Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carole Lombard

Seating chart for plane

Attachment 44890 I wasn't able to get the list of names in the photo attachment, but Carole and her mother sat in seats 8 and 9.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Alanwench, awesome information and pics. I agree with everyone else, she was a very beautiful and refined woman!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Thanks, Dangitbawb.

Carole Selling War Bonds

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/2013/10/06/
    Celebrating her 105th and everthing else you ever wanted to know about the beautiful and talented Carole Lombard who left us too soon.

Meerkat Guest

7. 10-14-2013, 08:49 PM
    Reason
    Dupe

footage from the day after, shows them dragging a covered body up the mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qk9k81XEQ

Cyclone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death_hag_slag View Post
    Theres a lot of people not on there, I'm sure Scott will get round to it!!!!!
    The thread Bee1001 has linked too is great, loads of info.

reving19 Guest
    Just a little post about Gable and Lombard's alleged honeymoon spot. On a trip to Oatman, AZ, they had this old hotel and upstairs they claim it was the room where they honeymooned. Some have disputed this, but the hotel claims this is it. Enjoy!

(I tried to upload it, but the site said it was too big! So, here is a Photobucket link - http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/li...76a65.jpg.html)

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reving19 View Post
    Just a little post about Gable and Lombard's alleged honeymoon spot. On a trip to Oatman, AZ, they had this old hotel and upstairs they claim it was the room where they honeymooned. Some have disputed this, but the hotel claims this is it. Enjoy!
    According to carolelombard.org, she and Gable did not spend the night in Oatman. The linked page below states that Clark was in the middle of GWTW and got a day off so he and Carole drove to Kingman and got hitched then drove right back to L.A.

http://carolelombard.org/liar-liar-o...tel-is-on-fire

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Next time, go by train.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Next time, go by train.
    No privacy.

Welcome, Poo Bah.

reving19 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    According to carolelombard.org, she and Gable did not spend the night in Oatman. The linked page below states that Clark was in the middle of GWTW and got a day off so he and Carole drove to Kingman and got hitched then drove right back to L.A.

http://carolelombard.org/liar-liar-o...tel-is-on-fire
    Yes, this lady has posted on this before and is pretty adamant that they did not spend the night there in Oatman. That is why I said "alleged". The hotel probably feels threatened by possible loss of tourism dollars, which do not appear to come a lot in Oatman. However, it is fun to feed the wandering burros in town and the staged gunfight is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    footage from the day after, shows them dragging a covered body up the mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qk9k81XEQ
    That was strange! Creepy and hard to take!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Yep Tam it was.
    I wonder if it was Carole they were bringing up?

Yep Tam it was.
    I wonder if it was Carole they were bringing up?
    I thought it might even have been 2 separate bodies. We see 2 clips and one looked to be thinner and the other perhaps had part of an arm/torso. I don't really know though. It was just what my first impression was. It's super hard to say anything for sure. I felt bad for the recovery team having to drag the remains up the mountain like that - I am sure they would have preferred to handle them in a more respectful manner.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Bidmor Guest
    That's the impression I get is that the film depicts two different bodies. The first one's outline is certainly discernible, particularly the outline of the head and upper torso, and that one appears to have at least a leg detached but wrapped with the body. The second corpse appears smaller (or less recovered remains) than the first one, however the camera is much further away so it could be the same corpse. Gruesomely, it occurs to me that the remains were easier to gather and wrap up than otherwise because of the temperature...possibly frozen?

ozzysmom Guest
    I"m watching a Carol Lombard movie on TCM right now. Figured since I don't know much about her, I would see it there is a FAD thread about her. And low and behold, here it is!
    Anybody know how long she was married to William Powell. Yesterday they played his movies all day, it was fun to watch.

She was married to Powell from 1931 to '33, and was married to Gable from '39 until her death.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    I"m watching a Carol Lombard movie on TCM right now. Figured since I don't know much about her, I would see it there is a FAD thread about her. And low and behold, here it is!
    Anybody know how long she was married to William Powell. Yesterday they played his movies all day, it was fun to watch.
    Yes I watched it too.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

73 Years Ago Today

Carole Lombard died...........hard to believe!!

