Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Bonham

Scott Guest

John Bonham

John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham (May 31, 1948 â?? September 25, 1980) Led Zeppelin drummer. Bonham is considered one of the most influential and respected drummers of the modern rock era and continues to be cited as an influence on drummers of varying styles to this day.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham (May 31, 1948 â?? September 25, 1980) Led Zeppelin drummer. Bonham is considered one of the most influential and respected drummers of the modern rock era and continues to be cited as an influence on drummers of varying styles to this day.
    SO true!! And also another tragic death that could have been avoided. My favorite Zep Song "The rain song".

I'm a hard-core Zep fan - and even have the Swan Song logo tattooed on the back of my right hand to prove it! (I did that when I was 19!).

I really respect the band for splitting up when John died. It just wouldn't have been "right" for them to replace him. They were all "one" and without him, the music just wouldn't had sounded right.

Altho they are "reuniting" in London in a couple of months for that tribute party to Ahmed (founder of Atlantic Records) with John's son, Jason on the drums. He's almost as good as his father - so that should be great!

There are also rumors that they MAY go on tour - but that's up to Robert Plant, since he's been known to flake on things like that. Apparently he's content doing his own thing.

I like some of his solo work - the first few albums, but not much more after that. His recent duet album with Alison Krauss - blech. Not one to be added to my collection!

I mostly like him with Zep.

I love most of Zep's stuff - but "Sick Again" is one of my favorites - oh, and Kasmir, and...well, I could go on and on!

Bellfire Guest
    I just have to ask for the sake of trivia. I know they never recovered the money stolen from them but did they ever find out who took it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    I just have to ask for the sake of trivia. I know they never recovered the money stolen from them but did they ever find out who took it?
    No, they never found out. But it was rumored to be an "inside" job - hotel employees possibly. Apparently the band just laughed it off - thought it was hilarious, altho Peter Grant wasn't laughing!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I was fortunate enough to see the Plant/Page tour several years back with Jason on drums at the Pontiac Silverdome. I've been to a lot of concerts but man, that one just Blew. Me. Away. Easily one of the best things I've ever seen and I'm not a die hard Zep fan.

Didn't we have a conversation about Jim Morrison going on here somewhere and why can't I find that?

AaronVail Guest
    Bonham consumed 4 quadruple vodkas (16 shots) for breakfast the morning of the day he died. Apparently he kept drinking throughout the day at the studio while they worked on a new record. I find that incredible. After 3 beers, I am the worst guitar player in the world.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Didn't we have a conversation about Jim Morrison going on here somewhere and why can't I find that?
    Are you looking under the thread "Mr. Mojo Risin'?" It's second from the bottom (at the moment) on the first page.

HTH

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronVail View Post
    Bonham consumed 4 quadruple vodkas (16 shots) for breakfast the morning of the day he died. Apparently he kept drinking throughout the day at the studio while they worked on a new record. I find that incredible. After 3 beers, I am the worst guitar player in the world.
    I read somewhere Bonham drank 54 shots that last day and someone in the band( I think it was Jimmy Page) corrected that figure and said it was more like 154 shots. Unbelievable...?!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    i'm gonna catch so much shit for this...but here goes. I HATE Led Zeppelin. like the Beatles before them, I DON'T see what was so great about them. 20 minute guitar solos with a bow? 15 minute drum solos that were borring as hell? Stairway To Heaven (barf)? the only thing that I found interesting about them was the mud shark story. over hyped, cocky and boring. that's what I think of when I hear the name Zeppelin.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    i'm gonna catch so much shit for this...but here goes. I HATE Led Zeppelin. like the Beatles before them, I DON'T see what was so great about them. 20 minute guitar solos with a bow? 15 minute drum solos that were borring as hell? Stairway To Heaven (barf)? the only thing that I found interesting about them was the mud shark story. over hyped, cocky and boring. that's what I think of when I hear the name Zeppelin.
    Everyone's entitled to like what they like. Led Zeppelin isn't for everyone, but I grew up on them, and what you don't see so "great" about them, me and A LOT of other people do...keep on rockin'!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    fair enough. hell, I like G.G. Allin...a guy known for pooping on stage, eating it and flinging it at the crowd. go figure.

motherogod Guest
    Death Hag Chris: if your avatar wasn't so bitchin' I may have had to hold your comments against you! Just kidding... you have a right to your opinion. But defame the BEATLES? dang. Oh well, cool avatar!!

