Thread: Ian Dury

Waltham Abbey in Essex & Filey In Yorkshire UK

Ian Dury

As mentioned in the Sid Vicious thread
    I had to start one up about Ian Drury (1942 to 2000)

Hereā??s a link to a good website
    Ian Dury and The Blockheads

His songs always bring a smile (reasons to be cheerful)
    & the Blockheads were Fantastic Musicians who continue to tour

He was huge in the UK and is sadly missed

Ahhh the memories of my teens!!!! (wistful look!)

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    My cat is in London?? She was just here!!

Cataroo Guest
    I will have to go out in my garage and dig around. I believe I still have a few of their albums (yes, I own vinyl)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    And here I am! the cat that belongs to Harry in Sunny Finsbury Park, London, N4

what a brilliant start to the weekend (it is 20 past 2 here as the clocks went back last weekend)

Saw Wee Willy Harriss (immortalised by Ian & the gang) on telly last week
    he can paly the piano!!!

orionova Guest
    Ian Dury was amazing. No matter what, he never lost his sense of humour. I was so sad when he died.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    Harry, you'd better keep an eye on your furball, she's wandering to say the least lol

More Cheese Please Guest
    Sex and drugs and rock and roll
    Is all my brain and body need!!!

cherryghost Guest
    I saw Ian Dury at the capitol in Sydney in the early 80's and he was brought on by an assistant his disability disappeared once he performed, he was great and then he was assisted off stage!

cachluv Guest
    Wake up, and make love with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSobvm2nR8I
    Last edited by cachluv; 01-01-2008 at 06:07 AM.

One of his tracks is.
    "There aint half been some Clever Bas***ds"

he should have included himself in that list

Tugboat25 Guest
    From what I understand Ian Dury was a very nice guy.
    It's always a cool moment when you get to hear an Ian Dury song.

lois steeme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Cat View Post
    As mentioned in the Sid Vicious thread
    I had to start one up about Ian Drury (1942 to 2000)

Hereā??s a link to a good website
    Ian Dury and The Blockheads

His songs always bring a smile (reasons to be cheerful)
    & the Blockheads were Fantastic Musicians who continue to tour

He was huge in the UK and is sadly missed

Ahhh the memories of my teens!!!! (wistful look!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLf76wtkx5k My Old Man from New Boots and Panties!

And "knock me down wiv a fevver, Clevor Trevor!" AW RIGHT!

RIP, Ian.

Handrejka Guest
    He died the same day as my uncle, who also passed from cancer, bit of a double whammy for me that.

I am sorry to hear about your uncle passing away. I wonder if he and Ian have met up on the other side?

Guest Guest
    Am a fan myself! I've heard all their albums. Ian was a great wit and a good actor too!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Hit..me..with..your..rhythm...stick....Hit..me....HIT..ME!....Great..band
    the..blockheads......Great..live.....Loved..them!

Paige B Guest

Das ist gut! C'est fantastique!

One of my favorite lines in a song ever!!

Hit me with your rhythm stick.
    Hit me! Hit me!
    Hit me! hit me! hit me!
    It's nice to be a lunatic.
    Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige B View Post
    One of my favorite lines in a song ever!!

Hit me! Hit me!
    Hit me! hit me! hit me!
    It's nice to be a lunatic.
    Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

You..got..that..right...Paige..!

Noreen Guest
    Ohhh, I loved Ian!! I had the honor of seeing him open for Lou Reed once. And, it's true, his disabilities did disappear on stage. He had polio when he was young, right?

RIP Ian

vandal Guest
    ah i was just listening to ian's music tonight and tought id look him up, sure do miss this guy!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Love him! Hit me with your rhythm stick.....

For all of the Death Hags: Sweet Gene Vincent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEio9VyOJVg

cherryghost Guest
    Did I mention I saw him perform at the Capitol Theatre in Sydney in the late 80's he was helped on and off the stage.
    In between, on that stage and performing he needed no assistance at all! Magic!

