Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shows that haven't stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    Ray Romano gets on my nerves. His character on that show was just a stupid moron and helped start the dumb husbands/all men are dumb trend on TV. Tim Allen is also in that group.

Today when they do a sitcom, the husband is dumb, only talks about sex, sports and food, the wife is a total raging " B" and the kids are smart know it alls that tell their parents off and make fun of them.
    Yeah, my husband gets REALLY pissed about this current stereotype. Needless to say, he doesn't watch ELR with me. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seagorath Guest
    Benson hasn't aged well.

JudyAnn Guest
    Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mystery Stories from 1977-79 are terrible. This is the show that made Shaun Cassidy a teen heart throb. My young kids love to watch it (on Netflix), but is it so campy, dated and unintentionally funny (the clothes, the cars). Even the characters' dialogue is oddly stilted and weird.

I think some of these shows tried so hard to be cutting edge and pepper the show with "current" fashions, cars, pop culture references, etc. that it ended up being outdated even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post

I think some of these shows tried so hard to be cutting edge and pepper the show with "current" fashions, cars, pop culture references, etc. that it ended up being outdated even faster.
    Pop culture references...This sounds a LOT like The Simpsons !! Even though its not totally dated now however by doing episodes featuring Lady Gaga or that American Idol show all its going to do is to age that show that much faster. This is one area I give Seth MacFarlane credit, at least The Family Guy by using a lack of current big name stars on that show at least ten, twenty years from now The Family Guy won't be nearly as dated as The Simpsons will be.

Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    I always thought Carrie was mean spirited (read "bitch"). I felt sorry for Doug. Conversely however, I never thought of Debra's character on "Everybody Loves Raymond" as mean. Ray plucked my nerves big time tho. He really was (IMO) an idiot. Everything was either about sex, golf, his mother, or ridiculous one upmanship with Robert.
    Ray was even more irritating when he would do guest appearances on King of Queens. He always got into some situation with Doug where Doug would get screwed over. Not funny at all.

Carrie was a huge "B" on the show, but as the series progressed, her character got much worse. Kevin James, however, always made me laugh. I mean deep in the belly, laugh out laugh. There are very few sitcoms that can make me laugh like that, but Doug Heffernan always could.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Didn't know this was on Netflix. Gotta find it, stat! A show that I think still plays well is SOAP. It started out campy and goofy, so the fact that it is still campy and goofy plays well. Arrested Development has aged well, too. Can't wait for the new season on Netflix.

Hoagie78 Guest
    All shows will become dated at some point. Fashions alone make that happen. They said that Carl Reiner tried not use pop culture references etc... on The Dick Van Dyke show to keep it fresh for generations to come, but in truth it has become dated. The clothes, the style of enetertainment (formal dinner parties with singing), the helmet hairstyles, the mid century ranch house etc......

I kind of wonder where style and culture will be in 20 years. If you look back, in the 70's there was a backlash against the formality and clean cut style of the early-mid 60's with the hippie rebellion and gaudy colors and styles. Then in the 80's things kind of reverted to the early 60's preppy style/ivy league with high fashion shows like Dynasty, The Reagans in the white house etc..... then grunge/hip hop/rap took over in the mid 90's, now were kind of still stuck in that style with hipsters and people with tats and piercings that has lasted for the last 15 years.

I thought of another show (or series of shows) that have run their course, despite the fact that I still watch and still enjoy them, it's getting to a point where if I miss a show I don't get too upset and that is CSI and CSI NY. I still enjoy them but I see a repetatition in the cases and themes. But I still enjoy the shows, but when the end comes I won't be devastated.

pwem Guest
    I just got the latest season of Law and Order: SVU on DVD and I am done with it.

It has gone on for far too long and is soooo predictable it hurts. I thought things might improve without that sack of testosterone, Elliot Stabler, around but nope! Their squad room looks like a huge upscale restaurant and the grittiness and good original writing is gone, gone, gone.

It needs to be put to pasture like it's siblings.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pwem View Post
    I just got the latest season of Law and Order: SVU on DVD and I am done with it.

It has gone on for far too long and is soooo predictable it hurts. I thought things might improve without that sack of testosterone, Elliot Stabler, around but nope! Their squad room looks like a huge upscale restaurant and the grittiness and good original writing is gone, gone, gone.

