Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Shows that haven't stood the test of time.

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I still try to catch Emergency on Saturday afternoons on ME TV. I think it's still a good show.

And I had a crush on Randolph Mantooth big time. Looking at him now, he has aged very, very well. He's still hot.
    I just googled him, and hot damn, he IS still looking good.

When I was a kid, I used to love "What's Happening!". I've tried to watch it recently, and man, I think it's so dumb lol
    My tv tastes have definitely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by MissZoot View Post
    He looks a lot like Aiden Shaw.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Wendy A. Guest
    Remember The Greatest American Hero? I'm trying real hard not to...

He is still good looking isn't he? As opposed to his old partner on Emergency:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin%20very%20recent%20crop.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	46059

Name:	randolph_mantooth_2003_03_02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	46058
    Last edited by NewEnglander; 03-31-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

tjh960 Guest
    I don't think the transformation of the Hulk in the 1978 series the Incredible Hulk holds up to well by todays standards...but its still a good series in my book..I used to like the piano music at the end..It really gave a sense of loneliness to Bill Bixby.

MissZoot Guest
    He is still good looking isn't he? As opposed to his old partner on Emergency:

Name:	Kevin%20very%20recent%20crop.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	46059

Name:	randolph_mantooth_2003_03_02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	46058
    I have never been able to forgive Roy for Roadhouse, anyway.

Emergency - what a great show. Oh, it's on Me-tv right now. Got to go watch.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

I have never been able to forgive Roy for Roadhouse, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    Emergency - what a great show. Oh, it's on Me-tv right now. Got to go watch.

The actor, formerly known as Dr. Kelly Garrett, has aged very well too. He's still pretty hot too:

Name:	Robert Fuller Then.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	46100

Name:	Robert Fuller Now.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	46101

JudyAnn Guest
    The actor, formerly known as Dr. Kelly Garrett, has aged very well too. He's still pretty hot too:

Name:	Robert Fuller Then.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	46100

Name:	Robert Fuller Now.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	46101
    Minor correction: Dr. Kelly Brackett. I'd love to be in the middle of a Gage and Dr. Brackett sandwich, circa 1975. Or enjoy Gage, in that blue uniform, in the Squad 51 barracks. Oh yeah. Gage was my first crush. The fire still burns.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    Minor correction: Dr. Kelly Brackett. I'd love to be in the middle of a Gage and Dr. Brackett sandwich, circa 1975. Or enjoy Gage, in that blue uniform, in the Squad 51 barracks. Oh yeah. Gage was my first crush. The fire still burns.
    Randolph was my first crush too. So hands off!! He's mine!!!

Randolph was my first crush too. So hands off!! He's mine!!!
    LOL!!! Nope, nope, nope....Johnny Gage is all mine, mine, mine!!! Dayum....his hotness could still cause quite an EMERGENCY!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    LOL!!! Nope, nope, nope....Johnny Gage is all mine, mine, mine!!! Dayum....his hotness could still cause quite an EMERGENCY!!!
    Hey, back off, bitches-you can have him when I'm good and done with him!

"Squad 51, we have a situation where a bunch of women are fighting over Johnny Gage. Injuries are reported. On the corner of Find a Death Forum and Wilshire."

"Squad 51, KMG 365!"

tjh960 Guest
    "Squad 51, we have a situation where a bunch of women are fighting over Johnny Gage. Injuries are reported. On the corner of Find a Death Forum and Wilshire."

"Squad 51, KMG 365!"

"10-4 Rampart getting ready to set up an EKG..and please send Chett and Engine 51....we may need to hose these ladies down....Squad 51 out..."

Quote Originally Posted by tjh960 View Post
    "10-4 Rampart getting ready to set up an EKG..and please send Chett and Engine 51....we may need to hose these ladies down....Squad 51 out..."
    And we'll need lactated ringers! LOL.

17. 04-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Hey, back off, bitches-you can have him when I'm good and done with him!

"Squad 51, KMG 365!"

And we'll need lactated ringers! LOL.
    Love, love, love!!! LMAO!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

MissZoot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Love, love, love!!! LMAO!!!
    Yesterday at work I was talking with two of my coworkers about shows we used to love, and the following conversation occurred:

Me: Funny, I've just been in a discussion about this show I used to love, I don't know if you remember it-Emergency!
    Coworker 1: Johnny Gage was soooo cute!
    Coworker 2: Oh my God, I had the biggest crush on him!
    Me: Hmmmm, go figure.

So maybe the show itself hasn't stood the test of time, but the Gage-lust certainly has!

Nelliebean Guest
    "GageLust"

tjh960 Guest
    Wow!! Whats wrong with Gage's partner Roy...what no love for him??...the poor guy!(LOL)...How about Dr Early the other doctor on the show..well I think he hooked up with Dixie the nurse anyhow.