Guest Guest
    Ian Robins Dury (12 May 1942 – 27 March 2000) was an English rock and roll singer, songwriter, bandleader and actor who initially rose to fame during the late 1970s, during the punk and New Wave era of rock music. He is best known as founder, frontman, and lead singer of the British band Ian Dury and the Blockheads, who were amongst the most important groups of the New Wave era in the UK.

As a songwriter, his authorship of highly popular songs of the time, in particular the classic single, "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll", was underplayed at the time by critics, though it has been performed and quoted by countless musicians since it was written. Dury somehow never got the recognition of a historically notable songwriter, whose song summed up the credo of an unquestionable number of rock and roll musicians both before him, and to follow, whereas for other artists such a song often makes them a household name.

Dury was born in north-west London at his parents' home at 43 Weald Rise, Harrow Weald, Harrow (although he often pretended, and indeed all but one of his obituaries in the national press stated, that he was born in Upminster, Essex). His father, William, was a bus-driver and ex boxer, while his mother Margaret (known as Peggy) was a Health Visitor, the daughter of a Cornish doctor, and granddaughter of an Irish landowner.

William Dury trained with Rolls Royce to be a chauffeur, and was then absent for long periods, so Peggy Dury took Ian to stay with her parents in Cornwall. After World War II, the family moved to Switzerland, where his father chauffeured for a millionaire and the Western European Union. In 1946 Peggy brought Ian back to England and they stayed with her sister, Mary, a physician in Cranham, a small village bordering Upminster. Although he saw his father on visits, they never lived together again.

At the age of seven, he contracted polio; very likely, he believed, from a swimming pool at Southend on Sea during the 1949 polio epidemic. After 6 weeks in a full plaster cast in Truro hospital, he was moved to Block Notley Hospital, Braintree, Essex, where he spent a year and a half before going to Chailey Heritage Craft School, East Sussex, in 1951. Chailey was a school and hospital for disabled children, and believed in toughening them up, contributing to the observant and determined person Dury became. Chailey taught trades such as cobbling and printing, but Dury's mother wanted him to be more academic, so his aunt Moll arranged for him to enter the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe in 1954.

Dury left school at the age of 16 to study at Walthamstow Art College. In 1964 he won a place at the Royal College of Art where he was taught by the eminent British artist Peter Blake and, in 1967, Dury himself started teaching art at various colleges in the south of England. When asked why he did not pursue a career in art, he once said, "I got good enough [at art] to realise I wasn't going to be very good." Despite this claim, Dury did have some notable successes as an artist, such as gaining a place in a group exhibition, Fantasy and Figuration, alongside Pat Douthwaite, Herbert Kitchen and Stass Paraskos in a show at the prestigious Institute of Contemporary Arts in London, in 1967.

First marriage

Dury married his first wife, Betty Rathmell, in 1967 and they had two children, Jemima and Baxter, who is now also a recording artist, and author of the ballad "Cocaine Man". They divorced in 1985 but remained on good terms. She died of cancer in 1994.

Kilburn and the High-Roads

Dury was inspired to form Kilburn and the High-Roads (a pun on the road in north London) in November 1970 following the death of his hero Gene Vincent. Dury was vocalist and lyricist, co-writing with pianist Russell Hardy and later enrolling into the group a number of the students he was teaching at Canterbury College of Art, including guitarist Keith Lucas (who later became the guitarist for 999 under the name Nick Cash) and bassist Humphrey Ocean. Managed by Charlie Gillett and Gordon Nelki, the Kilburns found favour on London's Pub Rock circuit and signed to Dawn Records in 1974, but despite favourable press coverage and a tour opening for The Who, the group failed to rise above cult status. The group disbanded in 1975.

