Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Favorite Christmas special or movie

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    The movie A Christmas Story turned 30. Check out some of the Anniversary Events. Like the one held today, lol:

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/...ersary-events/
    Wow, that's hard to believe! I remember seeing it at the theater, but I didn't think it was that long ago. We have a leg lamp, a throw blanket, drinking glasses, t-shirts, and several different Christmas ornaments with Ralphie on them. We sent out Ralphie Christmas cards last year. He's like a family member around here. Lol

Anyone see the sequel they recently made? I was able to watch it for about 5 minutes.. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Wow, that's hard to believe! I remember seeing it at the theater, but I didn't think it was that long ago. We have a leg lamp, a throw blanket, drinking glasses, t-shirts, and several different Christmas ornaments with Ralphie on them. We sent out Ralphie Christmas cards last year. He's like a family member around here. Lol
    That's one of my favorites too. It's a tie between that and It's a Wonderful Life.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Anyone see the sequel they recently made? I was able to watch it for about 5 minutes.. ugh.
    I looked that up last night after seeing people arguing on the IMDB forums over whether there'd been any other sequels. Pass.

I did find on Wikipedia though that the sequel confusion arises from Shepherd's other stories of the Parker family being made into films. But what a thing to start bitchslapping eachother over online, LOL.

There's a nifty article I found on him that I was gonna post in his thread. I could swear we had one on him. However, nothing comes up. Wondering if the title is either misspelled or missing his name.

After searching a couple of ways, mystery solved. He's just been mentioned in a variety of threads. In any event, here's the article. And if someone wants to start a thread on him, go for it:

http://nypost.com/2013/11/29/curmudg...tory-turns-30/
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-01-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Edit instead of double post. Cuz that's how we do it up in hyuuuur.

1karenhb Guest
    I love A Christmas Story. Have seen it many times over the years. Would love to have gone to the celebration of the 30th. anniversary. I always loved how dad pronounced FRAGILE. FRA G LAY.

Mine is a toss up between A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

babyblujems Guest
    I just bought it for my son but most definitely the Year Without a Santa Claus, Candy Claus and Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

Bayou Queen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I was looking on Amazon at all the things they have related to this movie. I would love your house! I saw the leg lamps and even a leg lamp nightlight. Do you know when it is coming on this year??? I have NEVER seen this movie all the way through, just bits and pieces between cooking. I had bit of a melt down last year, "son of a bitch, I can't believe I missed it again". This year I have DVR!!! I am recording it!!!
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 12-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Wendy A. Guest
    I used to love all the Christmas cartoons, Rudolf, the Charlie Brown Christmas, and A Christmas Story. There's one that was on about Nestor the Christmas Donkey, and that show made me cry my eyes out as a kid and it still does to this day. I can't watch it.

Pryncis Guest
    I don't know if I have posted this here before. I don't have my glasses on and didn't want to scroll through all the pages!

This is a story that my mother told us when we were little. She would tell us the story on Christmas Eve as she was putting us to bed. I think it was the highlight of the Christmas season for me and my little brother. She told us that her mother told them the story and that her grandmother would tell it to her mother... While doing some research one day, I learned that it was actually an old radio show from 1937! So, I think my mother may have embellished the history of the story since her mother was born in the early 1920s and would have been almost an adult when the story was first aired. Regardless, all 13 of us grandkids were told the story each Christmas season and it's been passed down through the years. I just so happened to find all of the episodes of the original radio show online a few years ago and always post the link to them in early December. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...mas-tradition/

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Elf, Home Alone, and A Christmas Story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Quote Originally Posted by elnoradawn View Post
    Elf, Home Alone, and A Christmas Story
    I forgot about Elf. That's a good one too.

14. 12-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Katrinawitch Guest
    You can't just have one category for this topic, so here goes:

Favorite animated/kids special: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, hands down. It's still magical. The stop-motion is great, the Bumble is the cutest villain ever, I love the backgrounds, such as the northern lights in the sky during Rudolph and Hermie's trek through the Arctic, the multiple random pure-bred dogs of Yukon Cornelius. As soon as I hear "When Christmas day is heeere..." it whisks me right back to my childhood.

Favorite older movie: Wow, such a hard one. I love "It's a Wonderful Life", of course. Scrooge with Albert Finney is great. I remember seeing that at Radio City Music Hall before the Christmas Spectacular, way back in the day. White Christmas is great, but now I can't watch it without wondering if the rumors about Vera Ellen's severe anorexia are true, because, wow, she's waaaaaay too thin.

Favorite modern movie: Love Actually hands down. Even though it's not really a Christmas movie, it's so wonderful, and it takes place at Christmas, so there. I also love The Holiday, which, ditto. And who doesn't love Bill Murray in Scrooged? Nobody, that's who.