Nelliebean Guest
    Wow!! Whats wrong with Gage's partner Roy...what no love for him??...the poor guy!(LOL)...How about Dr Early the other doctor on the show..well I think he hooked up with Dixie the nurse anyhow.
    Loved Evil Roy in " Oh,Brother where art thou"

tjh960 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Loved Evil Roy in " Oh,Brother where art thou"
    That's right , he did play some evil characters for a while..But I've forgotten which titles though.....I'm not even sure Randolph Mantooth still acted after Emergency.

Julie London (Dixie) was married to Bobby Troup (Dr. Early). They were married for 40 years until his death. Prior to Bobby, Julie was married to Jack Webb of Dragnet.

Bidmor Guest
    ...and of course, Adam-12 was a product of Jack Webb's production company.

tjh960 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    ...and of course, Adam-12 was a product of Jack Webb's production company.
    I remember watching both shows back to back on Saturday nights....they were both great shows.

Bidmor Guest
    Okay, folks, knock yourselves out...The Classic TV Database:

http://classic-tv.com/

That's right , he did play some evil characters for a while..But I've forgotten which titles though.....I'm not even sure Randolph Mantooth still acted after Emergency.
    Mantooth actually did quite a few acting jobs after Emergency including several episodes of the soap "As The World Turns" just a decade ago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0544168/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

In the late 1970's ( 1979 ) Mantooth did the sitcom "Detective School". Since the show was on ABC ( then the number one network ) it was expected to be a major hit for Randolph even bigger than Emergency !!. Alas it wasn't and today that show is forgotten by many perhaps even by Mantooth himself. Similar thing happened a few months to Shirley Hemphill. Big star from Whats Happening..then offered by ABC her own sitcom "One in a Million". That flopped as well and like "Detective School"..forgotten.

Speaking of Adam 12, I am still waiting for my local ME TV to get Dragnet and Adam 12.

In the late 80's my first husband and I were stationed in Germany and we got a couple of TV stations from England and they used to air Dragnet every day at like 3pm. There was nothing else to watch so I would watch Dragnet and really enjoyed it. I hope ME TV gets their hands on Dragnet and Adam 12 soon.

tjh960 Guest
    Speaking of Adam 12, I am still waiting for my local ME TV to get Dragnet and Adam 12.

In the late 80's my first husband and I were stationed in Germany and we got a couple of TV stations from England and they used to air Dragnet every day at like 3pm. There was nothing else to watch so I would watch Dragnet and really enjoyed it. I hope ME TV gets their hands on Dragnet and Adam 12 soon.
    Me TV was airing them a couple of years ago,I used to DVR them everyday and watch them as I ate my Dinner...ME TV changes it line up every few years.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I have all the episodes of Mama's Family on DVD. Never get tired of watching them.
    Oh, me too! They played it on TBS for years but took it off (damn you, Ted Turner!) and I had to resort to buying a bootleg set because Warner Bros. isn't interested in releasing the rest of the series (damn Warner Bros. too!). I hated the "NBC years" though. The syndicated version is much better. I think it holds up well because it was set in a small town that was suppose to be somewhat behind the times and sort of timeless.

That can't be said for most of the shows I loved as a kid though. Shows like Diff'rent Strokes and Punky Brewster are truly horrible. Cheesy storylines, bad clothes and questionable hair dos aside, the kids in the shows really couldn't act. Gary Coleman was great as a little kid but he lost something when he got older. Kinda like he knew he was funny and didn't really put in the effort.

I think the most dated show that I watch (and own) is Good Times. It's entertaining to me because it's so damn bad. I know acting techniques change throughout the years but it seems like no one in that cast could act. I think Janet Jackson and John Amos were actually the best which isn't saying a lot. And no offense to anyone who was lucid and over the age of 10 in the 70s, but what the hell was the country smoking when they thought that Jimmie Walker was funny? That is the unfunniest, funny looking dude EVER.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Hoagie78 Guest
    I love Mamas Family too. The later years with Bubba and Iola were the best. Another show they started running this week on GSN is the old game show Sale of The Century from the 80's. I use to watch it back in the day and now it's funny to see the old prizes and fashions. They showed a 1988 cell phone that looked like a walkie talkie. I can imagine the radiation that thing gave off.

The Price Is Right has been bragging about them having a male model on their show, but Sale had 2 men along with 3 women as the prize models. Summer Bartholmew was the female co-host to Jim Perry.

Sale ran from 1983-1989, but I read GSN only picked up 60 shows from the last season 1988-89. Maybe they will get some more in the future. GSN is bad to only purchase that small amount of classic shows and cycle them several times before adding more if they are a hit in the ratings.

tjh960 Guest
    Okay, folks, knock yourselves out...The Classic TV Database:

http://classic-tv.com/
    Thanks Bidmor...Cool site!!...

