Thread: Jeff Chandler

Jeff Chandler

A great actor who died early -age 42- in a routine operation for a slipped disc. He was a good athlete frequently going to the SF Giants spring training and working out with the team.

His death from blood poisoning following surgery was deemed malpractice and resulted in a large lawsuit and settlement for his children.

His former lover Esther Williams, in her tell-all 1999 biography, put Chandler back in the headlines after asserting that he was a cross-dresser. She told him, "Jeff, you're too big for polka dots." Ester broke it off after that.

He was good looking too.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His former lover Esther Williams, in her tell-all 1999 biography, put Chandler back in the headlines after asserting that he was a cross-dresser. She told him, "Jeff, you're too big for polka dots." Ester broke it off after that.
    i felt disapointed after reading Esther's bio. Great anecdotes and overall an entertaining read, but she tells too much, imo. She should have kept some information to herself.
    Back to Jeff,i love his work in IRON MAN, THE TATTERED DRESS and RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE.

Kathyf Guest
    He died so young. That's funny what Esther said about the poka dots.

I haven't read the book but some things should be kept out of
    print. It's okay to tell some personal memories but there should
    be limits at least out of respect to his daughters unless they
    are dead now.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    He was a handsome man! Yes, that Esther seems to be one of those people like Christina Crawford and B. D. Hyman who are desperate for some quick cash, and write a book full of unflattering tidbits. I don't need to know that he donned a dress. Shame on Esther Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    He was a handsome man! Yes, that Esther seems to be one of those people like Christina Crawford and B. D. Hyman who are desperate for some quick cash, and write a book full of unflattering tidbits. I don't need to know that he donned a dress. Shame on Esther Williams!
    the deal with esther williams book is that it seemed more like she was getting even than anything else. it just didn't ring true. but who knows

leevancleef Guest
    She was hateful in that book. i could never like a person who writes a book and all she does is bashing her collegues.
    What she did to Jeff is unforgivable imo, he was long dead when she wrote that book. Shame on her.

[SIZE=4]M[/SIZE]any of those who were part of the movie business during that era were outraged when ESTHER WILLIAMS wrote that JEFF CHANDLER was a transvestite; most saying it was bullshit. There weren't any accounts from any of his other girlfriends etc.... Who's to say ? You always wonder when these things surface years after some of those involved are dead.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    A great actor who died early -age 42- in a routine operation for a slipped disc. He was a good athlete frequently going to the SF Giants spring training and working out with the team.

His death from blood poisoning following surgery was deemed malpractice and resulted in a large lawsuit and settlement for his children.

My orthopedic surgeon wants me to have disc fusion surgery...this makes me even more weary...

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    My orthopedic surgeon wants me to have disc fusion surgery...this makes me even more weary...
    Well, hopefully conditions have improved in the past 46 years though there accidents can happen.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Could a chiropracter fix the problem?
    If it's not life threatining, get a second opinion.

Nowereman Guest

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frock.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1996  

TheMysterian Guest
    Shortly after completing his role in Merrill's Marauders in 1961, he injured his back while playing baseball with U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers who served as extras in the movie. Chandler entered a Culver City hospital and had surgery for a spinal disc herniation on May 13, 1961. There were severe complications, an artery was damaged and Chandler hemorrhaged. In a seven and a half hour emergency operation over and above the original surgery, he was given 55 pints of blood. Another operation followed, date unknown, where he received an additional 20 pints of blood. He expired June 17, 1961. His death was deemed malpractice and resulted in a large lawsuit and settlement for his children.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Wasn't he Lana Turner's squeeze in "Peyton Place" ??

cherryghost Guest
    Love the frock Jeff is wearing in those pictures! Its interesting Esther wrote all that stuff, she was old enough to have bit of wisdom! Usually books that contain lots of vitriol and lies become know for being just that! There is almost a seperated shelf in the bookshop!

NOVSTORM Guest
    Ester forgot to mention many mnay thing about her.LOL Guess she made up for that by trashing Jeff.
    He made a movie with this dark haired woman. I only saw it one. Apparently he had their child and had told the child her mother was dead for some reason. It was a tear jerker. I always thught the woman he stared with was ava gardner? I wish someone could remember that movies name. I had the biggest crush on him and still do LOL