his arrest, he accused Patricia Cornwell of trying to steal his wife.
    It was not the last time Cornwell went on a research trip and found the source of her intelligence irresistible. She admitted in an interview last year that she had been 'married' in a civil ceremony in February 2005 to Dr Staci Gruber, assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Cornwell met Gruber when she visited Harvard to research neuroscience for a new novel.
    Cornwell lives in Boston. Margo Bennett, who agreed to tell her story to the writers Caitlin Rother and John Hess for Twisted Triangle, lives on the other side of the continent in San Francisco, where she is now an officer in the University of California police department.

I read that she tried to woo Jodie Foster but JF was not interested.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

hoxharding Guest
    I also read 'The A-List' by 'Zoey Dean(aka husband and wife writing team) . They also wrote 'How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls' They are adapted that for tv and it will be called 'Privileged'
    I sometimes read: 'Gossip Girl' and the spin-off 'The It Girl'
    Plus, The series of books 'The Uglies','The Pretties','The Specials' and 'The Extras'
    are really good. 'The Uglies' is being made into a film.
    'The Uglies' is about the future where when you reach 16, you get surgery to become on of 'The Pretties'
    When you become one of them, you always party and are never sad or even that
    happy. You just are pretty.

bblvnvelphy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I also read 'The A-List' by 'Zoey Dean(aka husband and wife writing team) . They also wrote 'How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls' They are adapted that for tv and it will be called 'Privileged'
    I sometimes read: 'Gossip Girl' and the spin-off 'The It Girl'
    Plus, The series of books 'The Uglies','The Pretties','The Specials' and 'The Extras'
    are really good. 'The Uglies' is being made into a film.
    'The Uglies' is about the future where when you reach 16, you get surgery to become on of 'The Pretties'
    When you become one of them, you always party and are never sad or even that
    happy. You just are pretty.
    yay gossip girl =)

and who is the author of The Uglies? it seems interesting

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly View Post
    I've just finished Midnight in the garden of good and evil.....again...love love love that book.

Just about to start on Atonement. I've been putting it off. My friend who loaned it to me insists its amazing (she read it years ago) but I'm finding it hard to start
    I started Atonement and am having trouble getting in to it.

sunshine74137 Guest
    How is the 'Monster of Florence'? It looked really interesting.
    Reading:
    'Platforms' by John R Maxim
    'Life is Hot in Cracktown' by Buddy Giovinazzo
    Monster of Florence is a little tedious. I mean it's good but you can get thrown 5 names on one page many which are spelled very close, so you have to really pay close attention also the police and courts are so different. It's not a lay by the pool no brainer. I would suggest it, I think you would like it Hox. If you read it let me know what you think.

I liked "The Homing" by John Saul. I thought the book was very good. A little strange but very good.

Xtine Guest
    I am reading the autobiography of Slash (from Guns n Roses)
    and also Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bblvnvelphy View Post
    Look back its is only 18 days 6 hours 58 minutes and 5 seconds until Breaking Dawn is released =)
    The constant weeping b/c they love each other so much & the continual "I am not good enough for you! NO! I am not good enough for you!" aaaahhhh I want to pull my hair out. How can you stand it?

I want her to be Jacob & I hope that's what happens. Edward makes me want to stab myself. And what is with the screen Edward? He's supposed to be gorgeous. I'm sorry, but I thought that guy was horribly miscast as "Cedric." Cedric supposed to be hot too.

This search engine works pretty well.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9349
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

bblvnvelphy Guest
    The constant weeping b/c they love each other so much & the continual "I am not good enough for you! NO! I am not good enough for you!" aaaahhhh I want to pull my hair out. How can you stand it?

I want her to be Jacob & I hope that's what happens. Edward makes me want to stab myself. And what is with the screen Edward? He's supposed to be gorgeous. I'm sorry, but I thought that guy was horribly miscast as "Cedric." Cedric supposed to be hot too.
    i agree with you on the casting...but i HATE jacob with a passion
    lol

ahh i wonder how many other [people on this board have read twilight..qwe should start a social group to discuss the books and debate lol

hoxharding Guest

I know this series is VERY popular-but I had to quit reading the Anita Blake series because of all the 'Ma Cherie's'

hoxharding Guest
    yay gossip girl =)

and who is the author of The Uglies? it seems interesting
    Scott Westerfeld writes them.
    www.scottwesterfeld.com

Ian mcewan is a very talented writer and a favorite of mine. Yet, I find some of his novels not easy to get into. Try maybe even 10 pages a day-it does pick up speed. If you want-my rule is if you still don't like a book after 50 pages-don't bother reading it,it isn't worth wasting your time.

I couldn't get into 'Saturday' because his details about brain surgery just bored me-it was to detailed and he seemed caught up with that and not the story.
    Monster of Florence is a little tedious. I mean it's good but you can get thrown 5 names on one page many which are spelled very close, so you have to really pay close attention also the police and courts are so different. It's not a lay by the pool no brainer. I would suggest it, I think you would like it Hox. If you read it let me know what you think.