It needs to be put to pasture like it's siblings.
    I agree. The original law & Order is still the best. Love Sam Waterston!

pwem Guest
    I am a Michael Moriarity girl myself but Waterson is a fabulous actor.

pinkrose35 Guest
    Law and Order was never the same for me without Lenny Briscow.

I was thinking today about another show that hasn't aged very well over the years....WKRP in Cincinatti, well actually any show about radio that was done over the years is pretty much dated now. So many radio stations outside of big market talk/sports radio is run on auto-pilot now with very few staff, at least at the station itself anyway. DJs are usually pipped in from other cities ( usually pre-recorded) , sales folks a good many now do their work from either home or in the car. News? That can be done at home now too thanks to the internet. Dittos Logs & Commercials ( Bailey Quarters )...that can be done at home too just email the audio, heck even the role of program director for many stations that position is now done by out of town consultants such as Dial-Global out of Denver, Colorado for example. General Manager? All he/she has to do now is come in for an hour or so, answer emails and make sure the computer with all the programming is working.
    Last edited by choff; 10-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Yep, have to agree about WKRP. Another one is Moonlighting. It was my favorite show when it was on...back in the 80's...but I Netflixed a season of it, and couldn't make it through even one episode. Too painful
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Death Comes, Ripping Guest
    Any show still using landline phone technology.

Taggerez Guest
    I've got a couple of those retro-TV chanels on my cable so I began watching some of the real oldies: The Fugative (which was the first TV show I remember the whole family getting into), Route 66, Naked City, Moving On. They are all products of a different time and the shows themselves didn't even reflect the reality of their own time. None of them hold up well at all, but each one of them has a certain entertainment value. Route 66 was filmed on location in small towns and cities that I have been to. They showed an episode shot in Kilkenny, Texas in 1962. I'll bet that was the biggest damn thing ever to happen to Kilkenny (Burt Reynolds, Cloris Leachman and Tuesday Weld were in it).

I am in love with Dragnet but when they did drug shows it's funny as Hell watching Jack Webb using his "hip" drug talk and going into a house where there was an acid party and watching the guy suck on his paint brush. I think that was the Blueboy episode but don't quote me on that.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Vandalay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    I am in love with Dragnet but when they did drug shows it's funny as Hell watching Jack Webb using his "hip" drug talk and going into a house where there was an acid party and watching the guy suck on his paint brush. I think that was the Blueboy episode but don't quote me on that.
    Dragnet has to be the heavyweight champ when it comes kitschy-ness from it's treatment of the 60's counterculture, to Jack Webb's Nixon-era political speeches, to it's cheap production values..(lines weren't memorized, they were READ off of teleprompters)...it's a train-wreck I've just gotta watch...

Speaking of dated references, one of the most dated and obscure was when I was watching the 3 stooges, and someone mentioned working for the census,..a confused Curly replied "Oh you mean we're working for that Hayes guy?"

Hoagie78 Guest
    Hazel.....has not aged well. Middle class suburban families with live in maids.

Taggerez Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    Yeah, that was the Blueboy episode, the first of the new Dragnet (1967-1970) series.

Dragnet spawned Adam 12 and that is a show that does not hold up well at all. As an ex-police reporter and a fan of Cops I watch police procedure closely and the old Adam 12 breaks all the rules they use now. Dragnet was and is Kabuki theater; an elaborate stylizing of reality. Many of the episodes were mishmashes of actual crimes. One episode recyled the Black Dahlia, Flaminga Lizaldi and Herbert Halprin cases all in one.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Can I pick a movie instead of a television show?

How about "Wall Street"? The computers with the black screens and orange print and Gordon Gekko's ginormous cell phone were very distracting when I tried to watch it again a couple of weeks ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    Can I pick a movie instead of a television show?

How about "Wall Street"? The computers with the black screens and orange print and Gordon Gekko's ginormous cell phone were very distracting when I tried to watch it again a couple of weeks ago!
    As funny as it was ( and still is ) the movie "9 to 5" is very dated now.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Pretty much any cheezy 80's family sitcom. Full House is the worst offender (not that I watched it that much back in the day). The kids on that show were the worst scenery-chewing offenders! Anything with cheezy dialogue, a horrendous laugh track and 'cute' kids... Ugh!

