Thread: Sterling Holloway

Danny62 Guest

Sterling Holloway

Voice Actor. Best known for the voice of A.A. Milne's "Winnie-The-Pooh", he was a popular American character actor of amusing appearance and voice whose long career led from dozens of highly enjoyable onscreen performances to world-wide familiarity as the voice of numerous Walt Disney animated films. Born in the American Deep South, he spent his early years as an actor playing comic juveniles on the stage. His bushy reddish-blond hair and trademark near-falsetto voice made him a natural for sound pictures, and he acted in scores of talkies, although he had made his picture debut in silents. His physical image and voice relegated him almost exclusively to comic roles, but in 1945, director Lewis Milestone cast him more or less against type in the classic war film "A Walk in the Sun" (1945), where Holloway's portrayal of a reluctant soldier was quite notable. He played frequently on television, becoming familiar to baby-boomers in a recurring role as Uncle Oscar on "Adventures of Superman" (1952), and later in television series of his own. His later work as the voice of numerous characters in Disney cartoons brought him new audiences and many fans, especially for his voicing of beloved Winnie the Pooh. His ashes were scattered at sea per his request

Jan 4, 1905-Nov 22, 1992

Cathy J. Guest
    I actually remember where I was when I had heard this man had died. I was in a local park ( it was a very warm day for November ) listening to Washington DC's WMAL-AM when they announced his death. WMAL also mentioned that Holloway was gay. Don't know where they got that information since this was during the days of pre-internet. I could find nothing online that supports WMAL's findings.

RoRo Guest
    wasn't he also Wrongway Feldman on Gilligan's island?? I think so, I would catch him in lots of old tv shows after I knew who he was

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    wasn't he also Wrongway Feldman on Gilligan's island?? I think so, I would catch him in lots of old tv shows after I knew who he was
    Hans Conried was Wrongway Feldman!!!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Hans Conried was Wrongway Feldman!!!
    correct !!

However Holloway did appear on Gilligan's Island. He played the role of bird man, a man who had pet birds which one of them found their way to the island. The castaways thought they could use one of those birds in a way to get rescued.

I think that was the Last episode of Gilligan's Island, the main tv show that is.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Thank you, Danny. I must try to get "A Walk in the Sun" from Netflix.

Jaynrand Guest
    This guy always got on my last nerve. He was in an episode of "Superman" that I could never watch. Some combination of his voice, looks, and manner just send me right over the edge.

RoRo Guest

YES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    correct !!

However Holloway did appear on Gilligan's Island. He played the role of bird man, a man who had pet birds which one of them found their way to the island. The castaways thought they could use one of those birds in a way to get rescued.

I think that was the Last episode of Gilligan's Island, the main tv show that is.
    Ya know I thought about the birdman episode this morning, I could just picture him with birds, and said to myself you were wrong roro! But sterling is the one I watched for in other shows...thanks ya'll for clearing my little mind up

onehunglow Guest
    He was on the AGS and played a salesman who wouldn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    correct !!

Very true, but the the last ep (filmed) was the hilarious King Killiwani..always wondered why Stanley Adanms committed suicide.

i remember him from the old 'life of riley' series with william bendix.....
    pull the string!

TheMysterian Guest
    I remember him being very busy in the 50's and 60's,he had a very distinctive voice.

Harrietd Guest
    I love Winnie the Pooh, thanks for the thread.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i remember him from the old 'life of riley' series with william bendix.....
    Yeah he was an annoying addition. I didn't mind him when he was Pooh or Ka or any other Disney character, but he drove me up the wall on Riley. Maybe because I preferred the radio cast...

kimba Guest
    I was quite impressed with his role in a Walk In The Sun.
    Yes- I found him somewhat annoying to- until I saw him in the role.
    Fortunately, he had Winnie the Pooh to fall back on, and I'm sure through Pooh, he will live forever.

Rhiannon Guest
    Years and years before he did any Disney voice work or films, he was famous for being the person who sang "I'll Take Manhattan" in the Garrick Gaities show in the (I believe) late 20's or very early 30's. That was the show and the song that made Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers two of the most important songwriters in show business, prior to Rodger's later partnership with Oscar Hammerstein II. Sterling Holloway was an important piece of Broadway History. And my Pooh Bear...

