Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meredith Hunter's Death

Meredith Hunter's Death

Meredith Hunter was killed Dec 6/69 at the Altamont Music Festival. The Stones were performing at the time. Meredith was waving around a gun and was stabbed and beaten by the Hell's Angels who were providing "security". Just wondering if there is any video of his murder out there ?? I did see some still photos on the net.

hoxharding Guest
    If you rent 'Gimme Shelter' you see footage from the concert. It is a Sones documentary which mainly deals with Altamount.
    It also shows Mick watching the murder on film.

Danny62 Guest
    They caught the guy didn't they?

I know the police were able to get very good video tape of the murder.

I guess the stones offered the Hell Angels something like "all the beer you can drink" to provide security!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    If you rent 'Gimme Shelter' you see footage from the concert. It is a Sones documentary which mainly deals with Altamount.
    It also shows Mick watching the murder on film.

thanks, i just found a clip on the net also. the police closed the case on Hunter's death in 2005. You have to wonder if Hunter's death was racially motivated - he was there with a white girl and the Angels are not known for their tolerance. Where was Al Sharpton ???

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post

I guess the stones offered the Hell Angels something like "all the beer you can drink" to provide security!!

they charged one of the Angels but he was acquitted - self defense because Hunter had a gun. The Angel who was charged drowned in 1985. He had $10,000 in cash on him.

endsleigh03 Guest

Ummm...which part of thats-the-stupidest-idea-ever did they not get?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    they charged one of the Angels but he was acquitted - self defense because Hunter had a gun. The Angel who was charged drowned in 1985. He had $10,000 in cash on him.
    Petty cash for one of those guys

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Ummm...which part of thats-the-stupidest-idea-ever did they not get?

I read the stones had used a biker gang in england called the "English Angels". I Guess the Engish Angels were not very violent?

So they figured with a name like "Hells angels" they must be just as nice and sweet as the english angels!!!

So that is supposedly why they used them?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    thanks, i just found a clip on the net also. the police closed the case on Hunter's death in 2005. You have to wonder if Hunter's death was racially motivated - he was there with a white girl and the Angels are not known for their tolerance. Where was Al Sharpton ???
    He was straightening his hair with the Jehri Curl

endsleigh03 Guest
    I read the stones had used a biker gang in england called the "English Angels". I Guess the Engish Angels were not very violent?

So they figured with a name like "Hells angels" they must be just as nice and sweet as the english angels!!!

So that is supposedly why they used them?

LOL. Then they shoulda thought again. I am not sure about the 60's version of the English "Hells Angels" , but I know a couple of years back I was looking and found there was a chapter over there, but somehow I am thinking it just isn't the same as any years version of our Hells Angels ***grins*** Darn it, Danny! Now I gotta google this.
    Ok, one web blurb I read said 13 chapters in Britain alone, tho they don't give headcounts. I think the Angels, American and otherwise, deserve a thread of their own, for better or worse. (or would we then be reading about our own deaths at FAD? lol)
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 10-31-2007 at 08:22 PM.

onehunglow Guest
    As a biker with another club (now retired and wear no colors) I can tell you the guy had it coming. There was video on You Tube. They should have hired a real club.

12. 11-01-2007, 05:18 AM

looking at the video, i was amazed how close the people were to the stage. Some people were actually on the stage. Also, there were no lawsuits. Today, everybody including the Stones would be sued for wrongful death, negligence, etc.

Finally, Grace Slick was sexy way back then.

magblax Guest
    Here's a weblink with an insiders story about the event and some still photos http://www.morethings.com/music/roll...els/index.html
    These images are from Gimme Shelter (awesome movie..I must have watched it 50 times).
    He can also be found on findagrave.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Here's a weblink with an insiders story about the event and some still photos http://www.morethings.com/music/roll...els/index.html
    These images are from Gimme Shelter (awesome movie..I must have watched it 50 times).
    He can also be found on findagrave.

thanks, magblax

GODDESS6 Guest
    does anyone have the link to any video of this?~ thanx~

Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    does anyone have the link to any video of this?~ thanx~

here is a story done by a local tv station. Hunter's girlfriend seems real stupid.

www.ktvu.com/video/4533917/index.html

18. 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM

19. 11-02-2007, 08:16 PM

GODDESS6 Guest
    here is a story done by a local tv station. Hunter's girlfriend seems real stupid.

www.ktvu.com/video/4533917/index.html
    thanx for the link!!!~

Danny62 Guest

Meredith Hunter...Altamont Victim

was a spectator at the infamous Altamont Free Concert. During the performance by The Rolling Stones, Hunter was stabbed and killed by a Hell's Angel. The incident was caught on camera and became a central scene in the documentary Gimme Shelter.