Absolute favorite: The Snowman. It's an animated movie about a snowman that comes to life and flies with the boy that made it to the North Pole. There's no dialogue (except for a brief narration intro by David Bowie), but it has the most gorgeous animation and haunting music. Check it out if you get the chance. I think it was made in the early 80's.

It's a Wonderful Life is gonna be on NBC here @ 8:00 tonight and again on Christmas Eve. So check your local listings if you like this one too.

All the Rankin and Bass claymations and the Night they saved Christmas with Jaclyn Smith

My favorite Christmas commercial

I'm a fan of the newer holiday classics "Elf", "Fred Clause"... I get tired of the old ones, but "It's a Wonderful Life" is always good for a watch come Christmas time.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
    I was looking on Amazon at all the things they have related to this movie. I would love your house! I saw the leg lamps and even a leg lamp nightlight. Do you know when it is coming on this year??? I have NEVER seen this movie all the way through, just bits and pieces between cooking. I had bit of a melt down last year, "son of a bitch, I can't believe I missed it again". This year I have DVR!!! I am recording it!!!
    I'm so sorry. I just now saw this. I forgot I even posted on this thread. "A Christmas Story" marathon starts at 7:00 eastern time tonight and lasts until 7:00 tomorrow night. It is on TBS, which is channel 247 on Directtv. It should be pretty easy to catch the whole movie in a twenty four hour time span.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for me....I watch it every year without fail.

I guess it's one of those films that always makes me laugh and reminds me that it's Christmas really.

Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and Home Alone 2, The Grinch (with Jim Carey), and of course, A Charlie Brown Christmas. 'Cuz, "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

Right now, I'm watching Christmas Vacation. "I give you...the Griswald Family Christmas Tree."
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Nelliebean Guest
    I watched "It's a wonderful life" for the first time. Cute movie.

from a Christmas Carol (1951)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FLHkHNaHI

Once again in 2021 it will never stop being:
    A Christmas Carol (1951) with Alastair Sim.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

My all time favorite movie is All Mine to Give with Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell and their bunch of children, including Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed girl). Its a 5-hanky drama.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    My all time favorite movie is All Mine to Give with Glynis Johns and Cameron Mitchell and their bunch of children, including Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed girl). Its a 5-hanky drama.
    I have that on a Classics Of Christmas DVD that I bought a couple of years ago and I still have not seen it ! I'll make it a point to this year. In the meantime it would be A Christmas Carol the 1951 version. Close behind would be The Bishops Wife with Loretta Young and White Christmas.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I have that on a Classics Of Christmas DVD that I bought a couple of years ago and I still have not seen it ! I'll make it a point to this year. In the meantime it would be A Christmas Carol the 1951 version. Close behind would be The Bishops Wife with Loretta Young and White Christmas.
    I may and likely have seen ACC 1951 since I used to be a big old movie fan. Haven't seen the others to my knowledge. The Bishop's Wife sounds interesting.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I may and likely have seen ACC 1951 since I used to be a big old movie fan. Haven't seen the others to my knowledge. The Bishop's Wife sounds interesting.
    The Bishops Wife is a beautiful film. Others in my collection that I love are The Holly And The Ivy and Come To The Stable. All three are religious in nature, but with all that is going on in the world it is nice to have that faith in something.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	738329240424.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	55291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51L8JQDLXsL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	55292
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

The Bishops Wife is a beautiful film. Others in my collection that I love are The Holly And The Ivy and Come To The Stable. All three are religious in nature, but with all that is going on in the world it is nice to have that faith in something.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	738329240424.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	55291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51L8JQDLXsL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	55292
    I'll have to give these a looksee.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Tonight White Christmas and The Bishop's Wife. Christmas Eve I always have to watch A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim from 1951, I still think it is the best version. And if I can fit it in Remember The Night with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.

Yes! I was thinking of this version the other day, after reading the Annotated Version of A Christmas Carol. The book basically says that after closing up on Christmas Eve, Scrooge had his usual dinner in his usual restaurant. In this scene in the movie, Scrooge barks at the waiter "Waiter! More bread!" The meek waiter must know Scrooge's cheapness; he politely says "A ha'-penny extra, sir" and awaits Scrooge's decision. After a second or two Scrooge says "No more bread". To me this shows how cheap Scrooge really is. He can afford to pay for the extra bread but he'd rather keep the coin(s) that he CAN'T eat, rather than spend it on bread to fill his stomach, lol.

Breaks my heart every time I see Tim looking at the toys, and his sadness when he sees the boat he'd love to have is taken away, to be purchased.

