Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 20272829
Results 1,401 to 1,441 of 1441

Thread: Death Hag Books

I have been reading this book on the Attica prison riot from 1971. The first half is great. The last part gets bogged down in the various lawsuits. But overall an excellent read.

https://www.amazon.ca/Blood-Water-At...s%2C352&sr=8-1

Reading Chase The Darkness With Me, by Billy Jensen, he was a reporter who turned detective consultant and helped finish the book I'll Be Gone In The Dark and has a podcast with Paul Holes, who worked the Golden State Killer Case. Just finished Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered By Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgareth, of the Podcast My Favorite Murder.

I just finished the Victorian book of the dead. Some of their customs were absolutely hilarious! The lengths that women went to trying to “outmourn” each other were astonishing!

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    I just finished the Victorian book of the dead. Some of their customs were absolutely hilarious! The lengths that women went to trying to “outmourn” each other were astonishing!
    That sounds like something I'd love to read.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

LuLu I'll have to check that one out.

Just finished reading Poisoner In Chief:Sidney Gottlieb And The CIA Search For Mind Control. Fascinating, disturbing and as scary as any crime book I've read. https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...=pocket-newtab
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I picked this book up today:

The Trial of Lizzie Borden

https://www.amazon.com/Trial-Lizzie-...s%2C172&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I picked this book up today:

The Trial of Lizzie Borden

https://www.amazon.com/Trial-Lizzie-...s%2C172&sr=1-1
    I have a copy of the original trial transcripts. Let me know how the book is it looks good

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. Caitlin Doughty. A girl who’s only dream was to work in a crematorium. A true autobiography, Please somebody pick this up and read it I have to talk about it with someone! Nobody that I know personally would appreciate it! Fun fact! You start your day with skinny people to cremate. They don’t take long. And you finish your day with the fat people they take forever and you need the heat buildup in the crematorium. Skinny people smell like fireworks. The enormous people smell like bacon. Oh yeah… After cremation your bones are put in a blender, however babies bones are so small they don’t grind. Those have to be pulverized by and mortar and pedestal
    Last edited by lulubaines; 09-22-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I have a copy of the original trial transcripts. Let me know how the book is it looks good
    sure will

Lulu, did you know she has a youtube channel? I watch and remember her talking about what time of day they cremate larger people.

Just read the book below about the Jesus of Nazareth. This is about the historical Jesus not Jesus Christ the savior. There was controversy around the book when it came out and I can see why. Some points:

Jesus was born in Nazareth not in Bethlehem. Bethlehem was at least a 3 day ride away and there is no way a pregnant woman could make that trip on a donkey.

Mary was most likely a unwed mother. Joseph is rarely mentioned in Jesus' life and Jesus is referred to as Mary's son throughout his life and not Joseph's son which was the norm for the time.

Jesus was illiterate like most people from Galilee were in the first century AD. He spoke Aramaic and probably Greek which was the universal language at the time.

He was not a carpenter but most likely a day laborer who worked in the city of Sepphoris at a number of manual labor jobs. Jesus and his family were dirt poor like most of the population of Galilee.

Jesus was never taken to Egypt as a baby. This is a fable. King Herod did not order the killing of all baby boys. Not much if anything is known about Jesus until he is about 30 years of age when he is baptized by John the Baptist and more or less pushes John aside and takes over his ministry.

Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God but the Son of Man. His goal was to bring down the Jewish cult which was controlled by the priests in Jerusalem and to establish a more equitable form of government on earth. He was more of a revolutionary than a religious figure while on earth. The savior stuff came after his death and was more the work of St. Paul. Jesus wanted to change the Jewish cult not bring it down. He was naive when it came to the Romans and the bigger picture.

Pontius Pilate never met with Jesus. This is another gospel fable. There were numerous people mostly from Galilee who claimed to be the messiah. They were all executed rather quickly and none had a trial before the Roman governor. Jesus was largely irrelevant while on earth.

Did Jesus ever marry? There is just no evidence of it although it was unusual for a healthy male to be single until the age of 33.

The book also goes into detail about Jesus' brother James and his fights with Paul of Taurus and how James wanted to work with the Jewish cult while Paul wanted a complete break. You can make the argument that Paul is more the founder of Christianity than Jesus.