Hunter was described by friends as a flashy dresser with a big afro. During a scuffle at the Altamont Free Concert he fired a revolver and was fatally stabbed directly in front of the stage during The Rolling stones' performance as they played "Under My Thumb." He died en route to the hospital. The killing itself was recorded in the documentary Gimme Shelter. Allan Passaro a 21-year-old member of the Hells Angels was charged with the crime, but Passaro claimed he acted in Self-Defense. Passaro was acquitted. An autopsy showed that Hunter was on methamphetamines when he died.

There had been rumors, over the years, that a second, unidentified assailant had inflicted the fatal wounds, and, as a result, the police considered the case still open. On 25 May, 2005, the Alameda County Sheriff's Office announced that it was officially closing the stabbing case. Investigators, concluding a renewed two-year investigation, dismissed the theory that a second Hells Angel took part in the stabbing.

Perhaps because of early, incorrect reporting by Rolling Stone Magazine, an urban legend holds that the song playing when Hunter was killed was "Sympathy for the Devil" This is false â?? while that song was part of the Rolling Stones set at the show, they were performing "Under My Thumb" when Hunter was stabbed.

The death of Hunter and the Altamont Free concert was later viewed as the end of innocence and the end of the sixties and hippiedom.
    Mr. Hunter was interred on December 10, 1969 at the Skyview Memorial Lawn in Vallejo California.

There is a short documentary film by Sam Green titled, Lot 63, Grave C(Hunter's gravesite), which sheds more light upon Meredith's last day and the questions that remain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jaxxx Guest
    I never knew this, hummmmmmm, I know I wouldn't piss off a Hells Angel

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    I never knew this, hummmmmmm, I know I wouldn't piss off a Hells Angel

I heard all the Hell angels wanted for payment was as much beer as they could drink!!!

I hear they roughed up the crowd pretty good.

Story has it the Stone thought they were like the Engilsh Version of the Hells Angels. And the English Hells Angels were a peaceful Biker gang!

at least that is what Mick Jagger Claimed!!!

Jaxxx Guest
    wow, I know that I have run into several of these guys at concerts or a biker bar on a poker run, and I just don't want anything to do with them, I wonder what part race played in this murder

Danny62 Guest
    wow, I know that I have run into several of these guys at concerts or a biker bar on a poker run, and I just don't want anything to do with them, I wonder what part race played in this murder
    I read a book on this and I hear a big part was race related! I have seen a little of the film but its really hard to tell what is happening.

I read he never pulled the gun until he was attacked by the Angels.

Jaxxx Guest
    going to get the book, now I'm interested. Love learning new facts, especially about events that happened in my lifetime, not sure why I never heard this.

Danny62 Guest
    going to get the book, now I'm interested. Love learning new facts, especially about events that happened in my lifetime, not sure why I never heard this.

I read about this years ago! Its a good story! Yeah a Free concert...the Stones made a ton of money on the movie. The crowd were just free extras in the movie!! LOL

Hendrix was at the festival...didn't play but attended!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    It all unfolds in the documentary Gimmie Shelter....very tense moments...it's a wonder
    more weren't killed

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    It all unfolds in the documentary Gimmie Shelter....very tense moments...it's a wonder
    more weren't killed
    I will have to rent the movie! I hear the Angels were attacking anyone who came near the stage.

I will have to rent the movie! I hear the Angels were attacking anyone who came near the stage.
    They were out of control.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

KristinEileen Guest
    I saw something about this on VH1 not long ago...Those Hell's Angels are scary dudes!

can't believe anyone in their right minds would think it a GOOD idea to use Hells Angels for 'security.'
    why not just let a bunch of 12 foot crocodiles roam free to police up any stray pets.

Helby Guest
    dont agree with this videos point of view on the thing..but it has the footage....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9WcwTbErw

Helby Guest
    better video without all the babble defending the biker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4wHsY2Q04

Helby Guest

jefferson airplane marty balin

gets hit in the head by hells angel. can also see them attacking people for no reason...what a bunch of douchebags.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl9-1aCVxCo

RaRaRamona Guest
    That's not at all how I pictured it going down. They were all so close. That's not how the HA guy described it either.

lisalouver Guest
    Never heard of this story, thanks for posting it.

Couple questions for anyone who may know. Were the Hells Angels there as bodyguards or just to listen to the concert?