I really don't think Led Zeppelin should tour again. Plant's voice isn't nowhere near what it would need to be. And as far as the Beatles go I agree, one of the most overrated of all time. The early stuff sounds like Buck Owens rip offs to me, in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 10-09-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I really don't think Led Zeppelin should tour again. Plant's voice isn't nowhere near what it would need to be.
    I have to agree - there's certain Zep songs that he'd sing with the high notes that I don't think he could reach again.

And also Robert HATES "Stairway to Heaven". He's just sick of it and tired of trying to explain the meaning and it's one of the songs he dreads have to sing at these "reunion" things - considering it an "albatross around his neck".

But, we'll see (if it's taped at all) how this show they do in in London with Jason Bonham on the drums does.

Danny62 Guest
    I like the way Death Hag Chris didn't attack anyone personally...he just made an opinon about hating Led Zepplin. Nice post!!!!

I don't agree but nicely put!

Has anyone heard "The rain song" by Led Zepplin? I will take that over "stairway to heaven" Anyday!

Speaking of not being able to sing I bought the Who's Endless wire CD last year and they have a DVD with them in concert...Roger Daltery Should go and hide.

He sounded TERRRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I mean he needs to hang up the microphone.

Roger was great at one time but he voice is long gone!!!!!!

It was funny/sad to watch!!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    Death Hag Chris: if your avatar wasn't so bitchin' I may have had to hold your comments against you! Just kidding... you have a right to your opinion. But defame the BEATLES? dang. Oh well, cool avatar!!
    HAHA!!! it's all good my friend. and sorry, but i'm a Stones fan. I thought the Beatles were too sugar sweet. i'll take Sympathy For The Devil over All You Need Is Love any day of the week.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I like the way Death Hag Chris didn't attack anyone personally...he just made an opinon about hating Led Zepplin. Nice post!!!!

I don't agree but nicely put!
    hey thanks Danny. yeah, I don't see the point in attacking anyone for liking what they like. i'm a music lover myself. I like everything from rock to punk to alternative country to blues to r&b/soul to some hip hop. if it can make you FEEL, then it's done it's job.

"Let's fall in love with music
    The driving force in our living
    The only international language"

Andrew Wood 1990

Danny62 Guest
    hey thanks Danny. yeah, I don't see the point in attacking anyone for liking what they like. i'm a music lover myself. I like everything from rock to punk to alternative country to blues to r&b/soul to some hip hop. if it can make you FEEL, then it's done it's job.

"Let's fall in love with music
    The driving force in our living
    The only international language"

Andrew Wood 1990
    I love the adavar. Just thinking seeing the last seconds of a guy before he blows his brains out!!!

I love the stones!

I grew up in the 70's listening to all the classic rock bands...right now I am on a Frank Sinatra kick. And I used to make fun of the guy growing up!!! LOL

"In the wee small hours"" Great album/CD!!!!

John Bonham used the biggest drumsticks of all the rock drummers. They were nicknamed 'Trees'.

when the levee breaks...

Daphne Guest
    [quote=Danny62;3847]
    Has anyone heard "The rain song" by Led Zepplin? I will take that over "stairway to heaven" Anyday!

Oh yeah, rain song is amazing, my personal favorite has to be Kashmir..

[quote=Daphne;8242]

Oh yeah, rain song is amazing, my personal favorite has to be Kashmir..
    I like about all of them - of course. But my personal favorite is "Sick Again".