So Jesus was a small time preacher who wanted changes at the local level. He was killed and then the writers of the gospels (we don't know who they are) took over and made him into something much bigger than he could ever have imagined.

It is too bad that there was no one around Jesus who could write and describe him and his actions/personality in more detail while he walked on this earth. He was a poor but charismatic and caring man who wanted to help the destitute people he saw around him.

I enjoyed this book and I am not religious at all. 8/10

Last edited by cash; 12-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Just read the book below about the Jesus of Nazareth. This is about the historical Jesus not Jesus Christ the savior. There was controversy around the book when it came out and I can see why. Some points:

Jesus was born in Nazareth not in Bethlehem. Bethlehem was at least a 3 day ride away and there is no way a pregnant woman could make that trip on a donkey.

Mary was most likely a unwed mother. Joseph is rarely mentioned in Jesus' life and Jesus is referred to as Mary's son throughout his life and not Joseph's son which was the norm for the time.

Jesus was illiterate like most people from Galilee were in the first century AD. He spoke Aramaic and probably Greek which was the universal language at the time.

He was not a carpenter but most likely a day laborer who worked in the city of Sepphoris at a number of manual labor jobs. Jesus and his family were dirt poor like most of the population of Galilee.

Jesus was never taken to Egypt as a baby. This is a fable. King Herod did not order the killing of all baby boys. Not much if anything is known about Jesus until he is about 30 years of age when he is baptized by John the Baptist and more or less pushes John aside and takes over his ministry.

Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God but the Son of Man. His goal was to bring down the Jewish cult which was controlled by the priests in Jerusalem and to establish a more equitable form of government on earth. He was more of a revolutionary than a religious figure while on earth. The savior stuff came after his death and was more the work of St. Paul. Jesus wanted to change the Jewish cult not bring it down. He was naive when it came to the Romans and the bigger picture.

Pontius Pilate never met with Jesus. This is another gospel fable. There were numerous people mostly from Galilee who claimed to be the messiah. They were all executed rather quickly and none had a trial before the Roman governor. Jesus was largely irrelevant while on earth.

Did Jesus ever marry? There is just no evidence of it although it was unusual for a healthy male to be single until the age of 33.

The book also goes into detail about Jesus' brother James and his fights with Paul of Taurus and how James wanted to work with the Jewish cult while Paul wanted a complete break. You can make the argument that Paul is more the founder of Christianity than Jesus.

So Jesus was a small time preacher who wanted changes at the local level. He was killed and then the writers of the gospels (we don't know who they are) took over and made him into something much bigger than he could ever have imagined.

It is too bad that there was no one around Jesus who could write and describe him and his actions/personality in more detail while he walked on this earth. He was a poor but charismatic and caring man who wanted to help the destitute people he saw around him.

I enjoyed this book and I am not religious at all. 8/10

Sounds like an interesting book, the author's name sounds familiar.
    Added to the mix is that the reports of the various events from the life (and death) of Jesus were not contemporary to the timing of the events - they first showed up 30 - 40 years (or more) after the events. Many reports of the events and the tellings of the events, also have contradictory elements, or fail to mention in one telling a significant aspect of another telling of the same event.

I knew a gentlemen years ago who was the former head of Philosophy & Religion at a local university. He was a German Jew whose family fled to England when Hitler rose, and later went to Israel. He has studied the Bible in several languages - including Hebrew - and said that:

1. His biggest problem with many translations is that they interpret ancient words in a modern context which changes the meaning.
    2. He felt that the King James Version was the best and most faithful English translation.

He wrote a book (which I printed) about errors of fact and\or contradictions in the Bible.
    He was a very devout man - his book was not meant to disprove anything in the Bible other than that there are no errors of fact or contradictions therein.
    He got death threats from Christians for writing that book.

So it goes.

I just ordered a book for my DIL for Christmas that is a "key word" directory of Hebrew words and their meanings at the time(s) the Bible was written, to help in better understanding some of the phrases and passages in the Bible, I hope to have a chance to read through it before I gift wrap it.

