Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shows that haven't stood the test of time.

90210, Simpsons, ER with the original cast, and Will and Grace will never get old for me

2. 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I LOVE Friends!! I have all the DVDs and actually watched one last night. The only fake part is that the guy who plays Ross is not in the same league as the other friends in the looks department and someone who looks like Jennifer Aniston wouldn't be caught dead with someone who looks like him in real life, so the episodes where they're in love and kissing are dumb and you can tell Aniston is having to lay on the acting in those scenes. The last one where her arm is resting on his shoulder when they're saying goodbye to the apartment is especially barf-worthy. Ross was funny, but not good looking enough imo to have been on the show.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I could watch Will & Grace all day.....The Golden Girls never gets old for me........I cannot dig on Mork & Windy anymore....yeah, I meant to say Windy.......Sci-Fi had a marathon and I didn`t make it through 2 shows......blehhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by SusanCarole View Post
    Oh My Gosh!!!! Did you say thirtysomething? I LOVED that show and I watched every episode they made. I would openly cry when the sad things happened. I would like to get the whole series on DVD. I will have to look up that one and see if I can find it. Can you drop by and watch it with me? I will make the popcorn.
    I think she was saying 30Something has not stood the test of time as per the thread title not that she liked it. Or he.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

My Two Dads. Good God. I kept waiting for someone to say, "So....... the dead mother had sex with both of these dorks within the same amount of time and isn't sure which one fathered her child? Oh, okay.... " I also kept waiting for entire football teams and skanky rock bands to show up and claim they were the father.

Any of those spectacularly glamorous shows like Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty or Knots Landing.

Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    My Two Dads. Good God. I kept waiting for someone to say, "So....... the dead mother had sex with both of these dorks within the same amount of time and isn't sure which one fathered her child? Oh, okay.... " I also kept waiting for entire football teams and skanky rock bands to show up and claim they were the father.

Any of those spectacularly glamorous shows like Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty or Knots Landing.
    When that show came out I thought it was about a gay couple raising a daughter. I was dissappointed when I found out what the actual premise was. I was happy again as soon as I realized Paul Reiser was one of the dads. Gross. Imagine sexy Greg Evigan going down on that nasty Paul Reiser, rubbing his bitter greasy foreskin across his lips and grimacing for the camera.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    When that show came out I thought it was about a gay couple raising a daughter. I was dissappointed when I found out what the actual premise was. I was happy again as soon as I realized Paul Reiser was one of the dads. Gross. Imagine sexy Greg Evigan going down on that nasty Paul Reiser, rubbing his bitter greasy foreskin across his lips and grimacing for the camera.
    I may be moist

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

That is the most beautifully erotic thought I have read in a long time. I hear moist.

deathybrad Guest
    Becker. What a stupid show. Butters was right.

Yes I think the show Murphy Brown because they talk
    a lot about politics in the 1980s-early 1990s that now
    seem out of date even for tv reruns.

Nelliebean Guest
    I was feeling masochistic the other day and watched about ten minutes of "Full House".

Was this show really popular at one time? Egads!!

STORMIE Guest
    I still like Friends and can watch it in reruns and still enjoy it. I also still enjoy Seinfeld, Golden Girls and I could watch Roseanne over and over as long as it is an episode BEFORE they won the lottery. After that it went to shit.

Most other sitcom just dont stand up after ten or twenty years.

Mammy Guest
    Showing my age here, but the shows I really loved as a kid that I could never sit through now are Gilligan's Island, Dukes of Hazzard, Different Strokes, The Facts of Life, and I Love Lucy. I still like Roseanne and Golden Girls. Also think Three's Company really sucks, mainly because I can't stomach Suzanne Sommers. It is amazing how much a person's tastes change as they get older.

Gilligan's Island will always be my fav. Also All in the Family. The Brady Bunch doesn't sit well with me anymore. Still love the Partridge Family... go figure.

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Back in the day, I thought SCTV was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. Much to my disappointment, most of it didn't hold up well for me at all. The Great White North was still funny, but a lot of the show was meh.

My kids are watching the complete run of the A-Team right now. My daughter also owns the full run of Full House. Not great, but not as demonic as people play it to be.

My kids were totally into Gilmore Girls for a while. It's actually held up pretty well for a series of that genre.

Although not an old show, CSI is boring to me, yet for the first few years it was my favorite show. Not sure if all the cool forensics became less exciting, the plot got too melodramatic, it's crappy without William Peterson or that it is just plain sad watching Marg Helgenberger age not-so-gracefully. The other CSI shows are equally unappealing to me as well.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

most uk comedies.... birds of a feather, keeping up appearances. as time goes by, dinner ladies, my family, ...

not sure if i liked them in the first place!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    My kids were totally into Gilmore Girls for a while. It's actually held up pretty well for a series of that genre.