Hey to each their own... I'm not a HUGE Zeppelin fan myself but one thing I will say, I feel Jimmy page was the weak link in that band (performance wise). I actually focus on the bass and drums when listening to Zeppelin where as my ears normally focus on the singer and guitarist when I listen to most other bands. I attribute this to not really being a fan of Robert Plants voice and also not really finding Jimmy Pages work very stimulating. John Bonham, however, adds fills to songs you would never imagine or conceive of (I am somewhat of a drummer) so it fascinates me how simple and complex he could be in places you would least expect.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-16-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I really don't think Led Zeppelin should tour again. Plant's voice isn't nowhere near what it would need to be. And as far as the Beatles go I agree, one of the most overrated of all time. The early stuff sounds like Buck Owens rip offs to me, in my humble opinion.
    I think they are more remembered for what they did for Rock N' Roll more so then the music itself, Kind of like Elvis. Of course it would have been another band if the Beatles didn't jump in when they did but you can't knock down their place in History which is why they are constantly mentioned, love em or hate em.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-16-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Speaking of not being able to sing I bought the Who's Endless wire CD last year and they have a DVD with them in concert...Roger Daltery Should go and hide.

He sounded TERRRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I mean he needs to hang up the microphone.

Roger was great at one time but he voice is long gone!!!!!!

It was funny/sad to watch!!!
    Speaking of Roger Daltery and bad singing, he did the song "I Want It All" at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992. Now I give the guy full props for even attempting a Queen song (A for Effort) but to me the performance sounded like bad karaoke.

magblax Guest
    Some people have said that Page put a curse on the band with his dabbling in Black Magic. On the night Bonham died there are reports that Page was speaking in some weird language. I also read there was supposed to be a Led Zepplin "Black Album" which was said to contain death chants. I think that regardless of the whole dabbling in Black Magic...if you drink 40 shots of vodka in a short period of time you will pretty much end up dead and covered in vomit.

P.S. Favorite song: Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
    Actually it is hard to pick a favortie Zepplin Song

I tend to think that is why Robert doesn't want much to do with the band anymore - too much shit happened while they were together - from John's death, his son's death, car accidents, and other tragedies and other weird shit. I think he's just trying to distance himself from that bad "karma".

Guest Guest
    Jason is good, but Jason is not his dad. In fact he's in a different area code compared to his dad. John Bonham was, is, and will always be the greatest rock drummer ever. That's why I cry "BS" on the reunion show....its no reunion. For you drummers out there you know this is the gospel....

Quote Originally Posted by biguncfan View Post
    Jason is good, but Jason is not his dad. In fact he's in a different area code compared to his dad. John Bonham was, is, and will always be the greatest rock drummer ever. That's why I cry "BS" on the reunion show....its no reunion. For you drummers out there you know this is the gospel....
    I hear you on that, but apparently the rest of the guys are pretty confident in Jason to have him there.

I'd rather see Jason there, then Phil Collins...(remember he drummed for them at the Live Aid show?)

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I tend to think that is why Robert doesn't want much to do with the band anymore - too much shit happened while they were together - from John's death, his son's death, car accidents, and other tragedies and other weird shit. I think he's just trying to distance himself from that bad "karma".

Didn't Jimmy Page once live in Aleister Crowleys house?? I heard that is where all the bad Karma came from??

Didn't Jimmy Page once live in Aleister Crowleys house?? I heard that is where all the bad Karma came from??
    Yes, he owned his house and a lot of his stuff too.
    And his house was haunted and had a lot of weird stuff going on.

dailyvault Guest
    Gonna chime in here for a second...

I can understand the logic behind Led Zeppelin getting back together to remember Ahmet Ehertgun (sp?) - seems like the most selfless reason for a band to reunite after so long apart (much like Pink Floyd putting aside differences with Roger Waters for Live 8).

That said, I honestly hope they don't stretch this out into a full-length tour. I love Zeppelin, and think a lot of their music sounds as fresh today as it did way back when, but to tour now, 27 years after the band broke up, would IMHO damage a lot of the memories people have of this band.