I'm not religious either - I don't think the supernatural aspects can possibly be true after my idea of critical, unafraid reflection.
    But my favorite quote concerning the Bible is attributed to Galileo - a devout man in spite of his science, who while on trial for his life for saying that the earth was not at the center of the universe; commented that, "the Bible teaches us how to go to Heaven, not how the Heavens go".
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

A book I want for Christmas. It's about the IRA killing of a mother of 10 back in 1971:

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=say+nothin...b_sb_ss_i_1_12

A book I will purchase this week. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81EnVUIrXTL.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	54900
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I am reading a short book called In The Shadow of My Brother's Cold. Blood. By Walter David Hickock, Dick's younger brother. (In Cold Blood). Very depressing of course. And sad.

Just now reading the book:Ladies who Punch.
    (The explosive inside story of The View)
    By Ramin Setoodeh (2019)

Those women really hated each other no
    matter what was said on air.

Barbara Walters came across as an old snob.
    Star Jones as a bridezilla who only wanted free stuff etc...

Elisabeth Hasselbeck as a fox news air head.

Rosie O'Donnell and Joy Behar were the only sane.smart
    ones in the book.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Currently reading Innocent Victims by Scott Whsnat, about the murder of Kathryn Eastburn and her two daughters ala Jeffery Macdonald style, the baby was I think was about a year old and survived the Killer didn't kill her just put her in her crib and left her and I think the poor thing was in her crib for two days while her mom and two sisters were dead, they lived in military housing and can anyone guess where.....ding ding same one as Jeffrey Macdonald. My Favorite Murder pod cast did an episode about them and it was a good one.

After reading this book it is difficult to say anything good about the IRA. Their methods were just so brutal and arbitrary. They used a napalm like bomb to blow up a restaurant in 1978. Never get on the bad side of the IRA. The people they were most brutal to were former members who had had enough and just wanted to get out. If you were suspected of being an informant you were shot in the back of the end and buried in the countryside. They are still looking for bodies till this day.

Gerry Adams is a terrorist who should be in prison instead he is seen as some Irish wise man. The guy is a psychopath who urged others to kill and starve themselves while he never missed a meal.

The Brits have a lot to answer for but this conflict should have been peacefully negotiated in the 1970s - it was eventually in the 1990s with the Good Friday Agreement. The one fault with the book is that it doesn't deal with the Ulster paramilitary groups. Ian Paisley and his bunch were just as bad as the IRA.

A good book which looks at the ongoing trauma of a unnecessary conflict.

That does sound good, Cash. Thanks for sharing.

I wanted to read The Family (another take on the Manson Cult) for the third or fourth time (my copy wandered off somewhere years ago), this time on Kindle, but the only one I found was in German. Uh, nein.
    in.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

If You Tell by Gregg Olsen, a true crime book about three adult sisters who share childhood memories of unbearable family secrets and murder.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy I have that book haven't started it yet, I got 13 books over the weekend
    1. The Night The Defeos Died, Ric Osauna (sp)
    2. Perfect Murder Perfect Town about Jonbenet
    3 American Predator: The Hunt for the most Meticulous Serial Killer (About Isreal Keyes)
    4. No Stone Unturned The True Story of the Worlds Premier Forensic Investigators (about NecroSearch) by Steven Jackson
    5. From Here to Eternity by Caitlin Doughty
    6. Murderous Minds Exploring The Criminal Psychopathic Brain.
    7. Nittany Nightmare The Sex Murders of Penn State of 1938-1940
    8. Who Killed Betsy? (1969 murder of Betsy Aarsmada in the Penn State Library another book about her called Murder in the stacks)
    9. For the Thrill of It the Leopold and Lobe murder case.
    10. Damn The Old Tinderbox the Newhall house Hotel Fire of 1838 the hotel was supposed to be fireproof.
    11. Under the Banner of Heaven
    12. Prophet of Death the Mormon blood atonement killings (this was a cult, who splintered off from the Mormon sect)
    13. Prophet's Prey (about Warren Jeffs) By Sam Bower, the private investigator who helped bring them down. )
    Reading the Night the Defeos died first, but yeah I haven't read any of those yet except number 13, It was okay interesting but the last part of it I just wanted to skip through it, man didn't realize how crazy the FLDS members are and how brainwashed Jeffs made them.

I've read some of those books and heard of some of the others. If You Tell is beginning to read like something Ann Rule wrote. It's been a while since I read Olsen, but when I saw his name, I knew it would be a good book.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy, That's good I haven't read any of his I don't think I have, I got Don't Tell from the monthly Prime first read books, where you get first pick of a few that set aside for prime members to read before they are released to the public. I haven't read Ann Rule in a long time. I have Small Sacrifices and The Stranger Beside Me and two more I think.