Under the management of Andrew King and Peter Jenner (the original managers of Pink Floyd) Ian Dury and the Blockheads quickly gained a reputation as one of the top live acts of the "New Wave". They built up a dedicated following in the UK and other countries and scored several hit singles, including "What a Waste", "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" (which was a UK number one at the beginning of 1979, selling just short of a million copies), "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3" (number three in the UK in 1979), and the rock and roll anthem, "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll". (Although it is sometimes claimed that Dury coined the phrase, there is evidence that it was already in common use and a virtually identical wording was used by Australian band Daddy Cool for the title of their second album Sex, Dope & Rock'n'Roll: Teenage Heaven, released in 1972).

Dury's lyrics are a distinctive combination of lyrical poetry, word play, observation of British everyday (working-class) life, acute character sketches, and vivid, earthy sexual humour. "This is what we find ... [H]ome improvement expert Harold Hill of Harold Hill, Of do-it-yourself dexterity and double-glazing skill, Came home to find another gentleman's kippers in the grill, So he sanded off his winkle with his Black & Decker drill." The song "Billericay Dickie" continues this sexual content, rhyming "I had a love affair with Nina, In the back of my Cortina" with "A seasoned-up hyena, Could not have been more obscener".

The Blockheads' sound drew from its members' diverse musical influences, which included jazz, rock and roll, funk, and reggae, and Dury's love of music hall. The band was formed after Dury began writing songs with pianist and guitarist Chaz Jankel (the brother of noted music video, TV, commercial and film director Annabel Jankel). Jankel took Dury's lyrics, fashioned a number of songs, and they began recording with members of Radio Caroline's Loving Awareness Band—drummer Charley Charles, bassist Norman Watt-Roy, keyboard player Mick Gallagher, guitarist John Turnbull -- and former Kilburns saxophonist Davey Payne. An album was completed, but major record labels passed on the band. However, next door to Dury's manager's office was the newly formed Stiff Records, a perfect home for Dury's maverick style. Their classic single, "Sex & Drugs & Rock and Roll", marked Dury's Stiff debut and although it was banned by the BBC it was named Single of the Week by NME on its release. It was soon followed by the album New Boots and Panties!!, which was eventually to achieve platinum status.

In October 1977 Dury and his band started performing as Ian Dury & The Blockheads, when the band signed on for the Stiff "Live Stiffs Tour" alongside Elvis Costello And The Attractions, Nick Lowe, Wreckless Eric, and Larry Wallis. The tour was a success, and Stiff launched a concerted Ian Dury marketing campaign, resulting in the Top Ten hit, "What a Waste", and the classic hit single, "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick", which reached #1 in the UK, was notably not included on the original release of their subsequent LPDo It Yourself. Both the single and its accompanying music video featured Davey Payne simultaneously playing dual saxophones during his solo, in evident homage to jazz saxophonist Rahsaan Roland Kirk, whose 'trademark' technique this was.“ Einstein can't be classed as witless

He claimed atoms were the littlest
    When you did a bit of splittin'-ness
    Frightened everybody shitless ”

—from There ain't half been some clever bastards
    “ I could be a lawyer with strategems and ruses

I could be a doctor with poultices and bruises
    I could be a writer with a growing reputation
    I could be the ticket man at Fulham Broadway station"

Guest Guest
    The band's second album Do It Yourself was released in June 1979 in a Barney Bubbles-designed sleeve of which there were over a dozen variations, all based on samples from the Crown wallpaper catalogue. Bubbles also designed the Blockhead logo (illustrated on the left) which received international acclaim, and continued to be used by the Blockheads after Dury's death, e.g. on their DVD: Live in Colchester 2004.