Why did the dead guy fire a shot? Not that anyone could ask him, but...do they think he was shooting at someone, or just popping off a round for the hell of it?

cherryghost Guest
    I believe the Stones really regretted having the bikers as security! 'All that Sympathy for the Devil' kinda backfired! The bikers were hired I think by the Stones for security!They were getting huge!

cherryghost Guest
    The movie 'Gimme Shelter' which I havent seen for years goes into it! But basically it was the Stones who were responsible for the bikers and they were not just fans but employed to act as security! I think the bikers were out of control from the beginning of the concert but in the movie, if I recall you see they were heavy and the Stones realised it too late.
    Last edited by cherryghost; 01-22-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Couple questions for anyone who may know. Were the Hells Angels there as bodyguards or just to listen to the concert? (snip)
    They were hired as security for the gig.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I once worked with someone who was friends with the HA - altho he would never claim as being a member of the "club" (and this guy was a hard-core biker dude).

Yeah, never piss a biker off! I've heard some pretty scary stories about the HA and the Mongols from this guy I worked with!

cherryghost Guest
    As I said ,the Stones employed the bikers as security for their concert at Altamont!

Edit because I just saw this post:
    As I said ,the Stones employed the bikers as security for their concert at Altamont!
    They sure did.

I've heard about this one ever since I was a kid. I was too young to actually be there or see anything though. I just heard rumors flying all around about who was really responsible. Another reason why I love the internet: I can see and decide for myself.

One word: Awful. As in it's awful what happened to that guy.

Side Note: I used to work with a guy who was a Hell's Angel in his youth (He's about 15 years older than I am.). He got busted for drugs back then and was sent to prison to serve a 25 year sentence. After doing 8 years, he was let go with another 25 years on parole. When I met him, he only had five years left on parole.

During the time he was out, the guy completely disavowed the criminal life and cut all ties with the Hell's Angels. He had a hard time getting a job and a decent place to live though. Worked in body shops and washed dishes for years. Then the place he worked for sold the joint to people who were horrified by his past. (He never did drugs again after his conviction and I could see he was not giving me lip service either.) Something he'd done almost 30 years prior and had an unblemished record ever since. They let him go. I hired him. One of the hardest working guys I ever worked with.

I still chat with him now and then through email. The guy is now married, has a family, his wife knows all about his past etc. The same guy who could barely rent a place because of his former association with the Hell's Angels and former conviction has also bought a Victorian that he and his wife are restoring in another state. He's also got his own business going. Nothing fancy but he said it's a dream come true for him.

He's also a big ol' teddy bear. But sometimes you can see how it's possible for such a big, sweet guy to have been in the Hell's Angel when somebody pisses him off. He doesn't do anything violent, but I can see it in his eyes. Not something you'd want to fuck with. When that came out, whoever was bothering him left him the hell alone immediately.

Why am I telling you guys this? I dunno. Maybe because I'm so glad he got out of the Hell's Angels and got his shit together. I would trust this guy with anything. I have in the past and he's never let me down.

He's also a former Navy Seal and Vietnam Veteran.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-22-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    They were hired as security for the gig.

They were paid with all the free beer they could drink!! Scary to have drunk Hells Angels providing security!!

cherryghost Guest
    Hells Angels are not always so evil, I wish I knew more of how they they worked, but there are components like any group or gang that get organised and evil and good work amongst those gangs! I had parents who were bikers in the 50's cus they rode bikes and loved them, matchless, sidecares etc, they were on the roads alone in the 50's 60's and said people did help them and see them as less threatening then, Brando's wild ones springs to mind, and I loved the fact my parents were on bikes, travelling the highway, even when my mum was pregnant with me!

I had a cousin in the 70's killed off a bike on a highway hitting a bus, I have a close biker friend now who has dealt with drugs, rape and all types of abuse in his life,through association or life. Im not afraid of the bikers I meet, but I dont seek them! They have their own manefesto's now I think and some groups are hard and violent! But many bikers are just that and want to ride and be free.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Hells Angels are not always so evil, I wish I knew more of how they they worked, but there are components like any group or gang that get organised and evil and good work amongst those gangs! I had parents who were bikers in the 50's cus they rode bikes and loved them, matchless, sidecares etc, they were on the roads alone in the 50's 60's and said people did help them and see them as less threatening then, Brando's wild ones springs to mind, and I loved the fact my parents were on bikes, travelling the highway, even when my mum was pregnant with me!