Cindy I have that book haven't started it yet, I got 13 books over the weekend
    1. The Night The Defeos Died, Ric Osauna (sp)
    2. Perfect Murder Perfect Town about Jonbenet
    3 American Predator: The Hunt for the most Meticulous Serial Killer (About Isreal Keyes)
    4. No Stone Unturned The True Story of the Worlds Premier Forensic Investigators (about NecroSearch) by Steven Jackson
    5. From Here to Eternity by Caitlin Doughty
    6. Murderous Minds Exploring The Criminal Psychopathic Brain.
    7. Nittany Nightmare The Sex Murders of Penn State of 1938-1940
    8. Who Killed Betsy? (1969 murder of Betsy Aarsmada in the Penn State Library another book about her called Murder in the stacks)
    9. For the Thrill of It the Leopold and Lobe murder case.
    10. Damn The Old Tinderbox the Newhall house Hotel Fire of 1838 the hotel was supposed to be fireproof.
    11. Under the Banner of Heaven
    12. Prophet of Death the Mormon blood atonement killings (this was a cult, who splintered off from the Mormon sect)
    13. Prophet's Prey (about Warren Jeffs) By Sam Bower, the private investigator who helped bring them down. )
    Reading the Night the Defeos died first, but yeah I haven't read any of those yet except number 13, It was okay interesting but the last part of it I just wanted to skip through it, man didn't realize how crazy the FLDS members are and how brainwashed Jeffs made them.
    I would read book # 9 about the Leopold and Loeb case
    because I have always liked the Film:Rope (1948) that was
    inspired by that murder.
    Also I'm a big Alfred Hitchcock fan.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 01-06-2020 at 03:37 PM.

26. 01-06-2020, 03:36 PM
    Reason
    dupe

London, I have never seen Rope will have to watch it.

Picked up this book today at a used bookstore. Not familiar with the case. A young J Edgar Hoover was involved.

The Five - Halle Rubenhold. A 5 part biography on the 5 canonical victims of Jack the Ripper.
    There's something happening here, what is is ain't exactly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
    The Five - Halle Rubenhold. A 5 part biography on the 5 canonical victims of Jack the Ripper.
    Got to read that! Thanks for sharing!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Picked up this book today at a used bookstore. Not familiar with the case. A young J Edgar Hoover was involved.

Any book about J Edgar Hoover I so look forward
    to reading.
    Because he was such a "complex" person.

Just started No Stone Unturned The True Story of the Worlds Premier Forensic Investigators (about NecroSearch) by Steven Jackson.

I'm loving If You Tell by Gregg Olsen. It reminds me of the Sylvia Likens case.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy, my mom's older sister, knew Sylvia they went to the same school together in Indiana when Sylvia was allowed to go to school, my grandmother lived two doors down from Gertrude, my mom met Sylvia a few times, and she died on my mom's tenth birthday, mom had invited her and her sister months prior to come over on that day, mom, before Alzheimers set in, used to talk about how she was standing on the lawn and watching the ambulance come and carry out Sylvia's body and remembered hearing screams coming from the house, sadly mom didn't know what was going on, and none of the adults got involved, it haunted my mom for a long time as well as my aunt.

Right now I am still reading No Stone Unturned and after that, I'll be reading American Predator about Isreal Keyes.

A book I picked up today - I do love books about assassinations.

I would so enjoy reading any book about Lizzie Borden.

I purchased two Kindle books on Saturday.

1. Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Duggar. The authors are Roman Catholics who present a history of "the young revolutionary who was executed by the Romans." I don't agree with that description of Christ, nor their saying he was 36 when he died, but my internet pastor said it was a fascinating read.

2. The Land Darkened (Book 1 of the Cannibal Country books) by Tony Urban and Drew Strickland. A post apocalyptic thriller about a starving Maine family who venture on a journey in search of a better place to live.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-23-2020 at 12:19 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I ordered this one today on the Charlie Hedbo attacks

Not necessarily death hag related, but any suggestions for audio books for hubby and I to listen to on a 5 hour road trip?

What about The Stand or/and IT by Stephen King. Or Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry And then there's the North and South triology by John Jakes.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

ordered this book today on eliot ness

I could not put it down!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91JqrHLk00L.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	55462