The one thing this film version (and every other version of this book) gets wrong is what happened to Scrooge's former fiancee. The Ghost of Christmas Past's last vision shown to Scrooge is of her: she's happily married to a wonderful man, they have wonderful kids etc. He comes home from gift-shopping and says to his wife "I saw an old friend of yours.." and she replies, "Oh, who was it? ... don't tell me, you saw Mister Scrooge!" which causes both of them to laugh!! So at some point she told him she was once engaged to Scrooge the miser, or perhaps her husband knows of Scrooge through his business connections. Either way, Scrooge is a joke to them both; to put it in modern terms, she knows she "dodged a bullet" when she broke off her engagement to Scrooge.

This film version, however, shows her volunteering/working in a poorhouse and she's sadly quiet. It's as if all those years later, she never got over the heartache of what happened between her and Scrooge.

Can't stand the MGM version with Reginald Owen, that annoying Tiny Tim and the fact that the Cratchits have a rather nice residence for an underpaid clerk. It's practically a middle-class house by the standards of the time, not one where the oldest son would be familiar with going to the pawn shop (as mentioned in the book).

Also not a big fan of the most-recent version where they use the "F" word every few minutes, lol. It's interesting to see a African-British Mrs. Cratchit, but they changed too much of the plot and made Scrooge a perv by coercing Mrs. C. to strip for money. Not even Tim Burton or John Waters' combined efforts could make a darker, more sinister version of Carol than that.

Has anyone else noticed the "gaff" in the Sim version? When Scrooge is dancing around on Christmas morning and scaring the shit out of Mrs. Dilber (another wonderful performance in the film, by the way) he goes back and forth by the mirror which is facing the camera. Look closely at the mirror and you'll see some unknown man walking back and forth a few times. Also, how cool is it that they got Ernest Thesiger aka "Dr. Praetorius" from Bride of Frankenstein to play the undertaker?

Your images need proper attribution, or else your breaking rule 7 about copyright infringement.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 12-30-2022 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Images removed per rule seven.

They have always said the 1951 film is the "finest" adaption and it is. Everyone is wonderful, Sim and Kathleen Harrison are pitch perfect.

Wishing one and all a safe and Happy Christmas!!

They have always said the 1951 film is the "finest" adaption and it is. Everyone is wonderful, Sim and Kathleen Harrison are pitch perfect.

Wishing one and all a safe and Happy Christmas!!
    I so agree with all this, Alastair Sim (1900 - 1976) was the best
    Scrooge in a Christmas Carol (1951)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

A Christmas Story, remember going to the theater with mom and dad to see it. Oh and Can't forget Die Hard...

My fave is All Mine to Give with Glynis Johns, Camaron Michell, Alan Hale Jr, and Patty McCormack (of Bad Seed fame). Scottish immigrants Marmie and Robert--Glynis & Camaron--arrive in a tiny Eureka, Wisconsin, USA, logging village in 1856, build a cabin, have a 100,000 kids, and die of diphtheria. The oldest boy Robbie (Rex Thompson) gives all his brothers and sisters away on Christmas Day. I haven't seen it in years because it makes me cry ugly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have that movie and I have still not seen it yet! I think tonight I will pop it in the player. Will I need kleenex? Lol.

I have that movie and I have still not seen it yet! I think tonight I will pop it in the player. Will I need kleenex? Lol.
    At least a box.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

OMG Cindy, I had forgotten about that movie and was happy to do so, I used to sob so hard watching it that I had a headache the next day.

At least a box.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    OMG Cindy, I had forgotten about that movie and was happy to do so, I used to sob so hard watching it that I had a headache the next day.
    Now that was a tearjerker! Sad as it was what a wonderful movie and cast, including some old familiar faces, Alan Hale, Ellen Corby and Reta Shaw. Just a good old fashioned film the kind they don't make anymore. Here is a fun fact, Patty McCormack said she had fond memories of making it, but several older cast members were a bit intimidated working with her. Not surprising since she only 12 and had been nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe when she was 11! She made history as being the youngest nominee for the award.

Anyone ever see The Shop Around The Corner ? I think it was James Stewart but I can't recall the woman's name. I loved that film .They sort of re-visited it with a modern plot in You've Got Mail .

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    Anyone ever see The Shop Around The Corner ? I think it was James Stewart but I can't recall the woman's name. I loved that film .They sort of re-visited it with a modern plot in You've Got Mail .
    That is a lovely film. It's Margaret Sullavan who was once married to James' best friend Henry Fonda.

Thanks Mansfield !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    My mum has always loved the 70s Musical version with Albert Finney. I was never a fan myself but my sister is and they have now got my niece into it. It's a tradition now to put it on at least once every Xmas in ours while my nephew and I are usually banished to another room. This year we had to put up with it twice as it was also on the TV even though they knew they had it on DVD and were gonna watch it a few days later....

The Alistair Sim one was freaky for me when I was a kid. I think it's because of that, I haven't really watched it since.