Someone up thread said that MASH seems dated, but I still find it hilarious, especially the earlier episodes with Henry Blake. I still love Friends, even though I've seen each episode so many times that I practically have it memorized.

I'm a fan of smart, witty banter-ish dialogue, so shows like Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother are still great.

Hazel.....has not aged well. Middle class suburban families with live in maids.

OMG

I forgot all about Hazel...........

Billy Weathersby Guest
    I used to be a huge fan of Mary Tyler Moore Show and the Bob Newhart Show...Now, all the characters seem ridiculous...Of course, the times are changing...I still watch Newhart just for "Hi - my name is Larry, this is my brother Daryl and this is my other brother Daryl".

Mammy Guest
    I used to love Newhart, Coach, Night Court, and Murphy Brown. I haven't tried watching any of them for years, but I doubt if I could get through an entire episode of any of them.

Funny how there are so many different opinions on shows that were popular in their day. I have to say that I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show (B&W only!) still hold up well. Still enjoy Friends and Seinfeld, loved MASH until McLean Stevenson left. Love me some Cheers, although it doesn't seem as funny as when it was popular, still like Frasier too. Too Close For Comfort was surprisingly funny for me, because I never cared for Ted Knight until this show. I always thought The Partridge Family was more believable than The Brady Bunch, and Gilligan's Island still seems timeless.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I love MASH and can still watch it with no problem and I've seen every episode a hundred times. I can't get through an episode of Happy Days anymore. It's so ridiculous. Fonzie was so cool back then and now to me he's just an idiot. I love Henry Winkler though. He's funny in Here Comes the Boom.
    I tried to watch Laverne and Shirley recently and same thing. Shirley got on my nerves a lot more than I remember.
    I can't get through an episode of the Brady Bunch either. If Carol didn't work, why did she need a housekeeper?
    I hated Full House when it was on and I still can't watch it.
    I was never a Gillian's Island fan and it's still just as stupid.
    I liked Three's Company back in the day but now all I can think of is, why is it Mr. Roper's business whether or not Jack is gay or straight and living with 2 girls? I mean even back then, did he really have a say about that? The whole premise was really stupid.
    Soap is still funny as hell to me. I also still like WKRP even though technologically it's way out of date.

I thought Gilligan's Island was funny when I was a kid, now I think it is so incredibly stupid.