I recently finished reading the book, "Fireball," described at the Amazon link below. I was a little disappointed because there weren't a great deal of death hag information. It did go a great deal into her personality, how she became a movie star, her relationship with Gable, and lots of vintage photos. It also describe to a certain degree information about her fellow passengers and various theories about why the plane crashed. If anyone would like to read the book, pm me your address and I will send it to you bulk rate free of charge. If more than one of you are interested in reading it, I will forward your address to the first person who pms me and maybe that person can continue the favor and send it to you bulk rate free of charge, and so forth.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireball-Carol...carole+lombard
    Any day above ground is a good day.

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/757647.html Photo of her was taken in Chicago on Jan. 14, 1942, where she had done some training in preparation for the Indianapolis rally.

Spudforth Guest
    I heard that he didn't set his Altimeter correctly, which caused the plane to fly slightly lower than they thought it was. Also, before radio navigation was invented the visual navigation aids on top of Potosi Mountain were turned off to prevent Japanese aircraft from using them; they crashed at night.

a train from Indiana ,not a boat ...

I'm surprised it is her stage name rather than real one on the certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I'm surprised it is her stage name rather than real one on the certificate.
    Carole Lombard Gable was her legal name ,she changed her name to Carol Lombard years prior in court...

It's just I saw a lot of comments from fans over the years saying she hated the stage name but if she changed it officially then clearly she didn't.

I read she was the only woman Clark Gable ever really loved. Pa and Ma.

Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese1 View Post
    You are correct, he even stated she was the love of his life.

Pure coincidence- Ricky Nelson also died in a Douglas DC-3 crash.
    Pecunia Loquitur Taurus Cacas Ambulat

Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese1 View Post
    You are correct, he even stated she was the love of his life.
    Even that wasn't enough to keep it in his pants though. The reason she wanted home so quickly was she heard he was at it with Lana Turner on the set of their film. Lana denied it but several people said she was speaking BS including Carole's nephew and they did have a fling.

There is also the fact that many argue that it was actually Joan Crawford who was the real love of his life and not Carole. They always had a can't be with and can't be without each other thing that started before Carole and long after she died. Many think if she had survived, Carole would have ended up leaving him eventually because of all the cheating, and he would have eventually ended up with Joan who didn't care about the cheating as she also had her flings when married and single. Carole's death means no one will ever truly know what would have happened.

Suspicious of the possibility that Gable might stray before leaving on her own war bonds tour, Lombard left a naked, blonde mannequin in his bed to keep him company. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ea6715fac1d7e6

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Suspicious of the possibility that Gable might stray before leaving on her own war bonds tour, Lombard left a naked, blonde mannequin in his bed to keep him company. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ea6715fac1d7e6
    Thank You for this story, kind of reminds me of what happened
    to Glenn Miller also a casualty of World War 2.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Today is the 81st anniversary of the TWA 3 crash that claimed the lives of Carole, her mother and 20 others when their plane crashed into the Potosi Mountains after navigation error by the captain.

For anyone interested in finding out more about her, including how the accident occured and the truth about her marriage to Clark Gable, I recommend the book Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3 by Robert Matzen.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    Today is the 81st anniversary of the TWA 3 crash that claimed the lives of Carole, her mother and 20 others when their plane crashed into the Potosi Mountains after navigation error by the captain.

For anyone interested in finding out more about her, including how the accident occured and the truth about her marriage to Clark Gable, I recommend the book Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3 by Robert Matzen.
    Thanks. I'm going to read it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3HU0e1Wu8
    Carole Lombard's Wedding Ring Found! along with other her jewelry ,I had read her left hand was missing after the crash ,the ring tells the damage done to Carole's hand from the crash. Rest In Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3HU0e1Wu8
    Carole Lombard's Wedding Ring Found! along with other her jewelry ,I had read her left hand was missing after the crash ,the ring tells the damage done to Carole's hand from the crash. Rest In Peace
    It's been a while since I read up but if I recall correctly, the only thing identifiable of her was a whisp of blonde hair that hadn't been burnt. That was the only clue it was Carole.

Carole Lombard (born Jane Alice Peters; October 6, 1908 – January 16, 1942)

Carole Lombard (born Jane Alice Peters; October 6, 1908 – January 16, 1942)
    She was really beautiful. It mystifies me that when you get lists of the most beautiful actresses of the early days, she is either low down the list or not on it at all.

She really was, striking is the word I've seen most used to describe her. With those chiselled features and high cheekbones she was stunning.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.