Jankel left the band temporarily and relocated to the U.S. after the release of "What A Waste" (his organ part on that single was overdubbed later) but he subsequently returned to the UK and began touring sporadically with the Blockheads, eventually returning to the group full-time for the recording of "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick"; according to guitarist Mickey Gallagher, the band recorded 28 takes of the song but eventually settled on the second take for the single release. Partly due to personality clashes with Dury, Jankel quit the group again in 1980, after the recording of the Do It Yourself LP, and he returned to the USA to concentrate on his solo career. The group worked solidly over the eighteen months between the release of "Rhythm Stick" and their next single, "Reasons To Be Cheerful", which returned them to the charts, making the UK Top 10. Jankel was replaced by former Dr. Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson, who also contributed to the next album Laughter and its two minor hit singles, although Gallagher recalls that the recording of the Laughter album was difficult and that Dury was drinking heavily in this period. In 1980-81 Dury and Jankel teamed up again with Sly and Robbie and the Compass Point All Stars to record Lord Upminster. The Blockheads toured the U.K and Europe throughout 1981, sometimes augmented by jazz legend Don Cherry on trumpet, ending the year with their only tour of Australia.

The Blockheads disbanded in early 1982 after Dury secured a new recording deal with Polydor Records through A&R man Frank Neilson. Choosing to work with a group of young musicians which he named The Music Students, he recorded the album Four Thousand Weeks' Holiday. This album marked a departure from his usual style and was not as well received by fans for its American jazz influence.

The Blockheads briefly reformed in June 1987 to play a short tour of Japan, and then disbanded again. In September 1990, following the death from cancer of drummer Charley Charles, they reunited for two benefit concerts in aid of Charles' family, held at The Forum, Camden Town, with Steven Monti on drums. In December 1990, augmented by Merlin Rhys-Jones on guitar and Will Parnell on percussion, they recorded the live album Warts & Audience at the Brixton Academy.

The Blockheads (minus Jankel, who returned to California) toured Spain in January 1991, then disbanded again until August 1994 when, following Jankel's return to England, they were invited to reform for the Madstock Festival in Finsbury Park; this was followed by sporadic gigs in Europe, Ireland, the U.K. and Japan through late 1994 and 1995. In the early 1990s, Dury appeared with English band Curve on the benefit compilation album Peace Together. Dury and Curve singer Toni Halliday shared vocals on a cover of the Blockheads' track "What a Waste".

In March 1996 Dury was diagnosed with cancer and, after recovering from an operation, he set about writing another album. In early 1998 he reunited with the Blockheads to record the well-received album Mr Love-Pants. In May, Ian Dury & The Blockheads hit the road again, with Dylan Howe replacing Steven Monti on drums. Davey Payne left the group permanently in August and was replaced by Gilad Atzmon; this amended lineup gigged throughout 1999, culminating in their last performance with Ian Dury on 6 February 2000 at the London Palladium. Dury died six weeks later on 27 March 2000.

The Blockheads have continued after Dury's death, contributing to the tribute album Brand New Boots And Panties, then Where's The Party. The Blockheads still tour, and are currently recording a new album. They currently comprise Jankel, Watt-Roy, Gallagher, Turnbull, Dylan Howe on drums, Gilad Atzmon and Dave Lewis on saxes. Derek The Draw (who was Dury's friend and minder) is now writing songs with Jankel as well as singing. They are aided and abetted by Lee Harris, who is their 'aide de camp'.

Spasticus Autisticus

His 1981 song "Spasticus Autisticus", intended to mark the International Year of Disabled Persons, was banned by the BBC despite having been written by a disabled person (Dury had suffered from polio). The lyrics were uncompromising:
    So place your hard-earned peanuts in my tin
    And thank the Creator you're not in the state I'm in
    So long have I been languished on the shelf
    I must give all proceedings to myself

The song's refrain, "I'm spasticus, autisticus" was inspired by the response of the rebellious Roman gladiators in the film Spartacus, who, when instructed to identify their leader, all answered, "I am Spartacus", to protect him.

Acting and other activities

Ian Dury's confident and unusual demeanour caught the eyes of producers and directors of drama. His first important and extensive role was in Farrukh Dhondy's mini-series for the BBC, King of the Ghetto (1987), a drama set in London's multi-racial Brick Lane area with a cast led by a young Tim Roth. Dury had small parts in several films, probably the most well-known of which was Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, as well as cameo appearances in Roman Polanski's Pirates and the Sylvester Stallone science fiction film Judge Dredd.