BuelahWitch Guest
    I loved him in the Disney movies. But it would confuse me when, as a little girl, I would see Holloway doing a guest appearance on TV. Still, The Jungle Book had to have the greatest collection of voice actors ever, Sterling Holloway included.

stacebabe Guest
    I just watched a Twilight Zone marathon on new years, and I was surprised to see (actually, hear, him -- it was his voice that alerted me to who he was, Winnie the Pooh, Kaa on the Jungle Book etc... -- He played a TV repairman on this TZ episode.

Quote Originally Posted by DarayLordDarylVorigan View Post
    Voice Actor. Best known for the voice of A.A. Milne's "Winnie-The-Pooh", he was a popular American character actor of amusing appearance and voice whose long career led from dozens of highly enjoyable onscreen performances to world-wide familiarity as the voice of numerous Walt Disney animated films. Born in the American Deep South, he spent his early years as an actor playing comic juveniles on the stage. His bushy reddish-blond hair and trademark near-falsetto voice made him a natural for sound pictures, and he acted in scores of talkies, although he had made his picture debut in silents. His physical image and voice relegated him almost exclusively to comic roles, but in 1945, director Lewis Milestone cast him more or less against type in the classic war film "A Walk in the Sun" (1945), where Holloway's portrayal of a reluctant soldier was quite notable. He played frequently on television, becoming familiar to baby-boomers in a recurring role as Uncle Oscar on "Adventures of Superman" (1952), and later in television series of his own. His later work as the voice of numerous characters in Disney cartoons brought him new audiences and many fans, especially for his voicing of beloved Winnie the Pooh. His ashes were scattered at sea per his request

Jan 4, 1905-Nov 22, 1992

Just saw him in "Remember The Night" with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. He was a brilliant character actor with such a long, accomplished career. A unique and wonderful talent. He was truly one of those actors who was indispensable.
    Last edited by Demgirl; 12-24-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Kati.Lee.Holloway Guest

Exclamation Sterling was not gay

Sterling Holloway was not gay. He was a goofy character but he wasn't gay. He quoted that he didn't marry because he never felt as if he was lacking in anything and didn't want to disrupte his pattern of life. That does not make someone gay if they do not marry. He also kept his private life very private, so there's not much to know about it. Personally, if he was gay, I still would admire him and look up to him as much as I do. He remains my favorite actor and voice actor of all time. Making you gay doesn't make you less of a person anyway. I love the man and I always will. He remains a huge part of my life and probably always will. I loved him in the Gene Autry westerns and Remember the night was a great one.

Bessolo Guest
    Kati, I agree with everything you say. I noticed your last name and am wondering if you're related to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Just saw him in "Remember The Night" with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. He was a brilliant character actor with such a long, accomplished career. A unique and wonderful talent. He was truly one of those actors who was indispensable.
    Demgirl - "Remember The Night" is one of my favorite movies, and even though I know I risk eternal hellfire and damnation, I like it better as a "Christmas" movie than I do "It's a Wonderful Life".

And I love this scene, which illustrates the fact that while Sterling Holloway may have had an odd speaking voice, his singing voice was lovely.

http://youtu.be/eL5VM58_CPw

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Mie Friis Guest

About SterlingĀ“s sexual orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kati.Lee.Holloway View Post
    Sterling Holloway was not gay. He was a goofy character but he wasn't gay. He quoted that he didn't marry because he never felt as if he was lacking in anything and didn't want to disrupte his pattern of life. That does not make someone gay if they do not marry.
    I have heard, but i dont know about thats right, that his adopted son Richard, in fact was his lover. And Sterling and adopted him to secure his beloved could inherit him.

In any case. Sterling lived together with a man in South Laguna, so it seems that he probably was. But when he never told the public, it might be because of he did not seem it towered people. Im personally dont care. I only wish he was happy.

As an animation student, i can really see the qualities Walt Disney saw in Sterling. I would be my biggest dream, if i could animate a character he did the voice for.

And im not embarrassed to admit, that i also think he was a very handsome and charming man. I mean look at that face. He must be the reason for the global warming. For that smile may melt an iceberg. (Sorry. Im a Dane. So if it not is a proverb in US. It just means that he make someone warm inside ;P)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926190112.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	41491

Mie Friis Guest

About SterlingĀ“s sexual orientation.

Sorry. I had posted it twice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1926190112.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	41492  
    Last edited by Mie Friis; 02-22-2012 at 01:57 AM.