Thread: Mary Philbin

Danny62 Guest

Mary Philbin

Demure, delicate-looking star of 1920s films. She is best remembered as the heroine Christine Daae in the Lon Chaney classic, "The Phantom of the Opera" (1925). Her unmasking of Chaney in that film is still one of the silent screen's unforgettable moments. She appeared in over 30 films, including "Merry-Go-Round" (1923), "Stella Maris" (1925), "The Man Who Laughs" (1927), "Drums of Love" (1928), and "Love Me and the World Is Mine" (1928). Philbin was born in Chicago. At 17 she was brought to Hollywood as the winner of a beauty contest sponsored by Universal Studios, and was named a "WAMPAS Baby Star" in 1922. She retired at the arrival of talkies, though she returned to dub her own voice in a 1930 sound reissue of "The Phantom of the Opera". A melancholy chapter of Philbin's life was recently revealed by historian Scott McQueen. In the late 1920s she was engaged to Universal producer Paul Kohner, but Philbin's parents forced her to break off the relationship because they were Irish Catholics and Kohner was Jewish. They apparently never got over each other. After Kohner's death in 1988, workers cleaning out his office discovered a batch of Philbin's old love letters to him, within easy reach in his desk drawer. Philbin never married. She cared for her parents until their deaths and then lived alone in the Hollywood mansion she had bought for the family during her years of stardom. She died at 89 in a nursing home in Huntington Beach, California. Most of her films are now lost.

I remember that powerful seen of the unmasking when I was young!!! Still scary today in my opinon!!!

July 16. 1903-May 7, 1993

Tebssis Guest
    I love how you come up with these great bio's of familiar yet obscure actors/actresses. You're so right, the unmasking scene is a classic and still scary!

ScottyMonger Guest
    Good One! I had no idea who Mary Philbin was until I read your post.

I wonder if she is related to Regis.?

Jaxxx Guest
    I find this so sad, what parents do to their children, hope they are together in heaven, doesn't matter whether they are catholic or jew.

Rhiannon Guest
    One of my best friends in college is related to Mary Philbin (some kind of distant cousin). The family is still deeply Irish Catholic, and are very proud of Ms. Philbin and her acheivements to this day. As they should be...she was a beautiful woman and not an ungifted actress. All blessings to her for her loving care for her parents, even though they denied her the happiness she might have had on earth.

Guest Guest
    Mary was adorable in 'The Phantom of the Opera' - Chaney's version remains my favourite!

Very beautiful lady... name sounds familiar, but have never heard of her before.. She must have had a great big heart... taking care of her ailing parents though they denied her of her love.. hope she found happiness in the afterlife
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	philbm01.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	11319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maryphilbin7.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	11320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maryphilbin2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	11321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maryphilbin.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	11322  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I never heard of this actress til now... I would love to see pictures of her mansion. Lovely Lady and such a sad story
    RIP Mary I hope she's with her love now

JsJunot Guest
    I didn't know Karl Rove was in Phantom of the Opera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp32907a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	14048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhantomOp.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	14049  

Old Soul Guest
    Any relation to Regis?

MorbidMolly Guest

Philip J Riley wrote The Phantom of the Opera (Hollywood Archives Series) which has various quotes from Mary. Her reaction in the unmasking scene is genuine, Lon kept his facial makeup a secret from all but one or two crew members during filming. All publicity photos had the Phantom's face cut-out per Lon's orders, to make the public wonder even more what the Phantom would look like. He didn't want the Phantom's face used in promos until after the film had been released. Until the unmasking moment Mary had no idea what the Phantom's face was going to look like. Then to get a really scared reaction from her, while she was on the ground Lon loudly criticized her acting skills, telling her they should replace her, etc. Once the scene was filmed Lon explained why he said what he said about her acting, etc. Mary had only the kindest words about Lon, who would verbally coach her during the scenes where he was masked. This coaching provided her with the encouragement she apparently felt she needed.