I had a cousin in the 70's killed off a bike on a highway hitting a bus, I have a close biker friend now who has dealt with drugs, rape and all types of abuse in his life,through association or life. Im not afraid of the bikers I meet, but I dont seek them! They have their own manefesto's now I think and some groups are hard and violent! But many bikers are just that and want to ride and be free.
    True. I don't know if this is a national biker gang but they have a biker gang here in Salt Lake called I believe "Bikers against Child abuse."

I know they have taken kids who have been abused on outings and generally been a support group for kids who have been victims of abuse!!

I think thats really neat!!

cherryghost Guest
    Yeah there is a very romantic ideal of bikers that must be cherished for the great ones who do ride bikes, I dont know who they are but given time I know with my research skills and a great govt grant I could put a lot of the bikie myth into perspective.Like any alternative lifestyle there is good and bad, you have given me an idea here, I dont know if I have the clout but I have known many bike riders over the years and they have been driven, romantics, who love life, love and music etc. My Parents loved the freedom of the sidecar, and dad loved a matchless,

My grandmother survived being chocked to death by a scarf she was wearing on a bike that got caught while she was with a lover on a bike, who had to burn her lovely silk scarf when it got caught in the wheels of the bike circa 1929.

I got a romantic thing for bikes, bikers I still have that for!

magblax Guest
    There is another thread on here about this http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...eredith+hunter

I posted a link with some still shots of Meredith. There is no love lost in the bay area between the Angels and the Black people from Oakland (especially in the early 60s/70s). Meredith was with a white girl and pulled a gun. The Angels/security after a day of partying took matters into their hands with the authority they were given.

Thanks Mag.

Merged.

I read a book on this and I hear a big part was race related! I have seen a little of the film but its really hard to tell what is happening.

I read he never pulled the gun until he was attacked by the Angels.
    Sounds like he should have fired the gun as well; at least he could have taken a couple of his attackers down with him.

I don't know any of the details of this incident; but I've heard stories about how out of control the "Angels" were; and what a nightmare their "security" detail became.

C'mon; "security" guards that work for beer! The Stones (and everyone else) would have better off to hire a bunch of young Mormon guys for security. Sure; they would have wanted all of the band mates to wear white shirts and neck ties; but the biggest complaint we would have heard from that is, "they ripped off my weed; man!"

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Sounds like he should have fired the gun as well; at least he could have taken a couple of his attackers down with him.

I don't know any of the details of this incident; but I've heard stories about how out of control the "Angels" were; and what a nightmare their "security" detail became.

C'mon; "security" guards that work for beer! The Stones (and everyone else) would have better off to hire a bunch of young Mormon guys for security. Sure; they would have wanted all of the band mates to wear white shirts and neck ties; but the biggest complaint we would have heard from that is, "they ripped off my weed; man!"
    He didn't have time to fire the gun. He pulled it (for whatever reason) and was stabbed too quickly to even aim right.

Here is a quote from Sonny Barger (in an interview) http://pdr.autono.net/SonnyBarger.html

DeRienzoâ??What about the Rolling Stones. Altamont is like the hippieâ??s big downfall.
    BARGER â??They say that was the end of the Age of Aquarius, but actually to us itâ??s just another day in the life of a Hellâ??s Angel. A guy pulled a gun on us, he got killed and thatâ??s the bottom line. We got movies of him shooting at us, we got movies of him getting killed and nobody went to jail for it. There was a trial, everybody was acquitted.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    The movie 'Gimme Shelter' which I havent seen for years goes into it! But basically it was the Stones who were responsible for the bikers and they were not just fans but employed to act as security! I think the bikers were out of control from the beginning of the concert but in the movie, if I recall you see they were heavy and the Stones realised it too late.
    Could you imagine Mick Jaggar telling the HA, "you're fired!"?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    He didn't have time to fire the gun. He pulled it (for whatever reason) and was stabbed too quickly to even aim right.

Here is a quote from Sonny Barger (in an interview) http://pdr.autono.net/SonnyBarger.html

DeRienzoâ??What about the Rolling Stones. Altamont is like the hippieâ??s big downfall.
    BARGER â??They say that was the end of the Age of Aquarius, but actually to us itâ??s just another day in the life of a Hellâ??s Angel. A guy pulled a gun on us, he got killed and thatâ??s the bottom line. We got movies of him shooting at us, we got movies of him getting killed and nobody went to jail for it. There was a trial, everybody was acquitted.
    I've always heard Sonny Barger say they were acting in self defense. I couldn't see anything like that in the video - did I miss it? I always believed him b/c he seemed sincere. He did some bad things too though so I just don't know.