Although not an old show, CSI is boring to me, yet for the first few years it was my favorite show. Not sure if all the cool forensics became less exciting, the plot got too melodramatic, it's crappy without William Peterson or that it is just plain sad watching Marg Helgenberger age not-so-gracefully. The other CSI shows are equally unappealing to me as well.
    Same here.

I think for me CSI's downhill slide started with Warrick's laughable sex scene. Then replacing Grisolm with even more predictable characters, plots and lines made it officially not worth watching anymore.

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by siameseman View Post
    For me I think there is only one show that sticks out in my mind as totally not standing the test of time and that is the "Partridge family". The whole show is just too much for me.

And of course that is my fave of all time--to each its own!!!

I can't stand "Roseanne"--so "we are sooooooooooo white trash!!" And "I Love Lucy"--such of its time, Ricky being such a dictator!!!

I tried several times to watch "Friends" and "Seinfeld"

Christ what crap!

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I never got into Seinfeld at all. And I can't watch Friends anymore. No more Gilligan's Island either, although I caught a few reruns of Bewitched a few weeks ago and remembered why I loved that show. Especially Uncle Arthur.

You know, in being a Jon-Erik Hexum fan, his show Voyagers has aged well, RTN runs it ever Saturday night and it still holds up.

However, his show Cover Up stinks. I remember loving it in the 80s, and I have his episodes on DVD now, I still love his character. But the plot, dear God. Who writes that crap? I have a hell of a time following it now.

A lot of those cop shows in the 80s are such a disappointment now.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    It's funny, I used to watch most of the programs mentioned up to this point in this thread but sometime around 1999 I'm guessing, I quit watching episodic television all together...wasn't a conscious decision, it just sort of happened...I will occasionally watch reruns of Law & Order: Criminal Intent or SVU on USA and once in a while will watch something on Discovery or the History Channel but except for sports and movies, the internet has replaced television as my main source of news and entertainment
    Must have been something in the airwaves I gave it up in 1991 and never missed it despite having never seen an episode of Friends or Sienfeld when folks treat me like a freak for that I point out I also completely missed out on reality TV and American Idol so I consider myself fortunate. Also not a conscious decision I just got bored with what was on the air.

I ran into an episode of Welcome Back Kotter recently...stupid, stupid, stupid show!!! Back in jr. high/highschool I loved the show and thought it was so funny. It's painful to watch now.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

doyleloyal Guest
    the very thought of watching FULL HOUSE makes me have a bill and ted moment where i'll descend to the underworld,open a door and that will be my personal hell for all eternity.

family matters, saved by the bell, seinfield, friends, little house...they're just awful. why people think they're awesome i have no idea

i really believe most of the shows from the 70's and early 80's should really just be forgotten about. they just didn't have the horribly colored brilliance of bewitched, or i dream of jeannie which both shows are just fantastic.

my secret tv love affair is bonanza. I just can't quit it!!!

best show ever: golden girls

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Gilligan's Island will always be my fav.
    As long as there are kids, Gilligan will be on. They took real people and made them into cartoon characters.

Patty Duke reruns are pretty awful She was my role model when I was about 10!

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle8461 View Post
    I ran into an episode of Welcome Back Kotter recently...stupid, stupid, stupid show!!! Back in jr. high/highschool I loved the show and thought it was so funny. It's painful to watch now.
    How true!

On a different tack (as I do), Fame, I believe has stood up very well. The show was always crap, but you just felt so dang good watching it. It's truly a TV show that just plain makes you feel good inside!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

STsFirstmate Guest
    My Admin's 6 year old son is totally hooked on old Andy Griffith reruns. He wanted to be Barney Fife for holloween and nothing else would do. She managed to pull something together for him. We forget it is all new for the kids.
    The really old ones with Don Knotts were the best ones and they are still funny.
    Regards,
    Mary

blackraven Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    most uk comedies.... birds of a feather, keeping up appearances. as time goes by, dinner ladies, my family, ...

not sure if i liked them in the first place!!!!
    It may be because I'm not a Brit, but I love the comedies: Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Blackadder, Monty Python and many others...but the prison drama Bad Girls, god I was happy when LOGO TV started playing this show after BBC America dropped it after Season 3! Hopefully when Alan Ball 'Americanizes' the show on HBO he won't ruin it for me, if it ever happens that is!

I agree most of the shows from the 70's & 80's have not aged gracefully, and are just not funny or dramatic at all! 'Cept ALF, love me some ALF!

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    On a different tack (as I do), Fame, I believe has stood up very well. The show was always crap, but you just felt so dang good watching it. It's truly a TV show that just plain makes you feel good inside!

YES! That show makes me wanna dance around in a leotard and leg warmers!!