I thought The Lawnmower Man was one of the best movies I ever saw, however I don't think it has held up well, and seems small fart to me now.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I love MASH and can still watch it with no problem and I've seen every episode a hundred times. I can't get through an episode of Happy Days anymore. It's so ridiculous. Fonzie was so cool back then and now to me he's just an idiot. I love Henry Winkler though. He's funny in Here Comes the Boom.
    I tried to watch Laverne and Shirley recently and same thing. Shirley got on my nerves a lot more than I remember.
    I can't get through an episode of the Brady Bunch either. If Carol didn't work, why did she need a housekeeper?
    I hated Full House when it was on and I still can't watch it.
    I was never a Gillian's Island fan and it's still just as stupid.
    I liked Three's Company back in the day but now all I can think of is, why is it Mr. Roper's business whether or not Jack is gay or straight and living with 2 girls? I mean even back then, did he really have a say about that? The whole premise was really stupid.
    Soap is still funny as hell to me. I also still like WKRP even though technologically it's way out of date.
    MASH is still my favorite show, even the latter episodes when Alan Alda made it political and less funny, still loved the show. Actually it was the characters I loved, like Charles, Colonel Potter, Klinger. To me they were the stars of the show even though many episodes, after Alda took over, were all about his character and made himself the star of MASH.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    MASH is still my favorite show, even the latter episodes when Alan Alda made it political and less funny, still loved the show. Actually it was the characters I loved, like Charles, Colonel Potter, Klinger. To me they were the stars of the show even though many episodes, after Alda took over, were all about his character and made himself the star of MASH.
    I agree with you. The latter episodes aren't nearly as funny but I still watch them. It's one of those shows I grew up with. My family would stop everything to watch MASH. So maybe I like it for nostalgic reasons but I do still find it funny and will watch it if I happen to run across it while flipping channels. I've always liked Alan Alda but he did make himself the star of MASH in the latter seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    My guess is that back in the 70's and 80's there were a good many of landlords who would not rent out to gay men or even guys who they think may be gay and back then the practice was legal !!! Hard to believe now with gay marriage and/or civil unions being legal is many places and laws banning discrimation against gays on the books in even more places but back in the late 80's my then boyfriend and myself had a very tough time finding an apartment because we were gay. Same ol same ol "..sorry but renting to you would go against my faith" ".."since you two are gay...I guess you are into kiddie boy sex as well..get the hell OUT OF HERE !!'. This was in Maryland and today we have gay marriage...times have changed..well at least here they have anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    My guess is that back in the 70's and 80's there were a good many of landlords who would not rent out to gay men or even guys who they think may be gay and back then the practice was legal !!! Hard to believe now with gay marriage and/or civil unions being legal is many places and laws banning discrimation against gays on the books in even more places but back in the late 80's my then boyfriend and myself had a very tough time finding an apartment because we were gay. Same ol same ol "..sorry but renting to you would go against my faith" ".."since you two are gay...I guess you are into kiddie boy sex as well..get the hell OUT OF HERE !!'. This was in Maryland and today we have gay marriage...times have changed..well at least here they have anyway.
    Threes Company took place in Santa Monica in the 1970s. I agree the premise was stupid.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Threes Company took place in Santa Monica in the 1970s. I agree the premise was stupid.
    Hard to believe Three's Company or Welcome Back Kotter ever became popular, it is mind-numbingly stupid today. Even though I didn't care for MASH in the later years, at least it was believable acting and writing. Happy Days is another show that actually started out good, but once they made it about Fonzie, it went to industrial-strength stupid as well.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I loved the movie MASH but never could get into the television show. I can watch Dragnet all day. Drives people nuts that I can do the same with C.H.I.P.S. I may be one of the few people that admits they like that show.

I love Bob Newharts dry comedy and will still watch The Bob Newhart show but I will admit that I can't get into Newhart except for as noted above, when George is in the episode.

I can still watch the early Happy Days but can not stand the Chachi episode's. There are a handful of Seinfield episodes I can watch. Many I don't really get into now. I love the Deloris episode.

It's odd but I can often times get into reruns but I'm not interested in the new episodes. CSI Miami is an example. I never watched it originally. When they started playing old episodes during the day I would watch them and then tried to watch the newer episodes. All I could ask was why did Emily Proctor screw up her face?

I like the old How I Met Your Mother but can't get into the new episodes. I never watched the old episodes when they were on originally either though.

I can watch Twilight Zone all day. I got my 11 year old daughter into it. One day she asks me "What is this show supposed to be about"?

Bunratty Guest
    Maud -the language and contrived 70s "relevance" is so "right on"

Monty Python -when I was a teenager it seemed so fresh and groundbreaking but now it looks hit-and-miss skits by guys who think they are smarter than anyone else

CHIPS, Love Boat and other 70s hits are full of corny situations and crap acting

Not a TV show but just watched the music video of Marky Mark's "Good Vibrations" on youtube and omg.

Look at me! No shirt! I can box! I lift weights! Etc, etc...

Guess I was easy to please back in the day. LOL

Bunratty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Hard to believe Three's Company or Welcome Back Kotter ever became popular, it is mind-numbingly stupid today. Even though I didn't care for MASH in the later years, at least it was believable acting and writing. Happy Days is another show that actually started out good, but once they made it about Fonzie, it went to industrial-strength stupid as well.
    Agree that when HD became "The Fonzie Show" it went downhill - way before the shark episode

When it started it was a good little show about what the 50s was thought to have been like