If ya like the Zep, read Hammer Of The Gods. Makes ya want to be a rock star.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biguncfan View Post
    John Bonham was magnificent. There has not been a drummer since that has moved me the way Bonzo did with his drumming. I popped Physical Graffiti in my car CD player the other day and am still absolutely amazed by his abilities. You're absolutely right, Jason is good, but he is definitely not his father.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yes, he owned his house and a lot of his stuff too.
    And his house was haunted and had a lot of weird stuff going on.
    I knew Jimmy Page had purchased Aleister Crowley's house, but hadn't heard about it being haunted. Wow. I just love to hear about haunted shit, hehe

Kugmu Guest
    This John Bonham thread has reminded me of how much 1980 into '81 sucked - musically at least.

Bon Scott died 19 Feb '80
    John Bonham went 25 Sept '80
    John Lennon killed 08 Dec '80
    Bod Marley passed 11 May '81

Seems the music died on lots of days back then

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    This John Bonham thread has reminded me of how much 1980 into '81 sucked - musically at least.

Bon Scott died 19 Feb '80
    John Bonham went 25 Sept '80
    John Lennon killed 08 Dec '80
    Bod Marley passed 11 May '81

Seems the music died on lots of days back then
    Boy, ain't that the truth. I know this is a John Bonham thread, but I just gotta throw in that I was lucky enough to see Bon before he left us. What a splendid show!

Custom Hearse Guest
    I have to say that the only Zeppelin song I didn't like, was Hats off to Harper. Everything else ROCKED! I would've loved to see Zeppelin in concert.... I would've been deaf for a few weeks, but it would've been a great experience!

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom Hearse View Post
    I have to say that the only Zeppelin song I didn't like, was Hats off to Harper. Everything else ROCKED! I would've loved to see Zeppelin in concert.... I would've been deaf for a few weeks, but it would've been a great experience!
    I never liked that one either, and I am a Zeppelin freak. In fact, I think that is the ONLY song I don't like as well. I never had the privilege of seeing them either, however, my dad did take me to get tickets once back in 1977. The line went all the way around the arena and alot of people had spent the night there (in the freezing cold). My dad took one look at the line and said there was no way he was waiting in that. Back in the 1990's I got the opportunity to see Plant/Page together, and have seen Robert Plant half a dozen times over the years, the last time being in 2005. He has really mellowed out, but I still enjoyed the concert.

Yeah, I wish I got to see them live too, and envy all those who did. I too went and saw Robert Plant in concert a few times - all in the 80's. I went to his first solo show when he put out his "Principle of Moments" album in 83. The ticket only cost $25!

I also saw Jimmy Page when he performed with The Firm back in 84. That was a good show. Jimmy got his solo - complete with green laser lights!

Custom Hearse Guest
    Well.... Now I'm envious of both of you. Well, maybe someday soon.

Kathyf Guest
    I never knew a lot of this .Thanks

Custom Hearse Guest
    Here's something of interest to Led Zeppelin fans....

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/led...8/introduction

I know I'll be waiting in line for a copy of both!!!!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I saw Led Zep in July 1977 in Oakland, my very first Day On The Green. Opening acts were Judas Priest and Derringer. I actually thought Derringer stole the show.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer Jammer View Post
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I saw Led Zep in July 1977 in Oakland, my very first Day On The Green. Opening acts were Judas Priest and Derringer. I actually thought Derringer stole the show.
    Wow, I am totally green with envy! LOL I'm sorry to hear that you thought Derringer was better than Zeppelin, that really surprises me. I saw Judas Priest back in 1978 or 79. They were the opener for Rush. I thought they were much better than Rush. Rob Halford is amazing.

steve51704 Guest
    I just found some really cool MP3 outtakes of John Bonham in the studio during the recording of In Through The Out Door.

steve51704 Guest

Thumbs up John Bonham Rocks!

He played the fattest, loudest, most intense drum parts!

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve51704 View Post
    I just found some really cool MP3 outtakes of John Bonham in the studio during the recording of In Through The Out Door.
    Will you share the link where you found them? Pretty Please?

letty1970 Guest
    Me to,I love The Stones. I hate the way you are kinda made to feel you should like the beatles,especially if you are british like me.BTW if you are a stones fan you should read "I was keith Richards drug dealer" by Tony Sanchez. Shocking how much drugs there were around. How they arnt dead i dont know!!!!!!!!!!!!