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Also IMO 'Twin Peaks' has held up over the years. LOVE that show---I go to the Twin Peaks Festival in North Bend, WA and have a blast with other fans nearly every year.

orionova Guest
    My son has become a big fan of the Andy Griffith Show, and I've introduced him to the Addams Family, as well. They have stood up to the test of time. Shows like 'Small Wonder' (remember that?), not so much!

Mammy Guest
    I love the Addams Family and the Munsters both. Herman Munster was a funny, lovable character. Both shows were just good, clean family fun!

Vandalay Guest

TV shows that haven't aged well..

I remember a couple of years ago I was really pumped about WGN running re-runs of "Newhart"..when I watched them, they just didn't seem to be as funny as I remembered...I kinda feel the same way about "Night Court"..what other shows haven't aged well??

Full House! Still hate that pampered little bitch Michelle.

harlequin_clown Guest
    Everybody Loves Raymond. Peter Boyle was the ONLY thing funny in it! I thought Patricia Heaton's character was extremely abusive towards her hubby, and Robert constantly whining about how Raymond was the favorite made him look like an overgrown 2 year old. Not funny then, not funny now!

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Full House! Still hate that pampered little bitch Michelle.
    I have to say Full House as well. Not only Michelle, but Robert Sagat (?) also gets on my nerves.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Nelliebean Guest
    Seinfeld hasn't aged well at all.

*Rowan & Martin's Laugh In...when Dan Rowan does the news of the "future"..future as in 1988 and considering 1988 was 24 years years ago...its dated.

*Real People...have a few shows on tape. It hasn't aged well at all. The "interesting" people Sarah Purcell, Skip Stevenson, John Barbour and Bryon Allen had interviewed back in the day, today they don't seem interesting at all actually the "weird" of 1979 is pretty much "normal" in 2012.

*Gimmie A Break...have the show on DVD. Funny back in the day, today not really..at least to me anyway.

*Here's Lucy and the post-Vivian Vance episodes of The Lucy Show, the use of then-big celebrities date it now. When was the last time one had heard in conversation the names of Pat Collins or Dick Shawn?

pwem Guest
    I used to be the biggest fan of Monty Python but last year we saw a couple of old episodes and it was almost embarrassing. I kept thinking "I found this funny?".

I agree about Laugh-In.

Vandalay Guest
    As far as dated references go, the worst offender has to be Murphy Brown..

Ted Challinor Guest
    I disagree about Seinfeld – even as a Limey – the show still makes me laugh....but it's normally the comedies. The BBC made a successful comedy series in the late 1970s called Citizen Smith about a small-time Marxist who lived in Tooting near London. Loved at the time, it ran for 3 or 4 series, and a few years ago one or two episodes were repeated. Man, they were crap!
    Cop drama shows such as Kojak and Starsky & Hutch were once prime time now seem so dated compared to the more hard-core criminals similar series today tackle.

1karenhb Guest
    I agree with Ted about Seinfeld. It is the only old show I watch and still find it funny and relevant today.

Billy Weathersby Guest
    As long as George, the handyman, is on Newhart, I still find it entertaining..The Bob Newhart Show has not aged well.

I loved King of Queens but towards the end of it's run, it was getting less and less funny. Carrie was such a witch to everyone and was jealous of everyone who got anything better than her. The final show for me was when Doug and Carrie's friends saved up for a vacation cabin on some lake and she was so nasty and jealous. That was the direction they took Leah Remini's character and it was becoming more irritating than entertaining.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I loved King of Queens but towards the end of it's run, it was getting less and less funny. Carrie was such a witch to everyone and was jealous of everyone who got anything better than her. The final show for me was when Doug and Carrie's friends saved up for a vacation cabin on some lake and she was so nasty and jealous. That was the direction they took Leah Remini's character and it was becoming more irritating than entertaining.
    I always thought Carrie was mean spirited (read "bitch"). I felt sorry for Doug. Conversely however, I never thought of Debra's character on "Everybody Loves Raymond" as mean. Ray plucked my nerves big time tho. He really was (IMO) an idiot. Everything was either about sex, golf, his mother, or ridiculous one upmanship with Robert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Seinfeld hasn't aged well at all.
    Agree.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Threes Company.

Silly.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    I always thought Carrie was mean spirited (read "bitch"). I felt sorry for Doug. Conversely however, I never thought of Debra's character on "Everybody Loves Raymond" as mean. Ray plucked my nerves big time tho. He really was (IMO) an idiot. Everything was either about sex, golf, his mother, or ridiculous one upmanship with Robert.
    Ray Romano gets on my nerves. His character on that show was just a stupid moron and helped start the dumb husbands/all men are dumb trend on TV. Tim Allen is also in that group.

Today when they do a sitcom, the husband is dumb, only talks about sex, sports and food, the wife is a total raging " B" and the kids are smart know it alls that tell their parents off and make fun of them.