Mammy Guest
    I loved "Gilligan's Island" when I was a kid. I can't imagine trying to sit through it now.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I was thinking today about another show that hasn't aged very well over the years....WKRP in Cincinatti, well actually any show about radio that was done over the years is pretty much dated now. So many radio stations outside of big market talk/sports radio is run on auto-pilot now with very few staff, at least at the station itself anyway. DJs are usually pipped in from other cities ( usually pre-recorded) , sales folks a good many now do their work from either home or in the car. News? That can be done at home now too thanks to the internet. Dittos Logs & Commercials ( Bailey Quarters )...that can be done at home too just email the audio, heck even the role of program director for many stations that position is now done by out of town consultants such as Dial-Global out of Denver, Colorado for example. General Manager? All he/she has to do now is come in for an hour or so, answer emails and make sure the computer with all the programming is working.
    When I graduated high school in '86 I seriously wanted to get into radio and this local newscaster worked part time at the hospital my mom worked at and he told me DJ's were a dime a dozen, don't bother; the only way to make any money in radio was to get my masters and become a program director or station manager. He said he couldn't even make a living on what he was making and that's why he worked part time at the hospital. Well we've seen the way radio has gone but I wish I'd persued it because of podcasting and voiceovers. I'd love to do voiceovers for video games. I'd also love to work on a podcast not that i'd make a huge amount of money but I'd have been doing something I love. My stupidity for not going for what I wanted.

Ray Romano gets on my nerves. His character on that show was just a stupid moron and helped start the dumb husbands/all men are dumb trend on TV. Tim Allen is also in that group.

Today when they do a sitcom, the husband is dumb, only talks about sex, sports and food, the wife is a total raging " B" and the kids are smart know it alls that tell their parents off and make fun of them.
    I despise that stereotype. The man is always dumb and whipped and the wife is a raging bitch that rules the husband. I hate that with a passion. Not all men and women are like that. Tv has got everyone believing that's the way a partnership is supposed to be. Not mine.

Pat Bateman Guest
    I watched some reruns of Bewitched recently and was surprised at how well it still holds up. Funny scripts, good acting and Elizabeth Montgomery was gorgeous.

Bayou Queen Guest
    I saw an old episode of Twilight Zone recently and even though I knew how it would end, I still enjoyed watching it. I think Rod Serling and Alfred Hitchcock are two television writers that are timeless.

As popular as The Beverly Hillbillies show was when I was a kid, I don't think I could sit through it now, the novelty of the cee-ment pond and eating all sorts of critters plus the stupidity of Jethro wore off after awhile, I think it would grate on my last nerve if I had to watch just one show now.

pinkrose35 Guest
    I watched an episode of Gunsmoke the other day on TV Land, haven't watched that show in years. I sat and wondered how Festus was such a popular character, he got on my last nerve with the way he talked and out right stupidity. Love Miss Kitty though, and realized wow Miss Kitty is a madam...lol. My grandfather loved that show and wouldn't miss an episode.

Wendy A. Guest
    Oh my... Leave it to Beaver hasn't stood the test of time and it's a shame.

JacksTiger Guest
    The original Hawaii 5-0 was dated when it first aired.

Wendy A. Guest
    I think Mary Tyler Moore has stood the test of time. Not long ago I was watching it religiously and some of the things they covered blew me away.

Bonanza has not held up well. A middle aged man with three middle aged sons. Episodes about being homicidal about people trespassing on you land that you stole from the Indians. Those interior sets made to look like the outdoors may have come off on those old TV's with less resolution, but today on the flat screen they are a joke. Everybody on Bonanza is dead now, even ol' Hop Sing.

Hop Sing was so popular that McHale's Navy had an English challenged Asian servant. Tim Conway is so unfunny in this. He thinks he is funny by just moving his body weird.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

One show that I think has held up pretty well is "Frasier". The humor is still funny and Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce were a classic comedy team.

radiojane Guest
    I'm a lot younger than the majority of the board so I still love those old shows - mostly because I didn't live through them the first time.

Seinfeld though - seriously are we not done with this yet? What the hell was so epic about it? Those were three of the whiniest actors on television ever.

It's interesting how LITTLE television has changed though. I've seen every single solitary episode of "Friends" and I've watched enough "How I met your Mother" to know that it's EXACTLY THE SAME SHOW.

Vandalay Guest
    Apparently, "The Office" is not holding up well...I've noticed that TBS has removed it from it's schedule, and one of the local stations moved it from 10pm, to 12:30am...