Dury also wrote a musical, Apples, staged in London's Royal Court Theatre. He had a small supporting role in The Crow: City of Angels, directed by Tim Pope, who had directed a few of Dury's music videos. He also appeared alongside fellow songwriters Bob Dylan and Tom Waits, respectively, in the movies Hearts of Fire (1987) and Bearskin: An Urban Fairytale (1989). In 1987 he appeared as the narrator (Scullery) in Road at the Royal Court Theatre. Among the cast was actress and singer Jane Horrocks, who co-habited with Dury until late in 1988, although the relationship was kept discreet.

Dury wrote and performed the theme song "Profoundly in Love with Pandora" for the television series The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (1985), based on the book of the same name by Sue Townsend, as well as its follow-up, The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (1987). Dury turned down an offer from Andrew Lloyd-Webber to write the libretto for Cats (a gig which reportedly earned Richard Stilgoe millions). The reason, said Dury, "I can't stand his music." "... I said no straight off. I hate Andrew Lloyd Webber. He's a wanker, isn't he? ... [E]very time I hear 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' I feel sick, it's so bad. He got Richard Stilgoe to do the lyrics in the end, who's not as good as me. He made millions out of it. He's crap, but he did ask the top man first!"

When AIDS first came to prominence in the mid-1980s, Dury was among celebrities who appeared on UK television to promote safe sex, demonstrating how to put on a condom using a model of an erect penis. In the 1990s, he became an ambassador for UNICEF, recruiting stars such as Robbie Williams to publicise the cause. The two visited Sri Lanka in this capacity to promote polio vaccination. Dury appeared with Curve on the Peace Together concert and CD (1993), performing "What a Waste", with benefits to the Youth of Northern Ireland. He also supported the charity Cancer BACUP.

Dury appeared in the Classic Albums episode that focused on Steely Dan's album, Aja. Dury commented that the album was one of the most "hopeful" he'd ever heard, and that the album "lifted [his] spirits up" whenever he played it. He also felt that it showed Steely Dan's love for jazz musicians and that it had "California in its blood...[even though it was recorded by] boys from New York."

Illness

It was known for some time before his death that Dury had cancer. He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 1996 and underwent surgery, but tumours were later found in his liver, and he was told that his condition was terminal. Upon learning of his illness Dury took the opportunity to marry his girlfriend, sculptress Sophy Tilson, with whom he had two children, Billy and Albert.

In 1998, his death was incorrectly announced on XFM radio by Bob Geldof, possibly due to hoax information from a listener. In 1999, Dury collaborated with Madness on their first original album in 14 years on the track "Drip Fed Fred". Suggs and the band cite him as a great influence. It was to be one of his last recordings.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads' last performance was a charity concert in aid of Cancer BACUP on 6 February 2000 at The London Palladium, supported by Kirsty MacColl and Phill Jupitus. Dury was noticeably ill and had to be helped on and off stage.

Death

Dury died of metastatic liver cancer on 27 March 2000, aged 57. An obituary in The Guardian read: "one of few true originals of the English music scene". Meanwhile, he was described by Suggs, the singer with Madness, as "possibly the finest lyricist we've seen." The Ian Dury website opened an online book of condolence shortly after his death, which was signed by hundreds of fans. The 250 mourners at his funeral included fellow musicians Suggs and Jools Holland as well as "celebrity fans" such as MP Mo Mowlam.

Guest Guest

Noreen Guest
    Wow, I revisted this thread and Vlad had done his magic! So much new ifo here. Vlad, you are the greatest!

NineTails20 Guest
    Mea culpa for digging this thread back up, but I've been on an Ian Dury kick as of late. I blame it on the biography 'Sex & Drugs & Rock'N'Roll: The Life of Ian Dury', by Richard Balls. A great read.