Thanks- I will give it a try!
    Last edited by hoxharding; 07-14-2008 at 07:26 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    i agree with you on the casting...but i HATE jacob with a passion
    lol

ahh i wonder how many other [people on this board have read twilight..qwe should start a social group to discuss the books and debate lol
    yes! that's a good idea!

I know this series is VERY popular-but I had to quit reading the Anita Blake series because of all the 'Ma Cherie's'
    lol I feel you.

bblvnvelphy Guest
    Scott Westerfeld writes them.
    www.scottwesterfeld.com

thanks<3 =)

bblvnvelphy Guest
    yes! that's a good idea!

woo im going to make it lol

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I apologize if there is a thread out there already but I didn't see one

What book are you currently reading -OR- what book(s) would you recommend reading?

I have just finished:

Starvation Heights - Gregg Olsen (recommend if you like weird history)
    You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again - Robin & Co. (Ehhhh....not that great)
    Hold Tight - Harlan Coben (recommend (disclaimer) I LOVE his books)
    Chill Factor - Sandra Brown

I haven't had as much time as I would like to read these days but I am in the middle or "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. I have read all of his novels, except for "Duma Key" which I own and am going to read right after I finish "Lisey's Story". I usually read 2 or 3 at one time but I just haven't had the time or focus lately. If you like King, "Lisey's Story" is good, although it is a little far-fetched, like most of his novels.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly View Post

"Midnight..." is a great book. I live on Hilton Head Island, about 40 minutes from Savannah, GA and it is really cool to be able to go there and see some of the stuff in the book. Savannah is a beautiful old city which actually has the charm that is described in the novel. Charleston, SC has a lot of the same qualities. If you ever get the chance to go to either city, please do so, you will not be disappointed.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    "Midnight..." is a great book. I live on Hilton Head Island, about 40 minutes from Savannah, GA and it is really cool to be able to go there and see some of the stuff in the book. Savannah is a beautiful old city which actually has the charm that is described in the novel. Charleston, SC has a lot of the same qualities. If you ever get the chance to go to either city, please do so, you will not be disappointed.
    You mean they won't shoot us if we're from off?

I just reread The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman, and started Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

RaRaRamona Guest
    woo im going to make it lol
    Oh yay! I'm waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva View Post
    Last three I've read;

The Automatic Detective, by A. Lee Martinez
    A Nameless Witch, also by A. Lee Martinez
    Fearless Fourteen, by Janet Evanovich

On deck is Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson. It's about the legendary Body Farm that's near the University of Tennessee. I'm also picking away at The Andy Warhol Diaries, fascinating stuff in there.
    How was Fearless Fourteen? My Evanovich interest has been waning, and I haven't gotten that one yet.

I have fallen out of love with many writers. Cornwell is one, Janet Evanovich, Iris Johansen (just shut UP about Bonnie already!!) and a few others. I love certain authors fiercely but they inevitably add too much sex (hello, where'd the plot go Evanovich?) or harp on one subject for like a decade too long (I'm talking to you Johansen.)
    I've had that same thing happen with Evanovich and Cornwell. I used to *love* the Stephanie Plum books, got them as soon as they were released, but with 12 & 13, I waited and got them cheap, and haven't even looked for 14 yet.

Curtis Radiohead Guest

Patricia Cornwellâ??s real-life love triangle

The American crime writer Patricia Cornwell,

lovemymonkey Guest
    I'm very superficial, and am not reading anything intelectual or anything. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows LOL

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    You mean they won't shoot us if we're from off?
    Off where?

bblvnvelphy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemymonkey View Post
    I'm very superficial, and am not reading anything intelectual or anything. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows LOL
    it disappointed me =( i never finished it

Sphr798 Guest

LOL. Really. It is surprising though because when reading her books you know she has her shit together as far as her career. Sounds like her personal life is a mess!

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    This search engine works pretty well.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9349
    Thanks. I searched under "book" and "read", "reading" and it did not come up. That has also happened to me before.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    I haven't had as much time as I would like to read these days but I am in the middle or "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King. I have read all of his novels, except for "Duma Key" which I own and am going to read right after I finish "Lisey's Story". I usually read 2 or 3 at one time but I just haven't had the time or focus lately. If you like King, "Lisey's Story" is good, although it is a little far-fetched, like most of his novels.
    Love me some Stephen King. I just want them to stay books and stop making movies out of them.

Thanks. I searched under "book" and "read", "reading" and it did not come up. That has also happened to me before.
    Thats cool. There has been a gazillion merged book threads here previously.

A tip I learned from Itchy is to search for book+read or book+reading. Really narrows down the search.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Love me some Stephen King. I just want them to stay books and stop making movies out of them.
    I agree. "The Mist" was terrible.