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    Oh, me too! They played it on TBS for years but took it off (damn you, Ted Turner!) and I had to resort to buying a bootleg set because Warner Bros. isn't interested in releasing the rest of the series (damn Warner Bros. too!). I hated the "NBC years" though. The syndicated version is much better. I think it holds up well because it was set in a small town that was suppose to be somewhat behind the times and sort of timeless.
    Thats exactly how I got my Mama dvds...bootleg LOL. Why no "official" Mama Family on DVD other than the first season NBC episodes, even though I had heard the same thing that it was the lack of interest by Warner Brothers I also have a gut feeling that its more of an issue involving the estate of the late Joe Hamilton, mainly Carol Burnett's daughter Jody more than anything else. During the NBC years Carol and Joe were still married but got divorced ( from what I understand it was messy ) before the syndicated Mama had started. Shortly after Joe Hamilton had died in 1991 I seem to recall reading that Joe's ( and Carol's ) three daughters inherited everything including product done after their dads divorce from carol so that right there included the syndicated episodes of Mama. Daughter Carrie died sometime ago so that leaves Erin ( ? ) and Jody but Jody is supposely the "brains" of the group.

I just started seeing commercials on my local ME-TV for ADAM-12, just says "coming soon" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xcheezhd View Post
    I just started seeing commercials on my local ME-TV for ADAM-12, just says "coming soon" or something like that.
    Sweet!! Hopefully my ME TV channel will get it soon too.

Sweet!! Hopefully my ME TV channel will get it soon too.
    ME-TV just posted on FACEBOOK that Dragnet and Adam-12 will be back on May 6th. I think at 4 and 4:30, not sure which one is on first.

Quote Originally Posted by xcheezhd View Post
    ME-TV just posted on FACEBOOK that Dragnet and Adam-12 will be back on May 6th. I think at 4 and 4:30, not sure which one is on first.
    Thanks for the heads up!! I'm excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    I love Mamas Family too. The later years with Bubba and Iola were the best. Another show they started running this week on GSN is the old game show Sale of The Century from the 80's. I use to watch it back in the day and now it's funny to see the old prizes and fashions. They showed a 1988 cell phone that looked like a walkie talkie. I can imagine the radiation that thing gave off.

The Price Is Right has been bragging about them having a male model on their show, but Sale had 2 men along with 3 women as the prize models. Summer Bartholmew was the female co-host to Jim Perry.

Sale ran from 1983-1989, but I read GSN only picked up 60 shows from the last season 1988-89. Maybe they will get some more in the future. GSN is bad to only purchase that small amount of classic shows and cycle them several times before adding more if they are a hit in the ratings.
    I'm going to have to check that out. I used to love watching SOTC when I was home sick from school.

radiojane Guest
    Ally McBeal. I can't stop watching because its such an epic train wreck!! I remember snippets because my parents used to watch, but I forgot about the bad cgi, not to mention such foreword thinking scripts as

" You're fat, I couldn't possibly like you, you'd better settle for the fat chick unless you want to be alone and childless"

" You're a neurotic failure if you aren't married by 28"

"women are so crazy they should be classified as disabled".

Epically bad.

Ugh. Only thing is, I bet Flockhart doesn't seem as anorexic-looking by today's thin-is-in standards. Ally McMeal jokes come to mind.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

radiojane Guest
    She really doesn't and its terrifying. Portia De Rossi has a topless seen and you can see every single bone. So glad she got the help she needed.

Lawren Guest
    Get Smart
    Murphy Brown
    Punky Brewster
    Clarissa Explains It All
    Secret World of Alex Mack
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch

I still love M*A*S*H, I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett Show, Mama's Family.
    All time favorite: Golden Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Ugh. Only thing is, I bet Flockhart doesn't seem as anorexic-looking by today's thin-is-in standards. Ally McMeal jokes come to mind.
    Oh I don't know about that. When I was a kid and through the Allie McBeal era, the Twiggy look was de rigeur. Now I'm seeing alot more variety in clothes for average-sized and larger women. Now if they could just get tall (which does not mean a 34" inseam, retailers) I'd be impressed. Or short, beyond petite on the racks. Not all short women weigh 5 lbs. That's the one I still see as stuck in the Twiggy era. Shows like Roseanne, Mike and Molly and a few others may not be great, for the ages television. But they are helping to bust that last stereotype up.

As for shows that haven't stood the test of time? I loathe just about everything with a laughtrack instead of a live audience. And shows with live audiences that prompt the audience to laugh or clap as was a common practice throughout the 70's and 80's. So many of those haven't stood the test of time that I can't even remember their names.

Bidmor Guest
    METV is promoting F-Troop (hilarious), Gilligan, Love Boat, and Wanted Dead Or Alive added this fall.

Nelliebean Guest
    METV is promoting F-Troop (hilarious), Gilligan, Love Boat, and Wanted Dead Or Alive added this fall.
    F-Troop? OMG!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    F-Troop? OMG!
    http://www.metvnetwork.com/fallforme2013.php

Mammy Guest
    I used to love Gilligan's Island when I was a kid, but I can't imagine trying to sit through it now.

I still love MASH and I also still love to watch WKRP in Cincinnati but a show I feel that would really hold up in our Red/Blue state obsessed culture in this country now is Family Ties. where the parents were liberals and he was super conservative I think that holds up nicely.

Cool!
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I used to love Gilligan's Island when I was a kid, but I can't imagine trying to sit through it now.
    Same here. I think it's because our sense of humor evolves as we get older.