Ian was one of the most under-rated songwriters in Britain. The lyrics to tracks like 'I Wanna Be Straight', 'Wake Up And Make Love With Me', 'There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards', and one of my all time favourite songs, 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' were amazing. I dare you to listen to that one, and not shake yer rump to Norman Watt-Roy's stunning bass line.

Whether you were lucky enough to have heard Ian with Kilburn And The High Roads, or with The Blockheads, you never forgot his work. Sorely missed.
    Last edited by NineTails20; 06-29-2010 at 01:59 AM.

I adore Norman
    even more now he's had his teeth done!! (Sorry Norman Mate but it had to be said!!!!!!)

NineTails20 Guest
    There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards

Noel Coward was a charmer.
    As a writer he was brahma.
    Velvet jackets and pyjamas,
    "the gay divorce" and other dramas.

There ain't half been some clever bastards
    (Lucky bleeders, lucky bleeders)
    There ain't half been some clever bas-tards.

Van Gough did some eyeball pleasers.
    He must have been a pencil squeezer.
    He didn't do the Mona Lisa,
    That was an Italian geezer.

Einstein can't be classed as witless.
    He claimed atoms were the littlest.
    When you did a bit of splitting-em-ness
    Frighten everybody shitless

There ain't half been some clever bastards.
    Probably got help from their mum
    (who had help from her mum).
    There ain't half been some clever bastards.
    Now that we've had some,
    let's hope that there's lots more to come.

Okey-dokey!
    Oh!
    Segovia.
    Da-laa la-laa da-daa da-lee
    De dump di dump de dump-dump-diddle li-lee.

There ain't half been some clever........
    ..................................bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    Norman Watt-Roy's stunning bass line.

I love Ian Dury.

Norman Watt-Roy is one of the greatest unsung heroes in the industry IMO. Phenomenal bass player.

NineTails20 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGVgfjnLqc

"Hit me with your rhythm stick
    It's nice to be a lunatic......"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1393020/

Andy "Gollum" Serkis as Dury.

VCNJ~

NineTails20 Guest
    According to his biography on The Blockheads site, Norman also gave the world this bass line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl5DlrsU90

NineTails20 Guest
    One last one before I have to take the kids to school.

'I Wanna Be Straight':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS5bxk89gQg

Yet more great lyrics.

"I want to be straight, I want to be straight
    I wanna create a place of my own in the welfare state
    Brr, gonna be good, brr, gonna be kind
    It might be a wrench but think of the stench I'm leaving behind

I want to be straight, I want to be straight
    Come out of the cold and do what I'm told and don't deviate
    I wanna give, I wanna give, I wanna give my consent
    I'm learning to hate all the things that were great when I used to be… bent!"

Noreen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1393020/

Andy "Gollum" Serkis as Dury.

VCNJ~
    I have got to see this movie! It's getting great reviews too.

Hit me with your jism stick
    Hit me, hit me
    Make that foreskin go clik click click
    Hit me hit me hit me............

Ah, navy days, we butchered a million songs......
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

NineTails20 Guest
    *snort*

Reminds me of what we sang as not-so-innocent kids.

"Hit me with your hairy dick......".

Ian would have been so proud, lol.

NineTails20 Guest
    Just a note to say that Ian wasn't the only one of the band to fall victim to cancer. His drummer, Charlie Charles, also died of cancer.

orionova Guest
    I love Ian Dury's music. He was a true original, that's for damn sure! We're the lucky ones, though. We'll always have his music, but his kids will never have their dad back.

mcconk2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    *snort*

Reminds me of what we sang as not-so-innocent kids.

"Hit me with your hairy dick......".

Ian would have been so proud, lol.
    or...

i wanna be straight
    i wanna be straight
    i'm gettin sick and tired of things shoved up me date

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSo9O...eature=related

May he RIP, I miss the dirty li'l nipper!